Start by marking “Within These Wicked Walls” as Want to Read:
Within These Wicked Walls

Within These Wicked Walls

What the heart desires, the house destroys...

Kiersten White meets Tomi Adeyemi in this Ethiopian-inspired debut fantasy retelling of Jane Eyre.

Andromeda is a debtera—an exorcist hired to cleanse households of the Evil Eye. When a handsome young heir named Magnus Rochester reaches out to hire her, Andromeda quickly realizes this is a job like no other, with horrifying m
Expected publication: November 9th 2021 by Wednesday Books

To ask other readers questions about Within These Wicked Walls, please sign up.
Traci It's set in the desert, in Ethiopia I think. Really cool setting for the story.…moreIt's set in the desert, in Ethiopia I think. Really cool setting for the story.(less)

Start your review of Within These Wicked Walls
Lauren Blackwood
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this with my own two hands (and a keyboard).

If you love kissing, creepy stuff, and banter for days PULL UP A CHAIR YOU'RE IN THE RIGHT PLACE.
Emily Duncan
A delight!!!
Jordan Ifueko
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WITHIN THESE WICKED WALLS is an indulgently gothic fairy tale, comparable in mastery with Mexican Gothic & Jane Eyre. An intricate magic system, a grimly humorous Black heroine, AND a heart-thumping romance? This book leaves nothing wanting.
sol
Jun 11, 2020 marked it as mehhhh-maybe
ETHIOPIA
that's as close to my country (eritrea) as I'm gonna get
G I V E I T T O M E

edit: not a fan of the cover
kinda disappointed but you can't win 'em all
Laura Weymouth
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tense, eerie and romantic by turns, WITHIN THESE WICKED WALLS is more than just an homage to Jane Eyre--it's a reimagining that improves on the original in numerous places. An absolute standout read for me. ...more
fanna
Jun 04, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2021-releases
June 05, 2020: Authors says it's "an Ethiopian-inspired YA Jane Eyre retelling" and I'm ALL HERE FOR IT. ...more
Emily Thiede
I got to read an early copy of this book, and I'm so glad, because WTWW is my FAVORITE kind of book, combining magic, romance, banter, humor, and atmospheric creepiness to create a story you can't put down and characters who will stick with you! I loved it from start to finish! ...more
Anna Bright
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, ya, historical
WITHIN THESE WICKED WALLS adds a haunting new landscape and a chilling curse to Jane Eyre’s magnetic romance and searing chemistry. A Gothic retelling, and a true original.
Heba Helmy
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read an early version and already could see how easily it could fit alongside adaptations of Jane Eyre and be in conversation with Wide Sargasso Sea.
The English lit teacher in me is excited about being able to give students this option!
Celia McMahon
Apr 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
A fantasy Jane Eyre retelling? *gimme gimme gimme*
Ayana Gray
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blackgirlmagic
I got to read an early version of this beautiful book and it has everything I love and want--magic, romance, dark twists and turns, and... Black leads! Stories covering oppression and brutality are relevant and needed, but it's SO refreshing to just read a story where Black people can just have an adventure without racism being a focus point. Andromeda feels so authentic and you can't help but root for her and WTWW's dynamic casts. Just a phenomenal book--can't wait 'til it's on shelves! ...more
Lyndall Clipstone
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Within These Wicked Walls has everything I love in a story: witty banter, so much romantic chemistry, and a cursed house with an equally cursed (and also very cute) owner. I adored Andromeda's forthright voice, her stubborness, and her sense of humor. This book weaves a perfect blend of spooky atmosphere with heartfelt emotions. I can't wait for everyone to read it in Fall 2021~
☀︎El In Oz☀︎
Edit January 15: the cover is a no for me

I am dying for a cover reveal bc I have a feeling it’ll be in the same aesthetic as either A Deadly Education or Blood Like Magic.

I really need this, it sounds so dark and magical✨ plus falling in love with someone you don’t expect trope is here too so👌🏼
Amber R. Duell
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky & got to read this novel as a draft. I love everything about it!! The setting is like its own character. The MC and love interest are absolutely amazing and you need this book in your life!
Claire
Jul 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I need this book NOW
Rachel 007
Nov 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blurbed, vl-edited
Review TK. Official blurb to come as well. Thank you to Vicki Lame and Wednesday Books for letting me read this early. I LOVED it!

(Librarian hat on here)
Kaya
Jun 11, 2020 marked it as to-read
an Ethiopian inspired jane eyre retelling???

