Start by marking “Made Possible” as Want to Read:
Made Possible

Made Possible

Success is a crucial part of being human. But what if society thought success and aspiration didn't apply to you?

A human rights campaigner. A critically acclaimed actor. A civil rights activist. A singer-songwriter. A Paralympian and elite swimmer. A fine artist. An award-winning filmmaker and drag artist. An elected UK mayor.

These professionals have achieved astounding an
Published May 28th 2020 by Unbound

To ask other readers questions about Made Possible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made Possible

Start your review of Made Possible
Rubina Naqvi
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
MADE POSSIBLE is a great effort by Saba Salman to bring in the forefront inspirational stories about the achievements of persons with learning disabilities. The various success stories narrated in the book invoke feelings of empathy and compassion for the achievements of these special persons. They bring so much into the lives of those whom they touch and deserve inclusion into society. The book truly promotes the core value of “focusing on the abilities, not the disabilities” of these wonderful ...more
Rob Gould
This a heartwarming book by inspirational individuals who happen to have a learning disability.

Made Possible is an important milestone because the voices of people with learning disabilities are so rarely heard. When learning disability is discussed in the media it its usually in negative terms and never involves those with learning disabilities themselves. Now we hear from some of them about how they feel society perceives them and how they have dealt with the prejudices of others.

I'd recommend
Sze Hunter
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Made Possible is a heartwarming and inspirational read highlighting the journeys of a diverse range of 8 people with learning disabilities. Other books have often focused on successes of physically disabled people overcoming adversity, which is great, but it is also important and wonderful to hear of journeys from people with learning disabilities.

It is really inspiring how these individuals overcame very different challenges, we can ALL learn from them. Whilst I am not deemed as learning disabl
Pamela Helen Burton
As someone who works with people who require additional support I read this book with what I thought were open eyes. I am ashamed to say that I was naïve to think that as a population we were acceptable of people with disabilities when truly were are not....

What I was reading made me , so very angry and upset I wanted to stand shoulder to shoulder with that the essay writers and scream at those who were abusing them, neglecting them, being negative and tell them that they are wrong to write off
Faizan Shoaib
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A highly thought proving, interesting and often heart breaking read. Stories straight from the mouths and hearts of people with learning disabilities which show their own intelligence and emotionally alert takes on their own lives, and that they are far from being “retard(s)”, as Father Shaun’s own father called him many years ago. These often successful leaders in their own field, are pitied and overlooked often by society when they are so alert and aware of their surroundings. So very capable ...more
Hayley Goleniowska
Never has a book been more relevant in today's uncertain times. #MadePossible not only challenges our perceptions of learning disability and what it means to be valued and viewed as 'a success' in our society, it also taps into the very essence of what it means to be human.
Inspired to collect these stories by her sister Raana, Saba has produced a ground-breaking book that I am proud to have been able to support.
Made Possible is a vital addition to my book shelf.
Helen Ainsworth
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a thoroughly engaging and enjoyable book. Full of fun and wisdom. I found I was challenged in ways I wasn’t expecting and I have learned so much more than I anticipated. Thank you Saba Salman for introducing us to these great people. And to each of them my thanks too for patiently making us more aware of what the world looks like from their perspective.
Shanti Edwards
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Made Possible is a thoughtful and enlightening read for our times. Saba, together with the other contributors, recount personal stories to illustrate how with appropriate support, help and understanding from family and friends, those with learning disabilities can realise their hidden potential.
Victoria Donlevy
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a truly original and inspiring book that everyone should read. And which everyone will enjoy reading. It’s entertaining while informative, funny while shocking, relatable while revolutionary, upbeat while challenging.
It is a real pleasure getting to know – from the inside and with their own voices – so many truly diverse, colourful, brave, funny and talented individuals who are making so many important – and often overlooked - contributions to our society in fields ranging from art to sp
Richard Propes
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Edited by social affairs journalist Saba Salman, "Made Possible" is the latest release to come from the groundbreaking U.K. crowdfunding publisher Unbound.

