Start by marking “Ecstasy” as Want to Read:
Ecstasy

Ecstasy

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  7,409 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
With three wickedly funny and harrowing tales of love and its ups and downs, the ever-surprising Irvine Welsh, author of Trainspotting, virtually re-invents a new genre of fiction: the chemical romance. In "Lorraine goes to Livingston," a best-selling author of Regency romances, paralysed and bedridden, plans her revenge on a gambling, whoring husband with the aid of her n ...more
Published July 30th 1996 by J. Cape (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Ecstasy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ecstasy

JK
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You all know how I feel about Welsh. His crass, brazen stories filled with shock, drugs, and all kinds of abuse, absolutely thrill and delight me. Every new release of his I will devour rather than savour, subsequently churning out reviews filled with crazed praise and fangirl ramblings. This time I decided to go back to his earlier work and treat myself to something more raw and rough.

Ecstasy is comprised of three short stories, all in relation to chemical romances and relationships. This is th
Emma
May 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really disturbing, but I remember this as a great read nonetheless. Welsh has the ability to make the hair stand up on the back of your neck with deceptively simple descriptions of wholly credible human callousness and abuse, peppered with characters that you know you met at some party or other, late one night... Hideous but awesome in equal quantities. I really enjoyed his writing style.
Παύλος
Αγώνας σχεδόν καθημερινός για δύο χρόνια μέχρι να καταφέρω να βρω το συγκεκριμένο διαμάντι. Ερωτήσεις σε όλα τα βιβλιοπωλεία, μικρά και μεγάλα, στον κ.Νίκο Χατζόπουλο (ιδιοκτήτη του Οξέως) και σε φόρουμ. Τελικά βρέθηκε και δε πρόκειται να το αποχωριστώ.

Τρεις ιστορίες όλες εμποτισμένες με την αβεβαιότητα και τον φόβο των ναρκωτικών. Πρωταγωνιστές είναι η γενιά του acid house και του techno οι οποίοι ζουν ουσιαστικά μόνο τα Σαββατοκύριακα μέσα στη δίνη των χαπιών και των πάρτυ.

Στην πρώτη ιστορία
Kaliska
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Three Tales of Chemical Romance is a collection of three stories:
Lorraine Goes to Livingstone
Fortune's Always Hiding: A Corporate Romance
The Undefeated: An Acid House Romance

Lorraine Goes to Livingstone is a strangely feminist story - an 'historical (read: trashy) romance' writer, Rebecca, suffers a stroke and ends up in hospital, striking up an initially one-sided friendship with a sexually confused young Scottish nurse, Lorraine. Rebecca's writing style changes drastically- her work including
Sara Williams
“It was the books I started reading. It was the music I started listening to. It was the television I started watching. I found myself thinking again. I tried to stop because it was only causing pain. I couldn't. When all this is in your head it has to come out into your life. If it doesn't, you get crushed. I'm not going to get crushed.”

My first Irvine Welsh.
I purchased quite a few of his books for a very cheap price (unfortunately the iconic Trainspotting wasn't on the list, neither was Fil
Stephanie
Okay...so all three of these stories created very very different feelings in me. The first one was sick and twisted and made me laugh, the second one made me cringe a bit and feel slightly depressed, and the last one I thought was a very sweet love story. This book has a LOT of foul language, so enter at your own risk.
Nick Davies
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Three stories - the first two of which were brilliant, the last a bit long and pointless though not without charm - which properly illustrate Welsh at his best. Witty, shocking, touching in places.. I also thought the author's wider range of subjects/characters showed his talents to the full. Despite never having really been part of any of the 'scenes' touched on in depth in these stories, I did however gain a lot of pleasure from remembering younger and more carefree times in my youth.
John
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God I love how this man writes. I'm mean he's funny and he's clever but it's the romantic in him that I love. His ability to find the beauty in the warts and all
Sam
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Irvine Welsh. I start every review on here of one of his books with that because I think it'll be very difficult for me to ever be too critical of his work. This is no real departure from what I've known to love but I still lapped it up. The first story of the three is slightly more bizarre than I've come to expect but still entertaining. The second was an ideal example of the short-story format, yet scarificed none of Welsh's 'everyday' life characterisation - it was utterly depraved, wh ...more
Morgue Anne
Jan 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of "Drug Novels"
Yet another great book on drugs. This is actually three stories in one book, each story told from several different perspectives. You meet a stream of loveable and not so loveable characters and some hardcore cockney spellings that will force you to reread a few pages. Great for fans of Party Monster/Disco Bloodbath, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, and the like. If you're into books with that wonderful, disconnected voice of an author who has done more than his fair share of, well, Ecstasy.
Andreia Reis
Nov 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ADOREIIII!!!!!!
Mas que bela surpresa.
Sem duvida alguma que quero ler mais coisas deste escritor.
^_^
Rachel McQuoid
I'm not even sure why I read this, I don't even like his style. I can't understand the accents
Joe
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, irvine-welsh
Anyone familiar with Irvine Welsh will know that anything goes once you open one of his books. In particular, to expect hefty portions of the following: beastly protagonists, drugs, hooliganism, drugs, extreme violence, casual (and realistic depictions of) sex, and did I mention drugs? His 1996 collection of novellas adds two more to that list: necrophilia and bestiality. Oh yes, you are in for a treat. Because Welsh being Welsh, he writes all of this candidly and brazenly. Nothing is taboo with ...more
Holly
Jan 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not the type of book I would normally read, but the bold, ballsy cover art seduced me and I was hooked. Before 'Ecstasy' I'd never read an Irvine Welsh book but had flirted with the idea for a number of years. Considering the number of successful film adaptations his novels have spawned (think Danny Boyle's 'Trainspotting' or most recently 'Filth') I didn't doubt Welsh's talent but more the confrontational nature of his graphic and typically grotesque subject matter. With this book howev ...more
João Moura
Ao contrário de outros autores em que queremos nos deliciar lentamente com cada frase e página, Irvine Welsh coloca-nos como os junkies dos seus livros, a devorar página atrás de página, até colarmos as peças do puzzle que ele vai deixando e percebermos como tudo acaba...
Ecstasy é mais um grande livro sobre drogas, intercalado com música, futebol (hooliganismo) e o que os seus intervenientes pensam ser amor. Viciante, sujo e hilariante como sempre, consegue ainda intercalar personagens e históri
Anthony
Aug 13, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found the three short stories in this collection to be completely implausible. I initially chose to read this book because I assumed it would realistically portray the underground life of club-goers and the highs and lows of ecstasy use. Needless to say, it did not deliver on either facet.
On a side note, I personally think that the transcribing of the Scottish dialect phonetically really deters from the stories themselves, for I found myself getting bogged down more often than not in trying
Mark Barrett
Three typically harsh tales from Welsh. Not among his greatest works, but thoroughly recommended for fans. I wouldn't advise coming to this collection for your first experience of Welsh, though. There are some great moments - the acid trip monologue in the final story is hilarious - but not that many. Enjoyable.
Neri.
Oct 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't liked this book. It was boring, pretencious and all the irish dialect words made it hard to read. No particular plot was found in any of three strories and a no good character development either.
El Cuaderno de Chris
Muy diferente a lo que estoy acostumbrado, pero sorprendido por la forma. Tres relatos fantásticos, sin embargo el tercero decae un poco logrando en la segunda parte volver a tomar el ritmo de las anteriores historias. Se podría decir que son historias de amor y de libertad, de dejar el pasado.
Julia
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know how you look away when watching a gruesome movie to be spared the most horrible scene? Ever done that when reading a gruesome book? This book made me look away. And then, because you can't help it, you continue reading...
The first story is not worth your time. The second two are pretty good. It's a dated collection, since drugs and ecstasy are the relating theme. Only a must for Welsh fans, I think.
Steve
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical Welsh fun, 3 stories...2 stars for the first, 3.5 for the second, 5 for the last.
Natalya
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know, I am finding it difficult to express my opinion about IW's brill writing without the use of expletives.
Brandon
eh. the first story was my favorite.
Marianne
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By far, the most twisted book I've ever read.
Hanaa
2.5/5
Gemma Innes
I have been meaning to try Welsh for a while and since I enjoyed the film Ecstasy i thought this as good a place to start as any.

