Start by marking “Against the Tide (The Council Wars, #3)” as Want to Read:
Against the Tide (The Council Wars, #3)

Against the Tide

(The Council Wars #3)

Published April 1st 2006 by Baen (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Against the Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Tide

Start your review of Against the Tide (The Council Wars, #3)
Ron Davis
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: milfic
Don't judge a book by its cover. While that angel-like character is in the book, she's almost non-important to the plot.

We get a look behind enemy lines in this one, complete with overtones of Ringo's BSDM themes. We also find out a lot more about what it takes to be a council member.

The books is almost worth reading just for the great Navy Seals joke.
Tom
Dec 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
3rd in series, start with "There Will Be Dragons". Military sci-fi crossed with fantasy. Really good.

Check out scene where Navy Seals deploy on a beach to extract a spy (but they are real sentient seals!).
Courtney
May 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Don't let the cover fool you, this new character is only a small part of the story line, although she is important. The story follows the same lines as the first two with the plot of the book centering around one battle. I enjoyed it and looked forward to the next installment.
Briana
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
More military fantasy goodness. Now they do naval battles. The characters continue to develop in predictable (and unpredictable) ways.
Barbara Ghylin
What a wild ride!! I wasn't quite ready for this one to be done. I guess that means that I have to buy the next one so I can find out what happens.
Craig
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd like to start by saying, generally I really liked this book. It was a fun read and the loss of technology premise is one I enjoy.

That said... Ringo, while a good story teller, is a fairly weak writer. He does the same thing in this series that he does in many others. He introduces a character, tells us they're super badass at X... and then for the rest of the story shows them being BARELY competent at the thing they were supposedly an expert at. Travante(Joel) is an especially extreme exampl
Al Lock
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Book 1 was good. Book 2 was better. Book 3 is really getting its stride. And a bunch of the stuff that readers complained about in Book 1 is coming into context. This book will read a lot better if the reader is a student of military history - a lot of references. Oh, and the Celts (called the Gael) are in the mix. Great book.
Phil Kozel
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very fun series, if you are not looking for something serious! Interesting characters, if a little black and white, and great military action as you would expect from Ringo. Loved the evolving strategy of dragon carriers!
PCress
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think this is a very interesting and unexpected turn for a Ringo series.
Christie Saayman
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good episode in the series, looking forward to the next book.
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
Product Description

In the distant future, the world was a paradise-and then, in a moment, it was ended by the first war in centuries. People who had known godlike power, to whom hunger and pain were completely unknown, desperately scrabbled to survive. As the United Free States, the bastion of freedom and center of opposition to the tyrants of New Destiny, prepared for the long-feared invasion by the Changed legions of Ropasa, Edmund Talbot realized that bureaucratic ineptitude and overc

Samuel Jones
Mar 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finally, the invasion begins! After half a million words comprising the first two books (which are both well worth reading for their own sake), Ringo's post-Fall World is ready to stage a major war.

As ever with Ringo, there's a good solid chunk of story dedicated to the real logistics of waging war at sea.

There is also a raft of interesting new characters and developments in the over-arching plot... However it's here that the book hits a snag. I'm a lover of flawed masterpieces, and here the Co
Jo
Nov 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Lydia Pallas, orphaned and deserted at Boston Harbor, has a vast knowledge of languages because her father traveled the high seas with his little family. After leaving the orphanage, she becomes a translator for the U.S. Navy, making Boston her home. Upon first meeting Alexander Banebridge, she is suspicious of him, then becomes awed and enamored of him. She agrees to be his translator and later learns that he is relentlessly fighting to end the opium trade. They both experience feelings for the ...more
Andreas
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Book three in the series is a dramatic improvement from the disappointing Emerald Sea. Ringo takes us back to the main action of the war, where a battle for control of the Atlantic (ahem, “Atlantis”) is brewing. The UFS Navy is in terrible shape, so the Queen sends Edmund (with Herzer in tow) to take over and sort it out before New Destiny tries to invade.

Good, clean fun in other words. Plenty of action, laughs and horrible puns. For example the SEAL team is made up of humans changed into seal-f
Kjirstin
Nov 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I liked this installment of the series... it's a little broader in scope than the second book, while still acknowledging the long-term nature of the ongoing conflict. We spend more time with the Navy of the new UFS, as Duke Edmund has to go in and clean house after a group of yacht club officer wannabees royally mess things up. As usual, lots of rousing action, and we get to spend time "behind enemy lines" with Megan Travante, seeing what is happening with the bad guys. Quite enjoyable, although ...more
Ladyonuk
I actually liked it better than Emerald Sea, and it has surprised me enough to want to read the next installment.
This time Herzer became less annoying and some "new" characters got to be quite interesting in the end.

