Start by marking “The Patience of a Dead Man” as Want to Read:
The Patience of a Dead Man

The Patience of a Dead Man

He just spent everything on a house in disrepair, but he didnt know someone was waiting inside.

Tim Russell just put his last dollar on a handymans dream; a quaint but dilapidated farmhouse in New Hampshire. Newly single after a messy divorce, his plan is to live in the house as he restores it for resale. To his horror, as soon as the papers are signed and his work starts,
Published August 2019 by Michael Clark Books (first published April 15th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Patience of a Dead Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Patience of a Dead Man

Start your review of The Patience of a Dead Man
Melki
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I write this, I live in fear of the woman that roams the property; I do not know her name yet, but be careful. She has not harmed me but my intuition . . . and experience . . . tells me to stay clear!

After an acrimonious divorce, Tim sinks everything he has left into a rundown New Hampshire horse farm. His plan is to refurbish the place, then flip it for a tidy profit. He didn't count on some former residents still lingering around the premises: a young boy, an invisible, guiding presence,
Sjgomzi
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-list-2020
Not your typical haunted house story. Part mystery, part haunted house tale. Clark is a fantastic writer. The main characters are The damaged, flawed kind of protagonists I love, the kind that dont have all the answers and find themselves guessing and bungling their way through the mysteries presented and some truly creepy situations. Great supporting characters, and the jumps backward and forward in time, that take place throughout the story, never slow things down. This backstory that slowly ...more
Irene
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Tim is recently divorced and close to bankrupt after his ex wife took most of their assets and tied up the sale of their home for 5 years. Losing the biggest part of his business but unable to fathom no longer being his own boss he takes what money he has left and sinks it into a dilapidated farmhouse hoping to fix it up and turn a big enough profit to get back on his feet. From the moment he takes possession of the house there are spooky happenings and strange sounds that simply should not be, ...more
Well Read Beard
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
4.5 Stars

I have said it time and time again, I am a setting guy. I love vivid sprawling settings in my books. The setting is often my favorite character - example: The Overlook, Hogwarts. This book checked that box for me in a major way. The 23 acre property and house that we are free to romp around and explore are extremely detailed which makes you feel like you ARE there. You find out later, this is in the author's bio so I don't think it can be considered a spoiler, that Michael grew up in
Amie's Book Reviews
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Firstly I want to mention the exquisitely terror inducing cover of this book. The color scheme along with the inclusion of buzzing flies instantly tells the potential reader this is a horror story. The shadowy figures that are slightly blurred adds to the sense of impending doom. Even the choice of font is perfect. The cover of THE PATIENCE OF A DEAD MAN is exactly the type of cover that would catch my eye and would prompt me to pick this book up in a bookstore and/or library.

When our
Robin Hebert
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creepy!! Good read

Easy read, captured my interest from the beginning and never really slowed down. Characters are likeable, well, except for one of them....😆
Jessicasavage
It was hard for me to get into it
Bookmark Beth
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Recently divorced, a man purchases an old farmhouse in New Hampshire that he intends to flip. The man (Tim) decides to live there during its restoration. He soon discovers the home is haunted as ghosts appeara pale faced young boy and a woman whos covered in flies, accompanied by a strong rotten stench.

Faced with a choice to make, Tim realizes hes in too much of a financial bind to jump ship. (Or run like a bat out of hell.)

With the help of his real estate agent, they work together to find a
Carolyn Strength
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just finished Michael Clark's first book. Where's the next one?

It's after 3:00 a.m. and I have just finished this book. Any loss of sleep I have "suffered" has been well worth it. The story is very unique, the living characters are wonderful and most of the of the no-longer-living characters are somewhat lovable. Of course, you have got to have some characters to really dislike. (Grrrrrr). I highly recommend this book. My only question is, "WHERE'S THE NEXT ONE"?

Thank you, Michael Clark.
Christine Hunter
Apt Title

I don't know where to start. This book is an excellent example of a heart in the throat, can't put it down scary story. I loved it. It's fast paced and you keep thinking "just one more chapter". And the chapters are short enough so you keep repeating " just one more ". If you enjoy scary, if you love the spine tingles, then read this book. It's a winner!
Jackie
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
A truly amazing creepy yet gripping page turner! A new to me author I was delighted to read this book!! Truly awesome writing that sucked me in and kept me up till 3am to finish it! Kept me Guessing right till the end! I was excited to have the second book ready to go for the next days read because I couldnt wait to see what was next! A must read and new favorite thrilling author!! ...more
Mary
May 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kept my attention from the first page to the last
Susan The Book Dragon Campton
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, paranormal
Hello my fellow Book Dragons and welcome to this weeks Freakish Friday. What a Gem we have today! A real topper to head into the weekend, especially if it has been a hard week for you and you need to bury the hatchet. This little Gem sits in it glass box, enclosed, we cannot take it out, its rather creepy. A bit of what appears to be black onyx carved into the shape of a fly with crystal wings and iridescent eyes. Just when you think its perfectly still and take your eyes away, you notice the ...more
Jessica
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the author for the free copy in exchange for my honest review

I wasnt entirely sure what to expect when going into this book. I knew it was going to be a thriller and there were some supernatural elements to it. I loved this combination and I was pleasantly surprised with how captivated I was. A haunted house story that doesnt feel like the rest of them.

