Start by marking “The State of Us” as Want to Read:

The State of Us

When Dean Arnaults mother decided to run for president, it wasnt a surprise to anyone, least of all her son. But still that doesnt mean Dean wants to be part of the public spectacle that is the race for the White Houseat least not until he meets Dre.

The only problem is that Dre Rosario's on the opposition; hes the son of the Democratic nominee. But as Dean and Dres
Expected publication: June 2nd 2020 by HarperTeen

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Jun 02, 2020
    What happens when the teenage sons of the Republican and Democratic candidates for President of the United States fall in love on the sidelines of ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 38 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 01 - Apr 29, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The State of Us, please sign up.
    Irisheyz77 Yes it will - there are similarities between the two books but State of Us is its own story. If you liked RW&RB chances are good you will like…moreYes it will - there are similarities between the two books but State of Us is its own story. If you liked RW&RB chances are good you will like this one too. (less)

Start your review of The State of Us
    ✨    jamieson   ✨
    Shelves: anticipated-2020
    "the son of the democrat and republican candidates fall in love"

its giving me red, white & royal blue vibes and I'm HERE for it
    Kai
    Shelves: queer, to-buy
    Red, White and Royal Blue but make it YA!
    Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
    Oct 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
    yessir I will take anything that looks remotely like Red, White & Royal Blue in any shape or form
    Natasha
    crossing my fingers the republican son is a closet leftist
    interested but wary bc of the republican son. really really hoping he's a secret democrat
    Nicole| Booklover.zzz | Zamudio-Roman
    4.5/5 stars

I enjoy the part where adults I hardly know treat me like an anomaly because I know a few words with more than two syllables. I grimaced. They probably think all teenagers are brain-dead and sit around huffing dry-erase markers.

Compared to other Shaun David Hutchinsons YA books, The State of Us took me more time to get into after the opening. The starting few chapters drew my attention with the major event that happens in the first few chapter but I found that there were time (through
    Dylan
    Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    only rating this so i can be the first rating because im petty but lets be honest, it's gonna be five stars from me.
    elisa
    Mar 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
    HI UM SHAWN OUT HERE LITERALLY ONE BOOK A YEAR !!!! IM SO EXCITED MAN HE NEVER DISAPPOINTS AHHH IM READY TO HAVE MY LIFE RUINES AGAIN

EDIT: SO WE HAVE A PLOT AND I KNOW IT SOUNDS SIMILAR TO RW&RB B U T I BET ITS GONNA BE NOTHING LIKE IT BC DOES ANYONE REMEMBER SHAUNS TENDENCY TO INCLUDE SCI FI IN HIS BOOKS ??? THAT THIS WILL PROBABLY NOT BE A FUN ROMCOM AND RATHER SOMETHING THAT MAKES US QUESTION OUR REALITY ITSELF?? BC I REMEMBERED AND IM SCARED
    Anniek
    Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
    If you loved Red, White & Royal Blue, you're sure to enjoy this one as well!

And the demisexual rep was GREAT!

CWs: public outing, homophobia
    Zoeraye
    Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    no one:
    me this year: if its not about the children of ROYALS or AMERICAN POLITICIANS, i DONT WANT TO READ IT
    Kelly
    Hutchinson's first fully-contemporary read is a romance between Dre, the son of a Democratic Mexican-American presidential candidate and Dean, the son of a female Republican presidential candidate. Dre knows he's gay, while Dean is wrestling with here he may lie on the asexual/demisexual spectrum. Dre is out, while Dean cannot be for fear of how his family might react. But what unites them isn't just a budding romance -- it's ensuring that the third party candidate who is pure evil doesn't get ...more
    Ben Ace
    WHEN WAS THIS ANNOUNCED AND WHY'D NO ONE TELL ME??? I NEED THIS NOW
    Bridget
    Oct 01, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Havent even read RW&RB but this sounds too interesting to pass up.

Also, speaking as someone who detests both the Democratic and Republican parties, Im really hoping this isnt a praise one party and demonize the other situation. If thats the case, its an instant one star from me.
    kelly ♥
    Shelves: anticipated-2020
    it is over for everybody else.. this is THE book of 2020
    Rach
    Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
    We have Dre who father is a Democratic nominee and Dean whose mum is a Republican.

They meet properly after they get stuck in a room together after a emergency.

Dean and Dre dont appear to have much in common but soon learn you can be opposites and form a relationship. These two are so cute together in the book.

I love the way writer wrote them as actual youngest who make mistakes and errors.

The author also handles issues that have been in the news in recent years with upmost care.

