Start by marking “Lew Hunter's Screenwriting 434” as Want to Read:
Lew Hunter's Screenwriting 434

Lew Hunter's Screenwriting 434

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  189 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
The conductor of UCLAUs legendary graduate workshop--Screenwriting 434--guides readers through every stage of the screenwriting process by actually having them write an original screenplay. "I heartily recommend (this book) for beginners and pros alike."--Steven Bochco.
Published January 4th 1994 by Perigee Trade (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Lew Hunter's Screenwriting 434, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lew Hunter's Screenwriting 434

Andrew
Aug 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Not quite as helpful as I wished it would be, but still contains some nice tidbits of direction for aspiring screenwriters. Hunter's best advice is to use Aristotle's Poetics and Lajos Ergi's Art of Dramatic Writing as the two Bibles of storytelling. I couldn't agree more.
Jim
Sep 06, 2013 rated it did not like it
self indulgent piffle that almost makes you embarrassed for the author. RE McKee, I think casablanca is a bad example for a screenplay; s. field is smart to use chinatown; do you know what Hunter uses? a script for a afterschool special for tv that he wrote.

again: Lew Hunter's idea of a model screenplay is a script for an afterschool special for TV that was written by Lew Hunter in 1981. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082358/

NFW! Why? Because 1) he is overladen by an enormous sense of self-regard
Karen Marcum
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book ruined movies for me for a long time. Thank goodness I prefer books to movies. I have carefully avoided ever reading a book about how to write a novel. I'm not going to let that get ruined too. ;)
Jenny
Sep 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This might as well be re-published as the Screenwriter's Bible, as that's how much it's revered in LA and the world of screenwriting in general. Great advice. Practical and to the point.
William Torgerson
May 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you want to write a script, this is a great place to start. It will help you plan and execute if you are new to writing.
William
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Classic work by one of the best screenwriting instructors around. I strongly recommend it (or possibly his newer edition).
Aditya
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Of all the hundreds of books on screenwriting, this, along with four screenplays, STORY, The art of dramatic writing and 'Creating unforgettable characters' is one of the best books on the subject.
Ke
Oct 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Unlike most other screenwriting books, this one provides an example of a script that the author authored. That may be helpful to some readers.
Angela Hunt
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My go to writing book, period. When I'm stuck, I pull it down.
Cyd Madsen
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing-craft
A great big teddy bear of a man with passion and compassion for his students and teaching. When I culled my library down to a couple hundred books, this is one of the few I saved.
Patricia Dietz
Aug 14, 2008
Hanka8636
Mar 07, 2016
David
rated it did not like it
Jul 26, 2013
Jun 03, 2012
Vikram Malhotra
Apr 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Screenwriter's Problem Solver: How to Recognize, Identify, and Define Screenwriting Problems
  • How Not to Write a Screenplay: 101 Common Mistakes Most Screenwriters Make
  • Making a Good Script Great
  • Writing Screenplays That Sell: The Complete, Step-By-Step Guide for Writing and Selling to the Movies and TV, from Story Concept to Development Deal
  • The Tools of Screenwriting: A Writer's Guide to the Craft and Elements of a Screenplay
  • The Hollywood Standard: The Complete and Authoritative Guide to Script Format and Style (Hollywood Standard: The Complete & Authoritative Guide to)
  • The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script
  • My Story Can Beat Up Your Story: Ten Ways to Toughen Up Your Screenplay from Opening Hook to Knockout Punch
  • Psychology for Screenwriters
  • 20 Master Plots: And How to Build Them
  • Writing for Emotional Impact: Advanced Dramatic Techniques to Attract, Engage, and Fascinate the Reader from Beginning to End
  • Cinematic Storytelling
  • The Coffee Break Screenwriter: Writing Your Script Ten Minutes at a Time
  • Essentials of Screenwriting: The Art, Craft, and Business of Film and Television Writing
  • The Moral Premise: Harnessing Virtue & Vice for Box Office Success
  • What They Don't Teach You at Film School: 161 Strategies For Making Your Own Movies No Matter What
  • Your Screenplay Sucks!: 100 Ways to Make It Great

$12.99 $1.99
  • Who Gets What — and Why: The New Economics of Matchmaking and Market Design
  • The Card Catalog: Books, Cards, and Literary Treasures
    $19.99 $1.99
  • The Relationship Cure: A 5 Step Guide to Strengthening Your Marriage, Family, and Friendships
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Without a Doubt
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Effective Executive: The Definitive Guide to Getting the Right Things Done (Harperbusiness Essentials)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Broke Diaries: The Completely True and Hilarious Misadventures of a Good Girl Gone Broke
  • The Trip to Echo Spring: On Writers and Drinking
    $9.99 $3.99
  • Paris Letters
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Secret History of the Mongol Queens: How the Daughters of Genghis Khan Rescued His Empire
  • Fear: Essential Wisdom for Getting Through the Storm
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $10.99 $1.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.74 $1.99
  • In My Skin: A Memoir of Addiction
  • Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book
    $10.95 $1.99
  • The Story of the Jews: Finding the Words, 1000 BC - 1492 AD
  • I'm Your Man: The Life of Leonard Cohen
    $11.74 $1.99
  • Atomic Accidents: A History of Nuclear Meltdowns and Disasters: From the Ozark Mountains to Fukushima
  • In Shock: My Journey from Death to Recovery and the Redemptive Power of Hope