Start by marking “Single All the Way” as Want to Read:
Single All the Way

Single All the Way

I can see my mother is calling me. I answer the phone, knowing I’ll have to tell her about Oliver and me breaking up. But before I can, she announces, ‘I don’t exactly know how to tell you this… But I’m leaving your dad.’

Single together for the first time, 34-year-old Meg and her warm-hearted, long-suffering mother Sally are cancelling Christmas, and running away to a ti
Published October 28th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Single All the Way, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Single All the Way

Start your review of Single All the Way
Carrie
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
While Single All the Way by Karen King is technically best classified as a contemporary romance that takes place at Christmastime the cover makes it seem a bit more whimsical than it is. This one is not the light and fluffy feel-good you may normally find during the holiday season but instead a book that takes a deep look into two separate relationships and whether those are worth fighting to keep.

Meg, who is in her mid thirties, has been married to her husband, Oliver, for five years after havi
Shelleen Toland
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-read
Meg is 34 and wants to start a family before she gets to old to have kids. Her husband keeps putting it off and then finally tells her he never wants kids. She feels like she wasted her life and that he lied to her and led her on so she leaves. He feels they should be happy just the 2 of them because they love each other.
As Meg is ready to tell her mom she receives a phone call from her mom that she left her dad. She isn't happy and hasn't been for awhile. He is happy just sitting home and putte
LaBibliodeCaro
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Single All The Way is a well-written festive novel that successfully fuses family drama and food for thought about choices we make in life and how they impact our dear ones. I didn’t stumble upon any lengthy portions despite the fact that the action unfolds over a long period of time, which made for a pleasant reading session.

I found the general plot idea brilliant and refreshing. Both mother and daughter find themselves single around Christmastime, but for very different reasons. Basically, the
Shalini
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was quite a contemplative read which had me pondering over relationships and the complexities that surround it.

Meg and her mother Sally had both left their husbands on the same day, due to reasons unknown. They went to a cottage on the Cornish coast to heal from their pain. They needed to think about their next step. During this entire process, they got to understand each other better and learn a few things from people who entered their lives.

Short precise chapters written with emotions by
Alison
Meg thinks she has the perfect marriage, until her husband drops a bombshell that changes the way she thinks about everything. Then when she leaves a message on her mother's voicemail that she has left Oliver, her mother Sally announces that she has left Meg's father.

Together Sally and Meg travel to a holiday cottage in Cornwall, the same one in which Sally and Meg's father spent their honeymoon. Together mother and daughter get involved in traditional village activities like the Christmas fayre
Vonda
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
This is exactly the type of feel good romance you are looking for the holidays. Has a beautiful flow to it.
Julie Morris
Dec 17, 2019 rated it liked it
This is another ‘catch up’ post, where I try and review all the books I neglected in December! The only problem with this tardiness is, of course, that this is a Christmas book and it isn’t Christmas any more! Still, some people read festive books all year round. Or, maybe you are just looking for a nostalgic read to take you back to the sparkling, joyful days of the holidays and away from the depressing gloom of January. Or maybe you are starting a list for next Christmas. Hopefully this will h ...more
Anitajt
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I knew I was going to enjoy this book. Without giving too much away it’s a story about two women who leave their husbands and how they cope over Christmas together coming to terms with their feelings and their lives for the future. Thought provoking, entertaining and gives an insight to both sides of relationships. Loved it.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Vivien Brown
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Two couples splitting up just before Christmas, both for very different reasons. As mum and daughter go away together to Cornwall to think, and to try to come to terms with the breaks in their once happy family, new friendships are formed and decisions are made. Who will get back together, who will not, and will it be for the right reasons? A little drawn out and repetitive in places but a good emotional read.
Lizzie Chantree
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love a good Christmas read and this book didn't disappoint. The story has such depth that you keep turning page after page. You get drawn into the lives of Sally and Meg and discover that Christmas is the catalyst for big decisions from both go them, that could change their lives forever. Throughout the novel, relationships aren't always as they seem from the outside and new friends and a change of scenery make the characters take time to think about what they really want from love and life. A ...more
Melissa
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book. The writing kept me engaged and was such a lovely story. A perfect read for this time of year. I really loved the characters and would happily read a book that tells me what happens next for all of the characters. Deserves 5 stars!!
Agi
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019-releases, 2019

Meg and her husband own a party planning business. They love each other and they care for each other, so why is it that one day leaves Oliver? And when Meg's mother Sally hears about it, she makes a decision of her own - she always put her family, and first of all, husband first but now feels it time to think about herself. Will mother and daughter be able to save their marriages? Do they want to save their marriages?

