Start by marking “From Ashes to Magic (A Supernatural Beings Anthology, #1)” as Want to Read:
From Ashes to Magic (A Supernatural Beings Anthology, #1)

From Ashes to Magic

(A Supernatural Beings Anthology #1)

It's when they creep out of the shadows that you should beware. The good ones will hold your hand when you're having a nightmare; the bad ones BECOME your nightmare, seeping into your very soul and burrowing in the darkness until they've completely taken over.

Ten authors. Ten stories. Many supernatural beings you've come to know and love.

Once you plunge into these pages,
Published December 2nd 2019 by Mikki Noble Publications

To ask other readers questions about From Ashes to Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Ashes to Magic

Start your review of From Ashes to Magic (A Supernatural Beings Anthology, #1)
Deekay
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Leelynn (Sometimes Leelynn Reads) ❤
Disclaimer: I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you to YA Bound Book Tours and Mikki Noble Publications for this free copy. All quotes in this review are taken from the Advanced Reader Copy and may change in final publication.

I love that I get to enjoy a taste of new authors through anthologies like this. Especially when it comes to my favorite genre in the entire world. I absolutely adore YA fantasy novels, and getting to re
 CCAM&GZM
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Once you plunge into these pages, you won't want to leave.

And I could stop here!

Writing a (good) short story is, in my opinion, harder than writing a full-length novel. The rules are stricter, space is definitely restricted. The author has to give all needed background information, to build the set and the tension, reach the climax and give the (unexpected) denouement in just a few pages. I was happy to discover not one, but ten authors who did a good to a great job, even if some rules were not
Sammi
Interesting Anthology

Some of the stories I really really enjoyed. But I think my expectations for an anthology are that the stories should be complete. A one shot in essence. Make me want to look up more of the author. But the story itself should be complete. But this anthology had a lot of stories that seemed like first chapters rushed through to try and be a story. I didn’t enjoy the majority of those, but I think that’s due more time my expectations than any fault on the writer.
Madelaine Taylor
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an enjoyable read, bite sized stories that are easy to digest and make you want to read more. A compilation with something for everyone to enjoy.

Michelle
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is like other anthologies where you will like some, not so much others, but I was pleasantly surprised by them. It has a good mix of stories and authors to try out. I definitely have some new favorite authors to look for more work on after reading this.
Devika Fernando
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't often read multi-author anthologies but this beautiful cover reeled me right in, and then the first story had me hook, line, and sinker. The book is filled with bite-sized fantasy that features all sorts of - admittedly unexpected - creatures and settings. I find myself completely unable to choose a favourite because they somehow managed to all be completely different and have a thought-provoking ending.
Angel Ballard
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic mix of anthologies. A wonderful smorgasbord of stories, each by a different author. I loved the difference in each one and really liked them all. The doors to their imaginations are just awesome! Loved this book!
Darlene Toulouse
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There were a bunch of great stories. I loved them all. I recommend it for my friends.
Cecilia Lyra
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mikki Noble! Brilliant!
Anya Pavelle
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fantasy lover and a practicing pagan, so this book was a treat on all levels. There are stories from a more classic lord/lady time period to a time with bombs and hints of mechanized warfare as well as a series of poems between life and death in a call and response format. All authors used strong imagery to build their worlds with care. Recommended read.
Books &
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed the short stories in this book. The writing is colorful and has incredible depth. These are the types of stories I like to dive into, especially the prose. The authors have done a fantastic job. I'm an eclectic pagan, and this was just the book for me.
Heather Bane
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this anthology. Included is 10 stories. Each story is well written as well as the characters. If you love anthologies you will love this book. I would recommend reading.

Noelle Brighton
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!! This anthology was such a pleasure to read - all of the contributing authors are incredibly talented and each story is an adventure. Congratulations to each author and thank you for sharing your talent and stories! Highly recommend!
H.R.R. Gorman
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This collection was an absolute mixed bag. Some of the stories I found incredibly creative or gorgeous, but with others I was very confused about and didn't like at all. There were a few I didn't feel strongly about.

However, the two stories I liked the most made me feel like the purchase was worth it. I really enjoyed the delicious writing and mythological feel of N. Pan's "Life and Death," and the creativity of A. Meghlen's "The Locksmith" was superb. Those two stories alone made me feel like t
Rebecca Alasdair
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
An intriguing collection of stories. Full disclaimer: I don't often read short stories, and this is actually the very first anthology I've ever read. But I was super keen to check out the work of my writer friends, and I was NOT disappointed! This was an eclectic mix of fantasy tales inspired by all kinds of supernatural beings, some of which I'd never encountered before. There's something here for everyone, so definitely check it out!!
S.R. Severn
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A really lovely compilation of short stories by a great selection of writers, most of who I've heard of already and some newly discovered.

It's a wonderful blend of paranormal, mythic, fantasy stories (some romantic, some full of mystery), each one impressing me and piquing my interest in the storyteller's style.

