Jump to ratings and reviews
Eleven-year-old twins, Fox and Fibber, have been rivals for as long as they can remember. Only one of them will inherit the family fortune and so a race is afoot to save the dwindling Petty-Squabble empire and win the love of their parents.

But when the twins are whisked off to Jungledrop, a magical Unmapped Kingdom in charge of conjuring our world's weather, things get wildly out of hand. An evil harpy called Morg is on the loose. And if she finds the long-lost Forever Fern before the twins, both Jungledrop and our world will crumble.

Suddenly, Fox and Fibber find themselves on an incredible adventure in a glow-in-the-dark rainforest full of golden panthers, gobblequick trees and enchanted temples. But, with the fate of two worlds in their hands, will the twins be able to work together for once to defeat Morg and her dark magic?

288 pages, Kindle Edition

First published August 4, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Abi Elphinstone

30 books384 followers
Abi Elphinstone grew up in Scotland where she spent most of her childhood building dens, hiding in tree houses and running wild across highland glens. After being coaxed out of her tree house, she studied English at Bristol University and then worked as a teacher.

THE DREAMSNATCHER is her debut novel for 8-12 years (published by Simon & Schuster in 2015). THE SHADOW KEEPER is her second children's book (published by Simon & Schuster in 2016).

When she's not writing, Abi volunteers for Beanstalk, teaches creative writing workshops in schools and travels the world looking for her next story. Her latest adventure involved living with the Kazakh Eagle Hunters in Mongolia…

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
6 (1%)
1 star
3 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 73 reviews
Profile Image for Gavin Hetherington.
673 reviews5,637 followers
March 28, 2020
A fantastic follow-up to one of my favourite middle grades of this year, Jungledrop does an incredible job at developing the imaginative world of the Unmapped Chronicles.

It's been years since our original hero from 'Rumblestar' saved the Unmapped Kingdoms from the evil harpy Morg, so when two bratty twins get whisked away to Jungledrop, another unmapped kingdom, they're forced to follow an adventure they definitely did not want. This adventure takes them through a jungle landscape that might be rather gorgeous, but it's insanely dangerous with the evil harpy and her Midnights after them.

One of the reasons Jungledrop is so brilliant is because of the protagonists. They're not our usual child heroes, in fact, when we begin the story, they're not heroes at all! They're rude, impolite, and downright unlikeable! But that's the way they've been raised by their parents and they have no concept of kindness or caring for others. Not only that, but they're also pitted against each other by their parents, so they don't even like each other! Boy, are they in for a wake-up call. By the end of the novel, I LOVED them! Their character development is brilliant - I won't give any spoilers, but they definitely learn so much from their adventures, and children reading this will also learn the same lessons (I hope).

There is fantastic commentary about how we treat the environment and animals, so this is also another very well-executed part of the story. Elphinstone imbues this teaching with the fantastical elements of her story. You're required to have a strong imagination to keep up with the author's - she has so many wonderful ideas and concepts in this world that I couldn't have imagined myself. Elphinstone is reminiscent of the brilliant minds of Roald Dahl and C. S. Lewis, as everyone claims, but what is so great about Abi Elphinstone is that her imagination is her own. I've read enough of her books now to identify my Elphinstone from my Dahl, and she is up there with the middle grade greats who have come before her.

There is still SO much to discover in this world and I can't wait for more in the Unmapped Chronicles.
Profile Image for Dannii Elle.
2,034 reviews1,421 followers
April 8, 2021
This is the second book in The Unmapped Chronicles series.

This series delivers one of my favourite fantasy tropes - the through the wardrobe and down the rabbit hole style of transporting the characters into another world. Once there, a problem occurs that requires solving before returning home becomes feasible.

What this book delivered alongside this, however, is an atypical hero and heroine, who were individuals I initially struggled to root for and that was exactly the point of their character construction. The twins who centre in this story were bratty, conceited, rude, and angry. They had very good reasons for being so, however. These reasons are uncovered as the adventure progressed and ensured this was not only a thrilling and action-packed story, but also one with a lot of heart and much character growth, as well. I greatly enjoyed seeing the duo become individuals I could root for, as well as to see characters who would not normally make it to the spotlight receive this treatment, thanks to Elphinstone's brilliance.
168 reviews20 followers
March 30, 2020
Fox and Fibber, twins, pitted against each other and used to stomping on people's feelings learn to be polite in a magical world where they have to be heroes to save the world. The book started strong , full of humour but...ah...a bit wordy.
It had great potential . But the made up names are a little annoying . Full of deus ex machina and convenient plot points.
On the other hand, it would make a good movie.

