Start by marking “From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)” as Want to Read:
From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)

From Blood and Ash

(Blood and Ash #1)

4.30  ·  Rating details ·  148,890 ratings  ·  17,606 reviews
A Maiden…

Chosen from birth to usher in a new era, Poppy’s life has never been her own. The life of the Maiden is solitary. Never to be touched. Never to be looked upon. Never to be spoken to. Never to experience pleasure. Waiting for the day of her Ascension, she would rather be with the guards, fighting back the evil that took her family, than preparing to be found worthy
Published March 30th 2020 by Blue Box Press (first published March 29th 2020)
Featured Notes & Highlights

Win a Copy of This Book

• From Blood and Ash by Jennifer L. Armentrout
    From Blood and Ash (Blood And Ash, #1)

Release date: Mar 29, 2020
    Enter to win a copy of the first book in the Blood and Ash series that started the phenomena by NYT bestseller, Jennifer L. Armentrout!

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 16720 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Aug 01 - Aug 31, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

·  148,890 ratings  ·  17,606 reviews

Start your review of From Blood and Ash (Blood and Ash, #1)
    Sofia
    I present to you: a tale of questionable consent, bAd BoYs with amber eyes, and foreshadowing so terrible I predicted every plot twist.

Otherwise known as From Mud and Trash.

This book was so bad that I made a whole photo album for the screenshots of “excuse me?” moments. There are 122 photos in total. *faith in literature flies out the window*

From Blood and Ash follows the Maiden, a girl named Poppy who is fated to Ascend soon. She isn’t allowed to speak to or touch anyone but a select few. Bu
    Sapir Englard
    Apr 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
    EDIT 12/11/020:

So Goodreads book choice award (is that what it's called?) has concluded and guess which book took first place in the romance category?

...Imma go ask Santa for a new book-shelving website.

*****

This review contains spoilers. Just saying.

Rating: 1.5 stars.

There should be a new adult fantasy genre called Maas Fantasy, after Sarah J Maas. That genre would be full of pretty people, non original world building, out-of-genre writing that can be either really bad or even worse, love inter
    jessica
    Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    living in these crazy times, i was pretty certain nothing could surprise me anymore. but then JLA pulls a beyoncé and just drops this book out of nowhere, as if it were a gift delivered from the book gods themselves.

and this story is truly a gift that keeps on giving. there is a strong, fierce heroine and her swoon-worthy personal guard, which leads to some pretty smouldering romance. but love isnt the only emotion - this story is overflowing with bravery, suspense, loyalty, curiosity, vengeanc
    Regan
    Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This book got WILD lol
    • Lindsey Dahling •
    May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Holy shit. I almost DNF this at 16%. I was bored. There were info dumps everywhere. The narrator was blah. The plot wasn’t moving. Goodness, even the TIME IN THE BOOK wasn’t moving. Pretty sure at 16% not even 24 hours had passed in this book world. I told myself I would jump ship if this did not improve by the 20% mark.

Damn did it improve. I’ve never been so glad I didn’t jump ship. (Okay, that’s a lie. I was also really glad I didn’t jump ship during season 5 of The Vampire Diaries.)

Suddenly..
    She-who-must-not-be-named  (exams)
    Edit : Goodreads choice awards- Best Romance- 2020
    So well deserved!

Five addictive, mesmerizing, heart-rending, sexy, adrenaline-inducing stars right away!

Ever had the feeling of numbness, the feeling of having your heart break and then remade, and the feeling of intensity flooding your body cells? Yeah, that was me, during and after reading this book.

There is action and violence, passion and romance, friendship and betrayal. It is the tale about a world where anguish leaves no room for lig
    marta the book slayer
    Dec 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
    Recommends it for: anyone that wants to torture themselves
    Recommended to marta the book slayer by: idk but you should be fired
    Greetings students. Welcome to Writing 101: How to write the worst novel ever written in 2020 (and still WIN a Goodreads award). This is my first time teaching this class but rest assured my qualifications include: understanding the proper use of ellipses and knowing ten different names that sound better than Penellaphe. Please take out your syllabus. As you will see our assigned and only reading for this class is this novel. It is expected that you have read this novel before attending my class ...more
    chan ☆
    Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it
    i went from thinking i had doo doo brains at the beginning of this convoluted mess to being

galaxy brained from 50%-the end of this

make of that what you will.

__________________________

finally trying fantasy romance
    Arini ~ Miss Casually Reading
    Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it

3.5 Stars

I hope this author never stops writing about all manner of supernatural beings bcs I’ve always had a craving for paranormal romances and she never disappoints. Even on the occasion when my rating might suggest otherwise.

Coming out with a fresh from the oven NA high fantasy series, JLA surprises us with this alluring and action packed tale of fallen kingdoms on the rise, cursed bloodthirsty creatures, reluctant maidens, and steamy forbidden love affairs.

Things you will love in this bo
    Melanie

"From this moment until the last moment, I am yours."

