Start by marking “Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel (Churchill & Pemberley #1)” as Want to Read:
Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel (Churchill & Pemberley #1)

Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel

(Churchill & Pemberley #1)

*** Shortlisted for Amazon UK's Kindle Storyteller Award 2019 ***

Armed with a handbag and fuelled by cake, Annabel Churchill is a mature yet tenacious private detective. Together with her quirky sidekick, Doris Pemberley, she's determined to solve mysteries and chase down criminals in the sleepy English village of Compton Poppleford.

*** A new cozy mystery series from th
Published June 13th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel

Start your review of Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel (Churchill & Pemberley #1)
Nadishka Aloysius
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I bought this book because I am a fan of the author's other series.
However, I was rather disappointed.
I liked the idea of two awkward old ladies running a detective agency. Some of the incidents were quite humorous, like the enactment at the hotel.
But, I found the pace really slow. The shenanigans got old quite fast. And the two detectives came across as silly and annoying. The final big reveal written in Agatha Christie style was not all that it was hyped up to be.
I am unsure whether the wh
Cheryl
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a light hearted read with two main characters, Mrs Churchill and Miss Pemberton. This is set in a village and has all the characteristics of village life. I enjoyed the quirky sense of humour and although they seem to bumble along, getting themselves in and out of many awkward situations, they do surprisingly solve the crime. I don’t know whether I was more surprised that they discovered the culprit or the identity of the murderer.
Amy Samin
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love Organ’s Penny Green series, so I bought this with high expectations. Unfortunately, Organ seems to have fallen into what appears to be a popular trend, that “cozy” mysteries must have a buffoon for a main character. I was hoping for an intelligent puzzle and instead I got slapstick.

I imagine that must be what readers want these days, but I find it painful and annoying to read. I wish Organ every success with this new series. I just hope the farcical tone doesn’t creep into the Penny Gree
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
An often hilarious bit of fluff.
Christy
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another clever mystery with Churchill and Pemberley. It reminds me of a classic who done it when the humorous sleuths gather all the suspects together in the end for the great reveal! There were two uses of profanity and mentions of an affair. While nothing was remotely not clean I would have loved the story even more without these content issues.
Jess Schira
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Just finished reading the first book of 2020. It’s a historical cozy mystery by Emily Organ. Since I love historical, cozies, and Organ’s Penny Green series, I fully expected to be enchanted by Tragedy at Piddleton Hotel. Sadly, I wasn’t. While I found the characters of Churchill and to be relatable and enjoyable and the plot was good, there was something about this book that failed to move me, probably the fact that Churchill was a little arrogant and a bit too unqualified, making her feel like ...more
Evelyn
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun new cozy mystery series by Emily Organ. Mrs. Churchill, widow of Chief Inspector Churchill, decides to buy a detective agency in a small village and set up shop. The agency comes with its own Miss Pemberley, Mr. Atkin's former secretary. Together, the two ladies get started with a murder investigation. Who pushed an old lady down the stairs at the Piddleton Hotel? What follows is mayhem and odd occurences, but the ladies come through in the end. Inspector (but not Chief Inspector) Mappin i ...more
Ann
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure if I would like this at first as it is so different to Emily Organ's previous books. However I did persevere and found it better the more I read. I did find it hard to like Annabelle Churchill and wasn't sure about Doris Pemberley at the start but gradually changed my mind. The pair turned out to be cleverer than expected too.

Light hearted cosy.

There is a hint this could be a good series. Waiting for the next to find out ......
Susan
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
1932. Annabel Churchill widow of DCI of Scotland Yard decides to buy a private detective agency in the village of Compton Poppleford in Dorset. Soon she is employed by the godson to investigate the death of a Mrs Furzgate.
Unfortunately I didn't take to the two main characters or the sense of humour style of writing.
Cyndie
Jun 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I loved the Penny Green series and I enjoyed Runaway Girl, but this one annoyed me. I think the main character was supposed to come across as quirky, but I thought she was annoying, clueless, and ditzy. I only finished the book to see how in the world she could figure out the case.
Betsy
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
I had hopes for this series, but Mrs. Churchill's irritating personality put paid to that. Won't be reading any more.
Christy
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Short mystery where Churchill and Pemberley are suspects in thievery after riding the train with an opera singer!
George
May 02, 2020 rated it liked it
#1 in the Churchill and Pemberley mystery series. It is 1932 when the widow of a Scotland Yard chief detective inspector, portly Annabel Churchill (probably in her 60's, a bit over weight & cantankerous and pretty much oblivious to her being akin to a bull in a china shop) purchases a detective agency in Compton Poppleford in Dorset and relocates from London. There she discovers that the agency comes with Doris Pemberley (probably in her 40's, not overly assertive while possessing all kinds of i ...more
Andrew McAuley
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A charming book.

Not quite what I expected. I thought I was in for an amateur attempt at Agatha Christie, but what I read was a cross between Miss Marple, Mrs Bucket and Basil Fawlty. Brilliant!

The plot initially seemed somewhat thin, but pans out to be much cleverer than expected. The author seems to concentrate on the humour while the mystery almost follows second, but that's not a bad thing as I found it left me feeling like I'd underestimated the mystery element.

The characters are not overly
Vicky
Apr 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I like a cozy mystery, and I enjoyed another of this author's books - limelight, so I was sure I'd like this series. However, I found it just too silly. The characters were not at all believable, more characatures than anything else. I doubt I will read Amy more of this series, but will probably go back to the other one.