*I received an e-ARC
Profile Image for Vee.
1,183 reviews94 followers
November 5, 2020
Believathon: Book 4, CROWN

The Unmapped Chronicles are such imaginative books, so much so that I truly have no idea what Abi Elphinstone is going to come up with page-to-page. The type of storytelling really reminds me of Roald Dahl, both in whimsy and in the sense that they feel like twisted fairytales. I love that Elphinstone’s characters always have a very clear arc and that we are brought into that arc by way of empathy, even if they start out in a place that’s not particularly easy to empathise with.
I loved the sibling relationship in Jungledrop and how the growth of that relationship was focused on the friendship between siblings. A fantastically fun adventure for both plot and character!
September 12, 2020
Ahhhh this book!! Lol 1st off, I was surprised that this book was about 2 different kids than the 1st book. I didn’t know that, so it took me by surprise. But it makes sense why there are different ones. These 2 are siblings, twins actually. Their names are Fox & Fibber Petty-Squabble. This book is just as good as the 1st as far as the awesome names everyone & every place & thing have lol loved that still. Fox annoyed me so much!! It was well over halfway through the book before she stopped. She did something that made an animal sad, & I almost couldn’t take it anymore lol anything w/animals, even if it’s just saying something that hurts their feelings-it gets to me. The author has a lot of talent at writing characters that could evoke that kind of emotion from me, & be so believable w/how they were. Even though Fox made me so mad for most of the book, as the book went on I understood why it had to be that way, & the message/story the author was trying to convey. I was definitely more invested maybe in their journey, & by the end of the book I loved both twins. The twins went on a grand adventure in a different kingdom called Jungledrop. They had a talking parrot who could hear your thoughts, & I absolutely loved her!! I loved the Sloth too lol This had another great story & adventure, w/a vividly described setting. I loved that. But since I couldn’t stand the main character for most of the book, I like the 1st book more lol I cannot wait for the next book though! This writer is very talented, & I’m excited to go on the next adventure! Love this absolutely beautiful cover too!!😍😍This book shows the importance of kindness & how far it can take you, & how much you can accomplish by just letting people in. Taking down your walls. Being a kind human being is everything. You never know the kind of impact your words can have on another, so make them count.💜💜

Synopsis of 1st book: Eleven-year-old Casper Tock hates risks, is allergic to adventures and shudders at the thought of unpredictable events. So, it comes as a nasty shock to him when he accidentally stumbles into Rumblestar, an Unmapped Kingdom full of magical beasts. All Casper wants is to find a way home, but Rumblestar is in trouble.

An evil harpy called Morg is sending her followers, the Midnights, into the kingdom to wreak havoc and pave the way for her to steal the Unmapped magic for herself. But Casper cannot turn a blind eye because the future of his own world, he discovers, is bound up with that of the Unmapped Kingdoms.

And so, together with Utterly Thankless, a girl who hates rules and is allergic to behaving, and her miniature dragon, Arlo, Casper embarks upon an adventure full of cloud giants, storm ogres and drizzle hags. Can he, Utterly and Arlo, the unlikeliest of heroes, save the Unmapped Kingdoms and our world from the clutches of Morg and her Midnights? Live a life filled with adventure with Abi Elphinstone in this brand new series where a whole new world is waiting to be discovered...
Profile Image for Stormi (StormReads).
1,791 reviews159 followers
March 16, 2021
I really enjoyed the first book in this trilogy and while I liked this one I didn't quite like it as much as I did the first book.

Fox and Fibber Petty-Squabble are horrible twins that are the byproduct of horrible parents! Their parents run two different business and find that always trying to be better than the other is the way to make money even if their products are horrible. They decided the best way to raise the twins is the pit them against each other and so Fox is suppose to come up with a grand scheme to fix their father's business and Fibber their mother's business.

