Start by marking “Centering in Pottery, Poetry, and the Person” as Want to Read:
Centering in Pottery, Poetry, and the Person

Centering in Pottery, Poetry, and the Person

A flowing collection of poetry that is also a guide for life.
Published May 1st 1989 by Wesleyan University Press (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Centering in Pottery, Poetry, and the Person, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Centering in Pottery, Poetry, and the Person

Start your review of Centering in Pottery, Poetry, and the Person
Amanda Brooke
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Craig Carlson a much loved professor at The Evergreen State College loaned me this book and he was lucky to get it back. Several years after he died in a tragic accident I was in a bookstore looking for something to help me through the grief of having lost a loved one of my own and found the copy he loaned me. I am certain it was the same copy. Either way the book is full of analogies between ceramics and living life.
Eko
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
I didn’t get along with the writing style. There is definitely merit in what Richards attempted to express, her voice just doesn’t jive with my own aesthetic sensibilities.
Angela
Mar 09, 2012 rated it liked it
An interesting philosophical take on two of my favourite things - poetry and pottery. Too bad I didn't have time to give this dense book the attention and thought it deserves - my 3 star rating is probably more of a reflection of my reading it in small bits and pieces rather than finding larger chunks of time to spend with these ideas. ...more
Kathy
Mar 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creativity, own
I’ve had this book on my shelf forever, and finally got around to reading it. I’m glad I waited, actually, as I don’t think I would have understood much of it 30 years ago when I bought it. Very reminiscent of Buddhist thought. The only thing that bugged me was her use of the pronoun “he” for a generic person—I know it was written more than 60 years ago, and normally I’ll just let it slide in older books, but it really bothered me. Maybe because the author was female? I don’t know. But glad I go ...more
Abby
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
one of my favorites- amazingly enriching in offering perspective on centering in the person. Exploring consciousness, creativity, pedagogy, and experience as art. Each sentence had insights that resonated with me in the truth.
Charles
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books I have had in my possession for decades, since the early 1970s when I first read it -- and have returned to it many times, probably not often enough.
XRay RMA
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!

Boy, this book was spectacular. I would definitely recommend it to my friends and family. Really liked it, and the story was awesome.
Mary McCray
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Lots of hippie-speak. I had to skim.
Ruth
Aug 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
The 1963 edition of this book was what I clung to during a difficult period of my life.
Linda Buck
Mar 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
She had me with the explanation of the Latin word "potentia" in the introduction. ...more
Amy
Jan 17, 2012
Mitzie
Jul 12, 2014
Jennie
Jun 12, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: educators, visual artists
Shelves: my-library
much wisdom. this is one i re-read/refer back to frequently.
Bob
Nov 17, 2017
Carrie
Nov 16, 2013
Rachel Sitomer
Jan 13, 2012
Sattva
rated it did not like it
Oct 27, 2016

• A Tree in the House: Flowers for your Home, Special Occasions and Every Day
  • The Most Powerful You: 7 Bravery-Boosting Paths to Career Bliss
  • Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation
  • Small Pleasures
  • Das Kind in dir muss Heimat finden. Der Schlüssel zur Lösung (fast) aller Probleme
  • Aging as a Spiritual Practice: A Contemplative Guide to Growing Older and Wiser
  • The Book of Emma Reyes