Start by marking “The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones” as Want to Read:
The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones

The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones

It’s the summer of 1955. For Ethan Harper, a biracial kid raised mostly by his white father, race has always been a distant conversation. When he’s sent to spend the summer with his aunt and uncle in small-town Alabama, his Blackness is suddenly front and center, and no one is shy about making it known he’s not welcome there. Except for Juniper Jones. The town’s resident o ...more
Published June 16th 2020 by Wattpad Books (first published May 5th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones, please sign up.
Vivi There are uses of the n-word. That's the only language used if I remember correctly. No explicit scenes. There is some violence, but other than that, …moreThere are uses of the n-word. That's the only language used if I remember correctly. No explicit scenes. There is some violence, but other than that, the book is pretty clean.(less)
Vivi
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
I AM SOBBING. this has to be one of the most beautiful books i've ever read. unforgettable and absolutely invincible, cannot recommend this enough. a story of friendship, race, history, and one summer that changes so many lives. ...more
Mary ツ⋆
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs, read-2020
WOW. I HAVE NO WORDS.

This is presumably one of the most spectacular books of today as not only is it beautifully written by the author, but it is also prevalent in today’s current events. This undoubtedly opened my eyes even wider to something that has been happening up to this day. Racism and discrimination have been a crucial issue happening not just in America, but around the world for the longest time. Although we could say it is becoming better throughout the years, however, it is 2020 an
MissBecka Gee
Well, my face is splotchy and my husband just asked "what happened? Are you okay?"
So yeah, you could say I felt this book.
It's bananas the torrent of emotions this book put me through...
Excitement, fear, whimsical giggles, anger, and some ugly cries.
I loved every second of it!!!
Do yourself a favour and read this book.
Much love to NetGalley and Smith Publicity for my DRC.
Daven McQueen
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I wrote this and I think it’s nice. Good job to me 😌
Bookadmirer
May 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: free-arc
This is such a beautiful story. The plot revolves around Ethan and Juniper and their unforgettable summer in 1955.

Although I loved the book, I have a few issues. The writing of this author isn't very mature. I heard it's a Wattpad story. I think the author should have polished the book a little bit more before publishing. The sentence structure was poor and the word choice wasn't rich either. Also, Juniper's family issue wasn't focused much. It was mostly focused on Ethan and his struggle. I wo
BookNightOwl
Thank you Netgalley and Wattpad for an Arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Summer of 1955 and Ethan Harper is dropped of at his Aunt and Uncle's home. A small town in Alabama Ethan faces a lot of racial situations because he is biracial. Then he meets Juniper Jones and it turns out to be a summer he will never forget.

I LOVED this book. It had everything I love reading about in a book. The characters where so fun. I loved the history part of it. It brought all kinds of emotions ou
Rayne ♥
The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones is a YA novel set in a historical background that explores the deeply seated roots of racism in American society. It follows the male protagonist, Ethan Harper, as he spends an invincible summer alongside Juniper Jones in Alabama. It is a brave, harrowing story that will bring tears to your eyes through its wonderful prose and important themes.

I loved this novel, from Ethan Harper to Juniper Jones, I felt their friendship was so beautiful and I enjoyed read
Sharon Metcalf
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, owned, netgalley
Wow!!! The Invinsible Summer of Juniper Jones   was an unexpectedly great read.  In her debut novel Daven McQueen  hit the ball out of the park and I can't congratulate her enough.   This was YA Historical fiction done exceptionally well.      Granted I enjoy YAF and Historical fiction separately so it's probably not all that surprising I loved it but I can see it having wide appeal.    McQueens characters were well developed and  delightful.   Her story built gradually and came to a conclusion ...more
Jypsy
Jun 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you FFBC for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

The Invincible Summer Of Juniper Jones
By: Daven McQueen

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆
The Invincible Summer Of Juniper Jones is sad, y'all. I ain't gonna lie because it just is. This book has coincidentally published at a time when its content and current events parallel in some ways. The issue is racism, and the story is about 1950's Alabama, a red headed girl and a boy of mixed race through one summer.
Fieke
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
( I did receive an Advanced Reader Copy of this book from NetGally, but these opinions and feelings are entirely my own and in no way influenced by the way I got the material. )

The invincible summer of Juniper Jones tells the story if Ethan Harper. In the summer of 1955 Ethan has to live with his aunt and uncle. There he meets Juniper Jones, a very excited kind girl who has made it her goal to have the best summer ever.

