Start by marking “The Picture of Dorian Gray” as Want to Read:
The Picture of Dorian Gray

Read Book* *Different edition

The Picture of Dorian Gray

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  757,004 Ratings  ·  22,287 Reviews
This Oscar Wilde classic features an introduction, author bio, discussion questions, recommended reading and suggested reading lists as well as excerpts from Les Fleurs Du Mal by Charles Baudelaire, in the original French.
Paperback, Chatterley Salon, 344 pages
Published April 1st 2005 by Chatterley Press International (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about The Picture of Dorian Gray, please sign up.
Cesar Ramirez Because it represents to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit. Or if you think the book is immoral, it is because it shows you your…moreBecause it represents to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit. Or if you think the book is immoral, it is because it shows you your own shame.(less)
Madawa Wilson possibly how we have an image of ourselves which we try to preserve, but its is our actions that defines us. To look one way and act another is…morepossibly how we have an image of ourselves which we try to preserve, but its is our actions that defines us. To look one way and act another is ruinous. I think there is a meaning of not pretending, not to be a hedonist and not to follow others blindly.(less)

Stephen
PortraitOfDorianGray-review
Arguably literature's greatest study of shallowness, vanity, casual cruelty and hedonistic selfishness, Wilde lays it down here with ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!! This was my first experience in reading Oscar Wilde and the man’s gift for prose and dialogue is magical. This story read somewhat like a dark, corrupted Jane Austen in that the writing was snappy and pleasant on the ear, but the feeling it left you with was one of hopelessness and despair.

The level of cynicism and societal disregard that Wi
Paula
Feb 10, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Scoobs
Oct 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh Dorian. Oh Dorian.

When I first read this book in the fruitless years of my youth I was excited, overwhelmed and a blank slate (as Dorian is, upon his first encounter with Lord Henry) easily molded, persuaded, influenced, etc.

Certain Wildisms (Wildeisms?) would take my breath away. Would become my mottos to believe in. To follow. To live.

Lines like:

"It is silly of you, for there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

"But beauty, real
Barry Pierce
So I read all of Wilde's plays a couple of years ago but for some reason I never read this at the time. This is probably the number one most requested book for me to read. So I read it. Are ya happy now!? ARE YA!?

I really rather enjoyed this. Well, obviously. I mean, did you honestly think I wasn't going to like The Picture of Dorian Gray? It's by Oscar Wilde for fuck's sake. His prose is like spilled honey flowing across a wooden table and waterfalling onto the floor beneath. The viscous liquid
Emily May
"The sitter is merely the accident, the occasion. It is not he who is revealed by the painter; it is rather the painter who, on the coloured canvas, reveals himself. The reason I will not exhibit this picture is that I am afraid that I have shown in it the secret of my own soul."

And so begins this tale of art and sin. I would highly recommend first watching the movie Wilde starring the wonderful Stephen Fry, it is a film which takes the audience on a journey through the life of the tormented w
Ana
“Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic.”

photo 14474271_zps2nqturoy.gif

This book is dark unicorns and rainbows. It's chocolate ice cream with cherries on top. It's a pizza with everything on it. It's a fluffy kitten. It's ice cold lemonade on a hot summer day.

It is absolutely marvellous.

I couldn't help but include this in my review. Keanu Reeves is the real life Dorian Gray.

photo wwwwwwwww_zpsvgnvyjai.jpg
Bookdragon Sean
I finished reading this last night, and afterwards I spent an entire hour staring into space so I could contemplate over the majesty of this work. It left me speechless. This book is exquisite; it is an investigation into the human soul, the power of vanity and the problems of living a life with not a single consequence for your actions. It’s truly powerful stuff.

It begins with a simple realisation, and perhaps an obvious one. But, for Dorian it is completely life changing. He realises that bea
Huda Yahya

ما هو أبشع كابوس تخيلته في حياتك؟
ما الذي تراه أصعب شيء يمكن أن تتعرض له

ماذا لو استطعت تجميع كل خطاياك و تخبئتها في مكان سري لا يعلمه سواك

ماذا لو استطعت أن تنفض يدك عن أي جريمة ارتكبت
وأي شر اقترفت

ماذا لو استطعت تحقيق المستحيل
وضمنت الخلود..؟؟

وماذا لو كان ذلك المكان السري هو وجهك الذي نحته فيلسوف فنان على الورق..