I could get into the story but I also couldn't get into it, hope you'r
Rachel Gilbey
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a really enjoyable story.

Before I get into anything just have to say I loved every mention of Laurel and Hardy, they weren't in it anywhere near enough for my liking, but I just wanted to cuddle both of them. Strangely I find you just don't get pet bunnies in the books that I read that often, so always good to have a cute animal present.

Equally you don't often have bother mother and daughter announcing the break up of their respective marriages on the same day, in the run up to Christmas.
Kim
Nov 06, 2019 rated it did not like it
I think this book could have been better if the dialogue was more ... natural. This is a peeve of mine in cozy romantic reads. I just can't stand the folks in a relationship constantly addressing each other so formally. No one in a romantic relationship ends each sentence or statement with their partner's name such as:

"I'd love an egg Meg"
"I'm just going to the bathroom Meg"
"It was hard to tell you about my secret Meg"
"This couch is uncomfortable Meg"

How about at least trying some informal dial
Emma Star Crossed Reviews
This review was originally posted on Star Crossed Reviews I received this book for free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Thank you to Bookouture for my copy of this book via Netgalley and for letting me take part in this tour. Last Christmas I read Karen King's Snowy Nights at the Lonely Hearts Hotel and I loved it so I knew I had to read this book when I first heard about it.

Meg and Oliver have split up. Th
Cat Kelley
Oct 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I was depressed all the way through this book....clear through to the end where everyone got their HEA.

The story was extremely well written even if it was subject matter I didn't want. It was true life and tragic. It was a very mature approach to an age-old story. It was well written.

While I can't say it was an enjoyable read, I can say it was a good story with the ending as it should have been.

This book was gifted to me by the author and NetGalley for an honest review.
Amanda in Ozerland
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately this one was a bit disappointing for me. Most of the book is spent with Meg (daughter) and Sally (mom) each reflecting on their relationships with their spouses and what had gone wrong. Nothing really happens. And while this book is sent around the Christmas holiday it definitely doesn’t give off cozy holiday vibes. The story was just slow and anticlimactic. And then while I love a happy ending in a story I don’t like when they are tied neatly in a bow and this definitely was.
Deanna Walker
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
absolutely loved this book! It’s my favourite of this book...How they turned out great! Meg’s parents wants a new things as they’re split up just after Christmas..Glad that he’s okay...

Can’t wait to read this book from this author soon...

Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy....
Ruth
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anthony
Dec 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Karen King (2019) SINGLE ALL THE WAY
London. Bookouture

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 out of 5 stars

The sleeve reads, "Single together for the first time, 34-year-old Meg and her warm-hearted mother Sally decide to cancel Christmas, and run away to a tiny cottage on the Cornish coast. For Meg, it is the perfect place to heal, away from all the mistletoe, while for her mother it has a special, and secret, place in her heart – from a love story that seems a lifetime ago… Meg and Sally find they’re getting to know themsel
Lorraine
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The cover of Single All the Way looks as if it will be a light, fluffy read without depth – nothing could be further than the truth as the novel deals with some difficult situations. This is not to say it doesn’t have warmth, wit and festive cheer. It certainly does, but this is shown as background to the emotional trauma a mother and daughter are dealing with. Exactly as we have to do in real life!

