Start by marking “JALISCO, Latina Superhero” as Want to Read:
JALISCO, Latina Superhero

JALISCO, Latina Superhero

Paperback, 1st, 78 pages
Published September 16th 2019 by Phoenix Studios, LLC

To ask other readers questions about JALISCO, Latina Superhero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JALISCO, Latina Superhero

Start your review of JALISCO, Latina Superhero
Bruna Cabral
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! It's a beautiful and powerful story of a daughter's love for her mother. Our main character is willing to face the world to find her missing mother. Together with a group of women they will go on to fight the disappearance of several other women. We are talking about a story of family love, friendship, compassion and seeking your inner strength. The graphic novel will keep you entertained from the beginning to end with exciting moments. ...more
Shawna Baca
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Personally, I loved this graphic novel! Jalisco, a new superhero character and she is Latina?! This is the first time that I've read an action-packed adventure story with a young Latina protagonist.

Jalisco goes looking for her mother who is a folklorico dancer. She mysteriously vanishes in Guadalajara, Mexico, leaving Jalisco alone to survive with her pet chicken, Orito by her side. Jalisco desperately tries to find her mother, with no help from the police. Jalisco eventually is taken in by a w
Robyn Coburn
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I like the graphic style which complimented the story. The use of color to gently show flashbacks worked well. It looks like an interesting set of characters, that I would be glad to see more of.
Andrea Garcia
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
JALISCO is a graphic novel about a young girl who lives in Mexico, whose beloved mother vanishes in a swish. She tries to avenge her missing mother by doing what she was taught, dance folklorico. This is extraordinary given the fact it takes places entirely in a country where insecurity and femicides reign. Myself being a Mexican girl born a few hours away from Jalisco, I felt this novel wretch my heart. Very beautiful and a poignant reminder that women matter, and corruption and impunity are st ...more
Arya Sasne
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jalisco tells an important story of loss, strength, and sisterhood. The cultural representation is colorful and done so thoughtfully. The art is beautiful and truly shows the vibrancy of the culture. Jalisco is such a relatable character, a young Latina woman with dreams and struggles, showing her vivacious youth alongside the dangers of the world. She fights for justice in her own way, shedding light on the tragedy of missing women, and inspiring young women to believe in themselves. I would de ...more
Christine Torres
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A vibrant, colorful, and sympathetic graphic novel about a young girl who is able to transform her talents into the tools she needs to avenge the death of her mother, turning herself into a champion for women who've gone missing. She's a very relatable and dynamic hero who is shining a light on a tragic epidemic that no one seems to want to acknowledge - women in Mexico are disappearing in alarming numbers.
I look forward to reading more of her adventures.
Liv Graves
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jalisco is a colorful, vibrant telling of a darker story. This is a topic that is very important to shed light on and Kayden Phoenix really did it justice.

It is so important that we see female superheroes and in this story, we see a Latina protagonist who is not only wise, but tough. Jalisco uses her strengths and talents in order to fight a meaningful fight. She’s a relatable character who will inspire many young women. I am eager to read more of what is ahead!
Jessica B
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
so good, love it - love a good latina superhero story and this one is awesome!
Priya
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It is very well written, colorful graphic novel. A beautiful story about a daughter's love for her mother.
I usually don’t read action packed stories but this kept me interested till the end. Nice to read about women superheroes.
I look forward to reading more of her adventures.
Rasha
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to anyone looking for a wonderful, entertaining story with a great message. Can’t wait to read more of the author’s work.
Tania Jeudy
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A voice that is very much needed in this genre. Well written and beautiful artwork.
Veronica
Aug 28, 2020 rated it liked it

I loved the story concept, the illustrations are beautiful. I love the latinx representation but it could have been done better.

The author is trying to fit too much story in a very short comic. The story is rushed and feels like it’s missing...more. And that takes away from the enjoyment of comic.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the series as it continues and I have hope the author will grow in her storytelling as well.

Emme
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was ok
I would recommend this graphic novel to children interested in superhero stories who also have a Mexican background. I like that the text has a superhero of colour, the superhero did not have to suddenly possess superhuman abilities in order to be able to save others, and the concept art was included at the end of the text to showcase the process of creating the art.

As someone unfamiliar with Mexico and Mexican culture, I was unable to become fully immersed in the text since I was confused abou
Andrew
Mar 22, 2021
Anastasia Wiley
Oct 06, 2020
Kayden Phoenix
May 03, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Wendy
Juanita
Jul 25, 2020
Cherisse
Jul 26, 2020

• Tristan Strong Punches a Hole in the Sky (Tristan Strong #1)
  • Not My Idea: A Book About Whiteness
  • The Lovely and the Lost
  • Dear Sweet Pea (Dumplin', #2.5)
  • The Incredibly Dead Pets of Rex Dexter (The Incredibly Dead Pets of Rex Dexter, #1)
  • The Magical Reality of Nadia
  • The Hidden Knife
  • Fangs
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 2: Friendship to the Max
1 follower
Kayden Phoenix is a Chicana Writer and Director from Boyle Heights, California. She received a full ride academic scholarship to Loyola Marymount University where she acquired a BA in Business Administration, with an Emphasis in Marketing. Upon entering the industry, the first thing she noticed was the industry dominated standard- complete with character generalizations.

In response, she became a

News & Interviews