Start by marking “Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hex Hall (Hex Hall, #1)

Hex Hall

(Hex Hall #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  123,062 ratings  ·  8,211 reviews
Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father—an elusive European warlock—only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishme ...more
Published March 2nd 2010 by Hyperion Book CH

To ask other readers questions about Hex Hall, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Lisa Riggs
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  123,062 ratings  ·  8,211 reviews

Kristi
May 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, own-arc
I've wanted to be a witch forever. Long before anyone uttered the words Harry & Potter. You see, there was this awesome movie called Teen Witch. Have you seen it? Well the girl finds out she is witch, turns her little brother into a dog, gets to meet a famous singer AND snags the most popular boy at school. All because she had magical powers. I so wanted to be a witch.

Perhaps that is why I loved this book so much, or maybe it's because Hex Hall is a laugh-out-load, fast paced and easy read.
Jo
OK, I originally gave this 3.5 stars.. but I have decided just to give it 4 stars.

“I’m experiencing some teenage angst, Mrs Casnoff,” I answered. “I need to, like, write it in my journal or something.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Wow, I read that book in about five hours…. I probably should get some food. Laughter is the only sustenance I need.

High Points.
Groundskeepers.

Sorry, what was the question?
Sophie. Jenna. Boarding school. MAGICAL BOARDING SCHOOL FOR DELINQUENT PARANORMALS. Ghosts. Flirt
Wendy Darling
Fun! This book really grew on me. It took several tries to get past the first couple of chapters, but once Sophie finally gets settled in at Hex Hall things start moving along. The witchy battles are pretty cool, there's good build-up of the mystique behind the school and behind Sophie's past and powers, and the author does a nice job with creating a variety of different characters with distinctive voices. I especially liked BFF Jenna and the super cute and witty Archer, and Sophie herself turns ...more
Aj the Ravenous Reader
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Aj the Ravenous Reader by: Burn

As to date, this has been one of the most enjoyable fantasy books I’ve read that deals with otherworldly creatures like witches, vampires, faes, werewolves, shape-shifters and demons (collectively called as Prodigium) through the author’s creative effort of putting them all together in one monster high called Hecate Hall or simply Hex Hall.

It’s a fast, fun read told by Sophie, a supposedly powerful witch who at 16 barely knows anything about her real powers. Thus, she gets enrolled at Hex Hall
Emily May
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr, 2011, young-adult

I was so pleasantly surprised by this book, almost as surprised as I am by the fact that I actually decided to read it. I'd all but given up on young adult novels that feature any of the following: vampires, werewolves, witches, shifters, fairies, angels, demons... you get the idea. Young adult fantasy and urban fantasy seems to have been constantly churning out more of the same, but Hex Hall really ticked all the right boxes for me.

Granted, a boarding school for witches and whatnot isn't exactl
MischaS_
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's been years since I read Hex Hall for the first time and for some reason I got a strong feeling that I need to re-read this one. After six years.

So, here I'm and this time in English.

The main character is 16 which is a little younger than books I usually read right now. But honestly? I did not care at all! Sophie is so damn hilarious. I love that girl! (view spoiler)

I thankfully did not remember much about the bo
Natalie Monroe
"Archer is smart and funny in addition to being hot. Elodie [his girlfriend] is stupid and dull."

The second, the second, I read that line, I logged into Goodreads to check which year it was published.

2010. Also known as YA's embarrassing puberty years. I tend to stay away from books published during that time since they're filled with unhealthy romantic relationships and girl-on-girl hate. YA now is like college you, all grown-up and cringing at the occasional photo of your tween self that po
chucklesthescot
Alexandra Bracken
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
HEX HALL is an insanely fun, hilarious, and HOT book! I can't even tell you how many times I laughed out loud (or had to put the book down because I was laughing so hard)! Sophie Mercer is now officially one of my favorite heroines and I just might be a little bit in love with Archer Cross, too. :) I can't say enough wonderful things about this book, only that you need to pick it up ASAP when it debuts next March. I'm only sad that I have to wait so long to read the next book in the series!!
Daiane
Apr 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Actual Rating: 3.5 stars

It took me a while to start reading this book. My last Rachel Hawkins one didn't attracted me that much and It's not an original plot. A young witch who screw up and let humans see her magic. Firstly, how can she be that dumb to show her magic to others like nothing? Who she doesn't even know that well and is like "let me be your fairy godmother. Ops, sorry..."

