Start by marking “Greenlights” as Want to Read:
Greenlights

Greenlights

4.29  ·  Rating details ·  35,948 ratings  ·  5,543 reviews
6 hours, 42 minutes

From the Academy Award®–winning actor, an unconventional memoir filled with raucous stories, outlaw wisdom, and lessons learned the hard way about living with greater satisfaction

I’ve been in this life for fifty years, been trying to work out its riddle for forty-two, and been keeping diaries of clues to that riddle for the last thirty-five. Notes abou
Published October 20th 2020 by Crown Publishing Group (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Greenlights, please sign up.
Misty Nope! I would in no way recommend this to anyone under age 18, but I would even hesitate recommending to anyone. Though there were parts that I found …moreNope! I would in no way recommend this to anyone under age 18, but I would even hesitate recommending to anyone. Though there were parts that I found very interesting and enjoyable to read, there was a lot of strong profanity. I can take the f-word a few times, but it is used throughout the entire book. Premarital sex, drug use, promoting hedonistic living, lying, domestic violence. The idea that the bad things you do are only bad if you get caught. Definitely not what I would want my youth to learn and I would be pretty upset if they picked it up from the school library. There is so much literature out there that is wholesome that teaches great life lessons without all of the profanity and depravity.(less)

·  35,948 ratings  ·  5,543 reviews

Start your review of Greenlights
Marlana Williams
My suggestion is to listen to the audiobook so that you can get wrapped up in that warm, friendly, country-boy voice of his as if he is talking directly to you. My suggestion is also to listen in a quiet environment because Matthew is not an overbearing narrator.

What you'll get are some the wonderful interjections of laughter and a few "wooo"s to let you know that Matthew is a genuine human being, very humble of his own fame. Even better, he's very intelligent. There are many passages that can
Elyse  Walters
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
I LOVED IT!!!!!!
isn’t that enough? FANTASTIC storytelling...
MEMORABLE STORIES you ‘won’t’ forget.
Mathew is not only a great actor, he’s a GREAT AUTHOR!!!
HE CAN WRITE!!!!
For readers who think this book isn’t for you—-you just might surprise yourself.

Its soooooo engaging!!!
I didn’t want miss a word!!!!

I loved, loved, loved, loved it!!!!
YOU’ll LOVE IT!!!!! I Promise!!!!!!
“Greenlights”..... 🟢 is a wonderful gift to ‘thyself’.

🟢Greenlight 🟢 Greenlight 🟢 Greenlight 🟢

Thank you, Mathew.......
....
Gabby
Really enjoyed this one. I really love Matthew McConnaughey as a human and as an actor so I was really excited to hear he wrote a book! I listened to the audiobook and his narration is absolutely fantastic, if you decide to read this book you HAVE to go with the audiobook, his voice is amazing and his narration was so fun I was smiling like an idiot most of the time reading this.

Only reason I knocked off a star is because I wasn’t a huge fan of the self-help parts of this book, I was more intere
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Ahhhhhh...I am totally listening to Matthew McConaughey! ❤️ Holy crap! So there is something to be said for a memoir where the author reads you their story. You all know the voice...but do you know the story?

So I think there are two types of memoirs. One where the author paints the picture they want you to see, their public persona. Then there is the type where they actually let you get a glimpse of their life. Their outlook, thoughts and of course the path they have taken to get where they are
Sean Barrs
Nov 28, 2020 rated it did not like it
You lost me on the third wet dream, Matthew.

Talk about oversharing your self-centred story.
Swaroop
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a good read - suitable for all times, but makes more sense for these uncertain and strange times.

***

To all those criticising this book as `self centered` and `selfish` - my answer is “you are right”.

memoir: a written record of a person's own life and experiences (Cambridge Dictionary)

As the above definition states, a memoir is about a person`s own life – so it will be about `self`. And, when someone writes or speaks about self, of course, it will be about themselves…

Greenlights is
Joshua Lawson
Oct 25, 2020 rated it liked it
On the one hand, I read this book in less than two days over the course of a rainy weekend.

On the other hand, I have been keeping notebooks in which I wax poetic since I was eighteen and this book has inspired me to never ever share them with anyone.
Toni Parvin
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Alright alright alright...5 easy breezy stars. It felt like I sat around with him over a glass of scotch and he told me stories of his life. He’s witty, funny, smooth, and worked his literary skills through my heart. I laughed out loud, I paused to write down deep truths that resonated with me, and I face palmed at some of his antics. Do yourself a favor and listen to the Audible, he narrates! Oh yes!!!