At the end of 2020, I kept seeing this book all over book social media and it was being loved by such a vast range of bookish friends. And then it was the goodreads choice awards 2020 best romance winner! Up until this point, I had never really read anything by Jennifer L. Armentrout, but my curiosity was so very peaked! Then once I entered 2021, I still felt like I could not escape the hype of this series! Finally, I r
    Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
    3 Kinda Bummed Stars

Okay...so, a couple things before we get started.

1) I'm not in a reviewing mood, but wanted to get something down before I completely forget and then lose all interest. So, I apologize beforehand for the lack of quality I'm sure is about to follow...

2) Don't throw figurative tomatoes at me for not loving this more. I'm not in the mood for that shit either. And I promise any responses to said tomatoes will not be...diplomatic.

But anyway, this book...

I feel like Jennifer L. Ar
    ale ♡
    Feb 02, 2021 rated it did not like it
    Recommends it for: No one. Save your last braincell.
    0.5 stars.

IT'S FINALLY HERE, LADIES AND GENTLEMAN. THE REVIEW THAT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR.
    *insert dramatic music from an American comedy show*.

I just finished this book, drank 2 cups of coffee and finished to translate this from Spanish to English, lol. I'm not ok.

Notes:
    1. If you're here to make any offensive and hateful comments about my review, I advise you not to even spend your time, because I doubt I'll be friendly when it comes to responding.

2. If you haven't read the book and don't want
    Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

DNF @ 13%

I'm honestly flummoxed by the ratings of this book. How can DAMSEL, one of the best YA fantasies I've read recently, have a 3.4 rating on Goodreads, and this self-indulgent vampire AU version of ACoTaR has a 4.4? Like... I literally have no words. This is why I have trust issues, you guys. You have led me astray from the path of light.

FROM BLOOD AND ASH was all over my feed and even though I haven't been impressed with Armentrou
    Laura Thalassa
    May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: favorites
    This book is officially my new obsession! I need you all to read it too so that we can all gush about it! Seriously, I haven't felt this way about a book since Holly Black's Folk of the Air series, and I'm having trouble concentrating on writing because I can't get this book and the characters out of my head! Putting this baby on my "Favorites" shelf! <3 ...more
    ☆Pelumi☆ (On major hiatus)
    THIS BOOK IS TWILIGHT ON WEED-Bumble 2020

" From Blood and Ash

We Shall Rise."

I-
    🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

“You're an absolutely stunning, murderous little creature.”
    🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

EDIT: I just realised that the only WoC in this book, Tawny, was named after the very color of her skin. I must say JLA did not fail in the creativity aspect of this book.
    🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

EDIT 2: Kiera, another PoC in this book was also named after his skin colour so you know what??
    I'm just going to change my name to Brown just
    ELLIAS (elliasreads)
    Feb 27, 2021 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: 2021-books
    The way I lost ALL MY FUCKING BRAIN CELLS READING THIS BOOK!!!.

The fact that this was over 600 pages, the fact that this book has an average rating of (at the time of this review, a 4.36, that fact that IM— excuse me while I go and vomit all the angst and cringe out of me.

....This book won the Gooodreads Choice Awards for the category of rOmAnCE??!!!!!!1!!!!!11111!! That was a c h o i c e .

SOMEONE EXPLAIN?!!!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!! I AM CONFUSION.

This was like reading a badly written fan fiction c
    Maryam Rz.
    Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: seekers of good enemies to lovers
    (4.5 ★’s)

“You’re such a bad influence,”
    “Only the bad can be influenced, Princess.”

That might make no sense to you but it makes perfect sense to me and to Hawke who might just be my very first book crush—how is that possible someone mark the date because hell has frozen over.

This was my very first book by JLA and I will willingly climb over your rooftop to shout at the top of my lungs and declare her an excellent writer for all and any of your neighbours to hear. Why? Because From Blood and A
    Lucy Tonks
    Nov 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
    Yes, I did in fact managed to finish this whole book. All 600 pages of it. And I can say that it was.. something. Definitely.

I don't understand how a book can be so bad. I went into this book with pretty low expectations because of all the mixed reviews that I've seen online, but somehow I'm still disappointed. I don't think I've ever cringed so much while reading a book. I'm not sure I have actually ever cringed while reading a book. Now I understand why Sofia calls this From Mud and Trash. I'
    TheBibliotheque ♡
    "You're an absolutely stunning, murderous, little creature."

