Start by marking “Elysium Girls” as Want to Read:
Elysium Girls

Elysium Girls

In this sweeping Dust Bowl-inspired fantasy, a ten-year game between Life and Death pits the walled Oklahoma city of Elysium-including a girl gang of witches and a demon who longs for humanity-against the supernatural in order to judge mankind.

When Sal is named Successor to Mother Morevna, a powerful witch and leader of Elysium, she jumps at the chance to prove herself to
Expected publication: April 14th 2020 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Elysium Girls, please sign up.
Kate Pentecost
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Elysium Girls
megs_bookrack
This cover has added 5-years to my life.

Thank you, Disney-Hyperion, for my ARC!

I am excited to get to this one. Anytime a synopsis sounds like an ode to Mad Max, I'm down.
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I dont even know what the book idea Mad Max: Fury Road meets Caraval with witch girl gangs is going to look like but Im okay with that ...more
Tara ☽
Mar 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
This book is so far away and I don't know anything about the author, but I read the words "Mad Max", "girl gang" and "witches" and I hit that Want To Read option faster than Donald Trump would hit the nuclear button
raphael ✧
please be gay please be gay please be gay please be g
♠ TABI ♠
Mar 19, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: netgalley
Uhm yes I will read this. It had me at MMFR

DAMN LOOK AT THAT COVER WOW
fae
Feb 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
a girl gang of witches and a wildcard demon??
Goddesses of Life and Death??
Cindy ✩☽♔
Mar 11, 2018 marked it as to-read
Pitched as Mad Max: Fury Road meets Caraval in an alternate history American Dust Bowl, the book features a girl gang of witches and a wildcard demon...

I have no idea what to expect, but I think I'm into it?
✩ Ashley ✩
In *love* with the chills this cover gives!! 🖤

This cover is TOO GOOD - why hasnt it dropped on GR yet?!?!? 🔥
Vee_Bookish
Mar 12, 2018 marked it as to-read
Mad Max meets Caraval also there's a witchy girl gangs

I'm don't know what I'm here for but I'm here for it
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
RTC for blog tour.
Autumn Krause
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I got to read this prior to publication and IT. IS. AMAZING. It's a thrilling story grounded in exquisite writing--all I can say is: read this!! It delivers on every level.
Dahlia
Dec 08, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2020-releases
This was very cool! It's not the most "my thing" as far as genres go but I had to read it to confirm it was Sapphic as reported, and I read the whole thing in a couple of days so it was certainly compelling! Think The Never Tilting World by Rin Chupeco meets The Good Luck Girls by Charlotte Nicole Davis. There are a couple of things that I thought were leading to much cooler, grander revelations** but didn't (one I think is just an error, so hopefully that's fixed for the final copy; I read an ...more
rachel ☾

Blog Goodreads Twitter Instagram
Chelsies Crazy4Books
Jan 08, 2020 marked it as to-read
The sample was amazing. I cant wait to get my hands on the full novel.
Sana
Feb 23, 2018 marked it as 2020-reading-vision
This one sounds too good to be true but hey, here for the girl gang just like in Undead Girl Gang and The Lady's Guide to Petticoats and Piracy
Micaela Muldoon
Jun 09, 2019 marked it as to-read
- American Dust Bowl
- girl gang of witches
- other supernatural players
- high stakes

Am hyperventilating from how awesome this book sounds. Send help.
Karissa
Feb 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Series Info/Source: This is a stand alone book. I got an eGalley to review through NetGalley.

Story (5/5): This was an amazing book. The whole story has this fantasy dust bowl type of feel to it. Elysium was like any other town until the Dust Soldiers came and the Gods returned. Now Elysium is isolated from the rest of the world and its denizens are part of a 10 year old game being held between the Gods of Life and Death. Then Sal comes along and breaks it all.

This was a very unique story that
Sara Codair
I received a copy of this from NetGalley.

If you like weird west stories and chosen one narratives, then read this. The setting and the world are something of a twist on classic western with a vibe that isnt quite steampunk but something similar. There is even a magic showdown.

While I did enjoy the book, I didn't find myself as immersed in it as I would have liked, and I'm wondering if it is because I knew a little too much too early on.

The blurb summarizes a lot of the story, so I think
Kat
#ElysiumGirls #NetGalley
An interesting and conceptually different read. Young adults will enjoy the backdrop and pacing. It was hard to follow at times, but once I was invested it really began to pick up half-way through.