When I started reading this story it immediately grabbed my attention and di
Bri (booksnparchment)
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

“The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones,” tells the story of Ethan Harper. He is a mixed-race boy who is sent to live with this aunt and uncle for the summer in Alabama, 1955. While working at his uncle’s malt shop, he meets Juniper Jones, a girl who is a free spirit. Juniper plans to have the best summer and ropes, Ethan, into helping her.

In this small town, Ethan starts to realize the racial tensions an
Krista
Rating: 5 shining debut stars

This is a fantastic debut book by Daven McQueen. It is s a gripping YA historical fiction tale. It is set in Alabama circa 1955. It would be great to read this any time, but with the current events in the US that have provided a wider awakening to Black history and racism in America it is now an especially timely read. The book is a quick read and it packs an emotion punch. Everyone from Junior High aged kids on up should read this exceptional book.

We meet Ethan Harp
birdie
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
My complete review will follow on my blog 9 June, so definitely watch out for that! But I do want to say a few things already:

- I finished this in one sitting and it’s been so long since I’ve flown through a book like that.
- this story is so empowering and the perfect mix of heartbreaking and beautiful. Powerful message for sure!
- I got John Green vibes from this book which is literally the biggest compliment I’m ever going to give a book.
- I cried. A few times. Yes.

So I will say I would recomme
Natalie Walton
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020, ya, pre-teen-fiction
Required reading.
Inkslinger
The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones by Daven McQueen

ARC provided by Wattpad Books and Daven McQueen via NetGalley. All opinions are mine and freely given.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | BookBub

"She hit him in the best way, like a rainstorm after five years of drought, healing the parched earth with a gentle touch; and in the worst way, like an unexpected earthquake, leaving dust and debris in her wake. She was, in equal parts, a gift and a natural disaster."

06-16: I suppose there's some irony in the fact that as I worked to ca
Dini - dinipandareads
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the e-ARC in exchange for an honest review. Thanks also to the FFBC for including me on the blog tour for this book! 4.5 stars rounded up.

The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones… What do I even say? This is not an easy book to swallow or digest! I’m not going to lie, I read the majority of this book with one of those ‘movie intro’ voice overs (along the lines of Morgan Freeman’s soothing voice) narrating in my head because from the word go this book liter
Stephanie
Feb 09, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021-reads, ya
“ Ethan remembered what his mother said, about how black kids were never allowed to be innocent. And yet he had been, for a time. Aunt Cara said she wished her brother had never sent him to Ellison – and he knew that things would’ve been much easier if that had been the case. But now, at least,he could see the world for what it was. He could see himself for who he was. And maybe, in time, he’d learn to look in the mirror and see his blackness as a precious gift.”

This book broke my heart into a m
Jun 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gosh, this book made me angry! Especially as I read it during the height of the "black lives matter" protests following upon the police murder of George Floyd. As with many classic novels exploring the experience of prejudice, The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones is told from the perspective of a relative innocent - 16-year-old Ethan Harper from Arcadia, Washington, whose father is European-American and whose mostly-absent mother is African-American. As a woman of mixed Scottish, English and n ...more
i.
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful book! Memorable, heart-breaking and enlightening. I think it's one of the best books I have ever read. A novel that should be mandatory in every school all over the world because racism, unfortunately, is universal. Although it is set almost seventy years ago, some of the situations depicted in the book are still common in many places and the way some people think hasn't changed much.
This is a story about friendship, love, hate and what it means to have a different skin colour i
fanna
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020-releases
July 3, 2020:

The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones is a bittersweet summer tale that perfectly travels through a newfound friendship and brings happiness under the sun while painting an atmosphere of anxiety and fear in response to narrow-minded racists in a small town—an obvious backdrop for the historical fiction that this book is but also a relevant theme in today's society.

This read can be emotionally drenching because the good and the bad, both demands a lot and the readers shouldn't be s
Courtney
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was beautifully constructed it was incredible from beginning to end. Juniper was such an endearing character, and her positivity was magnetic throughout the story.

This book is full of powerful messages about race and how we see the world. Definitely a tear jerker, but well worth the water works. Highly, recommend!

Thank you to Netgalley and Wattpad Books for the opportunity to review this arc in exchange of an honest review.
Leslie - Shobizreads
This book is incredible! It’s an intense, coming of age story set in rural Alabama in 1955.

Ethan, a biracial teen, is sent to live with his paternal aunt and uncle after getting in a fight at school after being the target of racism. Ethan’s dad, who is white, thinks a summer I’m his hometown is just what Ethan needs to set him straight.