Fox and Fibber don't trust each other and one day Fox wants to know what Fibber is working on so she steals his briefcase because he has been acting a lot different than normal. Fibber takes off after her and they soon end up in an antique shop where they meet an old man named Casper Tock who tells them about how sometimes there are heroes from their world that go to a different world and shows them a phoenix tear that is glowing. Fox takes it but has no clue about what the old man is talking about, but then they end up on a train but it's not an ordinary train but one that takes them to Jungledrop, one of the unmapped kingdoms.

The unmappers are very excited to get new heroes to come and help them fight Morg, but they are not real sure about these two that come to their kingdom but they are what they get. The Lofty Husk are kind of like the rulers and are large animals and Goldenpaw is the one that meets them and tells they about how they need to get the forever fern to save Jungledrop, but all Fox can think about is how this plant could help her best her brother.

Soon Fox and Fibber learn that they are going to need to work together if they want to survive Jungledrop and find the Forever Fern and save their own world.

I must say for about the first 35% of this book I wasn't a fan of it, I knew that there were lessons to be learned and that Fox and Fibber (well mainly Fox) would learn about working for the greater good and not just lying and scheming but she drove me crazy till that happened! Fibber was never that bad and then his sister did something to him that was horrible and slightly funny but let's just say he wasn't a lot of help after that and she ends up alone with just a very chatty bird and has to grow up quickly!

It really was a fun adventure and I enjoyed it once Fox straightens up but it was the getting there that wasn't as fun which is why I wasn't as big of a fan of this one as I was the first one. I loved most of the characters and Fox grew on me but Fibber was my favorite. I loved the bird who could read their inner thoughts and loved to tell everyone about them (can't remember his name), but he was a lot of fun. Loved the interesting creature they meet along the way as well.

Overall it was good and I am curious about the finale book in the series that will come out later this year!
Profile Image for BooksForTopics.
142 reviews39 followers
September 11, 2020
Our community members in schools tell us time and again how popular Abi Elphinstone's stories have been in schools among pupils and teachers. Not so long ago, Sky Song whisked readers in upper KS2 away on a magical fantasy adventure through frozen landscapes and last year, Rumblestar landed to introduce the Unmapped Chronicle series with a bang. The latest book, Jungledrop, follows in the Unmapped Chronicle series but also reads well as a standalone adventure for those who missed Rumblestar.

Jungledrop tells the story of a set of obnoxious and self-assured twins called Fox and Fibber Petty-Squabble. The pair are fiercely competitive with each other, desperate to prove their own worth to the family businesses at any cost. They've got a lot to learn and the narrator assures the reader early on that they will learn to be brave and kind if we stick with them for a while - in fact, they are even on a path to save the world from the power-hungry antagonist Morg the Harpy.

Quickly hurled into an adventure they never meant to be part of, the twins find themselves in the glow-in-the dark rainforest kingdom of Jungledrop. Abi Elphinstone excels at fleshing out her fantasy worlds with thrilling and entertaining characters; in Jungledrop the twins meet a host of fantastical creatures, including their dry-humoured companion Heckle the parrot, Doogie Herbalsneeze (the jungle apothecary) and Iggy Blether, the unicycle-riding unmapper. The exotic landscape is also populated with imaginative plants like the gobblequick trees and a treetop highway for easy jungle commuting.

There's a real sense of adventure in the story, with danger never being far away, and the fantasy elements are well- balanced against a voyage of empathy. The narrative offers the reader insights into the way in which the twins' backgrounds, experiences and upbringing have contributed to their unpleasant behaviour and tendency towards dishonesty, selfish ambition and distrust of others' intentions of kindness. Through their adventure, Fox and Fibber learn a lot about what it really means to be strong and how working together with courage and kindness is what makes kingdoms thrive. In the background to the story, there's a gentle stirring of themes of environmental conservatism, as characters must act communally to preserve their kingdoms from threats of destruction.

A must-read for lovers of fantasy adventures and those who love a story that stirs the imagination.

