Start by marking “Above the Fold” as Want to Read:

Above the Fold

After losing the love of her life to a big city journalism job, Elissa Tillman pours herself into the suffragette movement and her secretarial work helping keep her father’s Pittsburgh newspaper afloat.

Cole Parker returns to the steel city with the phantom failures of his past nipping his heels. All he asks of the future is a second chance with the woman he once spurned.
Published December 3rd 2019 by Smitten Historical Romance (first published December 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Above the Fold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Above the Fold

Start your review of Above the Fold
Staci
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
This debut was well shared over social media. After seeing it so many times and finding a copy at my library, I decided to give this novel a try.

The heroine is very career focused in a time when women were expected to be wives and not in the workforce. Elissa works for her father at his newspaper, but craves a larger role and more respect. Her former beau Cole, has learned from his mistakes and simply wants to re-earn Elissa's heart.

The story line was engaging. I look forward to seeing what thi
Kailey
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a stunning debut novel from Rachel Scott McDaniel!! I was so wrapped up in this story that I read it all in one sitting! It was that good! I loved Cole and Elissa! I’m really looking forward to reading more from her! Definitely a 5 star book!

I was given a complimentary copy of this ebook from the author, but was not required to write a review. The thoughts and comments are my own.
Sarah Sundin
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a blast! In Above the Fold, the Roaring Twenties in Pittsburgh comes to life, from the sooty streets to the speakeasies to the raucous world of journalism. Both Cole and Elissa are appealing – strong and sassy, but deeply vulnerable – and their romance is swoon-worthy. Rachel Scott McDaniel‘s debut novel will keep you flipping pages to the end!
Courtney Clark
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My first book finished in 2020 & it's set in the "roaring" 1920s! :)

Above the Fold is a fun and romantic debut from author Rachel Scott McDaniel! It has everything one would want in a 1920s tale: snappy dialogue, a thrilling mystery to investigate, a competition between rival formerly-romantically-entangled reporters, swoony romance, and deeply expressed themes of forgiveness, unconditional love, and a heavenly Father who never forsakes.

Reading a historical novel like this with simultaneous fun
MJSH
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Seems to me, Spark, you can’t value the beauty until you understand the journey.”

What a fun debut by Rachel Scott McDaniel! It has strong and passionate and sassy characters, a well-paced and smoothly flowing plot, a great thread of intrigue and suspense that plays out with surprising twists and turns, and a romance that’s frustrating but also tender and sweet. The author also weaves into the plot the growth of women’s rights and the hypocrisy found during the Prohibition era in the city of Pit
Natalie Walters
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You guys! You guys!! YOU GUYYYYYYSSS!!

Oh, this book is absolutely one of my favorites of all time!! Debut author, Rachel Scott McDaniel nails it and I am ready for more!!

This story has it all! Swoon-worthy hero, flawed but steadfast in his purpose and love. A heroine full of gumption, tenacity, and raw but endearing insecurities. The plot is divine with mystery, twists, humorous wit, and the kind of one-liners that'll remind you why the old black and white movies of a bygone era are treasures.
Jocelyn Green
What an impressive debut novel from Rachel Scott McDaniel! This girl can write!! If you're up for a race to get the scoop in Roaring 20s Pittsburgh, give this story a try. It's well-paced, with robust characterization, witty dialogue, and richly detailed historical setting and culture. The ending was extremely satisfying, and the spiritual threads were sensitively woven throughout. I can't wait to see what this author writes next. ...more
Kathryn
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! Review to come!

From the very beginning of this book, Rachel McDaniel had me completely hooked on the characters and story! Going into the story, I wasn't completely sure what to expect, but she surprised me in the best way possible.
So, what was it about this book that I liked?
The characters! From the first page I was drawn into the story of Elissa and wanting to know more of her past and what made her who she was. I also fell in love with Cole nearly instantly. Yes, he had
Keren Herrera-Lyles
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Above the Fold is by far the most captivating story I have read. New Author to me Rachel McDaniel and her first debut story has me hooked and is a Must read.

Above the Fold is a story that words will not do it justice. The author has formatted this story in a way that captivates you with a mixture of Mystery, Suspense, Romance, Fun Charm and Faith in God which in return molds and blends it together forming this amazing story.

