Start by marking “Johnny Appleseed” as Want to Read:
Johnny Appleseed

Johnny Appleseed

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  500 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Rhymed text and illustrations relate the life of John Chapman, whose distribution of apple seeds and trees across the Midwest made him a legend and left a legacy still enjoyed today.
Published September 1st 1993 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Johnny Appleseed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Johnny Appleseed

Hlee Moua
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Johnny Appleseed who really was, Johnny Chapman has always been a great story nationwide especially in the Midwest where he started his journey in planting apples. A great way to introduce the history of apple, Johnny Appleseed, Native Americans, Life in the Midwest, how people where date back in the century, love, nature and many more. This is a great book because it hold rich histories about America and the many things you can do with apples.
Shanna Gonzalez
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
There are many legends about John Chapman, the quiet man who planted apple orchards across early America. This book captures the romantic mystery of these legends, while emphasizing that they are based on a real person's story. The book opens as young Hannah spies him coming down the road toward her family's homestead. He stays for dinner, and leaves some apple seedlings for the family when he goes away. Throughout the years he plants apple trees across the land. When many decades later he retur ...more
midnightfaerie
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A great educational book for your children of all ages. My 5 yr old loved it as well as my 3 yr old twins. Lots of good information with beautiful pictures that will help keep children engaged. The poem was beautiful and the illustrations were so detailed! So much going on in each picture, we stopped for a while on each one to check them out. All my kids noticed different things in the picture. This was a recommendation for an additional read to our US history lesson on Appleseed, and my son lov ...more
Matthew
Beautifully illustrated and wonderfully poetic in presentation this book was fun to read. Not as fact based as I would have hoped in the main text, it still told the truth effectively in the afterword and conveyed many of the myths of his life in the central text. It was a great joy to read this.
Melissa Kearney
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Genre: Legend, fiction
Theme(s): rhyming, apple growers, frontier and pioneer life, appreciation
Opening line/sentence:
In the early days of the American frontier, when most of this nation was still wild, unsettled land, there lived a man of great courage and gentleness who traveled through the wilderness, planting apple trees.

Brief Book Summary:
Written in rhyming narrative verse, this book is about the life of John Chapma
Bridget Allebach
Genre: Legend
Theme(s): Food, Exploration, Appreciation
Opening line/sentence:
“In the early days of the American frontier,
the most of this nation was still wild and unsettled land.
There lived a man of great courage and gentleness,
Who travelled through the wilderness planting apple trees.”
Brief Book Summary: We follow the journey of John Chapman, better known as Johnny Appleseed, through his journey across the country plan
Ally
Feb 29, 2016 added it
Genre: Legend
Theme(s): Selflessness/Random Acts of Kindness
Opening line/sentence: “Who was Johnny Appleseed?”
Brief Book Summary: Johnny Appleseed traveled around and planted apple seeds to grow apple trees.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Lindbergh, Reeve and Jakobsen, Kathy Johnny Appleseed 32 pp. ISBN 0-316-52618-5 (1) K-3 series. Through verse and illustration, this splendid production is a glorious celebration of
Theo Logos
The story of Johnny Appleseed has long been a favorite, cherished legend of the American frontier for generations of young children, and this magical collaboration between poet Lindbergh and illustrator Jakobsen is a sweet and simple way to introduce it. Both poem and illustrations are beautifully simple, lacking all artiface, and are thus wonderfully appropriate for descibing a legend famous for those same qualities.
Lindbergh's poem tells Johnny Appleseed's story through the perspective of one
Margaret Chind
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Margaret by: Memoria Press Second Grade Curriculum

Originally posted on www.CreativeMadnessMama.comWe are starting Memoria Press Second Grade Enrichment Guide and the first book selection for our studies is this one, Johnny Appleseed: A Poem by Reeve Lindbergh. The first discovery I was surprised by is that Reeve is actually a female, which I wouldn't have assumed from the name. After we read through this one, I discovered there is actually an animated story version of it streaming on Discovery Education. As I had one day left before our summer
Chris Connolly
Sep 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: libs-642
Category (none)
Book that I want to share