Many thanks to the publisher for our review copy. This features on our Autumn 2020 Ones to Watch list.
Profile Image for Emma.
277 reviews6 followers
October 5, 2020
Initially I was provided an ARC by the publisher via netgalley. I appologise for not reading this. I have just finished the copy I preordered along with the audiobook.

Firstly these stories can be read in any order however i would advise reading Everdark, Rumblestar and then Jungledrop. This is because there are little snippets that I think land better with reading in order.

This one did have me in tears at the end. The change and the journey both Fox & Fibber Petty-Squabble go through is heartwarming. This is not just a journey with adventure, this a journey that breaks down walls and teaches people what is important.  My favourite of the series and I cannot wait for the next. The story is fantastic and thank you to Abi Elphinstone for creating this world and all the characters.

Narration by Nicky Diss is also fabulous if you are more inclined to listen to an audiobook. I do both at the same time as I love the immersive nature and 100% reccomend consuming this story in either medium.
Profile Image for Sabrina.
1,277 reviews27 followers
November 9, 2020
Fox and Fibber Petty-Squabble are the most unlikely pair of heroes. 'The Petty-Squabble twins have as much charm as a politicians underpants' This pretty much says it all. However they are in fact the only ones who can save Jungle drop from the evil harpy, Morg. They have been rivals all their lives but now they have to work together. On the way they learn a wonderful lesson - just because you've been taught all your life to stamp on other people to get your way, doesn't mean it really is the only way.
The world is so magical and described wonderfully. I love all the characters, from the petty, Petty-Squabble kids, to the many different creatures they meet on their journey.
I love this narrator so much and I am really enjoying this series. I can't wait for The Crackledawn Dragon.
Profile Image for Kirsten Barrett.
207 reviews1 follower
February 7, 2021
Another excellent addition to The Unmapped Chronicles.

I love the links to previous books, however you don't need to have read previous installments to follow the story.

The main characters are not your usual protagonists - which is what makes the story! They are unkind and unlikable. It takes a long time for their characters to change, and their inner thoughts show how hard it is to change. Their growth throughout the story is believable and beautiful to see.

This book is also full of beautiful quotes, which I wish I had written down as I read.

Be a real world shaker!
Profile Image for Dreximgirl.
1,057 reviews23 followers
August 22, 2020
I really like this series. It took me a while to warm up to our main characters but I think its supposed to. It definitely made me invested in their journey. Some great characters and really good setting while also moving along the overarching plot.
Profile Image for Helen.
791 reviews9 followers
March 5, 2022
Amazing story about twins who have to work together to prevent the evil Morg from taking all the magic from jungle drop.
Fast placed story with lots of twists.
You really need to read the first book rumble star first to understand what is happening.
Author 4 books27 followers
November 8, 2020
I raced through this book, which was such a nice surprise as my last read had taken days (partly because it was a high concept book, and partly because I was reading that book while the US election was being counted.) A quick, delightful Middle Grade adventure was exactly the cleanser I needed to pick me up.

There's a very Roald Dahl slant to this book that I wasn't expecting - and don't seem to remember from the first book. The characterisation of the Petty-Squabbles is very exaggerated - it reminded me of both the naming and caricature nature of cruel, selfish people that figure in his books. It makes the moralising lesson in this book much more obvious than it often is in MG - be kind to people.

I am very aware that I am NOT the target market for this book, and that it is probably written for the lower end of Middle Grade (it felt "younger" than a lot of the other Middle Grade I read.) As such, I did find the moralising a bit too in your face, but that's because I'm about three times older than the target market. Target market is certainly something we have to read with awareness of because otherwise we end up making judgements on a book that wasn't designed for us!

This said, the Roald Dahl feel certainly brought on a wave of nostalgia, and also a slight comedic feel to the bright, bold adventure. It's such a colourful story, full of vibrant characters and action-packed sequences.

The prose is largely keeping in a tight third person POV centred on Fox. However, the end of chapters often zoomed out to a more omniscient narration that referred to other events and adding a sense of foreboding as it would refer to the villainous Morg, for example. It works for the type of story, and does contribute a bit to the younger age of the book, as it's not a particularly subtle attempt at foreshadowing or tension building. That's nothing bad - I'm just reading in a very analytical mode today!

