Start by marking “Love is What You Bake of it” as Want to Read:
Love is What You Bake of it

Love is What You Bake of it

(Meraki #1)

The only love Kally Andarakis is baking is in the form of the sweet treats she whips up in her café, The Coffee Klatch.

Kally never believed herself to be a person worthy of love, but when an intoxicating man she considered out of her league pursues her, she risks everything to be with him. Later, when tragedy strikes, truths are revealed that leave Kally brokenhearted and
Published March 24th 2020 by Effie Kammenou

To ask other readers questions about Love is What You Bake of it, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love is What You Bake of it

Start your review of Love is What You Bake of it
Larry H
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, blog-tour
Effie Kammenou's Love is What You Bake of It is a charming rom-com full of drama, secrets, and lots of desserts.

There should totally be a sub-genre of fiction for books that leave you starving. I've read far too many of those to my waistline's detriment. Love is What You Bake of It would easily fall into that category, plus it has recipes!

Kally is finally living her dream of running her own bakery, The Coffee Klatch. Despite all of her success, everyone in her family is more fixated on h
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
*** Note : I received e-copy of this book as a part of blog tour. many thanks to Kelly @Love Books Group for tour invite and author for review copy. ***

Love is What You Bake of it was lovely romance that revolved around Kally, her café and her love and faith issues. It was about not everything is as it looks and make assumptions based on it, having faith in person you love, healing, forgiveness, and giving love second chance.

Essential ingredients for Love is What You Bake of it:
Flour of interes
Shalini
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fun sweet book filled with recipes of baked goods that filled me with love at first sight. I looked at the cover and fell in love. Author Effie Kammenou had written some delightful characters with quirky relatives set in a Greek family with a mystery or two in the past.

Kally had been hurt before, hence she was wary of love. Entered Max along with his daughter Athena, and slowly the ice around her heart started thawing.

My first book by this author, I loved the romance which swirled between the
Angela
4 Stars

Love Is What You Bake Of It is the first book in a wonderful new series, “Meraki”, by Effie Kammenou. I really loved Ms. Kammenou’s “Gift Saga”, so it was no question that I was going to read this book. I happily one-clicked a copy for myself and jumped right in. It is different from the Gift Saga stories- in a great way- still the same well written and polished product, and with Greek characters that just jumped off the pages- but with a more light-hearted, humorous and fun story.
This s
Erin Lewis
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 star review of  Love is What You Bake Of It (Meraki Series #1) by Effie Kammenou

Effie Kammenou is a new author to me and I have no idea why that is. Love is What You Bake Of It was an entertaining read that had me invested from the first to the last chapter.

I found Kally Anadarakis and Max Vardaxis likeable and easy to relate too. The secondary characters, including a grandmother who had me in stitches at times were just as easy to relate too.

Kally has been badly burnt in the past and is not
Sara Oxton
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love is What you Bake of it by Effie Kammenou a five-star feast of a read. This is the first novel in the Meraki series and my first by this author, and I will be eager to read the rest of the series as this one did have a couple of dips and undercooked bits, but overall was a nice solid and sweet bake and left a lovely after reading taste. Kally was a great character, I immediately warmed to her and loved her aprons and the café, you could almost smell the coffee beans in the air. The Coffee Kl ...more
Patricia G.
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading the story Love is What You Bake of it (The Meraki Series Book 1) by Effie Kammenou. I am looking forward to reading the next in the series.

I knew from the moment I saw this cover that Love is What You Bake of it would be a ton of fun, but I wasn't prepared for HOW much fun, or for the unexpected feels it hit me with.

Love is What You Bake of it is a cute read about a baker and a police officer.I found Kally Anadarakis and Max Vardaxis likeable and easy to relate too. Love the con
Donna Was A Scandal
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This is a new to me, author, I will definitely read again. First off, she crafts very thorough and well-developed stories and characters. Secondly, she gives us hints and teases about future stories for the future and also in the past, people we've become connected to and want to know more about. It's honestly like three stories in one and somehow she makes all of them compelling and not overdrawn.

I also enjoyed the Greek foodie talk coupled with delicious recipes to try - it's a feast for all o
Paula White
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
3.5*

I was gifted a copy for an honest review.

These two together were very sweet. They both had demons but felt a draw to each other. Kally was one stubborn woman’s day at times you wanted to give her a shake!

I really enjoyed the chapters from the past from the other characters, it gave you a chance to see what they had gone through. I do wish Kelly had found her grandfather but maybe we will get to see that in a future book.
Piper
Love is What You Bake of it (The Meraki Series Book 1)

This is a lovely romance book by a new author l. I love Kally and her baking. Kally passion for baking is shown fro the effort she puts in her cafe. Max at first is not what you expect. I love how light hearted and humorous this book is it puts a smile on your face. Kally is scared to commit to a relationship due to her past burns.
Angela Dee
Mar 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I loved the play on words for the title 💕! This is the first book in the new Meraki series. This is a sweet story of finding love again after loss for both characters Kally and Max.