Then she is sentenced to a magical boarding school for delinquent supernatural beings...

And there she makes frien
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
This book was pretty good. There was action, suspense, and some romance. The main character was witty and any reader would be able to relate to them since she had boy, friend, family and identity problems. This book occasionally reminded me of Harry Potter because of some of the teachers being both harsh and grandmotherly at times. Rachel Hawkins also captured the rea high school life and drama in this with their own version of Prom, cliques, relationships, and talking about teachers behind thei ...more
Hilly
Aug 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: low-fantasy

Super duper cute!
I loved this simple book so much because it's funny and has magic with a cool magic school setting which I enjoyed a lot!
Sophie is one of the most funny characters I read about. I mean, only Gwendolyn from Rubinrot is funnier than her.
I loved a lot Archer Cross and (view spoiler) I can't wait for it!

I will not have a crush on Archer Cross, I will not have a crush o
Mel
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am possibly one of the only people who hasn't read Rebel Belle so I didn't know how amazing Rachel Hawkins was at writing! There is nothing extremely spectacular about her writing there aren't really intricate profound quotes and there aren't any special qualities that set her apart like poetry prose or anything of the sort, but all of that is why her writing is so great. She took a very plain storyline, something done before, and made it incredibly unique and beautiful because it was so real. ...more
Lucy
My main impression from the book is that it's meant for the very bottom of the age spectrum it's being marketed for. I'd say 10-14 years old because the writing is extremely simplistic. Of course, there's a lot of dead teenagers flying around so it's a weird mix of older, more mature themes and fairly immature writing. The world building is so-so. There wasn't a lot of depth here despite being charming in a general kind of way. Female Harry Potter, Sophie Mercer is not, but still fanatic Potter ...more
Sophia.
Harry Potter :
Magic Castle. Forbidden forest. Courses to learn spells. Werewolves. Very powerful headmaster. Special relationship between headmaster and one student. Said student appears to be the Chosen One. Humble, but still very gifted.

Anna and the French Kiss :
Boarding school. Girl doesn't want to be here. On her first day, meets lesbian roommate and hottest boy in school. Then meets Queen Bee and is bullied.
Doesn't talk to Dad but likes Mom okay. Earns detention, and ends up with hottest
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

My apologies in advance for what you are about to read. When I find my feelings about a book I’m reading are on the “meh” side, I tend to lose focus easily. I space out and take a lot of reading breaks. Sometimes the result of those distractions is a complete crap gif-filled mess instead of a review.

Sophie was just trying to cast a love spell that would make the quarterback ditch his cheer captain date and take the most unpopular girl
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
I would like to thank Ate AJ and Ate Rachel for recommending this book to me. (Click their names to read their reviews) This paranormal fantasy novel is fun, quick and entertaining to read. I've listened to the audio book and is narrated by Cris Dukehart (she's really good by the way).

When a spell gone bad, a young witch Sophie Mercer was sent to Hecate Hall (Hex Hall) as a punishment of exposing herself to humans. Students consists of young Prodigium or supernatural creatures like vampires, w
Emma
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, witches, magic, fae, ya
Ok. It’s time I admitted to myself that I have a penchant for fantasy set in a school setting. I’m too old for this to be the case but unfortunately my heart and mind don’t care! My first outing with this author and she definitely has similarities to Maureen Johnson books, which I also love. So in this world we have prodigious who are witches, fae, vampires, ruled by a council. Also demons. There’s a love interest and bullying and a feisty funny heroine. Very enjoyable read.
Anna M.
Jul 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Very cute book, I enjoyed it!
oliviasbooks
Meh-meh. I really think that a bEarding-school story would have been far more orginal than this "followed-all-baking-instructions-for-paranomal-young-adult" boarding-school girly-girl, let's-kiss-the-presumably-hot-and-bad-but-taken warlock, "three-mean-girls-shall-you-be" witchy-washy is.

Please pat me on my back! Finishing this with only skipping half a page now and then took almost all my witch-power for today.
Elena Salvatore
"BAD DOG!"
(What? It's iconic...)