This book
    - ̗̀ whoreofbookboyfriends ̖́-
    can i have this right now please
    Iris
    Sep 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
    I have never read a Shaun David Hutchinson book, nor ever felt particularly inclined to, but this book changes things because HELLO this premise is everything
    Ivy
    Mar 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: coming-soon-20
    This sounds similar to Red, White, and Royal Blue but I trust Shaun David Hutchinson implicitly, so it's bound to be increasingly better.
    Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
    Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    post-read review

Love wins and so does this book.

I want to dive right back in and relive Dean and Dre's story all over again. It was just that perfect.

This is now my second favorite Hutchinson novel (because We Are the Ants will always be my first love).

I cannot wait for it to come out this summer so I can write a nice, long rambling review packed with my deep love for every part, every page, every word of this book.

pre-read review

Here comes Shaun David Hutchinson about to actually improve my
    Cas
    oh my god? oh my god? oh ? my? hello?

i know that this is inevitably going to be compared to red, white & royal blue and look. trust me. i love that book like i should love the bible according to some (but the way to hell is never paved with good intentions and im extremely gay, i got nothing else), but i also love shaun david hutchinsons books with the same kind of passion so im not inclined to draw comparisons! just give me the damn book!
    anya
    Sep 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: tbr-in-2020
    Holy crap is this real I need this
    OMG ITS GOT A COVER
    Beth
    Dec 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2020-release
    12/14 ~
    Please let the son of the republican secretly be a democrat
    rach
    Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: spring-tbr
    Thank you to HarperTeen for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review

I was nervous going into this, I have to say. This has been compared non-stop to red, white and royal blue, and for good reason, they are very similar premises. I was nervous that this book would do what rwrb did and have this whole good vs evil thing going on with the two parties, thankfully it didn't not and it was actually quite the opposite.

The relationship between Dre and Dean was good, some
    noah
    Jan 09, 2020 rated it liked it
    aw this was cute.

everyone making rw&rb references and well... they're not wrong.. only this had 100% less royalty and was at least 50% more political.

honestly it's the politics that got me down about this book. there's so much debating, not just between the presidential candidates, but between dean and dre too. they argued about their political beliefs so much! it was a political overload.. and no offense america, but your politics are one of the most stressful to read about.

ive read like 7
    Bee
    Nothing like a queer romance to get me back into reading and swooning on the sofa and finishing with a happy sigh as I sink into the cushions. The State of Us is an amazing, supercute, superswoony and utterly brilliant book that everyone absolutely NEEDS to read. If you pick up one book this year, make it this one.

Also, HUGE shoutout to the demi/ace rep in this book for being so damn on point it made me cry ugly happy tears.
    Mari
    Jun 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Excuse me? This sounds amazing.

But its Shaun David Hutchinson, so I would read it anyway.
    rachel ☾

◯ Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Blog Goodreads Twitter Instagram The Book Depository
    Fanna
    Dec 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
    Shelves: 2020-releases
    The author is one of my favourites. And this is giving me Red White & Royal Blue vibes which makes it almost an inevitably anticipated read.
    Chloe
    Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
    *Spoiler free, 3.75 stars*

I have friends who absolutely rave about Shaun David Hutchinson books and have basically be pushing me to read some since the beginning of time. Since this one was queer, which was basically all I needed, and sounded kinda like a YA version of Red, White, And Royal Blue! Trigger warnings: homophobia, racism, sexism

I now see why my friends rave about his books. I fell in love with the writing basically the second I opened the book. While this book is feel good all the
    Tina
    Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: ya, perfect-fives
    I loved this one. Just the right amount of sass and sweet for me. I am so happy to see more books work ace characters, especially when there are awesome pocs as main characters too. Kudos.
    « previous 1 3 next »

• We Are Totally Normal
    • Only Mostly Devastated
    • The Gravity of Us
    • Infinity Son (Infinity Cycle, #1)
    • This Tender Land
    • The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War
    • The Girl Who Lived Twice (Millennium, #6)
    • The Fascinators
    • The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)
    • Yes No Maybe So
    • Sorcery of Thorns
    • Love and Other Words
    • The Caves of Steel (Robot #1)
    • Hey, Kiddo
    • Funny memes and pictures: Include SpongeBob memes, Pokemon memes, Minecraft memes and Cat memr
    • Date Me, Bryson Keller
    • Imaginary Friend
    • Slay
    Shaun is a major geek and all about nerdy shenanigans. He is the author of many queer books for young adults. Find out more information at shaundavidhutchinson.com. He currently lives in Seattle and watches way too much Doctor Who.

Articles featuring this book

Love, loss, magic, and wonder: 2020 looks to be a year of glued-to-the-page reading in the young adult genre. Among the most anticipated books ...