Start by marking “Between Two Evils” as Want to Read:
Between Two Evils

Between Two Evils

(DI Zigic and DS Ferreira #5)

As the country bakes under the relentless summer sun, a young doctor is found brutally murdered at his home in a picturesque Cambridgeshire village. Is his death connected to his private life - or his professional one? Dr Joshua Ainsworth worked at an all-female detention centre, one still recovering from a major scandal a few years before. Was he the whistle-blower - or a ...more
Published February 6th 2020 by Raven Books

To ask other readers questions about Between Two Evils, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Two Evils

Start your review of Between Two Evils
Paromjit
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is brilliant addition to Eva Dolan's stellar crime fiction series set in Peterborough featuring the diligent DI Dushan Zigic and the more gut instinct, if more emotional, DS Mel Ferreira. Dolan writes gritty and complex crime fiction, diverse, character driven and which reflects the contemporary state of nation issues dominating the country, but without compromising the story. In a sweltering summer, in a Cambridgeshire village the brutally murdered body of Dr Joshua Ainsworth is discovered ...more
Emma
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Between Two Evils, the 5th instalment of the DI Zigic and DS Ferreira series, has Eva Dolan turning her searching gaze towards yet another significant social question: the multifaceted forms of racism and abuse experienced by immigrants to the UK. When a doctor is found dead in his home, his work in the local all-female detention centre provides an obvious avenue for investigation, especially when the detectives discover his role in whistle-blowing a culture of horrifying misconduct. But that’s ...more
Roman Clodia
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dolan writes intelligent police procedurals with one eye on the current news and a social conscience never far from the surface. For all that, she's never overly predictable (for example, not all the protesters against a local immigration centre/prison-alike are salubrious...) With gestures towards Brexit, the rise of racial hate crimes and a focus on bullying and abuse, this is topical but not at the expense of a gripping story. My only criticism is that we have a clichéd climax (view spoiler) ...more
Marina Sofia
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
God, I love this series - so glad that Eva Dolan is returning to it! I love the way she presents complex realities without preaching or showing either side as being too angelic!
Longer review here: https://findingtimetowrite.wordpress....
Anne Fenn
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
A compelling read, great characters and plot. Set in UK fenland again, (different detectives) and a detention centre inmates. Good insights into pressures of modern policing, affected by mistakes, errors, revisions etc. Only gripe is it’s length - a mighty tome of a book, allowing for endless accounts of psychology of interviewing persons of interest and very detailed building of a case.
Michael Rumney
Nov 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
A police procedural where detectives investigate a murder of a doctor who works at a female detention centre. This feels very contemporary with references to Brexit, immigration and asylum seekers in the UK.
This is the fifth book in the series and although this is a stand alone novel I felt you had to have read some of the others to understand the main characters more.
The ending was a little unexpected not in terms of who did it, but we learn how one of the main characters, DS Ferreira now has
Nicki
The fifth book in the DI Zigic and DS Ferreira series and it was great to pick up with my two favourite detectives again. This story is set around a murdered doctor who worked at a all-female detention centre. Josh Ainsworth comes across as spotless, but was he really?

At the same time as they’re looking into the murder, a highly dangerous criminal has just been released from prison looking to cause a whole lot of trouble for the police and anyone else he comes into contact with. Can Zigic and Fe
Mary Picken
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are two writers who are never less than razor sharp when it comes to marrying crime fiction with contemporary societal concerns and whose books are a must read when they come out. Sarah Hilary is one; Eva Dolan the other.

I love Dolan’s writing; whether stand-alone like the excellent This Is How It Ends or part of a series. Between Two Evils is the 5th in the Zigic and Ferreira series and a welcome return to these two excellent characters.

D.S. Mel Ferreira is still smouldering, six months a
Fionna
Jan 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
I can’t believe that this is the first time I have even heard of Eva Dolan - I clearly need to keep my ear closer to the ground. The second book I have read so far this year set during the heatwave in 2018 (see my review here) - and it is still a good idea reading these in January!

A doctor is found murdered in his home, days after returning from a holiday. He works in one of the detention centres set up in Tory Britain to create a hostile environment for any immigrants who aren’t of the right so
Schopflin
Oct 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished-in-2020
This took me a long time to get into. It's the first I've read by this author and I didn't warm to Ferreira, and was frustrated by Zigic. But given time, the very good writing and attention to detail drew me in. Things like - it's summer and the professional women are wearing linen shift dresses. Other writers would just have them in suits as usual. There are some brilliant lines too. It's a serious book, with depressingly convincing details (in this case about sexual violence and the asylum sys ...more
Christopher Williams
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book from Eva Dolan who is rapidly becoming one of my favourite English authors. Again, set in Peterborough with Zigic and Fereira now back in CID after the disbanding of the Hate Crimes Unit they had previously been in.

