Start by marking “Spindles and Spells (Grimm Academy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spindles and Spells (Grimm Academy, #1)

Spindles and Spells

(Grimm Academy #1)

Briar doesn't believe in Once Upon A Time...

Her whole life, Briar has been told about her fate, but she doesn't believe a word. Now she's forced to go to Grimm Academy along with all the other fairy tale characters trying to avoid their tales.

When she finds a spindle in one of the tallest towers, she begins to believe, but is it already too late?

Welcome to Grimm Ac
Published February 20th 2020 by Drowlgon Press

To ask other readers questions about Spindles and Spells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spindles and Spells

Start your review of Spindles and Spells (Grimm Academy, #1)
Annette
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I read fairytale retelling or fairytale inspired I get curious. So, this book was on my wishlist for quite some time already and last week I had the best excuse ever to get the book. Since I already read a Laura Greenwood book that week, I had to wait a week to read this one, but this morning it was finally time to select this book on my kindle and to get started.

The book is quite short. During my hour of reading in bed I was already 70% in. Which was a good thing, because due to work I did
Christina Luberts
Apr 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I really did not get into this story, but others might like it better. We bring in Sleeping Beauty. I don't want to say to much, you should give your own thoughts on this type of writing.

Andra Shaw
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Spindles And Spells is a fantastic retelling of Sleeping Beauty starring HRH Briar Rose. With other well known fairytale characters such as Rapunzel, (King) Arthur, and Ella (Cinderella), the students at Grimm Academy are there to break their prophecies, what we consider their story. As this book begins, Briar Rose agrees to attend the Academy to appease her father, the King. Ella is not the son he wanted, but she knows she can rise to his expectations and rule their Kingdom someday. Briar aims ...more
Aimee Bower
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Briar didn't want to go to the academy at first. She doesn't believe in the prophecy that all. Her father states he will make her heir if she goes. She meets her student guide, her name is Rapunzel. They become fast friends. She is finds she is enjoying being there and making friends. A boy comes to introduce himself. She is drawn to him and how charming and nice he is.
Briar finds a note in her room, stating that she is now a student guide. She goes to meet the new student right away. The new st
Emily Pennington
Shelves: reviewed
In the retelling of Sleeping Beauty, we meet Briar Rose, who does not at all believe in the prophecy of what is going to happen to her. Her father cajoles her into going to the Grimm Academy and she agrees. There she meets Rapunzel who becomes her best friend, along with several other fairy tale characters the reader will no doubt recognize. Finding a spindle in one of the tallest towers gives Rose a nervous moment, but can she count on her new friends to keep her out of danger? Can she create a ...more
Phoebe
Laura Greenwood takes on the retelling of Sleeping Beauty in Spindles and Spells (Drowlgon Press, 2020). I am not familiar with the story, but let me tell you it pays to make friends.

For me this story was vastly different from Greenwood’s other stories (avid reader of Greenwood’s works). I actually was not a huge fan of Briar in the beginning. Greenwood, for me, created an unlikeable character who only through personal growth and world awareness became a likeable character. This process made the
Jamie Jack
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, fantasy
Academy Story + Fairy Tale

What a fun combination fantasy academy with a retelling of a classic fairy tale. This one is a reimagining of Sleeping Beauty. I enjoy stories by Laura Greenwood, and this one was no exception. Though, I have to say, I do wish the book were longer. The author does like to write novellas! Now don't get me wrong; the author has given us a complete story, but I feel like it lacked some details. Or perhaps I just wished that there were more meat to the story or that we coul
Lexee Toste
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story! We get to meet Briar and see her have to deal with her curse at Grimm Academy. She doesn't believe in the curses when she arrives but things start changing and forces her to start believing. Thankfully she has made some great friends and a love interest to help her out to stay safe and make it through. This is a fairly quick read, not super short but not really long either. I was pulled in from beginning to end. There are some twists and turns but of course we know t ...more
Adena Lee
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I like how Laura Greenwood had taken classic fairy tales and twisted them. This is a sweet romance between an intelligent princess who attends a finishing academy for royals and nobles and the supportive lording she meets there. All of this is spiced by Briar coming to the realization that the prophecy of her 18th birthday is real, not a method of parental control, and her efforts to destroy that prophecy. It is a very personal quest resulting in deep bonds with new friends and Briar's happily-e ...more
Douglas Williamson
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Our heroine is based on the star of the Sleeping Beauty story, but now she is in an academy setting with other fairy tale characters.

