Start by marking “Mercy (Detective Matt Deal #1)” as Want to Read:
Mercy (Detective Matt Deal #1)

Mercy

(Detective Matt Deal #1)

His daughter was taken. He’ll never get her back.

Set in the near future, Matt Deal is a British businessman married into a wealthy Florida family.

Mercy, his fifteen-year-old daughter, is the glue in his rocky marriage to Lorey. His life is changed forever after Mercy is brutally sexually assaulted on a Destin beach leaving her in a persistent vegetative state.

Trusting the
Published November 30th 2019 by Hendry Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Mercy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy

Start your review of Mercy (Detective Matt Deal #1)
Xavier Hugonet
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs
This book caught my eye as the description mentioned it would cater to Lee Child’s Jack Reacher fans (I am one), and the summary made me think of Deathwish (movies I have a soft spot for).

In a near post-Brexit future, Matt Deal is the owner of a Muay Thai boxing studio and gym. His marriage is on the rocks due to the alcoholism of his wife, and his life gets upended the day his 15 years old daughter is assaulted and raped, left comatose. Her aggressors get released on a technicality, and Deal,
Stephen Bentley
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: author-comments
Not a review. I wished to express my gratitude to all those ARC reviewers who agreed to post pre-release reviews here. Not only did many of them download my ARC but some also pre-ordered at only 0.99 cents. A double thank-you to those who did or will do.

Some of you read the earlier version of the ARC. I would point out that a couple of typos, one factual error, and an explainer regarding the DA system operating in post-Brexit Britain have all been attended to in time for release day on November
Denise Sparks
Sep 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Fast paced thriller.

I recommend this book to those who like good stories about bad people. Matt Deal becomes a policeman in the UK after his daughter is raped and left in a brain injured vegetative state. The people responsible get off Scott free which is why Matt moves to England from the US. But he gets into trouble after defending himself in a life and death struggle with a criminal. Matt sneaks back into the U.S. and vows revenge. His lady friend, Wolfie, joins him and the cat and mouse ga
The Book Gawdess
Mercy is based on the life of Matt Deal. He's stuck in a very unhappy marriage to Lorey, the daughter of a rich real estate magnate, Jack Hughes. His daughter, Mercy, is the only light in his dark life. However, one night, Mercy is brutally raped and left for dead. He is already having trouble dealing with that when he finds out the assailants may be freed because the evidence linking them to the crime has mysteriously disappeared. His father-in-law threatens to make his disappear, blaming him f ...more
Tina
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The opening scene is gruesome and very descriptive but relevant to the whole story and its character building and the very purpose of Matt Deal and his justice that he needs to serve!
Matt Deal just doesnt seem to catch a break whether it be his wife and his overbearing father in law who blames him for everything that has happened. But the truth will be revealed and Matt Deal will seek bloody revenge on all who has done himself and his daughter wrong. They say revenge is a dish best served cold.
Jacs
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Romance and Suspense

This story is about correcting an injustice. Matt and Anna are great characters in this story. The author did a great job fleshing out the suspense. I am looking forward to reading the next book.
S McK
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Revenge thriller!
Great start to a new series. I'm hoping the UK post brexit is complete fiction and not a prediction - dollars and guns, never!

Matt Deal is quite a character that has lots to deal with starting with a heinous crime against his daughter that changes his outlook on life. He zips over to his native U.K. but after a spot of bother, he secretly returns to the U.S. and faces up to the reasons he left. Will he confront the ones responsible or will it haunt him forever?
Looking forward to
Eleanor Andersen
Oct 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story, not too sure about UK in the future though, let’s hope it is just fiction 😁 I couldn’t put it down action from start to finish. Now to read Mayhem to continue The story.
Paul Swisshelm
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a way to introduce a new series of books. This graphic, but well written book is fast pace and keeps the reader wondering what will happen next to Matt and Anna. A real thrill!!
Sandy Grant
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As always Stephen Bentley takes you to the edge with a great story and lots of twists and turns.

Matt Deal, the main character is a what I would call a bad ass good guy. He and his lady, Wolfie/Anna get themselves tangled into a difficult and scary situation in order to avenge his daughter, Mercy. How they go about it will definitely leave you up late at night turning pages.