Because of this I am even more eager to pick up new stories done by these writers for their impressive imagination and way of reeling a reader into a tale of magic.
Elisha Bugg
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't tend to read all that many short stories, or anthologies, but I was pleasantly surprised by this collection.
Firstly, I was drawn to the cover which is beautiful, and then the stories just made it better and better.
All the Authors had quite different stories and they were all interesting in their own way, unsure which I would class as my favourite.
I wouldn't hesitate to read books by any of these authors in the future.

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntaril
Chelsea Chafin
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was very excited when I heard this anthology was coming out, and I can tell you it was well worth the wait.

Each author has a strong distinctive voice that shines through their respective stories, and yet this collection tied together so well for me even outside of the common theme of the supernatural. Based on my reading, I found that each story carries the elements of Survival, Strength, and Freedom.

100% recommend reading!
Mikki Noble
Oct 14, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
There is an exceptional lineup of extremely talented writers in this book. Names you may already know and some fresh new faces. Some upcoming big names, I'd bet on it.
Dawn Milligan
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
10 amazing storys! Gabby by Mikki was my favorite!! Well written and a great set of characters! There is something in the bundle for everyone!
Eileen Hammond
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fun compendium of stories. Love the variety of stories contained in this book. I read a lot just before bed, so shorter stories work perfectly. Plus, this was a great opportunity to check out new to me authors. All stories were grounded in some type of supernatural being or magic. Many left me wanting more. Rebirth and Life and Death were two of my favorites, although all the stories were good.
Samantha Kroese
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice collection of entertaining stories

I quite enjoyed this anthology! The authors in it are very talented and every story was delightful and unique! Highly recommended!
C.M. Rosens
Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an anthology I enjoyed for the most part. There were stories in it that were not to my taste, and some that felt more like opening chapters of novels than complete short stories that could stand alone, but I found something to like about all the stories I read.

There were some major highlights in this collection for me, which I’m aware are subjective, but those were enough to warrant a 4* review and make the collection worth buying.

I think the fact that there were several stories that d
J.R. Schuyler
Jan 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
"From Ashes to Magic" is an anthology of stories featuring supernatural beings. Each story is written by a different author, which is great because it gives you the chance to discover some new favorites. The best stories for me were "Rebirth," "The Sulfur Night," and "The Locksmith," but every story was worth reading.

The only thing I didn't like was that some of the stories felt like excerpts from a novel rather than self-contained stories. Some felt incomplete. Others had overstuffed plots and
Annalisa
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazingly good. I was pleasantly surprised. I usually avoid anthologies because it is usually by authors I have never read. I liked all the stories and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite. The stories were magical and compelling.

Mona
Sep 06, 2020 rated it liked it
It's the first time I'm reading a collection of YA fantasy stories so I have no idea how to rate this. The first story was fine, not breath-taking but not horrible either (2 stars). The second story was more interesting than the first but I didn't like the ending (3 stars). The third story was original and was pretty enjoyable to read (4 stars). The fourth story was the one that piqued the most my interest, it featured Filipino gods and culture (4 stars). I dnf the fifth story half way, I was co ...more
Carin Camen
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a collection of work by ten authors and put together by Mikki Noble in an effort to help unpublished authors get more eyes on their work.

While I normally don't enjoy this type of collection, due to my desire to fully engage with one story; I found this collection beautifully flowed together.

Each piece has the unique touch of the individual author, while still providing contextual coherance to the book's theme.

Many stories left me wanting to read more, and I admit was disappointed
Bookish
Aug 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Superb collection of supernatural stories by several different authors. Each a solid read on its own but even better together.
Julia Goldhirsh
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
I didn't end up finishing it, because I just lost interest which, but I like most of the stories that I did read. My personal favorite was the one with magic in the Philippines. It displayed a unique dynamic for magic, but I would've like to see that story expanded into something longer. Overall, it was a good source of entertainment for when I was flying to and from Japan.

• Cruel Elites
  • Once Upon a Quest (Once Upon a..., #1)
  • Dark Skies 1-3 (Dark Skies, #1-3)
  • Creatures of the Night School (Book One: Return to Sender)
  • Ash (Fire & Blood #2)
  • Academy of Magic
  • Black Market Magic (Kira Steele Book 2)
  • Prince of Never (Black Blood Fae, #1)
  • For Hell's Sake (Queen of the Underworld #1)
  • Olympus Academy: The Demon Demigod
  • Murder in Wizard's Wood (Bittergate #1)
  • Servant of Chaos (Forgotten Gods, #3)
  • Once Upon a Princess (Once Upon a..., #2)
  • Fae Academy: Primal
  • Mischief Claimed (The Fallen Angels Academy , #1)
Mikki knew she was meant to be a writer from a very young age; since writing her very first poem at age eleven. She lives in Ontario, Canada, with her cats and guinea pigs. She found her niche in teen fiction because it’s captivating, open-minded, fast-paced, and every sense is heightened. And that’s why it’s her favorite genre to pick up at a bookstore.

Mikki has a diploma in both, Business Admin