JUNGLEDROP is part of the same series as RUMBLESTAR but it's not a "direct sequel" because it's set many, many years after the events of that book, and Caspar is only a cameo (and I am now assuming that a certain character in RUMBLESTAR was a cameo of the leads from EVERDARK.) It took me a bit by surprise that so much time had passed between the two books (particularly as this series is a metaphor for climate change and yet our world didn't seem too much different despite the decades difference) but it was a very minor thing I could ignore and just get on with enjoying the story.
Profile Image for Caitlyn.
199 reviews1 follower
October 2, 2020
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and Simon and Schuster in exchange for an honest review.

This is another wonderful entry in the Unmapped Chronicles that made me laugh, kept me intrigued throughout and had me in tears through the final chapters. The Unmapped Chronicles is different to many other current fantasy middlegrade series in that each entry follows a different protagonist, though the world they visit is the same and the overaching plot progresses throughout the series. Basically, it's more in the vein of the Narnia books than the Nevermoor series. This means that in each book we view the world through the eyes of a someone we've not met before. It is a testament to the skill of the author that each time I become thoroughly invested in the character and laugh and cry along with them as I follow their journey.

Jungledrop follows the adventures of the Petty-Squable twins, Fox and Fibber, who have grown up believing that you have to stamp on others to get anywhere in life and that power and money are the things that matter most. The twins unexpectedly find themselves transported to Jungledrop (one of the Unmapped Kingdoms responsible for creating weather in our world) which is under attack from Morg and her dark magic. The fates of both worlds are in danger and Fox and Fibber might be the only ones who can save them. But will they be able to put aside their rivalry and work together?

Something that stands out straight away in Elphinstone's books are the names that she uses. From characters (Petty-squable, Total Shambles), to items in nature like the gobblequick trees, each name instantly creates an idea in your head of what the character will be like or how the magical creature will act. The more you get to know about these characters and magical features, the more the names seem absolutely perfect.

While these books are fantastical and mostly set in another world, they do contain a real and important message for our world about the dangers of climate change. I loved how through the medium of a beautiful, magical world, the author explorers the impact of droughts, deforestation and extinction. Reading this book could definitely lead to some thoughtful discussions on the subject.

My favourite parts of this book were the themes of kindness and bravery that wove throughout the story. I love books that promote these positive attitudes and this one did it in quite a unique way. Rather than giving us a more typical hero, who is just out of place or overlooked, this book begins with main characters that are loud and rude and actually rather unlikeable. It is wonderful to go on the journey (both physical and emotional) with them and see where they end up.

I will definitely be adding this book to my classroom library and recommending it avidly. Anyone who has read the previous books in this series will be very pleased with this entry. For those who have not read Everdark and Rumblestar, I would recommend them to readers aged 8+ who enjoy adventures, magic and nature stories.
Profile Image for Maura MozReads.
68 reviews1 follower
November 10, 2020
Another magical adventure in the world of the Unmapped Kingdoms with the most imaginative and dangerous story yet!

One of the many great things the author Abi Elphinstone does right is character names, such as Utterly Thankless, one of the characters in her previous Unmapped Chronicles story Rumblestar and now in Jungledrop we get the wonderful (well not at the beginning) Fox and Fibber Petty-Squabble .

Fox and Fibber have learned at a very young age from their parents that it's stamped or be stamped on. Kindness was the last thing on their mind, especially towards each other. The twins are in competition to come up with a plan to save their parents businesses. The story begins with Fox running away with Fibbers briefcase full of supposedly great ideas. This leads them to a strange train, with green steam coming from it. Once inside they realise pretty quickly that this is no ordinary train and it's taking them somewhere they had never even heard of, Jungledrop one of the Unmapped Kingdoms.
The two learn that the reason the rain had stopped on earth is because the evil harpy Morg is back again trying to steal magic, meaning the unmappers of Jungledrop have no magic to make scrolls for rain. It seems that it will be up to them to find a special fern that will beat Morg and bring magic and water back to the worlds.

