Start by marking “Thirst (Thirst Duology, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thirst (Thirst Duology, #1)

Thirst

(Thirst Duology #1)

A waterborne disease has sprung up in every corner of the globe, decimating the human race. Seventeen-year-old Eli McShane and his friends flee the chaos and violence in Phoenix and journey north toward the rumored location of a safe water source. They add several to their number, including a mysterious girl named Hannah, who, unknown to Eli, is being hunted by a dangerous ...more
Published November 21st 2019 by Novel Teen Press (first published November 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Thirst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thirst

Start your review of Thirst (Thirst Duology, #1)
Ashley Townsend
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I haven’t read a dystopian that captured my attention in a LONG time, but this story immediately grabbed me. It has plenty of humor to lighten the gravity of these characters’ situation, but my palms were sweating during several scenes, imagining myself in their shoes. It’s a wild ride, and I loved this story!!
Jane
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is such an engaging read! I've never really read an apocalyptic book before, so this was a first for me, and I'm counting it a success!

Since this is a prequel series to the Safe Lands Trilogy, it was so fun seeing some of the "great grandparents and founders of life" as the safe lands characters knew it...when they were just teens trying to survive. Eli was so realistic and each character had their own 3D personality.

The beginning felt a little bit slow, though still intense and eerie, but
Madeline Roush
Sep 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
The cover is gorgeous! Comes out 11/21/19!!
Kara
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It officially took me 2 days to read this, but it's a FAST read and it kind of leaves you intensely wanting more though it is not a cliff hanger ending. This book is such a heartbreaking story, but it's so good it PULLS you in and refuses to let go. Sensitive readers be aware, there are dead bodies (both human and animal) described in some detail at the beginning and loved ones are part of that (if you're like me, you're there with them trying to figure out what YOU would do in their shoes). Tha ...more
David
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Jill Williamson is a favorite author. Her award-winning Blood of Kings trilogy remains a favorite coming-of-age tale, and her Kinsman Chronicles, written for adults, is an excellent read as well. Thirst is a new prequel to her Captives series, written for young adults.

Jill's characters are well-developed, grow during the tale, and have realistic friction and disagreement as they try to understand and survive a water-borne epidemic. It's a wild account of desperation, uncertainty, leadership, hon
Kristen Parnell
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thirst pulls you in from the first page, and the adrenaline rush rarely slows down. A youth group camping trip returns from a retreat in the woods, only to discover that most of the earth's water sources have been contaminated by a comet, killing a large percentage of the population. They have to band together to try to salvage what's left of their families - and forage for themselves as they head toward a rumored safe water source.

Perhaps reading this book during a worldwide pandemic was poor
Gary Deveau
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Getting Thirsty Yet???

The book has you at the edge of your chair, wondering who would be next or what bad thing would happened next. Then there would be a blessing g which made you want to read more. Very well written, to keep you locked intoreading.
Jane
May 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can’t Wait for Next Book!!!

Since I read the “Safelands” trilogy when it was first published, it is really amazing to find out from where everything first happened. As always, Jill Williamson’s characterizations are great, and one feels truly immersed in their stories. I personally tend to forget that they are just teenagers until they do stupid teenager things and then I just want to roll my eyes and be the mom (or grandma) that I am and read on to find out how they get out of the situation.
Ove
Julie Fugate
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Don't drink the water!
Most of the population didn’t know this of course so they are already dead by the time Eli and his friends return from their camping trip. To survive you have to scavage safe water and watch out for all the people who’d take advantage of a bunch of kids.
I love survival stories and this one did not disappoint. Eli is honest, humble, and smart. A leader who doesn’t want to lead. I also liked most of the other characters and there’s even that person that you hate to love beca
Meagan Myhren-bennett
Thirst
Thirst Duology #1
By Jill Williamson

Eli McShane and his friends have been taking part in a wilderness survival adventure, never realizing that the skills they had learned would be needed just hours later. During the 2-weeks they were gone the world changed forever and people are dying everywhere. And it is into this unknown that they are about to enter.

Thirst is aptly named as the world's water supply has almost overnight become contaminated and there are no known means to purify it. Bathin
Jessica Dowell
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was one intense read! Oh. My. Goodness. The slow-building tension from the very first chapter makes it very hard to put this book down. It was easy to imagine I was in the characters' place, experiencing one weird life change after another.

Eli's struggle with the role of a leader is completely relatable, whether you are 17 or 37. I felt for him so much. He does not want to be a leader, but no one else is stepping up. His goal is to get everyone to safety as quickly as he can so that someon
Rebekah Gyger
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great prequel. I had loved The Safe Lands trilogy, but admittedly never cared about what happened before that. However, once I saw that Jill was going to finish and publish Thirst, I decided to give it a try, and I am so glad that I did!