YO. YOOOO. I have been keeping quiet about this book FOR A MONTH and all this contained fangirling energy almost makes me implode.

description

I know you know me and my neverending and neverdying love for Jen's books. So imagine the array of emotions that passed through my body when I was given the chance to read her upcoming novel early (elation, HAPPINESS, joy) but I was asked not to speak a word of it (contained fangirling, frustration, yearning)
    Chelsea Humphrey
    "The next time you go out, wear better shoes and thicker clothing. Those slippers are likely to be the death of you, and that dress... the death of me."

description

I have no desire to cause a stink or debate on this book's worthiness of being read, because when it comes down to it, the issues I had with this book were all based in personal preference, and everyone has a right to their opinion of this book, myself as well as fans of this series. Typically, when I pick up a fantasy novel I'm looking for one o
    Jessica
    WHY DID I NOT LISTEN TO EVERYONE WHO TOLD ME HOW AMAZING THIS BOOK WAS!?!? I've had this book since March and have been putting off reading it because it's over 500 pages. But I finally picked it up for a vlog and it is easily one of my new favorite books of 2020.

Poppy is a Maiden and is following orders and waiting for until the time for her Ascension. That means that she stays in her room, cannot show her face to anyone, cannot be friends with anyone, and must follow the orders of the Duke an
    Nashita
    Buddy read with the amazing hoomans Naomi and Kaz, without whom I would have never survived

I have lost faith in humanity
    Me reading the 5 star review wondering if we read the same book. I mean did i miss a memo or somethin?
    I had very low expectations and yet I was disappointed. I went into it looking for a guilty pleasure kind of book, where there isn't much plot but with lots of drama.
    Like the selection. But this is trash. The bad kind
    As my friend said, I like trash but I still have standards

WAR
    human
    This book won "Best Romance" in the Goodreads Choice Awards???

Someone, please explain.

Anyhow, at least now I know not to trust them!

(jkjk everyone's entitled to their own opinions :) I meant no offense.) (please don't flame me for this.)

~~~~~~~~~~~

(1.5/5)

Y'all, I have no words. Seriously. No one is more disappointed or surprised than I am. Just-

Where do I even start???

Going into this, after seeing all the positive reviews and actually reading the synopsis (I don't always submit blindly to th
    Helena Paris
    “Fear and bravery are often one and the same. It either makes you a warrior or a coward. The only difference is the person it resides inside.”

For the record, this is my NINETEENTH Jennifer L. Armentrout novel that I've read and my favourite, thus far!!! (Do I say that with every book of hers I read? Yes, but that doesn’t make it any less true <3) If you had asked me 24 hours ago what my favourite JLA series was, I’d have immediately answered with the Covenant series because hello! greek mytholog
    Lucie V.
    May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: favorites, fantasy
    “With my sword and with my life, I vow to keep you safe, Penellaphe,” he spoke, voice deep and smooth, reminding me of rich, decadent chocolate. “From this moment until the last moment, I am yours.”

✅ Strong badass main character
    ✅ Awesome love interest
    ✅ Sweet romance
    ✅ Funny banter
    ✅ Action
    ✅ Original way to present vampires
    ❗️❗️ Kind of cliffhanger

Oh. My. God.
    So much drama, so much angst, so worth it.
    😍😍😍

Poppy escaped a brutal attack when she was a little girl, mysteriously survi
    Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
    There were some things I didn’t like but I love Poppy and her spunk and characters both alive and dead 😕

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Jan 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Wow! Just a big, bold WOW! I’m actually screaming: WOWZA!

Okay! Quick confession: this book started with frustration. I just grumbled a lot. I found the name choices a little awkward, weird , absurd, you name it. If you had a chance I certainly changed the heroine’s name: Pennallappe, really!??( even writing her name exhausted me) and I tried to pronounce it as I look in the mirror, twisting my mouth but as you may imagine I made several Gibberish sounds. It was more complex chanting a nursery rh
    Whitney Atkinson
    this book was just badly written at first (aka for 500 smut-less pages), but then it actually became disturbing and upsetting so i had to stop reading the at last 100 pages because i was so angry. this book was just so badly written and i couldn't stand either of the main characters, especially the love interest. ...more

• A ​Court of Silver Flames (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #4)
    • A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)
    • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
    • A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
    • A Court of Frost and Starlight (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3.1)
    • The Bridge Kingdom (The Bridge Kingdom, #1)
    • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
    • A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
    • The Shadows Between Us
    • Heartbreak Prince (Broken Hearts Academy, #1)
    • Wolf Gone Wild  (Stay a Spell, #1)
    • Rise of the Mage (Resurrecting Magic #1)
    • House of Earth and Blood (Crescent City #1)
    • Unknown (Unknown #1)
    • A Touch of Ruin (Hades & Persephone, #2)
    • Rhapsodic (The Bargainer, #1)
    • The Traitor Queen (The Bridge Kingdom, #2)
    See top shelves…

To email me, please use the below addy.
    jenniferlarmentrout@live.com

# 1 New York Times and # 1 International Bestselling author Jennifer lives in Charles Town, West Virginia. All the rumors yo

Blood and Ash (6 books)
    • A Kingdom of Flesh and Fire (Blood and Ash, #2)
    • The ​Crown of Gilded Bones (Blood and Ash, #3)
    • The War of Two Queens (Blood and Ash, #4)
    • Untitled (Blood and Ash, #5)
    • Untitled (Blood and Ash, #6)