وماذا لو كان بإمكانك رؤية جميع مفاسدك تتجلى يوما بعد يوم على وجهك الكامل الجمال في عيون الكل

سواك..

:::::::::::

ما رأيك يا دوريان في قول المسيح
ماذا يستفيد الإنسان لو خسر روحه وربح العالم أجمع؟
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
The Picture of Dorian Gray is a hard book to review. After reading such eloquent, beautiful, and rich writing, I am at a loss for how to command my comparatively paltry ability to use words to express how I felt about this book.

Forgive me as I go back to AP English for a few moments. I asked myself what were the themes of this novel. Here is my list:

Identity
Experience
Beauty
The triumph on senses over reason
Accountability

I will attempt to build my review, in part, around the discussion of these t
Elyse
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I've read this classic book....but I've loved Oscar Wilde for as long as I can remember.

There is much to take away from this book. Themes exploring shallowness, selfishness, superficiality, hedonism, morality, and flaws of life and being human.

The dialogue is witty and humorous.
Oscar Wilde had great insights on beauty....
I love this quote:
"But beauty, real beauty, ends where an intellectual expression begins. Intellect is in itself a mode of exaggeration, and destroys t
Trevor
Mar 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
This is another of those books I’ve been meaning to read for ages and kept putting off. Although I’ve a particularly good reason for putting this one off, as a very good friend of mine, who died a couple of years ago, spoke to me about this book and I was worried that might make it hard to read for quite other reasons.

He said that when he read this book as a young man it made him certain that he was not homosexual. Now, that in itself was enough to make me curious about the book. This is a book
Petra X
Possessing eternal youth and beauty produces exactly the same effect as sentencing a man to life without the possibility of parole. Both have nothing to lose and morals disappear before the desire for immediate self-gratification in all things. And so it is with Dorian Gray. It's a moral story so eventually his evil catches up with him and he dies, as does the criminal.

Is Oscar Wilde saying that it is man's essential nature, to be so internally psychopathic and selfish that so long as he can ke
Henry Avila
May 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"A face without a heart", so said Shakespeare in Hamlet, but it applies to the portrait of Dorian Gray even better.... When the young gentleman Dorian Gray from a wealthy aristocratic family in Victorian England, has his picture completed something is missing, Basil Hallward, the painter senses it and insists that no one sees his greatest work, except a few people ... The witty Lord Henry Wotton, Dorian's soon to be best friend seems amused, a shy artist! All three are fascinated by the painting ...more
Nayra.Hassan
بسهولة شديدة يستحيل البياض سواد لكن كم هو صعب إعادة البياض لقلب اسود مختوم بالمعاصي..مفتون بالاثام..كقلبك يا دوريان♥
هذا وجهه سمح و ملامحه وضاءة تشع نور
و هذا وجهه فظ غليظ خشن حجب نوره

هل وجوهنا تحمل اثامنا؟
هل تجاعيدنا =خطايانا
بالطبع لا☆ و الا لما كان في اللغة تعبيرات مثل و أسفر عن وجهه. .او اماط اللثام عن ملامحه الحقة... فالشيطان جميل دوما

هل تعبر ملامحنا عن صفاتنا ؟
بمرور الزمن ..نعم ..لهذا كلنا نخاف مرور الزمن..و بصماته التي يتركها حول العيون المبتسمة دوما ....او الجباه العابسةللابد..لكن تظل ا
Paul Bryant
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I don't know what I was quite expecting here. It's a psychological horror story with a lot of comic relief, in the form of the endless witty paradoxes. After page 30 you are thinking that if Lord Henry makes just one more crack you're going to knock his monocle off his family crest and grind it underfoot. Oscar often clearly thinks he's being hilarious with his wit with a capital W – and maybe it's me, but Oscar Wilde often sounds like a parody of Oscar Wilde, like in the Monty Python sketch

WHIS
Melanie

“Some day, when you are old and wrinkled and ugly, when thought has seared your forehead with its lines, and passion branded your lips with its hideous fires, you will feel it, you will feel it terribly.”