When the world as they know it starts to end, Eli and his friends are oblivious for two full weeks. By the time they realize what is happening, the fight for survival is already in full swing. I loved this concept and enjoyed seeing Eli react in the moment
Tucker Edwards
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
A thrilling read! Highly recommend if you’ve read the Safe Lands Trilogy (by Jill Williamson) or even if you haven’t the story is easy to follow. This book had me on the edge of my seat at times and keep me turning the page. There are some small romantic bits in the book and some death which may be bothersome to readers.
Here is a quote from Thirst that was inspirational.

“Oh, son. Leadership isn’t about control. It isn’t about bossing people around and having them jump to obey. It’s about workin
Deena
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Say dystopian and I automatically get depressed. So many of today's YA novels give a break outlook on the future. So it's not my go-to genre.

BUT...

Not so with Thirst, the first in a Dystopian duology by Jill Williamson! I was CAPTIVATED from page one, and held my breath until the final page turned! And such HOPE, such HUMANITY, such HUMOR!

Williamson had crafted a story that, by all rights, should be bleak and hopeless. Instead, Thirst is filled with faith and light.

Don't get me wrong: tragedy oc
Carol Brandon
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
throughly enjoyed this apocalyptic novel. A comet has somehow contaminated all the ground water on Earth, leaving billions dead. Eli and his friends were on a camping trip, and had no idea what was going on. They get back home and discover what’s been happening. Eli becomes the unofficial leader and uses his street smarts to help his sister and his friends survive. They encounter a lot of obstacles. I liked the realism of the “world building”, and the character development. Eli, a 17 year old, h ...more
Jennie Webb
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced story that keeps you reading and wanting to know what's going to happen next! Realistic characters. Sometimes I got so caught up in the story that when I went to get a drink I wondered if I should be drinking the water!! Why, you wonder? Well, you'll have to read it to find out!
Now I must read the next book, but I can't...yet...
I love the cover of this book too, don't you?
Great for teens and young adults, especially.
I received a preview copy from the author in exchange for an honest r
Fire
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing start to this Duology and even more so as a prequel to the Safe Lands series that Williamson wrote. It is fun to dive back into the Safe Lands series and see what events lead to life as it was in that series.

This is a fast-paced exciting read and full of the unexpected. I really enjoyed reading this, it was all so vivid in my mind that I felt like I was along for the ride with Eli and the gang. It was a wild ride and I'm so glad I was in on the adventure.

This is an amazing st
Stephen
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great start for a new series

I really enjoyed the safelands series and when this came up on my radar I was delighted. Jill does a good job of developing characters not by describing them so much but putting them through things. I think this is something that Davis Bunn also does well if you like his works. Enjoyed the level of action and character development. There was one error at the part where they’re crossing the bridge where they use the word father for further. I hope the wait isn’t too l
Tracie
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this story of how it all began, before the Safe Lands trilogy takes place. I enjoyed learning what shapes Zach and Eli’s characters and how they acquire the skills they will need for the future. This book has plenty of page-turning tension. It also has, for a dystopian novel, a very believable and satisfactory ending. Recommended reading for those who enjoyed the Safe Lands trilogy, as well as new readers. Looking forward to the next installment in Eli’s story!
Ria
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Positively Concussive!

The story never stops to take a breath, but thoroughly explores what it means to be a leader and the hits you take along the way! (A quality I really admire.)
Margaret Nelson
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Great book!! It's full of heart-stopping plot twists, great characters, and good insights into things like what true leadership is. If you like speculative fiction, this is a must-read! Can't wait for the next book!!
Morgan
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
So good! I love this book. Now when does the next one come out?
Bethany Baldwin
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I read a whole book in a few hours. But now I have to wait a whole year for another one auguhsii!!!"

Actually have no idea when HUNGER is happening but I can't wait.
Cate
Jan 20, 2020
Mindychumbley
Jun 27, 2020
A Alison
rated it did not like it
Jan 30, 2020

• Fierce Heart (Elven Alliance #1)
  • The Story Hunter (The Weaver Trilogy, #3)
  • Cry of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #3)
  • The End of the Magi
  • Flight of the Raven (The Ravenwood Saga, #2)
  • A Christmas Carol
  • To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
  • Blaze (Blaze, #1)
  • War Bound (Elven Alliance #2)
  • Collateral Damage (Danger Never Sleeps, #1)
  • Juniper Unraveling (Juniper Unraveling, #1)
  • In Dyer Need: The First Chapter (Ren Dyer, #1)
  • Hope's Highest Mountain (Heirs of Montana, #1)
  • Court of Fives (Court of Fives, #1)
  • The Story Peddler (The Weaver Trilogy, #1)
  • Anyone But Her
  • The Truth
  • HANNAH'S PREDICTION (FEEDING THE WORLD Book 5)
Jill Williamson is a chocolate loving, daydreaming, creator of kingdoms and an award-winning fantasy and science fiction author of over twenty books including By Darkness Hid, which won several awards and was named a Best Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror novel of 2009 by VOYA magazine.

She has also written several books on the craft of writing fiction and teaches writing in person and online o