Start by marking “Spent Identity (Annalisse Series #2)” as Want to Read:
Spent Identity (Annalisse Series #2)

Spent Identity

(Annalisse Series #2)

"The story is welcoming and vibrant, and much of it is nuanced and warm. When Bell aims for fun adventure, she hits the bull's-eye." - Booklife Review

"...Bell keeps her well-paced story moving. Her use of dialogue to drive the narrative is excellent and she sticks the twist ending nicely, one of the harder tricks to pull off in this genre. Her characters are vivid and spot
Published December 11th 2019 by Ewephoric

To ask other readers questions about Spent Identity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spent Identity

Start your review of Spent Identity (Annalisse Series #2)
Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
“When my mind wanders, it is always to you.”

Spent Identity is surely exactly everything that it is marketed as: romantic and suspenseful.

I should mention that I haven’t read the first book in this series but this book can stand on it’s own in my opinion. If you are interested in reading Spent Identity and are wondering if the first book needs to be read before getting into this one: I completely understood everything that was happening, you’ll be fine.

— overall thoughts: 3.5 —

First of all, (
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I'm not sure where to start with my review other than to hold on to your seat because it is going to be a fast and furious ride!

This is the second book in the series and while it could be read on its own, it might be best to pick up the first book to get a feel for the characters and the background.  The book provides plenty of details to lay a foundation for what occurred in case you choose not to read Stolen Obsession, so it isn't an absolute must.

The story picks up with Annalisse and Alec and
Dianne
The book opens with Annalisse heading to the farm she saw as home and the aunt who raised her for comfort, regrouping and advice. What she finds is a dead body, a family member threatening to sell the beloved farm just as her aunt goes missing. Unresolved romantic issues from the previous book, I assume will flare and Annalisse will find herself in the middle of a tsunami of trouble, deceit and danger-THEN the plot thickens!

SPENT IDENTITY by Marlene M. Bell is a murder mystery with tentacles rea
Sophia
I had a cover love moment- pretty flowers yet ominous feeling- that led me to reading the blurb which led me to deciding I had to read this one. New to me author and series just added to the excitement.

Spent Identity is the second in the Annalisse series of romantic suspenses. I did all right reading it out of order, but that said, I think I would have gotten more out of it reading in order so that's what I recommend.

The book opens with a short prologue of a man finding a body. Ironically, he wa
Tangled in Text
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read the first book in the series, but it is not necessary. Spent Identity can be read as a stand alone. It had enough little snapshots into the previous book that you are not left feeling like you are missing a piece of the puzzle.

I loved Spent Identity because there was never a slow moment. The story had a great energy and was action-packed. There was so much going on that I never had the chance to guess at the culprit. I stayed glued to the edge of my seat the entire book! There was never
InD'tale Magazine
It will keep the reader turning the page to the very end.

Read full review in the 2020 February issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Kristine Hall
4.5 STARS. What hits readers from the very first lines of SPENT IDENTITY is the smell. Reading SPENT IDENTITY is as much an olfactory experience as anything else. Whether an aroma emanates from food or folk or flora or fauna, readers can count on experiencing scents right along with the characters in the book. I have a particularly sensitive sense of smell, so I read and wrinkled my nose at the descriptions of death, decay, and body odors (of both the dead and the living, who may “smell like old ...more
Jenn Z at That's What She's Reading
photo credit to Kristine Hall @hall_ways
(photo credit to Kristine Hall @hall_ways)

When the previous book in this series, Stolen Obsession, toured with Lone Star in 2018, I did not have the opportunity to read it. Garnering so much fanfare from the team definitely got my attention, so I was super excited to get a chance to read this book for this tour. Although the author does a great job of incorporating previous events into this story so that new readers won't feel lost, I do want to return to the first book simply to understand more
Lorilei Gonzales
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
My first thoughts on the cover of Spent Identity by Marlene M. Bell were how beautiful and eerie it was at the same time. There’s something classy about the red roses in the vase and the envelope with the calligraphy ‘A’ on it, but the wilt to the roses and the shattered and crooked title stamped on top of them clues the reader to the sinister story within.

As much as I liked the irony of the farmhand reading a crime novel while stumbling across a crime scene, I thought that the tone of the prolo
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Few books have frustrated, flustered or forced me to the edge of my seat as much as Spent Identity by Marlene M. Bell. I was happy to discover Bell's first book in the Annalisse Series, Stolen Obsession, almost two years ago. Aside from the gorgeous cover art, I quickly fell in love with the cocktail of historical artifacts (my secret love) and murder mystery romance. Stolen Obsession had excellent pacing, characters, and the banter between Annalisse and Alec was the stuff of Old Hollywood films ...more
Meghan
This book was received as an ARC from Marlene M. Bell in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

We are in the search of good thrillers and I fell in love with this book right from the start. Spent Identity tells the story Annalisse Drury and her arrival at her family estate unknowing that there are secrets kept in the dark until now. Since Annalisse's arrival, a dead body was found, her aunt she reconnects with disappears and there is
Mike
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Spent Identity is filled with enough twists and turns to make Lombard Street envious!