I absolutely loved the two Petty-Squabbles. Fox and Fiber were fantastic heroes to follow as we got to see real growth in their characters as they went from competitors to real siblings that cared for each other. It wasn't quick or easy, but the trust that blossomed as they tried to save both their world and the Unmapped Kingdom really was wonderful to see.

The main theme of the book being kindness really is a perfect message to be sending out, especially in these tough times for many people and kids. Wrapped in with the environmental side, this book incorporates long-lasting lessons with amazing imagination for kids to really grasp hold of and find comfort and courage in it.

I was late getting to this book, so I listened to it as an audio book as well and I have to again complement the great narrator that is Nicky Diss for great work in bring the characters to life.

Thank you to Simon & Schuster Children's and Netgalley for an early eArc of the book!
Profile Image for Stephanie.
13 reviews
March 31, 2020
I was lucky enough to be gifted an early access copy of Jungle Drop by Abi Elphinstone, after enjoying her other books so much. This is the second in her “Unmapped Chrinocles” series, the first being Rumblestar, which I absolutely loved.

Jungle Drop tells the story of Fox and Fibber Petty-Squabble, twins who have been rivals all of their lives, who believe that the way to be successful is to stamp on others and only look out for yourself. Fox and Fibber are swept into the glow-in-the-dark rainforest of Jungle Drop and become the unlikely heroes battling the harpy Morg and her Midnights to save Jungle Drop and The Faraway. It’s a fast-paced adventure story with lashings of magic and truly beautiful setting descriptions. The characters are so well written, I love the lofty husks, but my favourite character is Heckle (a talking parrot who repeats what people think rather than what they say).

I’d recommend this for fans of magic and adventure—you don’t need to have read Rumblestar but it’s worth exploring Rumblestar before you are swept into Jungle Drop.

The thing I loved most about Jungle Drop is the message of teamwork, kindness and taking care of others and the environment. Great things are done “by being kind—and by believing full tilt in magic”.
Profile Image for Rachel.
103 reviews4 followers
September 11, 2020
This is the second book the world of Unmapped Chronicles, and is just as fantastic as Rumblestar.

Our protagonists this time are the impolite and unkind twins Fox and Fibber who are fierce rivals. This makes for an interesting start since we begin by disliking them, however a lot changes as the story unfolds! Cast into an adventure in a mystical jungle landscape, the twins learn how unkind and selfish actions affect others. This theme develops with the evil Morg who has been draining the world and causing widespread devastation; the links to environmentalism and conservation are more than just hints, as are the messages of working together with kindness.

Elphinstone has built an incredible and inspired magical world with so many well developed ideas and concepts. The characters are superb - my particular favourite is Heckle the parrot who repeats what other people and animals think rather than say - which makes for some of the best comic lines in the novel.

Just like Rumblestone, this book is a delight, and the ending allows for another adventure - I look forward to it!

With many thanks to Abi Elphinstone, Simon & Schuster and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this arc.
Profile Image for Zara.
221 reviews6 followers
January 24, 2021
I haven't read the first instalment to The Unmapped Chronicles, but that didn't stop me from enjoying Jungledrop!

We start off by meeting twins Fox and Fibber who are not very likeable characters. Their parents are even worse. The twins are terrified of being unloved, being abandoned, being worthless; Some strong feelings for little ones to be carrying around. As a result, they are full of anger and fear and aren't the best of friends to each other, or anyone else for that matter. They stumble onto a magical train that takes them to a magical world that is being threatened by the evil Morg, and supposedly Fox and Fibber are going to save the kingdom! However, Fox doesn't want to save the world when she can make her parents love her by taking something magical from this world back home with her.

The journey of growth these characters go on, Fox in particular, is beautiful to see. She makes mistakes, she isn't very nice, but slowly she learns to love herself and believe in herself. I enjoyed the magical world Elphinstone has created; it really came to life for me. There were some clever twists used throughout the story, and there was a message about global warming included for children too. I also liked the idea of the hero in book 1 returning in book 2 as a side character and being gracious that he had his adventure, now it was someone else's turn.