Description

1. Born John Chapman, Johnny Appleseed was known to have planted many apple seeds in the western part of the country around 200 years ago; apples were a good, quick source of food for people and soldiers to eat during any time of the year. Planting many seedlings that grew into trees, Johnny became famous for his intuition of how to make several kinds of foods from apples. On one can bit into an apple without giving partial thanks to Johnny Appl
Megan Nelson
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
The story of John Chapman, also known as "Johnny Appleseed", is amazing. He was born in Leominster, MA in 1774, and when he grew up, he dedicated his life to growing apple trees all across America. He walked all over America, during the time of the Western Frontier, spreading apple seeds in the ground and watching apple trees grow. All he ever carried with him on his journeys were apple seeds and his Bible; he didn't carry any weapons, and he was friends with the Native Americans. "Johnny Apples ...more
Dolly
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We found a video treat at our library: we just watched Scholastic Video Collection: The Scrambled States of America and More Stories to Celebrate Our Country DVD, which features animated adaptations of children's storybooks with celebrity narrators.

This story was narrated by Mary McDonnell with music by Randy Scruggs and we just loved the format.

It reminded us of the Tumblebooks animations that we occasionally watch online. As the book is narrated, we followed along with a slightly animated ve
What I loved about this book were the illustrations. On the side of the page where there was text, it was outlined with an old quilt pattern and pictures of what had happened previously to the seed/tree and Johnny as well as where he was headed. The pictures really tell a story in this book. It is so beautiful and warm. I had never actually read the story of Johnny Appleseed and I was surprised in this poem who much they talked about God and being thankful to Him for the harvest. I am not sure y ...more
Paige Hirsch
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
1. The book "Johnny Appleseed" by Reeve Lindbergh is a book about John Chapman. It explains how he distributed apple seeds and trees across the midwest. John Chapman is still a legend today and this book shows the history behind his legacy.

2. I think this text is great to read to young learners in the fall. You can pair it with a book about apples. The pictures are wonderful. Also, it is a rhymed text.

3. I would pair this book with "How do Apples grow?" by Betsy Maestro.

4. "A hundred apple autum
Liz Benitez
Sep 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Interest Level: K-3
Reading Level Equivalent: 4.5

This is a poem about John Chapman, also known as Johnny Appleseed because he planted apple seeds across the Midwest of the United States. In the poem he walks everywhere planting the seeds and sharing stories with people he meets. The poem is Fiction because John did not plant all the orchards in America but he did own nurseries in three states (Pennsylvania, Ohio and Northern Indiana) and contributed to bringing apples to the frontiers in the 1800
Gordon Pennington
Johnny Appleseed is the story of a young man who went all around the Midwest and planted trees. Johnny had a good attitude about him; the book reiterates several times that everything in life works just fine. This book was pretty boring to me, although I have a disposition towards fantasy or science fiction so that may be part of the problem. Parts of the book rhymed, which made it a little more fun to read. Overall the kids that I read to thought this book was average; I agree with their assess ...more
Tracey
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Audio; American folklore (and stories about history) - read by different narrators.

1. Johnny Appleseed / by Reeve Lindbergh - skipped (annoyed by repetitive background music and reader's cheery voice).
2. Martin's big words / by Doreen Rappaport - nice.
3. Players in pigtails / by Shana Corey - women's baseball during WW2; includes songs at end (pleasant enough).
4. This land is your land / written and sung by Woody Guthrie - includes biography of Woody with music clips samples.
Gabriellaconceicao
Awards: None

Appropriate Grade Level: PreK-3rd Grade

Summary: This book relates to the life of John Chapman. His distribution of apple seeds and trees made him a legend. Johnny Appleseed left a legacy that is still enjoyed everyday.

Review: This book is a great way to teach children about the past. The illustrations are very creative and detailed. This book is a child friendly story that young students can understand.