Marlene M. Bell certainly knows how to spin a tale - and spin it she does. The book starts off a little on the slow side, but as the mystery deepened I found myself turning the pages rather quickly. I had a very hard time keeping my eyes in place - they always wanted to skip ahead a few paragraphs to see what happened.

This story is book two of the Annalisse Series. I did not read the first book, and that took aw
Lynn Poppe
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I came for the mystery and stayed for the secrets revealed.
But what really kept me turning the pages in Spent Identity was what happened to Kate? And who is the dead guy in the barn? Ms. Bell skillfully keeps us guessing throughout most of the novel. There are kidnappings, multiple plot twists, various potential baddies, and a few more spoiler-y wild goose chases sprinkled throughout.
The novel moves at a mostly quick pace, with Annalisse driving the search for her aunt.
On the character front, I
Ruthie Jones
Spent Identity by Marlene M. Bell is quite the mystery, filled with an abundance of clues but few answers and even fewer leads as to who did what to whom. The reveal is slow and steady in this one but well worth the wait. Marlene knows how to keep the reader intrigued and turning the pages. If you think you are good at puzzling out mysteries early on, brace yourself because with Spent Identity, you have met your match.

When Annalisse Drury heads to the Walker Ranch to see her Aunt Kate, she has n
Christena
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

“All she’s missing is the space suit. That Seattle rain washed away what sense she had left.” Annalisse laughed.

Marlene M. Bell wove a fast-paced mystery story in the second Annalisse Series book. In Spent Identity the story begins with a dead man and then escalates to a missing person. It is a fast nonstop, a who-done-it thrill-ride story that has some romance, lots of family problems, and evils that I never saw coming.

Is the story far-fetched in an Alice in Wonderland kinda way? Defin
Jypsy
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Prism and the author for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

Spent Identity
Annalisse Series #2
By: Marlene M. Bell

*REVIEW* 🌟🌟🌟🌟

How do you like your mysteries? Like boiling water or making a three tiered cake from scratch? As the crow flies or in a zigzag pattern all the way? In Spent Identity, author Marlene M. Bell is driving at top speed down the zigzag mountain road while throwing homemade cake out the window! Are you with me he
Linda
Apr 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Spent Identity is the second book in the Annalisse series. It’s a stand alone although I would have preferred to have read book one first. I loved the setting in the Catskills in upper New York. The author does a great job of describing the big farm/ranch. I was hooked immediately when a decomposing body is found in the barn, and then Annalisse’s Aunt Kate goes missing. I struggled a bit with character confusion which I think would be remedied by reading book one first. The writing and twists an ...more
Shelly
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
After the excitement that Annalisse and Alec faced in Stolen Obsession, I was curious where the new adventure would take them. The scenery is slightly less exotic; but nonetheless, the action makes up for staying stateside. Once Auntie Kate is missing, Annalisse faces another wild ride of chasing down leads and warding off people who put her in danger.

I was taken back a bit when Alec proposes so soon into the book and she refuses. I felt like it was a cold, odd rejection. She was heading to vis
Jo Dervan
Dec 02, 2019 rated it liked it

Annalisse was a 30 year old woman working at a NYC art gallery where she met the owner’s wealthy veterinarian son, Alec. They dated seriously and while on vacation with his family on a yacht in Europe, his Dad was killed.

So Alec was forced to take over the running of his father’s sports car company. This left little time for a relationship and Annalisse decided to break off from Alec. So she drove up for a weekend to the farm where her Aunt Kate had raised her after the girl’s parents died tragi
Lesa
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story and writing aren't bad and I mostly enjoyed reading this one. My one complaint: the author needs to learn how to reference events from previous books in way that is engaging to the reader. Every time a prior event was referenced in this book -- and there were a LOT of them -- I felt like I was at my boyfriend's work holiday party, where I don't know anyone that everyone is talking about.
Truly Trendy PR
Spent Identity is the second book in the Annalisse Series by Marlene M. Bell. A romantic suspense that pulls you in from the beginning with of unexpected twists and turns. The characters are well-written and have creative backstories. Spent Identity is the kind of story that grabs your attention with mystery and intrigue that will leave you wanting more. **I received a complimentary copy from RABT Book Tours and the author in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.**
Annarella
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
A gripping and entertaining read. I liked the solid mystery that kept me guessing, the well thought cast of characters and the setting.
Even if it's the second in a series I had no issues with the characters or the plot.
I will surely read other books in this series.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Jackie
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I won this in a goodreads giveaway. It’s a decent book. I wish I’d read the first one first but this second one is very good. Thank you for the autograph!
Booksiren
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This winning second installment in the Annalisse Series from Bell trails Annalisse Drury, 30-year-old antiquities expert who arrives at her childhood home and gets entangled into a murder investigation while her aunt goes missing.