The adjustment of life in Acadia, Washington to the Ellison, Alabama where laws to keep whites and Blacks separate were the norm and the KKK ruled through force a
Lydia Hephzibah
Jul 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rarely cry at books. I can think of less than a handful that have provoked tears but this one had me snivelling. I didn't predict the ending (which was so refreshing, as someone who always seems to figure out which way a story is going) and it punched me in the gut. This is a tight, powerful, lyrical book that had me clenching my fists in anger and crying with devastation, amidst getting totally lost in the richly imagined setting. Some books are just words on a page, but some books take you r ...more
Jocelyn
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, arc-s
~4.5~ Full review to come soon.

MY HEART. Oh, my poor heart. This was such a beautiful story, but I've been weeping for a solid 45 minutes now so I think I need to step away from this book for a few days so I can come back and coherently explain how much I loved it.

Let's just say I'm so glad I planted sunflowers this year.
Nicole
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, own-read
One thing I love about Instagram is getting book recommendations for books that I probably wouldn’t have found on my own. I found The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones by Daven McQueen through @mommaleighellensbooknook If you aren’t following her already, I highly recommend you do.⁣

The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones is a young adult historical fiction set in 1955. Ethan is biracial and lives with his white father. Due to an altercation he is sent to live with his aunt and uncle in a small
Christy
May 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Exceptional. In this current time where many are struggling to talk to their children about race, this book will be a wonderful tool for parents and teachers to do just that.

Ethan Harper is half-Black teenager living in Washington state with his father. After getting into a fight at school and sent to live with his white relatives in rural Alabama at the height of segregation laws, he's in for a hard summer until Juniper Jones walks into his life and promises him an invincible summer. The two b
Christine
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
I actually really did enjoy this story. I felt like the characters were endearing and even though the story takes place in the past–they were very relatable.

My issue is that the writing was a little off for me. I felt like this was more middle-grade and the writing reflected that.

But, I was able to finish the story because of the characters. They were charming and I had to stay with them to the end.

This story could be a bit frustrating at times because of the adversity presented. It is honestly
linda hole
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so painful and raw, But at the same time it was beaitiful and stunning. It held my attention through the whole book. This book is one of those books that is hard to explain.. trust me you just have to read the book and experience the book yourself. Thank you to netgalley for letting me read this e arc in exchange for an honest opinion
Devon
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
”It’s important for us to know where we come from and what’s been done to us, otherwise, how’re we supposed to fight what’s happening to us now? It’s all connected.”

Reading The Invincible Summer Of Juniper Jones a book that primarily takes place in Ellison, Alabama during the summer of 1955, in June of 2020 it’s very hard to feel like a whole lot has changed since then. Now if I’d read this book two months ago my views may have been slightly different, but today the realization of just how far w
Liz Hein
Feb 01, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Invincible Summer of Juniper Jones is the story of one unforgettable summer between a Bi-racial teen boy and a white teen girl when the boy’s white father sends him to 1950s Alabama for a lesson. This story vacillated between one of the most happy and charming things I’ve read and one of the most heartbreaking. Above all else, it was an important lesson on nostalgia.

Looking back at various parts of history can leave us longing for different times, but who are we thinking about? Yes, we read
Goodreads Librari...: updated book description: 9781989365168 2 32 Jun 03, 2020 12:33PM
Goodreads Librari...: updated book cover: 9781989365168 4 43 Jun 03, 2020 12:27PM

• An Anonymous Girl
  • Regretting You
  • The Chain
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Girl He Used to Know
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children #1)
  • Two Can Keep a Secret
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Heartstopper: Volume Two (Heartstopper, #2)
  • What If It's Us (What If It's Us, #1)
  • Heartstopper: Volume One (Heartstopper, #1)
  • The Nearest Faraway Place
  • Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World
  • Dreaming of Light
  • This Lie Will Kill You
  • Passenger (Passenger, #1)
Daven McQueen grew up outside of Los Angeles, California. She graduated from Brown University, where she earned a B.A. in literary arts and economics. When she’s not writing, Daven can be found tap dancing, embroidering, cooking, and eating dessert. She lives in Boston, Massachusetts and works in education.

Articles featuring this book

Kids these days! Protesting injustice, sassing their elders, and sometimes saving the world. So...pretty much like kids during any other...
“She hit him in the best way, like a rainstorm after five years of drought, healing the parched earth with a gentle touch; and in the worst way,like an unexpected earthquake,leaving dust and debris in her wake. She was, in equal parts, a gift and a natural disaster. Her name was Juniper Jones.” 6 likes
“Problem is, colored kids don't get to be innocent. It's like you come out of the womb full grown, the way the world treats you.” 1 likes