With their respective marriages in trouble, Sally (the mother) and Meg (the daughter) spend Christ
Amanda
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have had the pleasure of reading and reviewing a few of Karen’s books now. Each one I have read, I have thoroughly enjoyed. I read the synopsis for ‘Single All The Way’ (nice play on a Christmas carol) and it certainly sounded like the refreshing kind of read that I needed at that moment in time. As soon as I could grab hold of a copy, I started reading straightaway. I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘Single All The Way’ but more about that in a bit.
I took to both Sally and Meg from the first momen
Gaele
Meg and Olly have a wonderful relationship, a solid marriage and are very much in love. The only thing missing is a baby, something that Meg has been planning on for years. But Olly is not so sure: his childhood was a tumultuous one, and he’s frightened about the commitment. When he tells Meg, after all their years together that he’s not wanting kids, she’s upset and devastated – believing that he’s lied to her for years and time is running out. Meanwhile, Meg’s parents Sally and Ted have been m ...more
Madeleine McGowan
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
loopyloulaura
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Meg discovers her husband Oliver does not want children and is devastated by his choice but also by the fact he kept it a secret: she almost feels likes he tricked her into marriage by claiming to want kids too.
She leaves him just before Christmas and when she phones her mum to let her know, Sally informs her that she has left her dad Ted after nearly 40 years of marriage. The spark has gone and Sally is desperately unhappy.
The two women head to Cornwall where Sally and Ted spent their honeymoon
Sharon
When Meg and her mother, Sally both leave their husbands just before Christmas, they end up running away to a cottage on the Cornish Coast. With time on their hands they are not just able to think about their respective relationships but get to know their fellow villagers and join in the Christmas celebrations. Whilst there, will the two women decide what their futures hold for them…?

Don’t be fooled into thinking this is a cosy, fun festive read!! It is based initially around Christmas, but it’s
Living My Best Book Life
Single All the Way is a holiday romance all about relationships. Meg and her mother Sally have just made the decision to leave their significant others right before Christmas. They go to a cottage to reflect on their relationships and have to decide if their relationship is worth fighting for.

I love when an author gives us the perspective from more than one point of view. In this book, there are four different perspectives. In this case, it made the story more honest and vulnerable.

Meg owns a pa
Micha Sevier
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Mother and Daughter Sally and Meg both split up with their husbands just before Christmas. They spend Christmas together in a cosy costal village in Cornwall where they bond, meet new friends and do a lot of soul-searching.

The narrative is mostly split between Sally and Meg’s perspectives with a glimpse at their husbands Ted and Oliver. I liked both Sally and Megs’ characters, their husbands not so much. The emotions and heart-break of failing marriages seemed realistic and I really felt for th
Sherry
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
***I received an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to NetGalley, Karen King and Bookouture.***

Single All the Way, by Karen King, is a story about the breakdown of 2 marriages. Meg leaves her husband after she finds out a devastating secret. At the same time, she finds out her mother, Sally, is leaving her dad. The 2 get a cottage together to figure out how they feel and whether or not they can salvage their relationships.

I wish I could say I enjoyed this bo
msartemysia
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was kindly provided an ARC of this book by the publisher on NetGalley

Just to get it out of the way: I did not like this book. The writing is okay-ish, but the character development sounded completely off to me and I cannot deal with rushed plots. It's surely is me, because this is potentially a lovely book, but it did not work for me.

The premise is quite simple: Meg and her mother, Sally, are both leaving their husbands at the same time, just before Christmas. Though you learn it a bit later

• Christmas for Beginners
  • The Garden on Sparrow Street
  • I'll Be Home for Christmas
  • A Perfect Cornish Christmas
  • Christmas Every Day
  • Four Christmases and a Secret: A heartwarming Christmas romantic comedy from the USA Today bestseller
  • Hunter's Force (The Edinburgh Crime Mysteries #3)
  • Closer Than Blood (Gareth Bell Thriller #2)
  • A Surprise Christmas Wedding
  • Keeper of Secrets
  • A Cosy Christmas in Cornwall
  • Left For Dead (Morecambe Bay Trilogy, #1)
  • A Christmas Wish and a Cranberry Kiss at the Cosy Kettle (Cosy Kettle, #3)
  • The Last Day of Winter (A Winter Day Book, #3)
  • One Week 'Til Christmas
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • Silent Money
  • Snowflakes at Mistletoe Cottage
Karen King is a multi-published bestselling author of fiction for both adults and children. She has also written several short stories for women's magazines.

Currently published by Bookouture and Headline. Karen has recently signed a two-book deal with Bookouture to write psychological thrillers. The first one, The Stranger in My Bed, will be out in November, and the second one in 2021. She is also

News & Interviews