Two main strands to the story. The first is the murder of a doctor who had worked at a detention centre for women who were deemed illegal immigrants and awaiting probable deportation.
The second involved the release of a serial rapist who has been released on a
Sarmīte
Jan 10, 2021 rated it it was ok
Grāmatas intriga bija pat ļoti ok, bet - nezinu, kas pie tā vainojams, lasīt bija diezgan garlaicīgi. Iespējams, tāpēc, ka šī ir sērijas DI Zigic and DS Ferreira PIEKTĀ grāmata (piektā, Karl!!!!!!), un, iespējams, tāpēc galveno detektīvu tēli likās kā baltas lapas- acīmredzot pirmajās 4 sērijas grāmatās jau tikuši gana aprakstīti. Nu un, protams, jau mazliet sāk apnikt tā bēgļu un imigrantu glorificēšana. Laikam šī nebūs mana autore:)
Elizabeth Allen
May 09, 2020 rated it liked it
A good read. Excellent plotting and intricate planning. I'm not taking to the two lead detectives that much but the story is very good, the outcome not what I expected and the last half dozen chapters in particular are very good. Lots of social commentary which doesn't spoil the book but makes it interesting and relevant. Will definitely be reading more of her novels. ...more
Ann Tonks
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
A well crafted story of two different challenges - a murder to solve and a criminal to return to prison. I hadn't read any of this series before and I found it really fascinating that the two leads, police with different European backgrounds, face racial/ethnic discrimination. Does that help explain Brexit? Anyway, enough of the politics. It was engaging read. ...more
Martha Brindley
Jul 28, 2020 rated it liked it
This is another good read in the Eva Dolan series. I struggle to like Eva though but the book is well written and has a good, well planned and interesting plot. It is set in recent time and features Brexit, hate crimes and is a good police procedural with plenty twists. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.
neil fowler
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

Did not think it was a5star the characters are described very well in fact, disappointment a couple are not charged. I'm saying that I will buy more of Eva's books. Hoping the next is a5
Alex Rogers
Jan 31, 2021 rated it really liked it
Very competent, well written police procedural set in the UK. Strongly character driven, well developed, intelligent writing, I enjoyed it and will look for more in this series.
Didde Elnif
Jan 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Dolan er simpelthen en af de mest gedigne krimiforfattere. Noget på hjerte, samfunds-indigneret og strukturen på plads. Det er en fornøjelse.
Martin
Sep 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
My first and LAST of this series. I read a review which was way to kind: I was so so not into this book on all levels. Surprised that I DNF but I did....
Sarit Perkol
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-translations
מעניין, כתוב היטב, משלב את עניין היחס לפליטים ולמהגרים באירופה
Emma
Oct 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had me gripped the whole way through. Am going to make sure I've read all of her other books now. ...more
Jo-jean Keller
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading Between Two Evils! Well written with numerous plot twists. Characters likeable and interesting!
Jo-anne Atkinson
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Hate Crimes unit has now been disbanded and Zigic and Ferreira are working in the major crimes division. When a doctor is found murdered his background at the local deportation detention centre seems to be the key, particularly as he had recently resigned. Meanwhile a problem with the forensic science team means that a convicted violent serial rapist has been released.
Dolan writes interesting and modern police procedurals. Both Zigic and Ferreira are from immigrant backgrounds and this tens
Heather
Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for sending me an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed Eva Dolan’s This Is How It Ends, and was interested to read this book. I struggled to get into it at first, but by about the halfway mark, I was intrigued to see what was going to happen. I haven’t read any of the other books in the Zigic and Ferreira series, so I had no familiarity with the characters or their backstories.

The book is set in recent times against a backdrop of Brexit,
Jen
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-challenge
I was late coming to the Zigic and Ferreira books (I know - you're shocked right?) but I have enjoyed catching up with them and the complex cases that they are tasked with solving. Between Two Evils is their first case following the disbandment of the Hate Crimes unit that they previously fronted and yet it doesn't see them stepping too far beyond their comfort zone, with their main case that of the murder of a Doctor who works in a detention centre for female illegal immigrants. Alongside this ...more
Christine Rennie
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
With thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the Arc, which I have enjoyed reading.
Between Two Evils by Eva Dolan is another in the Zigic and Ferreira series. There is a convicted rapist released from prison on a technicality and the death of a doctor who had worked at an Immigration Detention Centre. Will the rapist end up raping again? Will the murderer be found who killed the doctor? It is another tense, topical storyline, particularly with Brexit looming and the increase of racial attacks
Chris Nolan
Jan 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This excellent series goes from strength to strength and Eva Dolan keeps it fresh by mixing things up when necessary. No longer are Dushan Zigic and Mel Ferreira working for the Hate Crimes unit but they are still involved in some fascinating cases. When a doctor in a facility for women who are awaiting deportation or permission to stay is found murdered, there are a number of possible culprits and there are a number of unexpected revelations. In addition a prisoner who is released on a technica ...more
Greville Waterman
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the burgeoning Zigic and Ferreira series, of which this is the fifth. Eva Dolan's last was a standalone thriller which I enjoyed but in my humble opinion was not a patch onthis one.

I love the two main characters and how their difficult pasts are interwoven so skilfully and empathetically with the plot.

I will not provide any spoilers but will just say that I read this almost tin one sitting and was totally engrossed by the plot and the various red herrings that needed to be explored.

This i
Feb 24, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Escape Room
  • Bury Them Deep (Inspector McLean #10)
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • The Perfect Wife
  • After the Fire (Maeve Kerrigan, #6)
  • Remain Silent
  • Found
  • The Warehouse
  • Blood Orange
  • The Passengers
  • The Familiars
  • A Favor for a Favor (All In, #2)
  • The Party
  • Grit: The Power of Passion and Perseverance
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic #1)
  • Wakenhyrst
  • The Disappearances
Eva Dolan was shortlisted for the CWA Dagger for unpublished authors when only a teenager. The four novels in her Zigic and Ferreira series have been published to widespread critical acclaim: Tell No Tales and After You Die were shortlisted for the Theakston’s Crime Novel of the Year Award and After You Die was also longlisted for the CWA Gold Dagger. She lives in Cambridge.

@eva_dolan

DI Zigic and DS Ferreira (5 books)
  • Long Way Home (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #1)
  • Tell No Tales (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #2)
  • After You Die (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #3)
  • Watch Her Disappear (DI Zigic and DS Ferreira, #4)