Merged review:

#ElysiumGirls #NetGalley
Amanda
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopian, 2020
Ely
Mar 19, 2018 marked it as wishlist
Shelves: 2020
Literally want this because it has the word Elysium in the title.
Olivia
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yabc-reviews
See my full review here: https://www.yabookscentral.com/yafict...

ELYSIUM GIRLS is an engaging YA historical fantasy/dystopian. In the 1930s, an area of Oklahoma suddenly got cut off from the rest of the world. Unaware of anything going on outside of their area, the people are told that they are in a 10-year game between Life and Death, sister goddesses. At the end of 10 years, they will be judged and left either dead or alive.

The people of Elysium sealed their walls and began to listen to Mother
Heather
And its not like you, the strong, patient, ingenious girl I know, to bow before something as insignificant as fate.

Elysium Girls is a story about a dystopian Oklahoma remade by two Goddesses: Life and Death. The two sister Goddesses decide to play a game after a bad dust storm nearly wipes out the population in the Oklahoma Panhandle.

We crept out of our shelters, those of us who had found shelter, and what we saw terrified us. Our fields were gone, our farms were gone, and in their places was
Bria
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Girl gang! Witches! Mechanical horses! Problems solved via the power of friendship! Honestly, what's not to love? Also, can we just appreciate how excellent this cover is?
Rosemary
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When I was at a Book Buzz where this book came up, the publisher rep said, "I love this book! It's hard to describe, but it's so good! It's so weird!" And really, that was all I needed to hear: I wanted to read a book with a big steampunk horse on the cover. I was not disappointed.

Elysium Girls is Dust Bowl-era dystopian fiction. In 1935, while America is in the grips of the Great Depression, a giant dust cloud rolls over Oklahoma. The goddesses of Life and Death have taken this little chunk of
Nora Grace ♌️
**3/5 stars**
This was about 400 pages of half-developed plot, confusing world building, and admirable attempts at inclusivity that ultimately didn't save Elysium Girls from being only half-in-the-bag.

Elysium Girls is bold, but this feels like another book like House of Salt and Sorrows where the author got so caught up in one part of their world that they left everything else half-developed or completely undeveloped. In Elysium Girls, the only thing that feels like it belongs in the story and
Jessica
Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Goddesses of Life and Death make a bet trapping an entire 1935 Oklahoma town in a game to see who will win. If the city can comply with the challenge and collecting their tithing Life will win and so will they. But if the inhabitants fail Death will win and they will all die. But the challenge isnt straight forward for the residents. Life and Death each get a Wildcard, a dust illness plagues the town, magic complicates things, racial tensions abound, and bandits create havoc. With only four ...more
e ll a ✨
Mar 07, 2020 marked it as to-read
that cover. these 2020 queer releases slayed me, therere so many of them and they all sound good ...more
Amy Hodges
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
In the Oklahoma city, Elysium, the citizens are merely pieces in the game between Life and Death. With Dust Bowl conditions, the 10 year period of the game and judgement day is coming to a close. When Sal, who is known as the girl who cried rain, is named successor to Mother Morevna, a powerful witch and leader of Elysium, she jumps at the opportunity to prove herself to the town. Things are going okay until an outsider named Asa arrives and a terrible mistake happens, causing them both to be ...more
Kendra
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
This novel takes place in a world in which magic exists, along with unending Dust Bowl conditions, and in which goddesses use humans and constructs to play out decade-long power games. Told from several mostly unnecessary points of view, the plot involves Sal, a young woman with strong magical capabilities, her friends, exiles in the desert surrounding their protected city-home, and a daemon in the form of a man. The plot is rather weak and the author relies on hero fights for tension and ...more

• The Edge of Anything
  • Witches of Ash and Ruin
  • Loveboat, Taipei (Loveboat, Taipei, #1)
  • The Complete Gluten Free Diet: 25 Recipes for a happy gluten free family (Simple steps to a healthier life)
  • Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, #26)
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • Lobizona (Wolves of No World, #1)
  • Ink in the Blood (Ink in The Blood, #1)
  • Darling Rose Gold
  • Incendiary (Hollow Crown, #1)
  • When We Were Magic
  • When I Was You
  • The Revolt of the Cockroach People
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Grimoire Noir
  • Belle Révolte
  • Camp Spirit
Kate Pentecost was born and raised on the Texas/Louisiana border, where ghosts and rural legends lurk in the pines and nothing is completely as it seems.
She holds an MFA in Writing for Children & Young Adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts. She was recently nominated for a Rhysling award for her poem "Small Town Witches."
Her debut novel, Elysium Girls, is forthcoming from Disney Hyperion