In-class uses: 1)to teach about Johnny Appleseed 2)for fun
Maddie Smith
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
My practicum IIE 1st grade classroom read this book in celebration of Johnny's birthday. The book was a short biography of Johnny's life and how he became known as Johnny Appleseed. They seemed to love it, and enjoy the rhyming that was present throughout the story. I thought there could have been a little more detail. The age range for this book is early-middle elementary.
Christina
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This poem book has traveled with me through my elementary years and was always a favorite. Good book to go along with the rememberance of johnny appleseed and the godly deed he did for 6 states. It is a catchy book because of the poem setup it has. First read this book in kindergarden and read it at least once every elementary school year since then. Great book for teachers to incorporate.
Natalie Traylor
Nov 23, 2015 added it
Shelves: folk
This story is about the adventure that Johnny Appleseed goes on. He walked place-to-place planting seeds to grow apple trees. Today, his legend is still celebrated.

One activity to do with this book is to have students sample various types of apples and create a Venn Diagram of ways they are similar and different.
Whitney Bailey
Classic tale of Johnny Appleseed which can be retold to every grade throughout elementary school. The teacher could even have a guest "Johnny Appleseed" come into the classroom and read it to them. Deals with the classic tale of Johnny Appleseed retold once agian, and can be used to study apples and classic tales.
Marcie Master
Nov 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This poem book has traveled with me through my elementary years and was always a favorite. Good book to go along with the remembrance of johnny appleseed and the godly deed he did for 6 states. It is a catchy book because of the poem setup it has. First read this book in kindergarden and read it at least once every elementary school year since then. Great book for teachers to incorporate.
Phuong Dao
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-study
This book talks about Johhny Appleseed. His real name is John Chapman. He is a conservationist who belives to save the environment by keeping everything clean and safe. He travel around the states to plant many different appleseed just so we have apple to eat. This is a good book to teach children to recycle and keep the environment clean.
Ashley Wampler
Sep 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: folk-tales
My class is learning about some American Heroes and we began the unit with Johnny Appleseed. This book had great illustrations, and thoroughly explained the life of John Chapman, fondly and more commonly known as Johnny Appleseed. It explains how and why he began spreading apple trees all over Ohio, and traveled from place to place.
Mayda
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s, poetry
This charming book is a lovely way to introduce children to the character of Johnny Appleseed. The author does an excellent job of conveying the mission of Johnny Appleseed and the benefits he bestowed on future generations. The beautiful folk art paintings by Kathy Jakobsen add much appeal to this folk hero's story.
Amber Henrie
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a super fun story about the legend of Johnny Appleseed. It tells the story of him traveling the country, planting apple trees and helping people. The illustrations were beautifully done. I really enjoyed this book.
Teresa
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
The tale of Johnny Appleseed has been written into a poem and tells the story of how Johnny Appleseed shared his trees and seeds and helped establish apple trees throughout the land.
This is a modern day tale of Johnny Appleseed and the story is presented in a way for children to enjoy.
Adriel
Very focused on the myth of the nature loving american mythic Johnny Appleseed, the illustrations are lovely and the poem charming to read. I like the vegan Johnny Appleseed refusing to harm any of God's creatures. Perfect autumnal read.
Matthew Hunter
Lindbergh's poem about Johnny Appleseed is fine; Jakobsen's artwork is divine. Booklist calls it "An eye-catching book." Understatement! The paintings steal the show, and then some. The kids couldn't get enough of Kathy Jakobsen's folk art. I couldn't either. Very highly recommended.
  • First Snow in the Woods: A Photographic Fantasy
  • The Boy Who Drew Birds: A Story of John James Audubon
  • Johnny Appleseed: A Tall Tale
  • Ben Franklin and the Magic Squares
  • Ruby Bridges Goes To School: My True Story
  • Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • The Principal's New Clothes
  • Galimoto
  • If You Lived In Colonial Times
  • A Medieval Feast
  • A Balloon for Isabel
  • Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf
  • Gingerbread for Liberty!: How a German Baker Helped Win the American Revolution
  • Nurse, Soldier, Spy: The Story of Sarah Edmonds, a Civil War Hero
Children's author, novelist, and poet Reeve Lindbergh is the daughter of world-renowned aviator Charles Lindbergh and his wife, the talented writer Anne Morrow Lindbergh.
More about Reeve Lindbergh

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99