Start by marking “Tall, Dark and Deadly (FBI #1)” as Want to Read:
Tall, Dark and Deadly (FBI #1)

Tall, Dark and Deadly (FBI #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  624 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Grace Jordan is leaving her dark past behind. Having traded in her big-city badge for life in the slow lane in Rockville, South Dakota, Grace and her daughter were hoping to make a fresh, clean start. But crime is at-large in small towns, too…and young women keep turning up brutally murdered. Before she knows it, Grace has got a serial murder case on her hands—and the infu ...more
Published March 31st 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Tall, Dark and Deadly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tall, Dark and Deadly

jenjn79
Mar 28, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommended to jenjn79 by: random buy
I don't give out a 1-star rating lightly. In the 1500 or so romance books I've read, less than 20 were 1-star, but for this book, I felt like I couldn't do anything but give it a 1-star. There were so many holes in this book, so many places it fell apart. When I finished reading, I took out a piece of paper and made a list of all the issues I had with it so I wouldn't forget the big points for my review...and I ended up with 14 items listed. 14! And they weren't really minor things either. If I ...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009-reads
Let me think of something good to say about "Tall, Dark and Deadly" by Lorie O'Clare: the sex was hot, assuming you like light BDSM. But I have to say that the rest of the story was as believable as the man in the moon.

Grace has pulled herself up after the horrors of being held as a sexual prisoner for five years. Now, ten years later, she's a successful cop and has moved to a small town to raise her daughter; the beloved result of that horrible abuse. When a series of murders which include tor
Chan
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Writing: Gaps, gaps, gaps galore. Lorie O’Clarie has the suspense thing down but the other stuff could use some work. Lorie would introduce new things but then never explain them. I don’t need the entire story wrapped in a pretty bow, but not everything should be left open-ended either. 3rd Person Narration. 3 or 4 POVs.

Characters: Justin & Grace are the MCs. They came off as highly sexual. Given Grace’s past this was a little strange. Also, we are repeatedly told that Grace is really good
Red
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lets see...where to start....First off the story itself was fantastic. Grace was a wonderful female lead. She was strong and for the most part independent with just enough vunerabilities that Justin could help her along the way. I really enjoyed the suspense of this book and it really kept me on the edge of my seat. For this to be the first book in this series the author did fantastic job and I can't wait to read the second. The end was just as fantastic as the beginning!!!! GREAT JOB!!!!!

WARNI
Jo (My House of Books)
I'd seem the cover for the final book in this series in an advertisement -- you should know by now that covers pull me in. And since I have to begin a series with ... the first book ... I decided I'd give Ms. O'Clare a try.

Romantic suspense is a genre (subgenre?) I don't read much of. I'm not sure why exactly; it's just not an area I gravitate toward. So I'm not "qualified" to say whether a romantic suspense is good or not. I thought this one had potential, until Grace's thoughts about Justin, w
Serena
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
The killer was crazy and the author keep me guess who the killer was the whole time. That Part made the book great. There was a few hot love sense but nothing really just amazing on that front, but for me the story madeup for the love sense. The ex wife I never could figure out what the heck her problem was other then just being a major b*%#^. I am hoping the next book is as soon or better.
Jill
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
I liked it, it took me a little bit to get into it, but overall it was good, loved Justin!
Jane Stewart
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Pretty good for romantic suspense, if you don’t mind some holes, loose ends and illogical thinking.