Although sometimes the military setting becomes too much in his past books, I had a better time with the descriptions than in past books (may it be because it is better written or I just got used to his style, I really do not know).

Over all I would read again this book out of the 3 I
Kevin Brown
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-ficition
This book starts off with our heroes loosing a battle in a major way. Followed up with an in depth examination of the problems they have, how they came to be and how they fix them. We get to see the building of a navy from the shattered remains of the old navy all under a time crunch as the enemy prepares to make a major push for invasion. This provides great tension and they characters are well rounded enough that victory never seems a sure thing which only enhances the experience.
Richard Gibbs
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
After the very slow progress make in book two, things happen in this book, which is good, though there did seem to be a few random characters thrown in there to make this happen. The characters also seem to be turning more two dimensional than actually evolving but then I presume this is because the story is taking precedence over character development. Perhaps this series will end with the next book?
Cheryl
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: room-living, na-w
If you're not a fan of military Sy-Fy this book is maybe not for you, but if you enjoy history and action packed surprises buy, borrow, or steal a copy of this book. Like the rest of the series this is a fast moving action book with some great characters who are blessed with both physical and mental ability including a huge compendium of historical and militaristic knowledge with some espionage and humor thrown in for good measure.
Scander
Aug 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
While slightly better than the last book, this book still suffers from the authors over-use of militarism and inconsistent character writing.

The prose starts to feel worn out, and while I still think the author has a great concept here, he only produced an OK series. He is unable to sustain the cool ideas and development that I enjoyed in the first book of the series.

I probably won't read the 4th book in the series.
Heidi
Apr 01, 2011 rated it liked it
"This series is an imaginative page-turner marred by some not-even-thinly-veiled politics and a weirdly adolescent take on sex. Nevertheless, Ringo has a great grasp on military techniques, culture, and history that makes me forgive him. I still think men would probably enjoy this more than I did, since they wouldn't have to keep overlooking his, I have to say, offensiveness."
Bryan457
Science so advanced it might as well be magic, then it all comes crashing down, and people have to learn to do things the old fashioned way again, while fending off the bad guys.
I love this series, please write more of them.
caela
Apr 06, 2007 marked it as to-read
I think I read this already, but really have no memory of it. So I'm going to reread it someday.
Alycia
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Keeping the story alive in more books, learning more about other characters....can't wait to finish the last book and see what happens!!!! May need to look into his other books....
Child960801
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
I like this series a lot.
LadyCroft86
Oct 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Another entertaining story in the series. I'm sad that Herzer didn't end up with Rachel but oh well. I am curious to see how the series ends.
Keith Bell
Mar 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Amazing imaginative story telling in this Military Sci-Fi addition to The Council War series.
Comobu1
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
this is a very good series interesting concept kind of like that new television show where the power goes...
Ralph McEwen
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
A good addition to a good series. I will definitely read the next book
Sandra
Mar 30, 2013 added it
Husband said he'd not read it again, so off it goes to someone else. He reads faster than I do and I trust his judgement.

• Beneath the Twisted Trees (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #4)
  • Brave Story
  • An Affinity for Steel: The Aeon's Gate Omnibus
  • The First Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1)
  • The Third Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #3)
  • The Veils of Azlaroc
  • The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2)
  • The Complete Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #1-3)
  • Enter the Janitor (The Cleaners, #1)
  • War Maid's Choice (War God, #4)
  • Son of the Black Sword (Saga of the Forgotten Warrior, #1)
  • Tall, Dark, and Texan (Whispering Mountain, #3)
  • To Wed in Texas (McLain #3)
  • March to the Sea (Empire of Man, #2)
  • Twilight in Texas (McLain #4)
  • The Texan's Touch (McLain, #1)
  • #1 in Customer Service The Complete Adventures of Tom Stranger (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #3)
  • See You at the Bar (Harry Gilmour, #5)
John Ringo is a prolific author who has written in a wide variety of genres. His early life included a great deal of travel. He visited 23 foreign countries, and attended fourteen different schools. After graduation Ringo enlisted in the US military for four years, after which he studied marine biology.

In 1999 he wrote and published his first novel "A Hymn Before Battle", which proved successful.

The Council Wars (4 books)
  • There Will Be Dragons (The Council Wars, #1)
  • Emerald Sea (The Council Wars, #2)
  • East of the Sun, West of the Moon (The Council Wars, #4)