His life has been interesting, to say the least. I love his passion to constantly be
Mediaman
A rambling book with great stories but flawed execution. McConaughey was a C student in college, claiming he was normally an A student but wanted to devote time to real world instead of books, and at the end of this books says he'd rather "take an experienced C over an ignorant A any day." Well, this book is a C at best and could have been an A if he would have been less self-satisfied and allowed others to guide him to objective conclusions. Instead it's all about subjective Matthew living his ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I love Matthew as an actor, I didn’t love this book like I was hoping. And that’s ok 😉

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Larry H
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Alright, alright, alright...

Greenlights is exactly what you’d expect a memoir from Matthew McConaughey to be like, and that’s pretty great.

I’ve been a McConaughey fan since he appeared as Drew Barrymore’s boyfriend in the movie Boys on the Side . Aside from his obvious aesthetic gifts (I saw him once in person during his dirty, shoeless days in Austin and he was still totally magnetic) and his acting talent, I’ve always thought him to be one of the bluntest, funniest, most cerebral celebr
britt_brooke
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Oh lord, was this annoying. I love a good celebrity memoir, but not when riddled with self-help tidbits. If McConaughey had stuck to personal essays without all the cheesy, self-satisfactory interjections (“prescription!” and “note to self!” and “bumper sticker!”), I’d have liked it more, even though the stories themselves felt very anecdotal and lacked depth. Unless you’re a massive fan, I can’t recommend.
Marialyce

I have liked him as an actor and that’s what he should stick with!
Jen
Dec 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
What a disappointment.. was soooo looking forward to this!! UGH seriously probably 2.5 ⭐ for me but it's a biography and I feel harsh lowball scoring someone's life thoughts lol so I rounded up.. I realize a lot of people loved this but truly not sure what to say about that.

Also not too sure where to start here but will make it brief. My final thoughts are that I guess you should leave your Hollywood crushes alone and not read about their lives in case you end up here, where I am... I loved Matt
Renee Amberg
Jan 07, 2021 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed. I initially picked it up for philosophical thought but got Mr. Mcgaughey’s life story instead - not angry about it, just not what I was expecting.
He is such a free spirit, it makes me jealous. He’s one of those people who really just lives life to the grandest without ever losing the will the keep on going. He takes every moment as a lesson and life virtue, it’s extremely inspiring.
He’s way more artsy than I thought, he lives his life so vibrantly and vividly that I feel like
Regina
Dec 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Green lights:
- Matthew McConaughey is a self-proclaimed optimist. It’s refreshing to see the perspective of someone whose glass is so full.
- The way he reads the audiobook is pretty darn funny, making me spontaneously laugh many times.
- There are some pieces of good advice, like standing firm with your decisions to forego the easy paths while you wait for the right one.

Yellow lights:
- M.M. is a weird dude, but if you opt to listen to or read his book you probably already know that.
- There ar
Matthew McConaughey has the gift of gab. He could easily be a preacher. I can’t imagine choosing to read the physical book and missing out on hearing him narrate. Is what he’s saying worth listening to? Sometimes.

At first, this struck me as more of a fun, autobiographical stand-up routine than a memoir. Yet I wondered if he was aware of how abusive his parents seemed as he told his crazy stories and declared how much love was in their household.

He does things in his book that made me roll my eye
Christy
4 stars

I’ve read several memoirs lately and this has definitely been the most fun. Matthew McConaughey has had an interesting life and I absolutely loved his narration and his outlook on life. Quite a few times I laughed out loud. I enjoyed this one lots.

Audio book source: Libby (library borrow)
Story Rating: 4 stars
Narrators: Matthey McConaughey
Narration Rating: 4.5 stars
Genre: Memoir
Length: 6 hours and 42 minutes

Katie B

It's fair to say Matthew McConaughey marches to the beat of his own drum. And bongos. (Yes, the infamous naked bongo playing arrest is brought up in this memoir, and yet, it doesn't seem as weird now in 2020 as it did back when it happened in 1999.) So it wasn't surprising to me that he wrote a unique memoir. While I enjoyed reading this book on my Kindle, I do think it might be even better as an audiobook. The life advice type stuff that is interjected throughout the book will probably
Cindy
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Another narcissistic actor who loves to hear himself talk! This book was very preachy and about as deep as a paper cut! What have I learned about Matthew? I've learned that I never want to be stuck in a room with him! ...more
Claudia
It’s a love letter. To life.