Set in Pittsburgh in the 20s, when alcohol was a number #1 thing and new
Paula Shreckhise
Above The Fold is a thoroughly enjoyable, well written debut novel by Rachel Scott McDaniel.
It is set in the roaring twenties and women have recently won the right to vote. Now Lissa Tillman has her sights set on comparable jobs and pay for women. She is an accomplished journalist and wants her by-line above the fold in her father’s newspaper.
This story has a no-nonsense heroine, a humble hero, Cole Parker, and a newspaper trying to stay afloat. It is during prohibition and the Pittsburgh Revi
Caitlyn Santi
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my word! This novel is absolutely phenomenal! I absolutely adored every moment of Elissa and Cole's story. I was swept away into another time from the moment I started reading, and I was completely absorbed in the story, to the point that I even forgot I was reading and instead felt that I was living the story alongside the characters, a true mark of a magnificent writer!
Everything about this book made my heart soar, and I found myself caught between not wanting to stop reading and wanting to
Ashley Johnson
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was such a treat! What a fabulous debut novel! An exciting plot combined with characters that felt real made this book a page turner for me. I absolutely loved the writing style and the plot kept me guessing until the final pages! Twists and turns, oh my! Cole is my hero! His confidence and sense of humor were the perfect combination! Elissa was passionate and driven, and while I might have wanted to thump her pretty head a time or two, she was a solid character that I was able to conn ...more
Abigail Harris
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Review of Above The Fold by Rachel Scott McDaniel
The cover, the Twenties, the blue, the blurb, the look of the characters on the cover, old flames, redemption, coming back to what you knew, journalists, all of this makes Above The Line a shockingly wonderful book. Signing up to read this on a hunch that it would be good was a smart idea, because this was good. A new author to be on the lookout for, the suspense, the romance, the newspaper, all tells a story of the past and makes me miss somet
Becky
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
This book is so much fun! It felt a little "His Girl Friday" to me, which is a good thing! Cole and Elissa are such a good match, and I enjoyed their sparring ... and then once they finally got around to romance, that was good, too!

The novel centers around the murder of Cole's mentor—Cole and Elissa "compete" for the story that will run in the newspaper (although one party seems much more into the competition than the other!). This murder mystery has lots of fun twists and turns, and it was a gr
Nancy
Jan 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding debut novel. The author has written a beautiful historical novel, set in the 20s. A newspaper reporter, suffragist, daughter Elissa is wanting to run her fathers paper eventually. He hires her best friend and old flame Cole to help the paper. Cole is a swoon worthy guy and this story kept me reading page after page. I enjoyed the independent personality of Elissa. I received this book from the publisher. All views stated here are my own.
Abigail Wilson
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With a determined heroine, a beautifully crafted mystery, and a love story that sizzles off the page, Above the Fold was a joy to read! Rachel McDaniel has captured to perfection the roaring culture of the 1920’s newspaper business and the intricacies of two hearts yearning for a second chance at love. I couldn’t put it down.
Chloe Flanagan
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nothing beats the energy of a busy newsroom or the thrill of pursuing a hot lead. At least that’s how it is for aspiring journalist Elissa Tillman. But when the path to the perfect scoop leads to danger, self-doubt, and a competition with the man who once broke her heart, she will have to trust God more than her own investigative prowess, because there’s much more at stake than a byline.

Although it is set in the Roaring 20s, Above the Fold provides a timeless depiction of young adulthood: the a
June Jacobs
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This Christian historical romance is a well-written debut novel penned by a talented author.

The characters and setting in this story are filled with depth, purpose, and historical accuracy.

Elissa Tillman, the main character, is a young woman who is seeking to make her place in the world of journalism as a reporter, not just as a secretary or assistant to the men with whom she works. She is active in the women's suffrage movement of the 1920s and signals her support of the movement by wearing a
Samantha McCollough
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful Story

Above the Fold was an enthralling story of loss and finding love again when you feel like there’s no hope anymore. This book was beautifully written, and I very much enjoyed reading this story and taking this journey through the 1922’s with Elissa and Cole.
I also enjoyed learning about women’s suffrage and how they strived to be seen in a male-dominant profession. I could tell that Rachel studied hard and long for this book, and I appreciate the effort that she put into crafting
Janice Sisemore
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Above the Fold

Above the Fold is a historical book set in 1922. Elissa’s dad owns a newspaper and she likes to write articles for it. In that day and time women didn’t really much chances for real stories. Will Elissa get her chance to write what she really wants?

In Above the Fold Cole comes back after he had broken Elissa heart when he left town. Elissa is involved with someone else but will it last? Cole is hired by Elissa’s father and she is none too happy about it.

One of my favorite charac
Alexis
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rachel Scott McDaniel (the author) penned a detail-oriented, history honoring, riveting read in "Above the Fold."

I found this story to be very impressive for a debut book! I look forward to reading more stories penned by this author.

The author's story research into the world of Journalism was very impressive! It read like a book written by a newspaper journalist with years of experience on the job. The realness to this story was amazing!