Tim is newly divorced and wants to find a project to sink himself into. He finds an old farmhouse that is in desperate need of a
Windi Inns
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
This was the first book Ive read in this genre. Ive been a snob when it comes to anything pertaining to ghosts or haunting because I felt it just wasnt for me. Thankfully, I felt I should give this one a chance since I was given an ARC. Whoa!

I was pulled in from the very beginning and just HAD to know what was going to happen next with Tim Russell and the not so vacant farmhouse he plans to renovate.

Needless to say, my mind has opened up trying new genres and I cant wait to see what there is
Linda B. Vuono
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not your average thriller

Great story right from the start! I think the planning of the plot was meticulous and very creative! The characters could have been a little more well formed, but they started becoming more real towards the end of the story. Hopefully, there will be a continuation of the story or characters.
Lynn
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I received The Patience of a Dead Man through a Goodreads Giveaway.

I'm not sure what I was expecting when I received this book. I was curious about the concept, but I immediately judged the book by the cover and as such, kept procrastinating reading the book. I finally broke down and read it, and my god, I do not regret it one bit. The book is fantastic, kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the read! The details given were just enough to let my imagination do the work, rather than hold my
Janet
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read!

If you like fast paced, detail oriented ghost stories with a twist......this book is for you!!! The only reason I didnt finish it on a day or two is because adulting got on the way....its definitely a page turner! Cant wait for his next book to come out (going by the title, it sounds like a continuation)!
Kelly Knapp
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dead men do tell tales

Terrific writing, smooth fast read. Just as you think the mystery is solved, another ghost shows up. Is there a way to appease these entities? Or is Tim about to join these beings?

Kimberley
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Wow of a Chiller!

I was hooked from the start of this chilling ghost story! I would liken it to the works of Stephen King. Suspenseful, creepy, and very creative. It will have you looking over your shoulders! Excellent writing and I would rate it higher if I could. Looking forward to more! Thanks for the opportunity to read!
BETTY SHEREN
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was well written and it held my interest from the very start. I don't always like ghost or horror mysteries. However this book was so enthralling that you will not be disappointed. I highly recommend " The Patience of a Dead Man"
Tracie Phinney
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wish it had not taken me so.long.

Could only read when I had down time,I enjoyed it so much!Great job Mike!I look forward to reading more from you.
Gary Leibl
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book. It is very well written and is hard to put down. I will recommend this book to anyone who loves a good ghost story. I am looking forward to reading Michael's next book.
Kathy Church
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creepy and Good

This book was really creepy but very good. I lived in an apartment years ago that was haunted, they were not evil spirits,so the haunting brings back some memories.
Marsha  Bernabe
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

I did not know what to expect from the beginning, however I was very pleasantly surprised to find out how amazing the story was! Bravo!
Erin Hudgens
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness! The ghost story in this is AWESOME. I loved it!! The only reason I gave it for stars were some parts felt a bit clunky, but TOTALLY worth it, cuz its chilling. Recommend for sure!! 🙌 ...more
Jennifer Hunt
DO NOT read this by yourself after dark. The Patience of a Dead Man is so well written, I could see, smell, hear and feel the ghosts in the room with me as I read. Clark incorporates mystery, loss and romance into this decades-old tale of horror. If I could give it 6 stars, I would!
Crystal B. Johnson
Loved It!!!

I am glad this book came across my Kindle. I was aimlessly browsing through different horror books and. couldn't find anything that held my attention.. Then along comes Mr. Clark. I can't wait for his next books. Great job!
Embergin
May 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful

Great read. Very Well written. I was captivated from page 1. If you like suspense you will love this book.

• Shepherd's Warning (The Elders Book 1)
  • Next Day Gone
  • Ghostland
  • The Roo
  • When the Shit Hits the Van (The Neon Owl #1)
  • The Haunting of Lannister Hall
  • The Deep
  • The Cult Called Freedom House (Sophia Rey #1)
  • The Road to Delano
  • Forest Underground
  • Found Shadows
  • Crescent City Moon: Crescent City Series: Book 1
  • Dovetail
Check out the FREE STUFF on my website... Autographs, short stories, and more to come.
My promise: I won't share your info with anyone.

Michael Clark was raised in New Hampshire and lived in the house The Patience of a Dead Man is based on.

He now lives in Massachusetts with his wife Josi and his dog Bubba.
The Patience of a Dead Man is his first novel, and Dead