Start by marking “A Reason for Living” as Want to Read:
A Reason for Living

A Reason for Living

It is the mid-1960s in Kingston, Jamaica, and the country is steeped in social, political, and economic inequities. Howard Baxter, the heir to a real estate empire, has no interest in seeking or managing wealth. Painting and deflowering Jamaican maidens are his passions. As he combs the streets looking for greater meaning in his pathetic life, it soon becomes apparent that ...more
Published October 8th 2019 by Urlink Print & Media, LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Reason for Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Reason for Living

Start your review of A Reason for Living
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
What I Loved:
I really enjoyed the location for A Reason for Living. Set in Kingston, Jamaica in the 1960s, there were Civil Rights movements happening, and I really liked reading a story that was surrounded by this time in history. It was a new subject for me, and I appreciated learning about the events of the time and how people reacted to them.

How I Felt:
The characters in this story focus on Howard, Bernaldo, and Robin. I really felt that the main character was Howard, and the other two men to
Lindsay
A Reason for Living is an okay book to me. I like the history of Jamaica part of this book. Though the other part was not my kind of thing. The writing in this book was done well. Though It seems the plot was about really one person though it says, three men. A reason for Living seems only like it is centered on one man named Howard. Though it shows this in three parts rather than three books.

If the author is trying to show it through three different views of people then I may get it a bit more.
Carla
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a powerful story told during an important time of change. The story circles around three men: Howard, Bernaldo and Robin but I feel that Howard takes the centre stage and he is the central piece that the story hinges on. It is his actions that bring about change and connect all of our minor characters together.

This novel exposes the difficult side of life in Jamaica in this time period. I think when we view this beautiful country, we don’t stop and understand enough the struggles of thei
Angela Thompson
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Reason for Living Shines Light on a Place and Time That I Had Never Seen. The author immediately transported me into a time and place that was unfamiliar--and honestly--dark and dismal. It took some time to become familiar enough with the setting and the historical context of this novel to fall into sync with the author's writing style, the storyline, and his characters. Once I came to terms with the struggles and political oppression facing the country--the motives and actions of his charact ...more
Natalie Yates
Jan 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Love and sensuality surfaces on practically every page of the novel, the author’s keen attention to detail create a lot of erotic scenes. Along with the steamy scenes, the story is anything but a romance novel, as the location of the story being set in is a country full of oppressed people under a corrupt government.
Bruno Carlson
Jan 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
After reading the book I can't help but feel entertained as the story combines the dark nature of corruption in a small country along with scenes of carnal desires, personally, the violence, and foul language being spoken by its characters helps in creating realistic emotions amongst one another, making this novel in more in tune with reality. ...more
Eva Glass
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The ensemble of lives in the story interweaves in a lively social and political world which is found in various areas of the society and diverse facets of life. Robin, Bernaldo, Maria, and Christine, every character within the novel has a purpose in the grand scheme of things. The author truly made a gritty yet entertaining novel.
Ross Cook
Jan 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The past accounts of Jamaican island countries are anything but that of a happy story. The author was very descriptive when he wanted to illustrate the events of the Jamaican Civil Rights Movement. The novel is filled with describing the atrocities and violence being experienced by the people of Jamaica, and how a revolution was started with just a handful of supporters.
Lucille Reese
Jan 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A perfect combination of historical accuracy and an outstanding romantic drama storyline creates a stunning but Dark Setting, in a few ways the narrative can seem bleak and dark, but the degree of details and the authenticity that is imposed on each page makes me want to keep reading, no matter how dark the story gets.
Norah Larsen
Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This novel does well to highlight the struggles of the everyday people of the country of Jamaica back in the 1960`s it shows that teh corruption within the government leads its people to suffer. Throughout the book the author shares his knowledge of the conflict and he does so without sugarcoating any of the atrocities that happened. ...more
Samantha Brennan
Dec 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
The story in the novel can get hot and steamy as when the characters are portrayed to be in an erotic scene the author makes it that we can envision the scene unfolding before our very eyes, this is also true when the author describes the dark natures of the corrupt government of Jamaica.
Jessica
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fighter, lust and freedom

This book is a slow read for me. It takes me awhile to finished reading the book but I did enjoy the story. I liked the setting. Jamaica would be in my bucket list. I hope that I can cross it out one day.

The story is indeed for matured audience. There are scenes that are too hard to read. Abused is around during Civil War and I do not understand why these women are in for it. There are reasons to survive in that illicit situations.

Fighter never stops to fight to achieved
Aurora
Mar 04, 2020
Stacy
marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2020

• Above the Star (The 8th Island Trilogy #1)
  • Folly at the Fair (An Annie Oakley Mystery, #3)
  • The Takeaway Men
  • The Frights of Fiji (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #1)
  • A Curse of Mayhem (Alyssa McCarthy's Magical Missions, #2)
  • One Boy's War
  • The Nightjar's Promise (The F.I.G. Mysteries #4)
  • In the Nick of Time
  • Between These Walls
  • Animals at the Office
  • The Goose on the Roof
  • A Goddess Among Men
  • a delicate dance of souls
  • Act of Murder (Doc Brady #1)
  • The Book of Lost Friends