Mystery laden moments in the plot were carried out in a way
Debra Slonek
I enjoyed this historical fiction novel centered around a second chance at romance storyline. Cole and Elissa had enjoyed a memorable romance until time, distance and choices separated them.

Years later, their lives collided together in a busy Pittsburgh newsroom and their reunion was off to a rocky start. There were adventures to be had, competitions to win and trust needed to be rebuilt from the ground up.

There were real dangers to be faced and mysteries to be solved. There were opportunities f
Nicole
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is rich in historical tidbits of all the things from the roaring 20's!
First time author Rachel Scott McDaniel has written a book that brings you into the news world in this time.
I really don't read much historical fiction from this era, so it was interesting to see how life was like during the prohibition era.
Cole was an awesome hero! He was thoughtful, protective and trying to do the right thing.
To be honest I had a hard time getting into Elissa. She came across as so hard and unforgi
Suzie Waltner
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

From the 1920s setting to the hero and heroine going toe-to-toe for a headline, to the unexpected twists, and moments of levity between Cole and Elissa, Above the Fold is a delightful and entertaining story from the first page to the last.

Rachel Scott McDaniel gives readers some Pittsburgh and women’s equality history while weaving a story of competition, romance, learning our value in being the person God created us to be, and the value of forgiveness.

This is a fresh and fun historical
Gloria Moseley
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had long anticipated receiving my copy of "Above the Fold" by Rachel Scott McDaniel, and I must say that the wordplay did not disappoint. Set in Pittsburgh during the heyday of the steel industry, and following close on the heels of World War I (ending in 1918), and the end of the suffragette movement (ratified in 1919), Elissa Tillman finds herself diligently working to make her mark in a "man's world". As fate would have it, she must compete against her former flame Cole Parker. The story of ...more
Patti Stockdale
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’ve wanted to read McDaniel’s award-winning debut, Above the Fold, for almost a year, and it didn’t disappoint. She drops the reader into 1922 Pittsburgh, where the hero and heroine work, compete, and flirt side-by-side at a newspaper office. It’s a fun ride. As much as I enjoyed the well-drawn characters and unpredictable plot, my favorite part of the book is McDaniel’s talent to turn a phrase. I’m a fan!
Jennifer Fluegge
Jan 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is well-written and kept my interest all the way through. I really appreciated the testimony of God working in both of the main characters’ lives as well and the author not glossing over their struggles as they ultimately allowed God to give them the grace necessary to do what was right.
Kav
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a debut! I love McDaniel's writing style -- beautifully descriptive without bogging down the story. Her words set the scenes and my imagination did the rest as I 'watched' Elissa and Cole find their footing both professionally and romantically. Love when a writer brings setting and characters to life in such a vivid way.

And, woohoo -- I'm a goner for reunion romances and this one is a doozy! Think clashing of wills and intermittent swooning all the way through. :-) Honestly, Elissa was a bi
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
How appropriate that this book is set in 1922, as we now enter the “roaring twenties” of the twenty-first century. Comparisons are inevitable, and to my surprise, as I read “Above the Fold”, I realized that while there has been progress, much remains the same. This story seems timeless in some ways because the conflicts and circumstances translate so well, both on a more superficial human level and on a deeper spiritual level. A mark of noteworthy fiction, this detail goes hand-in-hand with bein ...more
Inspirationalfictionreader
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I can’t believe Above the Fold is Rachel McDaniel’s debut novel! I really enjoyed this well written story. The setting, the roaring 20s, is such a fun one to read and this story is romantic and fun and has a great mystery!

I loved Cole. He was determined, humorous and he was so in love with Elissa. It did take me a bit longer to warm up to Elissa, but once I did, I was sold on them being together. I really loved her growth during the story. And, their whole pen thing was so sweet. I loved it!

I’m
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Hadley Beckett's Next Dish
  • Love You Truly
  • The Lost Lieutenant (Serendipity & Secrets, #1)
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • This Wandering Heart (Madison River Romance #1)
  • Set the Stars Alight
  • Veiled in Smoke (The Windy City Saga, #1)
  • A Portrait of Loyalty (The Codebreakers, #3)
  • Molly (Sewing in SoCal, #1)
  • The Red Ribbon (True Colors)
  • A Match for Emma (Mitchell's Crossroads, #3)
  • A Life Once Dreamed
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • To Steal a Heart (The Bleeker Street Inquiry Agency, #1)
  • Take a Chance on Me (A Misty River Romance #0.5)
  • Stay with Me (A Misty River Romance, #1)
  • Start With Me
  • The Crushing Depths (Coastal Guardians, #2)

News & Interviews