Start by marking “The Foggy, Foggy Forest” as Want to Read:
The Foggy, Foggy Forest

The Foggy, Foggy Forest

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  391 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
Peek through each foggy vellum page to guess what lies beyond in an innovative novelty book that's a surefire page turner.

"What can this be in the foggy, foggy forest?" That's the question on every spread of this clever book, each depicting the black-and-white silhouette of a fairy-tale figure or scene. Readers may take a guess and turn the page to see if they’re right — t
Published November 11th 2008 by Candlewick Press (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Foggy, Foggy Forest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Foggy, Foggy Forest

Lisa Vegan
May 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of twists on fairy tales, fans of interesting illustrations, readers who like guessing games
Recommended to Lisa by: Manybooks
There isn’t much to this book but it is cute, and for kids it might be fun to guess/know what’s on the next page. For each double page there is a silhouette of something in the foggy foggy forest with the (a tad annoying for this adult) repeating questioning of what it could be and then the next pages show, via rhyme and full color picture what it is. There are some fairy tale characters and they’re in amusing positions such as “Cinderella and Snow White in a water-pistol fight.” There are only ...more
Manybooks
Mar 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: children who like fun illustrations, children who like discussing fun illustrations
The featured illustrations of Nick Sharratt's The Foggy, Foggy Forest consisting of a black-and-white silhouette of a fairy tale scene (which is then revealed in full colour on the next page) are indeed clever and often very much visual fun. I especially like the images of the ogre doing yoga and Cinderella and Snow White engaged in a bit of a brouhaha, spraying each other with water pistols. However, I find the constantly recurring question "What can this be in the foggy, foggy forest?" and the ...more
ABC
Jun 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
The kids liked it when I read it to them.
Jill
Aug 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book enchanted me. I loved the vellum pages that showed the shadow on the right hand side and then the color side when you turned the page on the left hand side. Good guessing game book.
Syntha Green
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Pefect interactive book for storytime. Dear publishers it is time for a reprint.
Jessica
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lately, I've been loving books that encourage the children to interact with it, rather than just a passive story. Of course, you can make any storytime experience interactive, asking questions like "What do you guys think is going to happen next?" but books that actually ask the questions are surefire wins (example: Look! Look! Look!, Spot the Plot: A Riddle Book of Book Riddles, etc). I did a fairy tale-themed storytime, and The Foggy, Foggy Forest was a great opener. I started out by talking a ...more
Miriam
Oct 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Cute, clever idea with translucent pages hinting at upcoming details hidden by the "fog". Little kids will probably get a kick out of the jokey scenes. I liked the sparser images of black tree silhouettes best.
Betsy
Jan 04, 2009 rated it liked it
This sort of thing's been done before, but it's a cute enough book. Good old vellum. Always good for a larf.
Linda
Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A very cool concept of the see-through pages and our favorite fairy tale characters hanging out in the foggy forest.
Shane Jeffrey
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A fun book for library story times. Kids really liked it!
Mrs. Ho Jr.
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love the vellum pages.
Nicola Baptie
The book is an interactive and questioning book. Not necessarily following a story line with a beginning, middle and end but with a question, a gap for the child to respond what they think the black silhouette may be, and then turning the page to give you the answer.

The story contains a repeating refrain of 'what can be in the foggy foggy forest?'
The response it always a character with a rhyming activity e.g. 'a little elf all by himself'

The children bring their knowledge of traditional tales
Robin
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Am looking forward to using this one in a storytime -- having kids guess what the shapes are. Waxy pages allow shadows to appear through -- a really neat effect. Most are fairy tale type creatures (elf, witch, ogre, Snow White) so could use with fairy tales in storytime. Another possibility would be to use with It Looked like Spilt Milk.

Originally published in England.

Candlewick, 2008
From: England

Unusual vellum pages allow children to "see" shadows in the forest and guess what they'll find on th
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Preschool Story Time on 11/7/11: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Baby/Toddler Story Time on 1/17/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read during Pre-K/K Class Visit on 3/15/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Pajama Story Time on 11/14/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Drop-In Story Time on 1/18/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Drop-In Story Time on 7/26/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
April
Jul 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love reading this book with my 4 and 6 year olds! As a parent, this book is great for boosting imagination. It starts each page with "What can this be in the foggy, foggy forrest?" and the reader sees a shadow, and upon turning the page you see what the real image is. But they are not what you think! The silly spins on fairytale characters leave my kids cracking up every time (even though we have read this book a lot and they know what is coming)! The repetitive phrase definitely helps new rea ...more
Emily
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: toddlers
We checked this book out from the library one week ago, and have probably read it at least fifteen times with our youngest two. The pictures are made of vellum paper and are semi-transparent, so it makes for magical guessing as to what's waiting through the fog on the other side of the page.