So, I wanted 2018 to be the year that I try to get back into classics! In the past, I’ve found some of them daunting to read, or just too boring to ever feel invested in. But I feel like The Picture of Dorian Gray was the perfect start.

Beautiful art by saku-chann on Tumblr

I originally was go
Kalliope
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, britain, ireland, france, 2014

Funny how books are moulded by the circumstances in which they have been read.

In Dorian Gray, some of its aspects are very easy to grasp and do not need great explanations.

For example, Wilde’s epigrammatic style is so very distinct. I have had a lot of fun selecting quotes and peppered with them my reading progress.

His sentences are like small diamonds. They can be held and set against the light and moved around so that their different facets will shine and reflect the world around them. They a
İntellecta
From Dorian's emotional movements, Lord Henry's advice, or Basil Hallward's soulfulness, it is possible for one to take a deeper look into himself and to make new solutions to social behavior. There are many auspicious conclusions to be drawn. The work is original, and the work shines in anarchist accents within this authenticity.
It is a work to be considered, questioned and scrutinized...

Zitat: "ich habe die Weiber, die einen lieben, satt. Weiber, die einen hassen, sind viel interessanter."
Jonathan Terrington
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: classic readers, those who enjoy morals
The Picture of Dorian Gray could also be titled A Portrait of the Human Soul, for in his dark and tragic commentary Oscar Wilde spares no liberties in discussing morality, religion, society and the depths of the human condition. It is a deeply moving and inspired novel centering around the defining power of art. It is not an easy novel to read with its dark elements. For in paying heed to Dorian Gray's demise one is drawn into a reflection of their own spiritual condition.

For those who have no i
Khush
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

To read 'The Picture of Dorian Gray' is to know Oscar Wilde– the man as well as the writer. I love both. The novel has many fascinating aspects.

Wilde writings are not vague in anyways. This is true for his novels, plays and even criticism and they are always deep. One has to stop and re-read very often, his sentences are often crisp, short and yet contain observations that an ordinary person may not 'observe' all his life. One sees such sentences, even paragraphs, which edify and give pleasure,
Johann (jobis89)
"Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic."

Under the influence of a captivating aristocrat, Dorian Gray sells his soul in exchange for prolonged youth and vitality. Part of the deal is that a full-length portrait of Dorian will age and record his sins, whereas he remains unblemished.

Picking one quote from this book was like being asked to read just one book for the rest of your life - nigh-on impossible. I hadn't even thought about how difficult it would be until Tes
Ahmad Sharabiani
809. The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
The Picture of Dorian Gray is a philosophical novel by Oscar Wilde, first published complete in the July 1890 issue of Lippincott's Monthly Magazine.
The Picture of Dorian Gray begins on a beautiful summer day in Victorian era England, where Lord Henry Wotton, an opinionated man, is observing the sensitive artist Basil Hallward painting the portrait of Dorian Gray, a handsome young man who is Basil's ultimate muse. While sitting for the painting, Doria
Fernando
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
"Ningún hombre es lo suficientemente rico para comprar su pasado." Oscar Wilde

Siento por Oscar Wilde una profunda admiración. Es un referente literario imprescindible en mi vida y pocos autores (y personas) me han enseñado tanto acerca de la vida como él. Esta fue la única novela que escribió en su vida. Será recordado por sus hermosos poemas, sus aleccionadores cuentos de hadas y sus afamadísimas obras de teatro. Y también por su escandalosa e irreverente vida.
Wilde fue un bon vivant inolvidab
Amira Mahmoud
هي صورة الأحزان
هي وجه بلا قلب

هي صورة داخل كل منّا، صورة الروح أو صورة النفس أو أيًا ما كان يمكن أن تسميها.
الصورة التي تعكس وجهنا الحقيقيّ الذي لا يعرف عنه الناس شيئًا
يسعى البعض للتفتيش عنها دائمًا، تفقدها بين حين وآخر والعناية بها
والبعض الآخر يتركها، يحاول دفنها وردمها بعيدًا حتى يتراكم عليها العفن والأتربة.
جميعنا يملك هذه الصورة، هذه المرآة؛ تمامًا كدوريان جراي
الفارق الوحيد بيننا وبينه أنها كانت دائمًا أمامه، لا يحتاج للبحث والتفتيش عنها كما يفعل التقاة
ومهما حاول دفنها وتدميرها والهرب منها
Manny
"My dear Jordan!" said Lord Rayner expansively, as the butler discreetly closed the door behind his young visitor. "Really, it is too good to see you again! And what brings you to Cambridge?"