This is book one of the series, so all good there.

This is a paranormal academy romance, but it is based around classic fairy tale characters, so it is definitely a bit different from the norm. Fortunately, it is different in a good way and makes for a fantastic read. The story is well written and you already know the characters, but they are brought to life in new
Billie
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Briar doesn't believe in Once Upon A Time...
Welcome to Grimm Academy, where fairy tale characters go to escape their foretold fate.

This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story
Marjorie
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Briar's story is reminiscent of the traditional tale but has a decidedly modern British feel, complete with plenty of tea and biscuits. Rather than being hidden away her entire childhood, she is raised as a princess and sent to a boarding academy as her prophesy (which she does not believe in) is due to come true.

A mashup of fairytale characters trying to escape their prophesies attend Grimm Academy. The cast includes popular favorites as well as a few lesser characters. The fact that the proph
sherri jones-teachout
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Sleeping Beauty, Briar Rose but with twist. Can she avoid her prophecy? Briar’s father has made her attend Grimm Academy. A place where hopefully she will be safe from her prophecy or at least learn how to avoid it. But prophecies can’t be ignored and they always find a way to come true. Or do they? Can Briar and her new friends find a way to break it and destroy the spindle on the spinning wheel? I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving ...more
Christinaraven
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this retelling of the Briar Rose story set at an Academy. It was a clean story that had enough of the original tale to be recognizable yet different enough to entertain. I really thought Briar's reactions to the start of the school were a hoot. I admit the story made me laugh but that is why I liked the story so much. It was more on the entertaining uplifting side and not a dark retelling. And quick enough to read in one sitting to see how it would end and what twist would be included.
Marianela Aybar (Mari Loves Books Blog)
This is a different re-telling of Sleeping Beauty and it's geared more towards young adults but very enjoyable. It's premise is that Grimm Academy is for those fairy tale characters that want to escape their fate but that proves a little difficult for Briar. The story has some mystery and danger but still that sweet, young romance you expect along with friendships. I can't wait to see where the rest of the stories takes us.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily lea
Caroline Doig
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a retelling of Sleeping Beauty and this is Briar who goes to Grimm Academy where she meets other characters like Cinderella etc who go to learn how to break their own prophecy’s. This is a great story with plenty of twists and turns but will Briar end up pricking her finger on the spindle?. Pick up the book and find out for yourself and I enjoyed this story immensely and I recommend this book.
Carlynne Toomey
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an interesting take on fairy tales and I found it very enjoyable. The fairy tale characters are all at Grimm Academy and it is very interesting to read about their interactions and their curses. The characters are well developed and have interesting personalities that bring them to life in a wonderful way. If you are a fan of fairy tale retellings, you'll love this story!

Sandy
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can she meet the challenge?
What a cool look at an old fairy tale Sleeping Beauty. What I enjoyed was the refreshing look and feel of this tale. The author has added into the tale elements that show a young person growing and learning about themselves how to deal with events in their lives and the need to work with others. All this was in a beautifully written piece. I thought this piece was truly amazing! I did receive a free copy of this book and voluntarily chose to review it.
Anita Fuhrmann
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
This series is all about the retelling of classic fairy tales albeit with unusual and unique twists. Ms. Greenwood does a very good job with her take on the classic story of Sleeping Beauty. Geared towards more of a teen reader but still quite enjoyable for adults. I will definitely be watching for the other stories in this series.

Sassy Angel
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story. I can’t wait to read more in this series. I love reading anything by Laura Greenwood. I couldn’t put it down. I loved every second of it. Briar is at Grimm Academy because her curse is close. She doesn’t want to be there at first but she makes a friend in Rapunzel. She also meets Walter who she starts seeing. Will she be able to defeat her curse?