I am obviously not the intended reader, and this story is clearly fantastical, but the parents ruined it for me. However, I am sure a younger audience may find it works perfectly. It was an enjoyable journey in a magical world and I look forward to reading the rest of the Chronicles!
Profile Image for Chloe Gardner.
29 reviews
January 31, 2021
After reading Abi Elphinstone’s newest book Jungle Drop, I felt I needed to draw the characters Fox and Fibber. Once again I was thrown onto a roll coaster ride whilst reading this book, which I never want to end. I love the world, I love the characters, I love the development of said characters and overall a five out of five star book 💓⭐️ Abi Elphinstone outdid herself once again and Im so excited for the last book to come out next year in 2021 in The Unmapped Chronicles!
Since the day the twins were born, Fox and Fibber have been rivals. Only one can inherit the family torture!

But then they are whisked off to Jugledrop, one of the Unmapped kingdoms and it needs their help! They must work together to find the Forever Fern, before Morg! An evil harpy set on finding the plant first! But if she does then all of the Unmapped Kingdom and the Faraway will crumble!

Can Fox and Fibber put aside their rivalry to save both Jungledrop and their home before it’s to late?
This book had me glued to the pages, I couldn’t put it down.
6 reviews
September 7, 2021
This is an excellent book. I like it because Abi Elphinstone is a very good author and puts you in the main characters boots, so when they are in danger you feel scared for them, when they are sad you feel sad, and when they are happy you feel happy. I had read the book Everdark beforehand so I had an insight into the Unmapped world.

This book is about twins, Fox and Fibber, who are transported to the magical kingdom of Jungledrop. This kingdom is responsible for our world's rain, and there is an evil harpy named Morg who wants the kingdom's magic for her own and will do anything in her power to get it. The twins have hated each other since birth as only one will inherit the family fortune and their parents love. In Jungledrop they need to work together to defeat Morg and save our world and the Unmapped Kingdoms.

I would recommend this book to people that like a good humourous yet serious book of adventure and friendship, and it is suitable for younger and slightly older readers. I am ten years old.
Profile Image for Penny.
279 reviews7 followers
February 6, 2022
This is the second book in the Unmapped Chronicles series, but each story is a standalone adventure, which is good because I haven't read Rumblestar (#1.)

Fox and Fibber Petty-Squabble are twins of a most unpleasant nature. Their parents have taught them that their family motto is DO NOT BE AFRAID... TO STAMP ALL OVER OTHER PEOPLE'S FEELINGS.

Not only that, but they have pitted the siblings against each other so they are constantly trying to outdo one another. When Fox runs off which something precious to Fibber, and happens upon an elderly Casper Tock (star of Rumblestar) she and her brother learn that they are destined to head to the Unmapped Kingdom of Jungledrop and save both worlds from the evil plans of Morg.

This is a fast paced tale, although it took me a while to get my head around the world I was in, which I think would make a good readaloud (I was imagining myself reading it out loud as I was reading it) for around Y5/6 children.
Profile Image for Lloyd Piper.
41 reviews1 follower
December 2, 2022
Jungledrop was a solid sequel, but I did think it was a shame that it didn’t continue on with Caspers adventures after Rumblestar. Fox and Fibber were very interesting though, and I did really enjoy their adventure! I know they were supposed to be “entitled/spoilt” rich kids, and that is part of how they grow through the story, but there was just something about fox that bothered me, even at the end of the book.
In Rumblestar, the downtrodden Casper escaped his bullies and got the adventure he deserved to help him stand up for himself and become the confident person he knew he was really. whereas Jungledrop was essentially the opposite and I did find it hard to relate and feel compassion? to the “bully” main character (even though I know this is the arc for the characters in the end).
All in all it was a solidly well written book, and I will definitely read the next one, but I wouldn’t say I finished it feeling like I had read a cracking book.
Profile Image for Julie.
449 reviews4 followers
April 14, 2020
Thanks to NetGalley for this copy.

This is the second book in the Unmapped Chronicles series, following on from Rumblestar. There is also a World Book Day book from 2019 which begins the stories - Ever Dark. I had read Ever Dark but not Rumblestar but it does not matter if you haven't read other books in the series - this is a stand-alone adventure that works perfectly well by itself.

Fibber and Fox are twins who have been raised to think of no-one but themselves. But when they find themselves whisked away on a strange train to Jungledrop, one of the Unmapped Kingdoms, they realise that their previous behaviours will not help them and they must find a way to work with - not against - other people to save not just Jungledrop but also their own home.