"Oh, this and that," said the lad, flinging himself casually onto a priceless Ikea divan. "By the way, has there been some mistake in the casting? I thought I was female?"

"Well, since we're doing Dorian Gray, I hoped you would have no objection to reversing your gender," said his host. "And besides, is there
ميقات الراجحي
(1)
اللوحة : الـفـكرة تخرج من رأس صاحـبهـا
تبهره تلك التفاصيل الدقيقة في هذا الـوجه
الذي ينز طفولة ورقة وعـذوبة. هو مـشـروع
ناجح بالنسبة للرسام الذي ألتقط الـفـكرة ....

قرأت هذا العمل في بريطانيا – لندن. ولمن يعرف تفاصيل العصر الفكتوري وماقبله وبعده بخمسين عام سيعرف أثر هذه الأجواء على قراءة أوسكار وايلد لنص يعود للقرن التاسع عشر ميلادي علمًا أن أوسكار هو أخر ما أنتجته الفترة الفكتورية ونهضتها الأدبية التي كانت ضمن سلسلة طويلة من الحـضارة كانت أوروبا قد برزت فيه بعد أن أفلت شمس العرب.

كنت أتخيل كل شخ
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(3.5) This reminded me of why I like classics. Some parts dragged on too long but I enjoyed it overall!
Ginger
Jun 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Another classic under my belt!!
I liked this one and I think it's held up over the years. The writing was well done, and the characters were revolting in all of their despicable charm and vanity.

I enjoyed most of the content in this book. After sorting through the self-serving dialogue of Dorian Gray and Lord Henry Wotton, you end up getting some wonderful and well written thoughts by Oscar Wilde!

“Experienc
Fabian
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect, exquisite, everything that was promised to you. This one has quite a high degree of FOLLOW THROUGH. "Gray" is majestic, about the superficial love for oneself. It poses many questions, and as a book of ideas, perhaps the most innovatory in the latter part of the 19th century of them all, it is exactly what a reader wants. Absolute flawlessness, like the young Dorian himself. It's ESSENTIAL. Indeed, the pinnacle of Gay Lit. Comes to us in the rare tradition of too-good-to-be-true, actual ...more
Leo .
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story. Imagine being immortal. Wow! To still be around after hundreds of years. One thing is true, you would know what really happened in the past. Let's face it you would have witnessed something first hand. And today you would read the modern history books and maybe, just maybe...Lol!

All history is just what it means. His. Story. History was predominantly written by men. Left brain and in a draconian way. History to me, whomever wrote it, is theory, opinion and conjecture. How one percei
Play Book Tag: The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde - 4 Stars 7 18 Jun 30, 2018 09:12PM
PewDiePie's Liter...: The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde 1 4 Jun 20, 2018 02:03PM
What do people think of this book? 173 1560 Jun 15, 2018 03:02PM
Around the Year i...: The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde 16 75 Jun 12, 2018 04:49PM
Book Lcub 1 5 May 28, 2018 10:51AM
  • The Fall of the House of Usher
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror
  • The Return of the Native
  • The Late Mattia Pascal
  • Love's Labour's Lost
  • Middlemarch
  • The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling
  • Frankenstein / Dracula / Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde (Signet Classics)
  • The Monk
  • Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
  • Moonfleet
  • Monday or Tuesday
  • Lady Audley's Secret
  • The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E ...more
More about Oscar Wilde

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
  • Where We Belong
    $5.99 $1.49
  • Cashelmara
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things
  • Edward Adrift
  • The Restaurant Critic's Wife
    $3.99 $1.99
“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.” 15602 likes
“You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.” 8312 likes