Start by marking “East of the Sun, West of the Moon (The Council Wars, #4)” as Want to Read:
East of the Sun, West of the Moon (The Council Wars, #4)

East of the Sun, West of the Moon

(The Council Wars #4)

When the council that controlled the world spanning computer Mother fell out in civil war, it plunged the world in an instant from high-tech utopia to medieval nightmare. Now Herzer Herrick and Megan Trevante have been assigned the mission to capture the spaceship that supplies the fuel for the whole world. Given that Herzer vaguely thinks orbital decay is something having ...more
Published May 1st 2006 by Baen (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about East of the Sun, West of the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about East of the Sun, West of the Moon

Start your review of East of the Sun, West of the Moon (The Council Wars, #4)
Lou
Jan 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
I don't know if I'm ever going to pick this up again. I got so annoyed with it. If it'd been a paperback instead of in ebook format, I'd probably have thrown it clear across the room...

(Also, apparently there aren't any elves. Bah.)
Samuel Jones
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Oh cool, Space Orcs!

Or so I thought.

This is, sadly, the least fulfilling of the Council Wars series.

Orcs. In Space. Space Orcs. What could possibly go wrong?

Well, the shuttle launch, naturally.

In a world where the technology does indeed exist to teleport our heroes to the orbital re-fuelling ship that powers the generators allowing the Key Holders to wage their hi-tech "Wizard War" devastating a former utopia, Ringo opts to launch his gallant commando team by shuttle.

Here, Ringo's penchant for
Christina Brummett
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book feels like a phoned in fanfiction for the rest of the series. While I don't agree with the author's political/sociological points entirely, at least his descriptions of society and his justifications, however wrong, were interesting in the other three books. This one, however, is nothing but a long slog through training for and fighting a battle in space. The ending(view spoiler) ...more
Courtney
May 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Although this book all but centers around Herzer and his assignment I think this is my favorite of the 4 books. I really missed the "main" cast of characters that the past 3 books centered on and the sudden change made it more difficult for me to really get into the story. Once I did though I couldn't put it down. The mission seems to go wrong at every possible moment and the team really has to think on its feet. Some of the minor characters from the past books did come together in this one and ...more
Micah
Apr 30, 2008 rated it liked it
In both of the other books I've read by Ringo, he quotes the adage, "No plan survives contact with the enemy." Annoyingly, all of the battle plans in the other books proceed to go off without a hitch. In this book, rather than simply telling us that no plans go as they're meant to, he actually shows the plans going awry, and forces the characters to display on-the-fly ingenuity. It's much more satisfying.
Jan
Major Herzer Herrick is back. Less sure of his role since the first book, he is now the fiance' of the key holder, Countess Megan Samantha Travante. What is his role as the side kick?

However, a major mission to seize the fuel needed to run Earth's power grid becomes a mission Herzer and Megan both need to be on.

The characters do not seem as rich a novel even though it takes 408 pages to complete the mission.
Ron Davis
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: milfic
The most sci-fi of the bunch. Imagine Space Cadet with swords and orcs.

Not the best of the series, but still solid. Ringo also shows his male character actually have heart and understand the difference between love an sex.

My big problem with this book was it didn't have any elves in it. I expected it given how the elf plot ended in the last book. Hopefully we'll see more in the future.
Carena Wood beimler
When the book series started it was so amazing. And it just slid into unremarkable. However, I will keep reading. They've not shaken me off the series yet.
Al Lock
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Not quite as good as book 3, but still fun.
Well, we've had ground battles and sea battles, so let's top it all off with a space battle. Somehow, I think John Ringo had a bit of a talk with an 18C before figuring out the battle plan. Fun read.
PCress
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
An appropriate end to a very creative series.
Pauline Chamberlain
Jan 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Another good sci fi book, will have to try and read some more of his stuff
David Andelin
This series is good, but the plot seems to have gone astray in the end as the author seemed to have want to finish over wanting to provide a quality conclusion.
Phil Kozel
A pretty good end to the series. 3.5 stars.
Jim
Mar 02, 2014 rated it liked it
From Booklist

The possible conclusion to the postholocaust series The Council War is a rouser in Ringo's best manner. The New Dynasty warlords are bringing in a shipload of fuel that could give them a vital edge; their opponents have planned to hijack it. Unfortunately, the first Team Icarus has been destroyed, and Herzer Herrick and Megan Travante have to improvise a new one. The sequences in which the new team trains show Ringo's military background, and since many of the new recruits a

Heidi
"Fourth in the series (and currently last, though the ending implies another installment), this installment was fun and fast-moving. Ringo specializes in military scifi, and he has the military part down pat. His interpersonal relationships are really poorly drawn (and ridiculous, and sometimes downright offensive) but he makes up for it with his depth of understanding about how the military operates, even when battling orcs in space. I wish there had been either a clearer description of the shi ...more
Nix Gerit
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Council wars is a good saga with some cool ideas. I liked that the author concentrated on various aspects of war throughout the books and how creative he was about that.
I'd say some of the more interesting characters, e.g. Joie or Daneh's son, deserve way more attention and it's a waste that they didn't get more screentime. I also found the relationship of Megan and Herzer kind of strange - it seems to be so deep yet there isn't exactly a lot of description or hints of things and bonding that co
Andreas
Sep 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Book four is about a showdown of sorts, as both sides jockey for control of a ship full of fuel coming in from the outer solar system. The fuel is destined for the reactors powering the council’s interests. As usual, Herzer is in the thick of it. And oh yeah, there are orcs in space, but nothing much is really made of that.