The book features eight stories, testimonies really, of individuals living life with learning disabilities while having extraordinary success. It's worth noting that this U.K.-based title defines learning disability somewhat more differently than how it's defined in the U.S. as within this book learning disability includes such diagnoses as D
Simon Jarrett
Saba Salman’s excellent anthology is a genuinely uplifting, challenging and ground-breaking work. We live in a society in which people with learning disabilities are often written off, from a very early age, as people who cannot achieve and who cannot even cope with the sort of ordinary lives most of us live. This book smashes that myth. A beautifully balanced collection of stories from high-achieving people with learning disabilities, ranging from professional singers and actors to film makers ...more
Roger Fielding
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have my copy and it’s a testimony to those society sees as ‘different’. In reality we are all ‘different’. Neurodiversity is on the frontiers of inclusion. And who can say what ‘success’ should be? We are all trying our best ‘between cradle and grave’ to make the most of our lives... and this book introduces us to those who are ‘learning-disabled’ and shows us just what they can achieve. It’s important on a number of levels... How do we value life? How do we include everyone ‘in’? What really ...more
Karen Murray
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant book and one that everyone should read. Each chapter focuses on the life of a person with a learning disability who has achieved success, be it politics, music, arts, film or drama and is written from their perspective so really tells it like it was. This makes it a more interesting read as you really feel like you are sitting next to them listening to their life experiences. I do know a lot of people whose lives are shared here but others I have only heard of via social medi ...more
James Cook
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Made Possible – an anthology of personal success stories written by people with learning disabilities – is, by turns, inspirational, educational and moving. Each individual account challenges society’s preconceptions and prejudices about learning disability with wry humour and charm. These are human stories, and it’s often the everyday achievements and small victories that resonate the most. Made Possible is a vital addition to the literature of awareness and acceptance of people with learning d ...more
Dan
Nov 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book. It’s wonderful to hear what can be achieved by people when given the opportunities to succeed. The stories are well written and you get a true understanding of the barriers that people with learning disabilities have to overcome in order to live the lives they want.
As a social worker it’s really made me reflect on how as a profession we need to bring down the barriers for the people we work with.
This is a must read for anyone working with people who have learning disa
Eppie Dawson
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Words cannot describe how much this book means. It has injected hope into our lives, just like that! Thanks you to Saba Salman and the rest of the brilliant essay writers who have poured energy into this book to promote the professionalism that the learning disabled community have given and will continue to give with the opportunity. EVERYONE can learn something from this book and it's about time we all did. Thank you!
Justin Rehal
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book. I'm so thankful that this has given me a unique opportunity to see the world through the eyes of people I never would have otherwise. It's not often that a book has changed the way I see the world in such a profound way. By giving a voice to people so often marginalised in society it forced me to think about my own life, actions and preconceptions. Can't recommend highly enough.
Andy Clarke
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in one day. It’s inspiring to see the difference that having the right support systems can make. I’m now going to share it with my parents and families at the disability charity I work with. It’s a great call to action, moving, humorous and so important to read the voices of disabled people in books! It’s really made me want to use my skills to push for a better system. Such a good introduction to people who haven’t had experience of learning disabilities as well.
S K
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We chose this book for our non-fiction book club. The insights it provided sparked rich discussion for a group who mostly have limited experience in the area of learning disability. Saba Salman does a brilliant job of facilitating some inspirational people to tell us their stories, in an accessible and enjoyable way.
Andrew Miller
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
More books like this are needed! It was refreshing to read a book which highlights and celebrates the achievements of cognitively challenged people. The authors of each chapter provide positive role models for all of us(disabled and non-disabled).
Ruth
May 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The lived experience of people with a learning disability- as described in Saba’s wonderfully edited book Made Possible - is diverse, with challenges but also success and fulfilment. An important read to challenge stereotypes about what it means to live with a disability but not defined by it.
Becky
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing

An inspiring and uplifting read. The individual stories all highlight the importance of understanding, support and perseverance. A must read for all, to gain a better understanding of the prejudices and challenges faced by these amazing people.
Maya Gould

• Love's Executioner and Other Tales of Psychotherapy
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold: Tales from the Café
  • 26a
  • Silver Surfer, Vol. 3: Last Days
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Blood That Stains Your Hands (DS Thomas Hutton Book 3)
  • October, October
  • Doctored Evidence (Commissario Brunetti, #13)
  • The Janus Stone (Ruth Galloway, #2)
  • Grown Ups
  • Wall of Silence
  • Through a Glass, Darkly (Commissario Brunetti, #15)
  • The Tango Effect: Parkinson's and the healing power of dance
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Bone Jar (Detective Lew Kirby, #1)
  • The Red Pony
  • Ghosts
  • The Phantom Tollbooth
UK-based author, journalist and editor, full bio at http://sabasalman.com/ and Guardian journalism at https://www.theguardian.com/profile/s... ...more

News & Interviews