STORY BRIEF:
Grace was kidnapped at age 18 by Master. He kept her locked in a mansion for 5 years as a sex slave prisoner until she set it on fire, saw him burn, and escaped. While there, she was humiliated, tortured and shared with others. She later became a homicide detective. She moves to Rockville, S. Dakota, to work as a police detective. As soon as she arrives, a serial killer begin
Barbara ★
The prologue almost had me putting this book down. It's very disturbing and not my thing at all. Here is the first paragraph :

There are two kinds of women in the world - those you screwed and those you married. It wasn't a rule he'd made up. It was simply how it was. Some women were best at raising children, keeping a presentable home and life in order. Others were best on their backs, offering pleasure, and taking it like the good little sluts that they were. They were two separate breeds. If a
Danielle
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
*Fans self* I have not a clue where to begin. I ended up lost in borders romance section and found this. Cover hot (check), summary interesting, (check) and now time to pay (check). This is my first ever Lorie O'Clare book and I fell in love. I have never had a book boyfriend, but what I know is that I want the hot, sexy, FBI Agent Justin Reece. *swoons*

Grace Jordan was kidnapped at age 18 by someone known as "Master". He kept her locked in a mansion for 5 years as a sex slave prisoner until she
Laurie Garrison
Feb 23, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance-suspense
I’m really having a hard time writing this review. As a few of you know suspense is not really in my category in reading, so I haven’t decided if this is my problem with this book or if it just wasn’t as good as it should be. I do know I dont get into a long on going crime invesgation, If you are a fan of crime invesgation this would be to your liking.

Spoilers below
This book did hold my attention, but I felt it had holes in the crime and storyline. Grace and Justin connected but she with held
1 1/2 to 2 stars
Didn't like this one. It is the first in a series and I don't plan on reading any more in the series. My biggest complaint is the use of the f-word. Yes, it can be used in erotic romance novels, but it was overused and not in a good way. It was rather irritating, distracting, and quite frankly, a turn-off.
The characters were too contradictory. They did things that didn't seem to fit with the character. I don't think I can completely explain it--they just didn't seem to fit. Grac
Melanie Chabrol-
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
TALL DARK AND DEADLY, JUST LIKE A 7 COURSE MEAL, WELL PRESENTED, APPETIZING,FULFILLING, VERY DELICIOUS. This is my first book by Lorrie O'Clare, the title got my attn, and it is not the half naked man on the cover.
Grace was the big 18 and this is when you would vote, be legal and make your own decisions, not this time... Her innocence was taken away from a male shovenist and after 10 years it took alot of therapy and to start over.

Grace accepted a position in a small town away from the big city
Jenn
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotic-suspense
This is one hot, sexy book with an amazing, gripping storyline. A female cop moves to a small town for a safer environment for her daughter is caught up in gruesome murders that seem aimed at her and her past.

An FBI agent is called in, as it's is hometown and sparks fly between the two. With his limited knowledge of her past, which she furious he dug up, they work together to find the murderer. It keeps leading back to her....to HIM who should be dead but is not, is he?