It's also one of those books that an adult won't hide under the bed or in the closet after the third request to read it in a single day. It's clever and delightful enough to sit through for a second or third
Vivian
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This was the perfect book to use to introduce this week's story time theme -- "Fairy Tales". (It would also work well with a "Shadows" theme or a "Fair" theme.) On each page you see a shadow outline on vellum accompanied by the phrase "What can this be in the foggy, foggy forest?" Turn the page and see the subject in color and described in rhyme.
...a little elf all by himself...a unicorn playing a horn...Goldilocks with a candy box...etc.
It ends with them all finding a traveling fair.
Megan Dorcas
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was unique because the pages were transparent, but not clear, so you could see outlines without knowing exactly what was on the next page. That would be fun for kids because they would be able to guess what is coming up next. I also liked that the book seamed creepy, like it would be good for around Halloween but nothing scary at all happens in the book. That would be awesome to read as a class because it would get the kids excited about the season, but it would not scare them at all.
Sarah Souther
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
There are shadowy shapes in the foggy, foggy forest. As the reader turns each translucent page, the shadows turn out to be brightly-colored forest animals and storybook creatures. This clever concept is coupled with silly rhymes such as an ogre doing yoga and a fairy queen on a trampoline. Younger kids will enjoy the rhymes and older kids will like guessing what the shapes will be once the page is turned. Gr. PreK-1.
Chloe
Jun 18, 2016
Cassie
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Fairy tale characters and fantastical creatures are hiding behind vellum pages in this unique novelty book. For those who like I Spy games, they will love this new take on the hide and seek format. Creatures such as a unicorn are hidden in silhouette on the right side, but when you turn the page, the creature that was hiding is show in full color. I am interested to see if Nick Sharratt finds another creative use for this technique.
Dona
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
This is a book I have read before but I liked it so much I thought we could revisit it. So we did. The shadowy, black and white illustrations juxtaposed with the colorful characters and pictures make this book stand out as does the clever use of vellum for the pages. It isn't a complex story but it is so fun and different that I gave it a five star rating.
Rebecca
Vellum pages let shadows show through, and pages can be turned to reveal what is casting the shadow (fairy tale characters). Great book for imagination and guessing -- pair with It Looked Like Spilt Milk or Guess Again.
ESF Tsing Yi
Nick Sharratt's books always go down a treat with our students: lively, colourful illustrations and infectious rhymes. The Foggy, Foggy Forest is great for stimulating discussion - what could the silhouettes in the forest be? A favourite here at Tsing Yi.
Sarah Adamson
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a very cleverly designed book made from clear vellum. On each page, you can see the shadow or outline of the upcoming person and can guess at what it might be. Then you turn the page to get the full colored picture. Clever and nice use of fairytale characters that most children will recognize.
TwoDrinks
I really enjoyed this. The illustrations are really cleverly done because all the silhouettes in the story appear on each page in different shades of grey. The are gradually revealed as the book progresses. When the silhouettes are revealed, the contrast between the greys and blacks of the remaining silhouettes and the colourful reveal is really striking.
Esutterlin
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to me by another Children's Librarian. I bought it from Amazon, though, because not in any of my local area libraries.
I loved the artistic, shadowy, construction, but not the flimsyness of the pages, several of which were ripped in my used copies. Liked the black/white and use of color contrast. I liked the originality of the verse and the inclusion of fairy tale characters.
Rachel
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My son says that this book is amazing. He loves reading it to himself, and he has a thing about shadows, which this book is full of. I could read this book in my sleep I have read it so many times ;-)

It is entertaining, short, engaging, and interactive. Everything you want from a children's book.
Elizabeth
Sep 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
More accurately, 5 stars for concept and 3 for illustration.

This is a really clever book, though I was a little disappointed in the color illustrations. Bridget especially loves the surprise element, and Gracie enjoyed the allusions to fairy tales she knows.
Michael Earp
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
  • How Will We Get to the Beach?/Como Iremos a la Playa?
  • I'm a Shark
  • The Squeaky Door
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Do Like a Duck Does!
  • Look Out, Suzy Goose
  • Clip-Clop
  • Snip Snap! What's That?
  • Not Last Night But the Night Before
Nick Sharratt is the author-illustrator of numerous books for children, including The Foggy, Foggy Forest and Dinosaurs’ Day Out. He lives in Brighton, England.
More about Nick Sharratt...