Start by marking “Omoiyari: The Japanese Art of Compassion” as Want to Read:
Omoiyari: The Japanese Art of Compassion

Omoiyari: The Japanese Art of Compassion

‘Omoiyari is a form of selfless compassion – putting yourself in the shoes of others, and from their perspective anticipating their needs, acting in a way that might make them at ease, happy or comfortable.’

This book will help you embrace omoiyari and bring joy and happiness into your own life and the lives of others.

Care, consideration and empathy underpin all aspects of
Published July 9th 2020 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Omoiyari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Omoiyari

Start your review of Omoiyari: The Japanese Art of Compassion
Laine
Apr 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
vēl viena dizainiski ļoti skaista :)
Megan Lougheed
The most important lesson I have learned from this book (personally) is to have more compassion for myself. I know the book is about empathy for others, but isnt it hypocrite, to give others empathy, without giving it to myself? In this book you learn a lot about the Japanse art of compassion, which we all should include in our lives to give people special moments they wont forget. Every experience should be one to remember.
Frederike
Jun 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
'Let the past drift away with the water' is but one of the many Japanese words of wisdom quoted in lavishly illustrated (in a restrained and beautiful way) Omoiyari, which is all about bringing joy into your own life and that of others, which perusing and ruminating on certainly brought me ...more
Shruti Sharma
Apr 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book. I picked this one because I love all things Japanese. And this book didn't disappoint me. With beautiful illustrations, designing, typography, quotes, concepts and examples this book kept me hooked till the last page. A must-read if you love Japanese culture. ...more
Airin Efferin
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Four Stars for the lovely pictures.

I enjoyed learning deeper about the beautiful side of Japanese culture. However, sometimes the author takes a tone that's slightly bossy which turns me off. I react this way because I am in Indonesia, and one of the big issues we constantly talk about here is the atrocities of the Japanese invasion from 1942-1945. It's so much horror.

There are always 2 sides of a certain culture. So I enjoyed learning about the beautiful side from this book.
Lauren
Feb 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
completion note: “Right book, right place, right time.” A much-needed reminder to take care of the people and things around us.

★★★★★ | 5.00 stars | RTC
Jolyn Moh
Jun 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lifestyle
This is the second book by Erin Niimi Longhurst but I read this first.

Omoi reflects the concept of thought, the way people think or their feelings, emotions, sentiments or desires. Omoiyari is an extension of this thinking in relation to others - a type of projection. The simplest way to describe it might be to anticipate the needs of others, in an altruistic way that is imbued with empathy without the expectation of reward or anything in return.

Omoiyari is important because, in a larger scheme
Thanh
Apr 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
Mình thật sự thấy yêu nước Nhật hơn qua từng trang sách. Văn hoá, con người nơi đây có quá nhiều điều thật ngưỡng mộ, học hỏi và trân trọng. Ikigai và cuốn sách này là lời giới thiệu để mình đưa gia đình tới đất nước mặt trời mọc một ngày không xa.
Nattawut Phetmak
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was ok
don't teach anything much, just show random (not so) japanese culture here and there ...more
Maya
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very relaxing and beautiful book. Interesting concept as well as lovely pictures.
Pro Mukherjee
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Really enjoyed what for me was an introduction to Japanese culture and its applicability to life outside of Japan. Plus the beautiful imagery was an added bonus !
Kim
Jun 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
A little book about Japanese customs that reflect compassion.
Lenny
Apr 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fijn boekje, mooie fotos
Erin
Oct 17, 2020 added it
The pictures made me feel nostalgic for Japan!
Evelien Meulders
Mar 29, 2021
Caroline Petruzzi McHale
Dec 19, 2020
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • Clap When You Land
  • Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots
  • Dear Wife
  • Sharing a House with the Never-Ending Man: 15 Years at Studio Ghibli
  • Girl, Stop Apologizing: A Shame-Free Plan for Embracing and Achieving Your Goals
  • The Ones We Trust
  • The Surprising Power of a Good Dumpling
  • Fragile Lives: A Heart Surgeon’s Stories of Life and Death on the Operating Table
  • For the Record
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)
  • The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War
  • Anxious People
  • The Midnight Library
  • Be Not Far from Me
  • Soul Cage (Reiko Himekawa, #2)
  • Gotta Get Theroux This: My Life and Strange Times in Television
  • Pizza Girl
Erin Niimi Longhurst is a half-Japanese, half-British writer and blogger. She currently works as a social media and digital consultant, helping charities, nonprofits, and foundations to improve their interactions with those who are important to them, by telling their stories more effectively online. Her blog, Island Bell, focuses on food, travel, and lifestyle. She is a graduate of the University ...more