Kally is a baker who's branched out on her own from her fathers bakery, she's still dealing with the aftermath of a relationship she thinks was built on lies.
Max is police officer who has recently moved back to his small home town with his daughter after a messy marriage.

The first time they meet at her bakery there'
books are love
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Overall love the story. Love Athena and Max. Love the concept of love and it being forever and everlasting. The faith of love in Kally’s grandmother was beautiful and heartwarming. Max and his love for his daughter was precious. How all he wanted was his daughter happy and healthy was heartwarming. Max and his love for Kally and all he went through to show her he loved her but didn’t want to push his love on her was beautiful and sweet. The man was swoonwrothy.

when you first meet Max you wonder
Effie Kammenou
Mar 03, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Love is What you Bake of it releases on March 24th! To receive the most up to date news on the release or to preorder your copy join my newsletter here:

Excerpt:

Kally was stacking books on a shelf for next month’s book club selections in a cozy corner of the shop dedicated to selling novelty items when a male voice greeted her.
Turning, she came face to chest with the police officer from the day before. The very one who for some inexplicable reason was the
Kate A
May 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
Rating 3.5/5

When I first saw the cover for Love Is What You Bake Of It I just knew it was going to be a fun read and it didn’t disappoint. I mean I love baking so that was a big draw and let me tell you I have been craving some sweet treats something rotten since reading this book.

I love romance books that involve big and sometimes overbearing families and this book has that in spades, in fact, I really wanted to get to know more about the family but I feel they will be the subjects of some of t
Karyn Taylor
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love Is What You Bake Of It is the first book in the Meraki series by Effie Kammanou. Effie Kammenou is a brand new author to me and I’m now wishing that I had discovered her work sooner as I absolutely loved this book.
In this book Kallyope (Kally) Andarakis is loving life as the proud owner of coffee shop ‘The Coffee Klatch’. She has a wonderful, supportive, if not a bit overbearing, family who she adores. One thing she doesn’t have is the love of a good man. Having struggled to get over the l
Debi
Love is What You Bake of it (The Meraki Series Book 1) by Effie Kammenou

5 Stars

This is my first read by this author, I have many of her others on my TBR list and decided to make this one my first, I'm in love with the cover, and in this case you can absolutely judge this book by the cover because it was simply amazing!

I also love when there's a sweets shop / Bakery in the story, I don't know why that is such a draw for me but it's a comforting feeling and you know you're about to get a sweet awe
Laura Furuta
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
By Effie Kammenou
5 out of 5 stars

I loved reading the story Love is What You Bake of it (The Meraki Series Book 1) by Effie Kammenou. It is a story that pulled me in and didn’t let me go until the final page. I loved reading about the characters of Kally Andarakis and Max Vardaxis. Kally loves to bake and it is shown by the way she runs her café, The Coffee Klatch. She is independent, strong, and caring. She also has been affected by the past
Jenny
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely romantic novel featuring Kally Andarakis a strong independent women who is a passionate baker, and who’s first love is whipping up sweet treats in her cafe, The Coffee Klatch. Kally has sadly been left broken hearted and untrusting from a previous relationship so when the handsome and charming Max Vardaxis walks into her cafe she is reluctant to open herself up to heartbreak again but she can not deny her attraction to Max. However things are different for Kally eight years since her he ...more
Jdt
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 stars Must read

Love is what you bake of it by Effie Kammenou is a must read for all romance readers. This is a story that has ingredients from history, secrets, betrayal, second chances, love, family and not to mention all those mouthwatering Greek baked goods.
Love all the characters, and in my opinion Mrs. Kammenou has the ability to pull the reader into the events as if you were one character yourself. There are humorous moments that made me smile and laughing.
I love the narrative stile an
Rosanna Ingram
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the story of Kally and Max. Both Kally and Max have pasts that keep them from opening themselves up and allowing love to come into their lives. Instead, they both protect their hearts and keep some people at a distance in order to avoid heartbreak. But sometimes the past isn't as it seemed.
Kally owns her own bakery and puts her heart into her sweets instead of into finding someone to marry (which would make her traditional Greek family happy). Max has recently returned home to sort out
Candida Hopper
by Effie Kammenou