You can't put the book dow
Sammy
Oct 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sandra
May 18, 2011 rated it did not like it
The hero annoyed me so much I couldn't even finish this one. I hate books were the hero basically disregards everything the heroine says about not being interested and overwhelms her with sex. When a man keeps pursuing you and kissing you and not taking no for an answer in real life it is called STALKING and in it is not romantic or sexy in any way. It also makes the heroine appear weak and pathetic needing a big strong man to tell her what to do. It was particulary disturbing in this book as th ...more
Cyndi
Oct 15, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the first mainstream Lorie O'Clare book I have read. It was OK. I felt like not all of the story was fleshed out very well (no pun intended). The ending was so abrupt that it was almost a non-event. I did like both of the main characters, but I think the author could have given them a little more development. Scenes changed so fast in this story that I found it easy to walk away and take breaks from the book.
Linda
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I wanted to like it, and i usually enjoy reading Lorie OClare but this one just rubbed me the wrong way. Cliche with her mother being irresponsible and influensing her younger sister, and when shes supposed to share a bathroom at her grandmothers with a bachelor, and starts off with "yuck, has he ever cleaned here? Wheres the vacuum" i just gave up. Ive got to many good reads coming up to force myself through it. Maybe another day? It could get better, i guess. ...more
Donna Crawbuck
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I knew nothing about this book but had read "Men of Danger" featuring Lorie O'Clare's "Love Me 'til Death". So I looked her up for a future read. Not what I would of thought would be my kind of book, but I loved it. I had a hard time putting it down. The book had a lot of graphic scenes that only added to the story. I am starting Long, Lean and Lethal tomorrow.
Pamela(AllHoney)
The first book in the FBI series by Lorie O'Clare. I didn't hate it but I did feel a lack of something between the hero/heroine. I do agree that the story was unbelievable. One important element is keeping my interest. It did.
Robyn
Sep 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am very disappointed this book had women being raped and brutally killed and nothing was mentioned in plot,considering that is where I draw the line. As I avoid this kind of nature in my reading I was quite annoyed.
Marie Keagy
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this book. Although I was kind of tired of her. Not sure why? Maybe because she was trying to be too tough and fighting the attraction too much. If it wasn't for that I would have given a strong 4 stars.
Afia
Nov 18, 2014 rated it liked it
I really liked the book but It was hard for me to understand Grace. It took me time. I loved Justin and Grace together and everything was amazing. It was quite obvious from the beginning that who the real culprit was and I like guessing till the very end so that was kinda off for me
Lisa
Apr 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book kept me on edge to keep reading, I wanted to find out more about the killer, a few times I thought it might been someone from the town that Grace moved to start her life over. Great Book, love it!
Debbie
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Totally AWESOME!!! But, also very intense. I would recommend this book to everyone even though I know there will be some people who may not be able to deal with some parts of the book. Deals with kidnapping, Rape, sodomy, torture, dominance and bondage.
Kim Chadwick
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-thriller
Pretty good read. The writing style of the author was sometimes lacking and poorly edited, however not bad enough to keep me from reading it. The attraction and romance of the main characters was hot and the mystery/ thriller aspect kept me guessing. All in all it was a great book.
Weepingbeauty
Jun 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
I would have loved to see this brilliant plot handled by someone like Jeffrey Deaver or Val McDermid. Unfortunately it was ruined by trying to turn a very good story with and interesting plot into a Black Lace
Kay
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Dark but very good.
Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-romance
When I got this book, I was expecting pure smut. To my surprise, it was much more story than sex-and good story at that! This was a great book and I will be picking up the next in this series.
Ivy
Jan 14, 2009 rated it did not like it
Can I give a book negative stars? Oh, what this author does to the English language I wouldn't do to a dog.
The Ultimate ABC ...: Tall, Dark and Deady by Lori O'Clare 1 1 Mar 14, 2012 05:22AM
  • Zack (Armed and Dangerous #1)
  • Desperate Deeds (A-Tac, #3)
  • Too Hot to Hold (Hold Trilogy, #2)
  • Finding Her Son (Carder Texas Connections, #1)
  • Clay (Louisiana Gentleman #4)
  • The Justice Way (3-in-1)
  • Hailey's Secret (Passion Victoria #6)
  • Doubling on Denise (Raider's Bodyguard Service #4)
  • Shoot to Thrill (Passion For Danger, #1)
  • Illeanna (Orchidea: Love on the Bayou, #2)
  • A Contract Bride's Triple Surprise  (Bride Train, #2)
  • A Taste of Scarlet (Treeland Pack Tales)
  • The Secret (Paranormal Series I, #3)
  • Last Chance (Last Chance Rescue, #6)
  • On Thin Ice (T-FLAC #6)
  • Freefall (High Risk #1)
  • Protector (Dark Ops, #4)
  • Wyoming Lawman (The Women of Swan's Nest, #2)
Also writes under the pen name Laurie Fitzgerald.

Lorie O'Clare was born in 1965 in San Diego, CA. She's the oldest of three children and for the first part of her life traveled with her family, living in many Midwestern states, Iowa, Missouri, Indiana and finally Kansas. She graduated from high school in 1983 as a junior and began her college life at age 17. She received a double major in English
More about Lorie O'Clare...

FBI (3 books)
  • Long, Lean and Lethal (FBI #2)
  • Strong, Sleek and Sinful (FBI #3)