This was one of the first books that I added to my TBR pile, right after taking recommendations from Booktube and I was really excited to start reading it (even tho I had postpone for years.... \_(ツ)_/ ).
It isn't really what I had expect but that doesn't mean that I enjoyed it any less, just that the hype for this book was too high.

When I finally got a chance to pick it up, it took me only a few hours to finish the entire book in one sitting.
It is really fast pac
Ariel
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
THIS BOOK WAS SO MUCH FUN!

The characters were all awesome, the setting was great, and the plot was exciting!

I really enjoyed the main character, she was witty and snarky.

VIDEO REVIEW UP SOON :)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**3.5 stars**

When my husband asked me what I was reading today, I summed this book up to him as, "Harry Potter chick lit". I meant that as a complement. "Hex Hall" is a really adorable and spunky YA paranormal read. It is what Mythos Academy tried to be before it fell miserably short. I was shocked at how much fun I had reading this book.

The most successful parts of this story were the characters and the witty dialogue. Sophie was an awesome MC. She was funny (I surprised myself by laughing out
Elena
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
So freaking cute and hilarious!
Rachel Hawkins is a queen, when it comes to these terms! I've read Rebel Belle this year, fell in love and now it is one of my absolute favourites of this year. So, normally I had to read something else by this amazing author. Since I was 15 I was eyeing this book but unfortunately never picked it up. I'm so dumb.
I loved Hex Hall!
Our main protagonist is funny as hell. I just adored her wit and her sassiness!

I can't wait to continue with this series, especially aft
Abbi Glines
I love a book that can make me laugh. Although I am not feeling the Team Archer vibe after this book I will say that as far as romance this series has potential. The characters are all entertaining and keep you guessing. Best "witch" book I've read in awhile.
prag ♻
GUESS WHO'S IN THE MOOD FOR REREADING OLD YA FANTASY BOOKS \_(ツ)_/

Someone stop me I have an exam tomorrow.
Penny
Actual Rating: 1.5 stars

Unoriginal
I have already read this story a thousand times over.
Zoë
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Going into this book, I had no idea what to expect, so I was pleasantly surprised! It was quite entertaining with many twists and turns so it only took me a few hours to read. I will definitely be picking up the next book at a later time!
Colleen Houck
May 29, 2011 added it
Shelves: witches
I think my favorite part of this book was the conjuring of fancy gowns for the Halloween ball. I'm a big fan of Project Runway and its fun to imagine creating your dress using magic. I'm getting started on Demonglass right away and I'm looking forward to reading more about what happens with these characters. Did not expect the turn of events towards the end of the book. I love surprises!
Maggie
The first time I read this book I gave it 4 stars, but this time around I liked the story but not as much, so I will give it 3 stars.
It was enjoyable but I didn't love it. I don't think I will read the other two books.

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Taken at Dusk (Shadow Falls, #3)
  • The Ghost and the Goth (The Ghost and the Goth, #1)
  • Always a Witch (Witch, #2)
  • Paranormalcy (Paranormalcy, #1)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)
  • Firespell (Dark Elite, #1)
  • Foretold (The Demon Trappers, #4)
  • Out for Blood (Drake Chronicles, #3)
  • Fated (Fated, #1)
  • Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4)
  • Personal Demons (Personal Demons, #1)
  • Hourglass (Hourglass, #1)
  • Shadow Hills (Shadow Hills, #1)
  • Deception (Haunting Emma, #1)
  • Blood Magic (The Blood Journals, #1)
  • Stork (Stork, #1)

Hex Hall (3 books)
  • Demonglass (Hex Hall, #2)
  • Spell Bound (Hex Hall, #3)
“Good luck explaining to God that you used to spank one of his heavenly beings."
Mom gave a startled laugh. "Sophie!"
"What? You did. I hope you like hot weather, Mom, that's all I'm saying.”
787 likes
“I heard the man and woman cry a warning as I frantically racked my brain for some sort of throat-repairing spell, which I was clearly about to need. Of course the only words that I actually managed to yell at the werewolf as he ran at me were, 'BAD DOG!'

Then, out of the corner of my eye, I caught a flash of blue light on my left. Suddenly, the werewolf seemed to smack into an invisible wall just inches in front of me....

"You know," someone said off to my left, "I usually find a blocking spell to be a lot more effective than yelling 'Bad dog,' but maybe that's just me.”
728 likes