I felt a little disappointed in this book, however i think this was solely down to my own personal tastes. I found that the use of language and scenes evidently designed to elicit shock in the reader were overdone to the point where they lost all shock value and just felt crass and unnecessary to the story development. Although the use of constant swearing in the secon
Lucas Albor
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Éxtasis se componen de tres relatos independientes: Lorraine va Livingston, La fortuna siempre se oculta y Los indestructibles. En principio, los hilos conductores son el amor y las drogas sintéticas. Sin embargo, en cada uno de los textos se abordan cuestiones muy diferentes entre sí.

Voy a centrarme en el tercero de ellos, ya que me pareció el más logrado y precisamente en el que mejor se exponen las figuras que utiliza Irvine Welsh.

El argumento de Los indestructibles es relativamente simple, y
Kevin Treweeks
You know what you are going to get from Irvine Welsh
Sex drugs and house music generally, and more drugs, and violence, and more drugs
Ecstasy delivers all this in spades with three compelling short stories.
I particularly enjoyed the chemical romance of Lloyd and Heather, who leaves her sell out husband after he not only abandons his socialist principles for Blairism, and worse, changes football clubs!
Anna
Dec 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Un libro terribile che racconta storie quasi surreali in un mondo fatto di droga e ricerca di qualcosa di diverso rispetto alle brutture della realtà che altro non fanno, alla fine, che rendere tutto ancora più squallido e triste. Non mi è piaciuto.
I'm excited to read this. 2 18 Jun 07, 2012 01:33AM
  • Trainspotting: A Screenplay (Based on the Novel by Irvine Welsh)
  • Altered State: The Story of Ecstasy Culture and Acid House
  • Children of Albion Rovers
  • Български хроники, том 3 (Български хроники, #3)
  • What Would Keith Richards Do?: Daily Affirmations from a Rock and Roll Survivor
  • Camere separate
  • The Demon
  • A Bee Stung Me So I Killed All the Fish
  • Threepenny Memoir: The Lives of a Libertine
  • Нощем с белите коне
  • Hella Nation: Looking for Happy Meals in Kandahar, Rocking the Side Pipe, Wingnut's WarAgainst the GAP, and Other Adventures with the Totally Lost Tribes of America
  • Julia and the Bazooka and Other Stories
  • 24-Hour Party People
Probably most famous for his gritty depiction of a gang of Scottish Heroin addicts, Trainspotting, Welsh focuses on the darker side of human nature and drug use. All of his novels are set in his native Scotland and filled with anti-heroes, small time crooks and hooligans. Welsh manages, however to imbue these characters with a sad humanity that makes them likable despite their obvious scumbaggerry ...more
More about Irvine Welsh...

“When two people were in love you had to leave them to it. Especially when you weren't in love and wished that you were. That could embarrass. That could hurt.” 44 likes
“It was the books I started reading.
I couldn't.
Wen all this is in your head it has to come out into your life. If it doesn't, you get crushed. I'm not going to get crushed.”
21 likes