Michelle
Apr 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Spindles and Spells is the retelling of Sleeping Beauty with a Grimm Academy twist. The characters are interesting and well developed and the story is well written with plot twists that had me turning the pages to find out what would happen next. I really enjoy reading fairytale retellings and I can't wait to read the next book in The Grimm Academy series. I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book.
Cassi Sanchez-Manning
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Laura Greenwood has done it again! Her writing is amazing and this fairytale retelling If Sleeping Beauty is no exception!

Reluctantly, Briar Rose attends Grimm Academy to learn more about the prophecy that involves her that she does not believe in.

For lovers of fairytales and retelling this book is a must read!

Scarolet Ellis
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Spindles And Spells by Laura Greenwood is such an amazing story that I have loved reading. This is book number one in this amazing start to a brand new series and I can not wait to read the rest of this amazing series. I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about fantasy and paranormal romance.

Erin
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Briar stars this series with a Sleeping Beauty retelling. I love how with this being an academy series that many stories and characters are well written thought the books theme mixing in Rapunzel (student guide), and characters Ella and Arthur and so many others. This world and story makes me so excited to read the next book Pumpkins and Proms. Laura just keeps putting out great books.
Sabrina
This was a very clever book. It takes the idea of empowering women but almost hides it into a fairy tale. If Briar is to become the Heir apparent of her kingdom then she must learn to overcome obstacles and find a way to lead without losing herself to falseness. With the help of Rapunzel band her friends Briar saves herself and proves that she can become someone who can rule.

Kathleen Bradbury (Bulfon)
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully fantastic... The book was amazing... It had a lot of details and juicy scenes to it... The characters and their personalities match them perfectly... The plot and the storyline was very descriptive and amazing...

Donna Hokanson
Entertaining

A very updated Fairy tale of Sleeping Beauty. Briar doesn’t believe in the prophecy told about her until she sees a spindle in one of the tallest towers.
This is a very enjoyable story to read. This story is self-contained in this book and yet more in the series are to come about other Fairy tale characters.
Well written story.
Barbara
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Book one in the Grimm Academy series a well written story that kept me turning pages. Briar Rose has always been my favorite tale, and this one does not disappoint. I enjoyed seeing how Walter, Rapunzel, and Gavin help her with the curse. I want to read the next book. I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntarily leaving a review.
Elvira
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once again a great magical read by this author. The characters are well developed and engaging and the chemistry between them is undeniable. The storyline flowed smoothly from beginning to the end.

• Half Soul
  • The Coronation Ball (Four Kingdoms, #2.2)
  • Feline the Pressure (The Firehouse Feline #4)
  • In the Dark
  • Havoc at Prescott High (The Havoc Boys, #1)
  • Vile Sorcery (Royals of Villain Academy, #2)
  • Last Chance Reform (Immortals of Talonswood, #2)
  • Triumph (Shifters of Consequence, #3)
  • Crystal Caged (Air Awakens: Vortex Chronicles, #5)
  • Last Chance Academy (Immortals of Talonswood, #1)
  • Springhatch (Bridge of Legends #5)
  • Feline the Flames (The Firehouse Feline, #2)
  • A Faithless Year Two (Watcher Academy #2)
  • Lucifer's Emblem (Celestial Academy, #1)
  • The Underground Academy: The Complete Series
  • Darkness Rising: A Limited Edition Fantasy and Urban Fantasy Collection
  • Beast
  • Winterfast (Bridge of Legends #4)
Laura is a USA Today Bestselling Author of paranormal, fantasy, and urban fantasy romance (though she can occasionally be found writing contemporary romance). When she's not writing, she drinks a lot of tea, tries to resist French macarons, and works towards a diploma in Egyptology. She lives in the UK, where most of her books are set.

You can check out Laura's Website here:
www.authorlauragreenwo

Grimm Academy (6 books)
  • Pumpkins And Proms (Grimm Academy, #2)
  • Huntsmen And Hoods (Grimm Academy, #3)
  • Mirrors And Magic (Grimm Academy, #4)
  • Lamps and Lies (Grimm Academy, #5)
  • Frosts And Fears (Grimm Academy, #6)