HECK YES.
Mjspice
Jan 15, 2021 marked it as to-read
EXCUSE ME @ THE COVER!!
Eva B.
Apr 12, 2021 marked it as to-read
Ethiopian Jane Eyre retelling?? comped to Kiersten White?? Say no more!
Heather Brock
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-won, arc, giveaways
Within These Wicked Walls is a fantastic tale of the supernatural and explores relationships of all manner. I am a sucker for Gothic Horror and dark fiction, so the setting here and the castle with the curse really drew me in. This an Ethiopian-inspired retelling of Jane Eyre, but I found it different enough to stand entirely on its own. I found the concept and execution of the Evil Eye and its servants particularly of interest. I appreciated the opportunity to learn a little bit about the Ethio ...more
Umairah | Sereadipity
Apr 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
An Ethiopian-inspired Jane Eyre retelling?! Yes please!
Kristen Beverly
Jan 31, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. God. This book captured my attention from the very beginning and would not let me go. Andromeda is hired by Magnus Rochester to excise the Evil Eye that has been cursed on his house. Ten others have tried before her and failed. At first Rochester seems distant and cold, but as Andromeda starts to work, they fall for one another. This book is packed with action, drama and it is so smart. I absolutely love that it got straight to the plot and then slowly revealed who Andromeda was and what ...more
megs_bookrack
ARC received!! An Ethiopian-inspired debut fantasy retelling of Jane Eyre. There's an exorcist cleansing houses from the Evil Eye.

I'm intrigued as heck!

Thank you so much, Wednesday Books. I am so excited for this!
Alyssa
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: won-giveaways
Pleasantly surprising. I love a good retelling, but "Jane Eyre but in Ethiopia and with a legitimately haunted / cursed house" sounds like a bridge too far... it isn't. I can't explain how this book works but it does and it is SO GOOD.

(Disclaimer: I received a free ARC of this book through a Goodreads Giveaway.)
Ashley Schumacher
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE Jane Eyre, so though I was already excited for a retelling, I can tell you that I was more excited the moment I finished the first chapter and realized this is a magic system I had never seen before. I’m not usually a scaredy-cat when it comes to books, but certain aspects of the plot were deliciously terrifying in the BEST way. (Come talk to me when you get to the hyena, ‘kay?)

And buckle up for a super swoony romance with a strong heroine and a Very Good boy who just wants to be Good. (W
Brinley
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect when I started it, but saying I was surprised is an understatement. This was everything I wanted and more.

Within These Wicked Walls is an Ethiopian inspired retelling of Jane Eyre. Andromeda is a debtera, tasked with creating amulets to banish Manifestations. After accepting a dangerous job in a cursed house, she is dragged into the center of a dangerous battle against evil.

I do want to start this by saying that I’ve never read
Alisha Carderella
Apr 11, 2021 rated it liked it
“What the heart desires, the house destroys...”

Andromeda is a debtera- a hired exorcist. Not being in the position to pick and choose her jobs, she ends up hired by Magnus Rochester to cleanse his castle of the Evil Eye. Andi quickly discovers she is in over head, and doesn’t possess the skill necessary for this job. She must make a tough choice- run for her life, or save her new employers.

Touted as an Ethiopian-inspired YA Jane Eyre retelling, this book had me that the word “exorcist.”

With a f
Christina
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Wow, wow, wow! I massive thank you to Wednesday Books for an early copy. I loved this fantasy retelling of Jane Eyre. Not only was there an awesome horror/fantasy twist, there was also plenty of romance (the banter! So much amazing banter!). Andromeda was both vulnerable and a fighter, staying true to herself throughout the entire book. The dialogue flowed easily, and I couldn't put the book down, desperate to know what would happen to Andromeda and Magnus (such a cinnamon roll). I can't believe ...more
Tiffany Bookwormgram
Feb 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Rating could change***

I really loved this twist on Jane Eyre (a story I personally find a bit boring?). Andi is rough around the edges, talented, and strong. She is the Black, exciting Jane Eyre we honestly deserve.

***I read the uncorrected manuscript of this, and there were some continuity errors and dialogue that I am waiting to see in an edited, finished version.
zia
Dec 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
hello... a jane eyre retelling? count me in already!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• You've Reached Sam
  • Down Comes the Night
  • The Descent of the Drowned (The Descent of the Drowned, #1)
  • My Dark Vanessa
  • Jade Fire Gold
  • Project Hail Mary
  • A Dowry of Blood
  • The Photographer
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Pride and Premeditation (Jane Austen Murder Mystery, #1)
  • The World Gives Way
  • The Black Witch (The Black Witch Chronicles, #1)
  • The Shadow Wand (The Black Witch Chronicles, #3)
  • A Dark and Hollow Star (A Dark and Hollow Star, #1)
  • Foretold (The Scryers, #1)
  • Bad Witch Burning
  • Amelia Unabridged
  • The Ones We're Meant to Find
Lauren Blackwood is a Jamaican American New Yorker living in Virginia who writes Romance-heavy Fantasy for most ages. When not writing, she's a PTA and violinist who really doesn't know how to settle on one career field. Within These Wicked Walls is her debut novel. ...more