Because I know his books are absolute must reads I scanned pass the explicit sexual scenes to find out what happens. Normal
Sara Jo Montgomery
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mercy is an awesome book. Detective Matt Deal has a lot to deal with between his wife, Lorey and his daughter, Mercy. This book will have you hooked right from the start. It's set in the near future and all the things happening could be actually happening now. The lengths dads will go to for their daughter/s is infinite. Matt and his partner, Wolfie, have a great partnership, can't wait to see where their story progresses throughout the series. It is a must read for anyone who lives a good thril ...more
Caroline Walken
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-junkies
RECOMMENDED!

Hang on to your hat...this thriller is not for the faint-hearted! Matt Deal is a hard-hitting, hot-blooded detective seeking peace and justice for his daughter, Mercy. His voyage takes him into dark places but, he emerges stronger and with a new hot side-kick, Wolfie Jules! The facts of the cases that he works are stellar, his romps with the ladies made this girl blush more than once! Stephen Bentley has created a crime fighter that will remind you of vintage detective mags! Bravo!
Louise Pledge
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
2 1/2 stars, rounded up to 3, because it was, basically, an engaging action-packed story. Low rating because of the sex, graphic violence and frequent profanity. I cringed my way through it, actually. Tone it down, please, a little next time, Mr. Bentley.
Heath Henwood
Mercy
By Stephen Bentley

3 stars.

The first in a series featuring private detective Matt Deal and Wolfie Jules.

This is an easy to read style of futuristic mystery action fiction. Set across England and the USA, the story flows slowly as the characters are introduced and developed.

When Matt’s daughter is sexually assaulted and left in a coma, Matt leaves justice to the local authorities and flees to England. On his return he commences hunting down those who escaped justice with the help of his live
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
Matt Deal has experienced the worst side of life, his daughter Mercy was gangraped and left in such a bad state she will never live a normal life. The police investigation is tainted, loss of evidence meant the people were never prosecuted. In his despair he returns home to the U.K and starts a new life as a detective. When his new life turns sour and he finds himself dodging the law in thw U.K , Matt turns to his friend Wolfie, who using her special skills, arranges his return to America where ...more
Sebastian Barrow
Dec 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Cannot put this down!

Once started,you will read to the end. A brilliantly contrived story bringing two great people together. Matt has a daughter with brain damage from a gang rape. He has a lush for a wife and a very unpleasant father in law.
Matt is forced to leave the U S A and join the police force in a post Brexit Britain. Not before putting a witness, Wolfie, in charge of his gym. Not to spoil anything but the action keeps coming and 7 years later, Matt is back in America and Wolfie is by h
Sofe Gershman
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
EBook Review: MERCY by Stephen Bentley

(M) urder
(E) valuated...
(R) egarding
(C) hewed
(Y) anked

MERCY speaks of compassion, none applied to her.
Callously left to die, can't reveal who did.

One at the top, knew her quite well.
But that didn't matter, left her as is.

Lots of intimate games, crossing paths and impacting.
Being one in charge, was part of fun.

Was met with resistance, working together were many.
I'm rooting for them, hoping all works out.

Portions in here, for me gets X-rated.
Still I worked th
Tam
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book drew me in and held me delightfully-captive from beginning to end. The plot keeps you guessing, the characters are realistic, likable and identifiable and the scenery is described in such a way as to make you feel that you are an actual bystander in every scene. Once I started reading this story, the desperate need for sleep is the only thing that made me put my Kindle down. I am SO excited to move on to the next book in the series!

*I received a complimentary ARC of this book in order
Becky
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A thriller to the end and beyond. Matt Deal is seeking revenge for his daughter's rape and destruction. Great plot. Great characters. Great action. Well written. Looking forward to more of these characters.
I listened to Audible version and was sometimes lost with so many different characters. But once sorted out it was very entertaining.
I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book from Story Origin.
blueyed_cntry_girl
Dec 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After what happens to his daughter, Matt Deal goes back to the UK and becomes a hard hitting detective. A lot happens while he’s there and eventually comes back to the US. Having lived in the areas of Fort Walton Beach and Destin I liked the specific accurate details about the area. Now Matt has a partner in Wolfie and they become vigilantes to give justice for his daughter. This story brings you in and has you turning the pages til you’re done.
Ellen Aish
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an honest review of a free book sent via voracious readers.