This is a wonderful romantic read. I enjoyed the recipes that were put in the book, I can't wait to try them out. Kally and Max have both been hurt in the past and aren't in a place where they are looking for a relationship. When Max walks into Kally's bakery for the first time and they see each other the attraction is off the charts. Max makes the decision that he's going to go for it but Kally is resistant at first but sh
TheHauteBookworm
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
I REALLY enjoyed this story! It’s a story of romance between Max and Kally, but has a multi-generational layering of stories by including the story of her grandparents. This book shares some greek culture and stresses the importance of family, making Kally’s grandparents storyline fit right in. The family recipes inserted throughout the story continue the romantical- familial feel.
The story line was definitely interesting and the characters were fun and easily likable. The author gave us the abi
Connie
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m a big fan of light romantic novels, especially in these stressful times. When I pick up a new book, my bottom line expectation is that it will transport me to another place or time so that I can forget all the drudgery of real life. Well, the author of this charming novel, Effie Kammenou, really delivers the goods! “Life Is What You Bake of It” has just the right amount of mystery, pathos, emotion, family love and romantic love! The main characters are all of Greek ethnicity, but the ethnic ...more
Jana
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love is What You Bake of it is the opening act of Effie Kammenou’s Meraki series. Effie is a new writer for me and I picked up the story after reading the synopsis. It reminded me of some other fun romance books involving baking (and as I love baking so much) so I decided to take a chance on it and … the gamble paid off! AND I absolutely loved, loved, loved the story and my god, the recipes, I cannot wait to start experimenting! They have found their place in my recipe book!
Love is What You Bake
Melissa Agena
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a delicious way to read a book! Love Is What You Bake of It is written by, Effie Kammenou. This is the first in the Meraki series. This cute little Greek book follows Kally and Max. Kally loves to bake and it shows through her café. She also hasn’t had the best love life and is kind of scorned by it. So what would any baker do but throw herself into her work. Then Max happens. Max is a police officer, who has just moved back to his hometown after a really messy divorce. Along with him, come ...more
Jackie Wright
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a new author to me but after reading Love is What You Bake of It I’m left wondering what she hasn’t crossed my radar before now. I will certainly be checking out other works by Ms Kammenou.
This is a fun, entertaining read with characters you can easily connect with and I’m sure like me Kally Anadarakis and Max Vardaxis’s story will draw you in and captivate you from the first few pages.
Both Kally and Max have been burnt by their previous relationships and it’s clear from the start they h
Faith
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Adorable character, Kally Andarakis sweeps us off our feet as she’s heavily indebted in her cafe business, The Coffee Klatch.
Kally never believed she deserved love or the happiness it brings. That is until she meets an addictive stranger who is above her means but he comes with challenges. Kally is heartbroken and ill-trusting after some secrets are revealed during a misadventure.
Eight years down line, we find Kally living the life as it is as perfect as she’s always dreamed of. That’s when sh
Dawn Daughenbaugh
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 Star
Love is What You Bake of it (The Meraki Series Book 1) by Effie Kammenou
Love is What You Bake of it is the first book in The Meraki Series by Effie Kammenou and a wonderfully written second chance romance that I absolutely loved reading. I’ve read several books by this Author and this one is definitely on my favorites list. I absolutely felt like the characters were easily relatable and well developed. There was parts where it literally tugged at my heartstrings and I found myself a bit
Michelle Austin
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love is What You Bake of it (Meraki #1) by Effie Kammenou was a great 5 star read. This was a great start to this series. I was pulled right in from the beginning.

We get an intro to Kally in the prologue where she meets a woman who helps her realize some things. We jump ahead a few years, Kally finally has her own shop regardless of how much her father gripes about it. One day a man walks into her cafe and he comes across very arrogant. But her friend accuses her of always finding the bad in me
Deb Hartman
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Effie will tell you I don't read romance. I have been making an exception for authors I have gotten to know. This was a tough call for me. I loved her Gift Saga. I went into this read thinking it was going to be the same type of romance novel. I felt it didn't have the depth her other books had. Then I learned that there are different types of romance novels. Some just have a lighter feel and this one is all that. I felt I didn't get to know the characters as well as I wanted. Then I realized th ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Help with double entries 3 18 Jan 12, 2021 08:26PM

• The Last Summer Sister
  • Tangled Fates (Tangled Magic #2)
  • Feisty Heroines
  • Turn up the Tempo (Lyrical Odyssey Rock Star series, #4)
  • Die for Me
  • Bottomed Out
  • And The River Runs Deep: The Cold Case Murder Mystery of Leah Marcus
  • Another Yesterday
  • 2am Secrets
  • Mountains Wanted (Mountains Trilogy Book 1)
  • P.A.W.S. (The P.A.W.S. Saga, #1)
  • The Divided Twin
  • Holding Out for You
  • My Pretty (Mischief Matchmakers, #1)
  • Scoring Chance : A Mile High Miners Novella
  • Sweet Salvation (The Protectors, #3)
  • Love Gaia: The Diary Directive

Effie Kammenou is a believer that it is never too late to chase your dreams, follow your heart, or change your career. She is proof of that. At one time, long ago, she'd hoped that by her age, she would have had an Oscar in her hand after a successful career as an actor. Instead, she worked in the optical field for 40 years while raising her two daughters.

In 2015, three years after the death of h