An older lady decides to buy a detective agency in a town she has never visited. Her only qualification is that she was married to a detective, but there is no indication that s
Mr G
Sep 11, 2020 rated it did not like it
A very poor attempt to cash in on the "Agatha Raisin" market - older, assertive amateur sleuth. The main character (constantly referred to in the book by her surname) is beyond caricature, more like a pantomime dame. The plot is equally lame - could have been an entry in a schoolchildren's "Write a silly story" competition.
I haven't read any of this author's other books and, after this, I certainly won't be doing.
Éowyn
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
A mystery set in a Dorset village, the main character was just too irritating and unlikeable and I thought the culprit a little too obvious. I wouldn't bother with any more in this series - although pleased to see other reviewers say the Penny Green series is better as I have a couple of those on my Kindle!
Carla T. Doub
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful read

Am normally not one for mysteries....but came upon this book and am glad I did. It is a great book. I am fixing to read the 2nd book in this series. It's very funny and I laughed out loud several times. The ending was well written ....... Just a delightful read.
Walter Schlillinger
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A Little Midsummer Murders

A delightful quick read for these pandemic days. Nothing heartbreaking or earthshaking. Fun eccentric characters and a little like Midsummer Murders and Mrs Marple all rolled into one . Got the chuckles about all the tea drinking and pastry eating. As I noted this is a book that is the perfect example of light reading. So enjoy I did.
sarah williams
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shoddy, bubbling, awkward

Like a poorer or what to be, Agatha Raisin, this book bumbles along. Conversations going nowhere, Churchill and Pemberly both seem stupid, they bumble and fumble, Read Lady Hardcastle instead. Much better read. I wished this was good, but it's nonsense, there is little to no descriptive passages and the conversations are inane. Skip it!
Carole
Sep 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Easy read that made me chuckle. Love the characters and because of the way it was written had a picture in my head very early on what these people looked like. Guessed the ending, but it didn't spoil the story. Loved the 'cases' that Mr Atkins had already solved. Looking forward to reading the next one.
Melissa MacKenzie
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Not a bad start to a new series. Was a little worried about Churchill's treatment of Pemberley at the beginning but as I read on, I brighten up a bit on her treatment. A good story and am looking forward to the next book.
Mandy Marsh
May 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed these new characters. Thought some of the little plays on other “famous cases” for Atkins previous cases were amusing. These two ladies made me laugh out loud and there is something of the Agatha Raisin about it. Will def move on to book two. Thank you so much for them
M.E. Brady
May 27, 2020 rated it it was ok
The situation was contrived in a way that was largely unbelievable. The characters were uninteresting and the conclusion was predictable. I read the entire story, but not because I wanted to learn the ending. I figured that out halfway through.
Dee
Sep 16, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was mildly entertaining - a break from my usual speculative fiction. But I have to say, were I in the village where this story look place, I would have kept far away from Mrs Churchill. Such an annoying person :-P
Alice
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
Daft - a bit too "cosy" and farfetched even for me
Jac
Apr 08, 2020 added it
I enjoyed it very much, cute story
Iain Glithero
Apr 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Interesting,but a little predictable .

After reading some other books in a similar genre, this was a little soft. Female duos can do so much more.
Jamie
Apr 21, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit
I like a breezy, cozy mystery as much as the next person, but this book was dreadful. The language was trite and flat. The characters were clichés with no redeeming qualities. I couldn't finish.
Tracey Turville
Apr 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Boring and didn’t hold my interest. Didn’t finish.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Death Beside the Seaside (Lady Hardcastle Mystery #6)
  • The Burning Issue of the Day (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries, #5)
  • A Shot in the Dark (Mydworth Mysteries  #1)
  • Murder at the Dolphin Hotel (A Miss Underhay Mystery #1)
  • Murder at Enderley Hall (A Miss Underhay Mystery #2)
  • The Black Cat Murders (Heathcliff Lennox #2)
  • A Picture of Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries, #4)
  • A Little Night Murder (Mydworth Mysteries #2)
  • Mr Lynch's Prophecy: A Clara Fitzgerald Mystery (The Clara Fitzgerald Mysteries Book 16)
  • The Vicarage Murder (Monica Noble, #1)
  • Murder in the Shadows (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #16)
  • The Curse of Braeburn Castle (Heathcliff Lennox #3)
  • A Simple Country Funeral (Helen Lightholder #2)
  • A Friendly Little Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #13)
  • A Jolly Little Murder (The Violet Carlyle Mysteries #17)
  • Murder by Midnight (Miss Alice #1)
  • A Very English Murder (A Lady Eleanor Swift Mystery #1)
  • Murder at Melrose Court (Heathcliff Lennox #1)
Emily Organ is the author of the popular Penny Green Victorian mystery series which counts over half a million downloads worldwide. The first book in her Churchill & Pemberley cozy mystery series was shortlisted for Amazon UK's Kindle Storyteller Award in 2019.

Get a free Penny Green read: emilyorgan.com/westminster-bridge
Get a free Churchill & Pemberley read: emilyorgan.com/a-troublesome-c

Churchill & Pemberley (6 books)
  • Murder in Cold Mud (Churchill & Pemberley #2)
  • Puzzle in Poppleford Wood (Churchill & Pemberley #3)
  • Christmas Calamity at the Vicarage (Churchill & Pemberley #3.5)
  • Trouble in the Churchyard (Churchill & Pemberley #4)
  • Wheels of Peril (Churchill & Pemberley #5)