A fabulous adventure pitting family and friendship against dark magic.
Profile Image for Ms  Kirby.
236 reviews13 followers
December 3, 2020
This fantasy story is in the Unmapped Chronicles series.
At first, I did not enjoy this very much as the two main characters (twin brother & sister) are quite obnoxious. This is because their parents have brought them up to bully and push their way around in order to get to the top of the business world. These horrid parents pit the children against each other so they fight to get their parents love and favour.
When they go into the fantasy realm of Jungledrop, things start to change as the children slowly come to realise that they will do better working together and being friendly and polite to the other characters.
The plot then gets more and more exciting as they race to rescue the world of Jungledrop from the evil Morg and this in turn will help to save their own world, which is parched dry from lack of rain.
This is a good book for KS3.
Profile Image for Vicky.
368 reviews16 followers
March 31, 2020
Jungledrop was a wonderfully imaginative story with a beautifully created world that two at first annoying, but eventually charming, characters adventure in. The world building was in depth and intriguing and Abi Elphinstone put so much description into the story that was a joy to read. Her imagination has no bounds as I found myself loving all of the made up creatures and characters of Jungledrop.

A particular highlight to the story was Heckle, who I adored. I love an animal sidekick anyhow, but Heckle with his voicing of everyone’s thoughts was hilarious and it was a fantastic way to show the change in the characters throughout the novel.

The message at the end of the story was one of kindness and love, one that I think should be shared with classes all around the world.
Profile Image for Vicky.
368 reviews16 followers

Profile Image for Amy.
966 reviews64 followers
October 18, 2020
I love Abi's writing and so was very happy to realise she was adding another book to this series; what I really enjoy about this series is that each book is set a significant amount of time after the previous one. It shows that Morg actually needs time to build up her power which makes her seem even more of a legitimate threat than if the books happened months apart; because of this the worlds take time to recover and can almost be lulled into a false sense of security... and then it starts happening again.

In contrast to the other books it definitely took me a little while to warm up to our main characters; especially the sister, Fibber, but I definitely think that is what Abi intended. The characters had to go on this journey to realise there is more to the world than there money and business. I love the fact that Abi's writing always focuses on important topics that tend to be around friendship and bravery. All of the main characters are flawed initially and they need to go on this journey to realise who they really are and what true courage and strength is about. I do wish we'd got more of Fox throughout this story as I think he could have been a really important perspective but I enjoyed watching Fibber grow throughout the story.

Can't wait to see what this story brings us next!
Profile Image for MrsSandherBooks.
90 reviews3 followers
December 31, 2020
I don't know how Abi Elphinstone writes such consistently amazing books but this was an incredible read - I loved every page!

Fox and Fibber are twins who have been bought up as rivals and told not to trust anyone. They have been taught to rely on themselves and be unkind and cruel to others but when they end up in Jungledrop, one of the Unmapped Kingdoms, suddenly their view of the world needs to change. They have to work together, and with others they come across to defeat the evil Morg and plant the pearl from the Forever Fern to make sure Jungledrop survives and the drought in the Faraway ends.

I am in awe of the imagination it must have taken to have written this book and how incredible the world was - the characters were so complex and interesting but reading about them as they grew and developed was just charming. I defy anyone to not love this book and the world of The Unmapped Chronicles - I am waiting eagerly for the next installment coming next year!

I received a free ARC of this from the publishers via Netgalley but also purchased my own paperback copy.
7 reviews
May 27, 2020
A wonderful book full of magic and adventure with Fox and Fibber, the Petty-Squabble twins in the latest of the Unmapped Chronicles books. Rivals for as long as they can both remember the fate of the Unmapped Kingdom, Jungledrop and the Faraway are once again in peril from the evil Morg and are in the hands of Fox and Fibber as the very unlike heroes when they've always been pitted against one another before. Now they have to come together and learn some very valuable lesson like trust, honesty and kindness in order to save the two worlds from the dark magic of Morg. An absolute belter of a story and Heckle is just the best talking parrot ever!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 73 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.