This may be the last book, but the conclusion isn’t unambiguous. The story is rather simplistic. While Ringo is always entertaining, the epic dimension is missing. If you like
Josh
Mar 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-sci-fi
Hard book to classify: there are strong fantasy elements on this series (mermaids, elves, orcs, swords, etc.), but at the same time everything operates from a theoretical scientific base. I'm dropping it into military sci-fi because the tactical elements are so critical here. Ringo is a lot like David Weber (whom he's written books with) in describing battle scenes down to the unit tactics level with exhaustive detail.

This is volume 4 in the Council Wars series, and it doesn't look like the end
Kjirstin
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: future, sci-fi, military, space
Hmmm. I enjoyed this, again, but had a little trouble getting into it. For some reason I had trouble picturing the action that was being described, and that made it harder to be fully immersed in the story. I do hope that the remaining books in this series, whenever they come into existence, will stay mostly on the surface of the Earth and follow what's happening in the new civilization more closely.

But that aside, this is a rollicking adventure aboard a spaceship with giant spiders and orcs and
Cheryl
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: room-living, na-w
The refueling ship is finally on its way, but the only way to guarantee the New Destiny Forces will not be in control of the HE3 is to control the ship and all the fuel supplies for the power plants. The UFS has a plan for that, but as every good military strategist knows, no plans survive contact with the enemy! Who's going to be the best person to take over with a good go to hell plan? Whatever it is you'd better believe Herzer will have a big part in it!
Tim
Mar 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Rather annoyingly, I finished this six-year-old book to discover that it is NOT the end of the series, and Ringo is undecided about whether to finish it or not (poor sales, apparently).

It's a decent yarn and the action is good, although by this 4th book I'd become slightly weary of the amateur psychology lessons.
Ralph McEwen
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Definetly a continuation of the series and I recommend reading the previous books before getting into this one. Preprations for getting into space with the limited technology available was interesting. There are some interesting space battle scenes. The ending left me feeling that there should be another book to finish the story, but since it's been 6 years I doubt there will be one.
Ladyonuk
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not as good as last book, and certainly it will be a loooooong time before I want to read this again.
Of all the books of the Council Wars this is just slighty better than the first.

Leaves open several plot lines from past books and adds a few more.

Bryan457
Science so advanced it might as well be magic, then it all comes crashing down, and people have to learn to do things the old fashioned way again, while fending off the bad guys.
Orcs in a space battle to capture an incoming fuel tanker.
I love this series, please write more of them.
LadyCroft86
Oct 07, 2011 rated it liked it
This book wasn't nearly as good as the others. I didn't feel like anything got resolved in the story. I was disappointed that Bast wasn't in this story too. Emerald Sea is by far the best book in the series.
Johnny Bennett
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the best in the series so far. The battle scenes are a little harder to follow in this book and the humor is generally as crass as previous books. Herzer continues to be as unbelievable a character as ever.
Kevin Brown
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-ficition
We start this book off with a look at politics and how it really works then finish with a battle. More of this book is spent with the characters outside of their main job which is really good. This book feels like the turning point in a very long war.
Tom
Jan 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
4th in the series of a future after the fall of a tenchological utopia.
Todd O'bryan
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
The series just seemed to degrade from book to book for me.
Greg
Another good book in the series. I hope there's more to come...

• Space Pioneers
  • Dragon's Honor (Star Trek: The Next Generation, #38)
  • March to the Sea (Empire of Man, #2)
  • Power Surge (Jake Ross, #2)
  • March Upcountry (Empire of Man, #1)
  • From the Ashes: An Alternate History Novel
  • The Rats, the Bats & the Ugly  (The Rats and the Bats, #2)
  • Dark Watch (Oregon Files, #3)
  • We Few (Empire of Man, #4)
  • Phule's Paradise (Phule's Company, #2)
  • The War God's Own (War God, #2)
  • Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)
  • Oath of Swords (War God, #1)
  • Wind Rider's Oath (War God, #3)
  • The Tiger’s Wrath (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer #5)
  • War Maid's Choice (War God, #4)
  • Far Country
  • Welcome To The Wolfpack
John Ringo is a prolific author who has written in a wide variety of genres. His early life included a great deal of travel. He visited 23 foreign countries, and attended fourteen different schools. After graduation Ringo enlisted in the US military for four years, after which he studied marine biology.

In 1999 he wrote and published his first novel "A Hymn Before Battle", which proved successful.

The Council Wars (4 books)
  • There Will Be Dragons (The Council Wars, #1)
  • Emerald Sea (The Council Wars, #2)
  • Against the Tide (The Council Wars, #3)