Trying to get away from the miseries of her dwindling relationship with the business tycoon Alec Zavos, Annalisse Drury arrives at the family ranch to see Aunt Kate. After the body of a stranger turns up strangled to death in the barn, the police presence forces the wo
Roxann
Jun 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
From the cover: To find her missing aunt, she has to unearth the secrets of the past. But lies and deceit run through the very heart of their town… What started out as a promising relationship with adventurer and tycoon Alec Zavos has fizzled into an uncertain future for antiquities expert Annalisse Drury. Returning to Walker Farm in Upstate New York to see her Aunt Kate should have been a welcome homecoming and distraction. Instead, she finds the childhood home she expected to inherit is for sa ...more
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Annalisse Drury needs the fresh air and open places that her brownstone in Manhattan cannot provide. Luckily, she has the perfect outlet, the family farm she grew up on in Goshen. As a small child her parents died, so she came to live with her beloved Aunt Kate. Unfortunately, when she lived with them, Kate’s now dead husband and two obnoxious children reminded her constantly that she would never be a part of their family, no matter how much Kate cared and loved her.

When she arrives at the farm
Florence
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Spent identity" is the second book of a series. I wished I read the first book, still it is not a necessity, there are many flashbacks, but I would recommend it. It was the first time in years that I got hooked by a thriller. I used to read so many books of that genre that I got bored, and could anticipate the story before reading. In Spent Identity, my guessing didn't work, and I got hooked by the plot. One of the reasons is that the characters are not perfect. I mean, they are perfect for the ...more
L.S.
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Having listened to the first book (Stolen Obsession) in the series only recently, I was well and truly caught up in Annalisse's world. Book number two (Spent Identity) moved on effortlessly and paid homage to past events from the first book without regurgitating everything.

As before, this is jam-packed with details, subplots blend in well, and the story moves along at a great pace. It's one of those stories in which you have no chance of solving the puzzle yourself, as the culprit comes literal
Kim Bakos
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
I'll start by saying I didn't read the first book in this series. I think that is important because there is nothing more frustrating than picking up a book from a series and feeling lost because you are missing the info from the previous storylines. Although there were some references to the prior story that I didn't understand, it didn't detract from this story at all.
The romance between Alec and Annaliese is very sweet. He is certainly a romantic at heart. I love that their relationship isn'
Nancy
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It seems as if Annalisse just can’t win.

She goes back home to her Aunt Kate’s farm and discovers it’s going to be sold. That same day they find a dead man in the barn. His ID says he’s one man, but his face says, “No so.”

Then Aunt Kate disappears and it appears that she’s been kidnapped. However, no ransom note shows up. And her children are acting like total jerks.

To top it all off, her relationship with boyfriend Alex is not going well. Do all things have to get worse before getting better? it
« previous 1 3 next »

• All in
  • Finding Esme
  • Airborne
  • Enemies of Doves
  • Ain't Nobody Nobody
  • Santa Claus Bank Robbery: A True Crime Saga in Texas
  • Sitting on a Fortune (The Sisters, Texas #9)
  • Relative Silence
  • The Taste of Home Cookbook, 5th Edition: Cook.  Share.  Celebrate.
  • Amish Homecoming
  • Collision of Lies
  • This Side of Heaven
  • Bad Memory
  • Out of the Embers (Mesquite Springs, #1)
  • The Secret of You and Me
  • Twice in a Blue Moon
  • The Pinebox Vendetta
  • Every Breath You Take (Under Suspicion, #5)
Marlene M. Bell is an acclaimed artist and photographer as well as a writer. Her previous book, a memoir entitled Among the Sheep, offers a look into her life history, along with a selection of written works on the subject of care and breeding of sheep. She and her husband, Gregg, have raised breeding stock of nationally renowned, purebred Horned Dorset sheep for over thirty-five years. Marlene is ...more

Annalisse Series (2 books)
  • Stolen Obsession (Annalisse Series Book 1)