Indeed it is. McConaughey is a guy who really pursued his dreams. (view spoiler)

What I most liked about his writing is that it's not polished: his thoughts, adventures, stories, all are raw, spiced more often than not with humor and self-irony. He is charming, funny, thoughtfu
Leigh
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I have to say I really enjoyed this book. I listened to it on a road trip. Loved the honesty as well as the voice of McConaughey. The added, "notes to self," and "bumper stickers," had me laughing throughout. I had a similar upbringing, complete with spankings.....I turned out pretty good. Keep up the good work Matthew. I look forward to the next one. ...more
Lisa
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this wild, deeply soulful, entertaining memoir. The audiobook version is a MUST. Matthew's narration is phenomenal. ...more
Sara
Nov 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Matthew McConaughey is one heck of a story teller!
I listened to this on audio book and was truly engaged the whole way through.
This book is raw, witty, insightful, uplifting and had me laughing out loud

And lets be honest, with that voice, I would listen to McConaughey read the phone book!
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Alright, Alright, Alright! Greenlights by Matthew McConaughey....what can I say?

This book was fun, it was entertaining, it was interesting. It made me laugh so much and it broke my heart. Matthew has been one of my favourite actors since A Time To Kill. I loved hearing his behind the scenes stories about making his movies.

But it is so much more than that. Matthew really is a born storyteller. Greenlights covers his life from being a kid right up to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is stories from his
Kay
“We cannot fully appreciate the light without the shadows. We have to be thrown off balance to find our footing. It’s better to jump than fall. And here I am.”

I didn't plan on listening/reading this book. I wasn't interested because the overwhelming PR before the release and I thought I heard and read too many bits and parts that I no longer need to read this memoir. But... I grabbed it because it was available on Libby and O. M. G. I am glad that I did. This was so good!

It is raw. It is funny
Cori
Oct 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
5 Stars to this book. I loved hearing Matthew read his own book. He added his signature voice, animation, and laughs and made this book absolutely perfect. Its a memoir and personal reflection and humor and even a bit philosophical. I looked forward to listening. He owned his mistakes (and laughed at himself at times) and was not negative, he was always looking for ways to grow and improve himself. I have nothing but respect for him and this will be one of my Top 5 books of 2020. I Highly Recomm ...more
Em Lost In Books
I went with high hopes into this book, very sure that I would like it as I have always enjoyed his work. But things didn't go as well. There are few things that I didn't like.

The first thing that struck me odd was how he painted the picture of domestic violence. He went into details once but told that it was the norm, this was how the parents showed their love. And it was quite scary.

Then there was him saying that stealing is not bad unless you got caught (he got it from his parents), come on
Seth Turner
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing. Not your typical biography. Filled with nuggets of insight. Profound letters, prose, and poetry. McConaughey shows not only his life and the “greenlight” moments, he dives deep into himself with his most vulnerable essence. A joy to read.
Emily
This was a TRIP. If you read this as a memoir, it is quite fun, with the right balance of wacky stories that give some insight into Matthew McConaughey as a person. If you read this as an "approach book" for Matthew McConaughey's life philosophy, it is totally incoherent. I read the Kindle edition of this book, and the search returns 60+ instances of the word "greenlight." I still do not understand what a greenlight is, and I am pretty sure that Matthew McConaughey doesn't understand it either. ...more
Play Book Tag: Greenlights - Matthew McConaughey - 4 stars 3 26 Nov 25, 2020 10:00AM

• It
  • Chatter: The Voice in Our Head, Why It Matters, and How to Harness It
  • An End to Upside Down Living: Reorienting Our Consciousness to Live Better and Save the Human Species
  • An End to Upside Down Thinking: Why Your Assumptions about the Material World Are No Longer Scientifically True
  • Kintsugi Wellness: The Japanese Art of Nourishing Mind, Body, and Spirit
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Swimming Lessons: Poems
  • Fortune of Fear (Mission Earth, #5)
  • Cypress Point
  • Berserk, Vol. 1
  • V for Vendetta, Vol. I of X (V for Vendetta, #1)
  • V for Vendetta
  • Batman: Year One
  • Al Capone: His Life, Legacy, and Legend
  • Between the World and Me
  • Fool Me Once
  • The Genius of Birds
  • Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption
Academy Award-winning actor Matthew McConaughey is a married man, a father of three children, and a loyal son and brother. He considers himself a storyteller by occupation, believes it's okay to have a beer on the way to the temple, feels better with a day's sweat on him, and is an aspiring orchestral conductor.

In 2009, Matthew and his wife, Camila, founded the just keep livin Foundation, which he

News & Interviews

“Don’t walk into a place like you wanna buy it, walk in like you own it.” 40 likes
“I believe the truth is only offensive when we're lying.” 33 likes