Start by marking “Widow's Lace” as Want to Read:
Widow's Lace

Widow's Lace

A hundred year old mystery, the widow left behind, a fallen soldier, an unnamed body and a young student determined to find the truth.

In 1886 famous English poet Edward Barrington moves from Derbyshire, England to a farm on the Finniss River, in South Australia. Two years later he disappears.

25 years later Archie Hargraves abandons his fiancée Clara and travels from Englan
Kindle Edition
Published March 26th 2020

To ask other readers questions about Widow's Lace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Widow's Lace

Start your review of Widow's Lace
Neats
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Widow's Lace is an historical fiction / mystery / dual time thriller which follows a young PhD student called Ellie Cannon, as she conducts her research for her thesis on 'The Fall', one of the last known poems by Edward Barrington, written before he mysteriously disappeared.

Ellie has lost her mojo and is struggling to muster up any enthusiasm for writing her thesis, but then a body is discovered at Finniss River. She knows that this is the place where Barrington was last seen over 130 years ago
Rebecca Cousins
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m hooked and I want to read more from Lelita Baldock! This debut novel is just captivating, it has multiple layers of worth. As a historical fiction the novel impresses as it transports the reader to multiple times and stunning places. The narrators are endearing and as for the characters they are fascinating and charming. This novel really had me hocked; Widow’s Lace is a wonderful piece that evokes intense feelings of anticipation and hope, and it’s hard to put down!
Historical fiction is de
Andie
Sep 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
When I first read the blurb for Lelita Baldock’s debut novel, Widow’s Lace, my immediate impression was that I was in for quite a story. A missing person, an unknown body, an abandoned fiancé, a struggling grad student–this book was hitting all of the right buttons to catch my attention. Already, I could see that this novel was made of a series of many threads, intricately woven into the picture of a tragic mystery set across the span of a century. I was hooked from the word “go.”

Broken up into
h. l.
Oct 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Emé Savage
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's a slow burn which I love. But for those of you who aren't fond of slow burns, you still need to read this. It is so worth the time! When I got to the end I was yelling, YELLING, at the screen.

It's about a Grad Student who is working on her dissertation about the famous poet Edward Barrington. Our character is unmotivated and not in a good place when a body is found at the old Barrington place. Part historical fiction part mystery we follow the trail of clues to find out what really happene
Kim Uren
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I just finished this book last night and I am recommending it to family and friends.

It was such a good read. I thoroughly enjoyed it and found it completely engrossing. The plot was definitely ‘hard to put down’ gripping, with a surprise ending. I particularly enjoyed all of the settings Lelita chose, both past and present, as well as the diversity of personalities that took us on this intriguing journey.

The locations and characters were so believable that, I confess I found myself googling the
Margaret Sharpe
Aug 16, 2020 rated it liked it
I bought the book as I hd read that the author, Lelita Baldock came from South Australia and now lives in Woking, as I do. I am familiar with the area in South Australia she writes about and enjoyed her descriptions. The story, or three stories merging into one, was well planned and intriguing, the characters very life-like.
However, there is a but, and a rather big but I'm afraid. She really needs to get a professional editor to read through her work before publishing. I was shocked at some of
Kez Booth
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a brilliant historical novel that moves flawlessly between events of the past and the present day. The story if full of well-rounded and overall very likeable characters; although there are not too many to cloud the plot.
I loved the story being told from different viewpoints; they are written so well and you can tell exactly which character you are following and it was great to hear the other main characters’ contribution to the plot. These viewpoints and the jumping between timelines a
Mohamed-Nour Akalay
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lelita Baldock is a keen observer of human nature and that makes her characters so human and relatable. I can't count how many times I reacted at her characters' trials as if they were my own. And she has style, literary style, and class.

I found myself sometimes cursing at the author, craving to know where she was taking me without going through the motion of reading it all. Taking me back and forth between different timelines and historical times while blurring the lines, the pressure was high,
Ryan
Apr 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I have a habit of reading books but not finishing them - simply because I find that a book just doesn't keep my attention. Fortunately with Widow's Lace I found that it was one of those stories that I HAD to finish due to its engaging story.

It's beautifully written, and does a great job at capturing both the English and Australian settings. Whilst the story does change between characters and settings repeatedly (something I can personally struggle with), it flows really well and never feels disj
Yami's Bookshelf
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
What a phenomenal read! Lelita Baldock’s novel will grab you from the very first chapter and you will not want to stop reading it. It’s an amazing read and it’s sure to resonate with you until the very last chapter.

The book has intrigue and the ending does not disappoint! A thoroughly enjoyable read. A definite 5 stars read!

Thank you, Lelita, for writing such an amazing book! You’re truly a phenomenal author.
Alyse Jansons
Apr 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When reading, I felt deeply immersed in each of the settings. The descriptions are absolutely beautiful, and allowed me to retain the visual in my mind as I read. Each of the characters have been fully developed, which made me want to read more about their lives. I felt completely captivated by the plot throughout. Often with multiple perspective narratives, it is hard to engage with all of the characters, but this has been pulled off very cleverly by Lelita. Would recommend for sure!
Sarah El-aasser
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not usually the genre I read, but it caught my attention and I wasn't disappointed. The descriptions of were beautifully written you could feel the surroundings. The flow of events was smooth and helped keep me in the story's world. Also each character was carefully written which made them interesting to follow. Really enjoyed reading this novel.
Rabiatu
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This is one of the most amazing books I’ve read this year. I really can’t wait to read more of lelita Baldock’s books , it’s really unbelievable see as this is the first book she has written. Very mysterious indeed, I don’t want to give anybody spoilers... you just read and see how it ends📚🥂❤️
Elizabeth Grout
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great first novel. Believable characters w we hi you really get to know and beautiful descriptions of the settings and an original story line with an unexpected twist at the end.
J.M. Muir-Coates
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I liked the different cultures in this Oz and Uk novel. It went down nicely with a rum or two... Looking forward to her second novel to come out...
Beryl Lester
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful first novel! Very easy to read. Some great characters and really enjoyed the descriptions of Goolwa. The ending took me totally by surprise - absolutely amazing!
K McMahon
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Widow’s Lace is written with wonderful descriptive prose. The reader is transported to each setting and place in time, forming close connections with each character and their individual stories. The plot line creates intrigue, reader investment throughout and the ending does not disappoint! A thoroughly enjoyable read.
Belinda Knott
Mandy
May 15, 2020
Malvine
Jun 11, 2020

• The Tower of Nero (The Trials of Apollo, #5)
  • A Mother's Mistake: A gripping psychological thriller.
  • Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Charlie Bucket, #1)
  • Matilda
  • The Catch
  • The Adventure of Wisteria Lodge
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
  • This Is Happiness
  • Silver Blaze and Other Stories (Heinemann Guided Readers, Elementary Level)
  • The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
  • The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock
  • The Historian
  • The Sun Casts No Shadow
  • The Scientist King
  • The Dollmaker
  • The Brave Daughters (The Girls Who Went To War)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Everything is F*cked: A Book About Hope
1 follower
I have a passion for stories, especially those with a dark undercurrent, or a twist to be revealed.

I hope to tell interesting stories that people will find themselves drawn into. Stories that are for entertainment and escape, and hopefully a little thrill of the unexpected.

I truly enjoy the experience of writing, exploring human traits and reactions as well as the darkness that can lurk unexpecte

News & Interviews