Wow what a fantastic film this would make. Absolutely loved the uk's post brexit state of affairs. Let's hope it is just fiction. The author really brings the characters to life with many twists and turns along the way. If you enjoy a good book then this one is a must.
J Davies
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable rad, and what a finish

This book is set in the near future and the action moves from the US to a dystopian England and back again. I liked the main character and his sidekick.
Diane E
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fun fast read

This is supposedly set in the near future . The UK and the US seem to be close . I see the story as a combination current and early mid 20th century (gangster ) comedy . Lots of action .
Nora Hanson
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Hooked me fast and I spent the day reading. Very hard to put down. I look forward to the next book!
Pat
Jun 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thriller of the year.

Mercy is one hell of a ride! Stephen Bentley has written one awesome thriller, page turning suspense at its best. Mercy is one of the best thrillers that I have read. Disappointed to cone to the end of the novel, cant wait for the next book in the Matt Deal series. Highly recommend. Shortlisted for the best book we have read all year through readfree.ly.
Lcottrel
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Highly Captivating.

Loved the characters as well as the storyline. Well written, hard to put down at times. I would highly recommend.
Will Peek
Oct 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolute page turner. I enjoyed the characters and look forward to their development through the series.
Edi McNinch
I am not in the habit of giving bad reviews but this book desperately needs help. The description hooks you, but the first few chapters it is so disjointed and it is difficult to like the characters. Everything happens too quickly. The date shifts too quickly. It would have been so much nicer to have just been a memory recall of events and then pop back into present day, minus the placement of the years. Then maybe you could get to know The guy before he blasts off 5 years into the future. The c ...more
Jessica
Jul 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting read. In Mercy, Matt Deal's life is changed forever when he essentially losses his fifteen year old daughter who is brutally assaulted and left for dead on the beach, her assailants walking free. What will Matt do now that his world has fallen apart: run or seek revenge??? Find out in Mercy. ...more
Kay Castaneda
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stephen Bentley's new book, Mercy, A Detective Matt Deal Thriller, is the first in this series. His partner Wolfie Jules, a tough, attractive biker, arrives on the scene early in the story as witness to the brutal attack of Matt's daughter Mercy. Wolfie becomes manager of Matt's martial arts studio when he must get away to deal with his anger and sadness. The weight of his daughter's assault, which lands her in a coma, is too much to bear. His ex-wife and father-in-law create added stress for th ...more

• Give No Chance (Lawson & Abernathy #1)
  • Live No Lies (Lawson & Abernathy #2)
  • Serenity Possessed (The Shelby Alexander Thriller Series Book 8)
  • In the Heart of the Fire (Nameless #1)
  • Bury the Past: An addictive and thrilling crime mystery (Detective Bex Wynter Files Book 8)
  • Raw Justice: Frank Luce Book 2 (Frank Luce Series)
  • Times Like These  (Inspector Marco, #4)
  • Hide No Secrets (Lawson & Abernathy #3)
  • The Revenge Killer (DCI Rob Miller #2)
  • Darkness to Light Series Box Set
  • The Solace Farm Killings (DI Ruth Hunter, #7)
  • Righteous Anger (DCI Rob Miller #3)
  • FORGOTTEN VICTIM an absolutely gripping crime mystery with a massive twist (Detective Rachel King Thrillers Book 4)
  • The Broken Mother (Lee Callaway #6)
  • Photographing the Dead (Nameless #2)
  • Her Name Was Rose
  • Relentless
  • The Praying Mantis Bride (Nameless #3)
Stephen is a former UK Detective Sergeant, undercover cop and barrister (trial attorney). Now a writer, author and occasional contributor to Huffington Post UK on undercover policing and mental health issues.

Stephen's memoir Undercover: Operation Julie - The Inside Story was first published in September 2016 and rapidly became an Amazon UK #1 Best Seller in two categories. It has since topped the

Detective Matt Deal (2 books)
  • Mayhem (Detective Matt Deal #2)

News & Interviews