Start by marking “Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking: Powerful, Practical Strategies to Build a Lifetime of Resilience, Flexibility, and Happiness” as Want to Read:

A leading clinical expert in the fields of child cognitive behavior therapy and anxiety disorders, Dr. Tamar Chansky frequently counsels children (and their parents) whose negative thinking creates chronic or occasional emotional hurdles and impedes optimism, flexibility, and happiness. Now, in the first book that specifically focuses on negative thinking in kids, Freeing ...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published September 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freeing Your Child from Negative Thinking

Catherine Mikkelsen
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a tome of a book. It's like interviewing a top-level specialist! It's got great information, but I write books that overwhelmed parents can immediately use, and I have some suggestions:

First of all, look at the table of contents. See how it only mentions one level down in the chapters? Well that's not true. The material goes down several levels Because of this, you might want to copy down the sections you like on an index card so that you can remember them.

Each of the chapters has really
Elizabeth
Jan 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mamalove
Wow. This book is informative and helpful! As a parent of a kid who can be a bit of an "awfulizer" I really appreciated the NUMEROUS strategies and ideas to manage negative thoughts. The section on ways to transition to strategies was brilliant. I have often felt uncertain on how to work through difficult moments with my kids and find myself using suggestions for doing so directly from this book. Better yet, I am learning right along with my child and I think it has been a good thing for all fiv ...more
Maria
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is a great, practical resource for parents and educators. It explains why some children think negatively, how their negative thinking affects them, and tools to get them on the "positive track."

I personally used many tactics in this book with my daughter and had much success. The only reason I gave it a four was because, in some instances, I thought the information could be better organized.
Stephanie
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great ideas to keep a young negative mind on track and the rest around them calm.
Cathy
Jan 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2018
I got into this book thinking it's a book on positive parenting, or on how to communicate well with your kids. It's neither. =P Instead it's about how to counsel your child when he/she tends to overreact (e.g. meltdown, think radical thoughts like "everyone hates me," or even become suicidal) to negative experiences. The first interesting thing I learned is that this tendency to think/react negatively is likely due to genetic markup. The second interesting I learned is, even though this tendency ...more
Dan Pasquini
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I hesitate to dump on a book that is about freeing the mind from negative thinking, and which clearly comes from a place of compassion and a desire to help -- but for me, her cloying attempts to connect with the reader made for the bad chemistry that I wouldn't want with my therapist.

The pop culture references, inspirational quotes and everyday examples she uses to try to bring her writing to life never quite land and often don't relate to what she's saying at all. The attempts at humor might wo
Carrie
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a powerful read for me. It opened my eyes to some very important concepts. We come wired with the way we think about things, but it doesn't mean it should control us or send us on a downward spiral.

This book gives solutions to negative thinking that work and are practical and lasting....things that actually change the paths in the brain so that when something negative comes our way we can automatically recognize it for what it is and then change our view of it and move forward.

I've re
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A great book with practical advice for everyone. Even if your child doesn't tend towards the negative, this book details how to help your child maintain a positive outlook. The book teaches you how to coach your child as you analyze a problem and find out what part went wrong instead of your child thinking that "everything" went wrong. By coach, I do mean coach, the author definitely discourages parents from solving kids' problems. Research has shown that kids who have a more optimistic outlook
A.L. Stumo
Mar 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
As self-help books go, this one has a good balance of theory to examples to advice. As an advice treasure chest, the advice was very intellectual/rational. It relies on the parent being clever and out-thinking the problem. I think more behavioral advice that was action-oriented might be better, but then the problem is in thinking so...
Cristin
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very helpful read in understanding how negative thinking works and ways to help reroute those thoughts. Many of the strategies are geared toward older kids but I found ways to adapt or use only applicable strategies for elementary aged children and they definitely helped.
Annabananarun Anawalt
Feb 10, 2009 is currently reading it
I am loving this book! I highly recommend it to anyone who is struggling with a child who has negative thought patterns.. Also if you as an adult struggle with this - it is super insightful. This author is full of wisdom. I have not completed it yet, but read enough to know its very helpful!
Les
Reading bits slowly as time permits.
Lanita
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
This had some great ideas and I took lots of notes. However, I can see it is going to take some practice implementing these kinds of dialogue. It would be a handy book to have on hand!
Almah
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Every parent must read.
Maya
Mar 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, education
Excellent ideas for working with children and adolescents and responding to negative thinking in kids. WEll written and organized.
Susan
Jan 18, 2009 added it
This is a great book on this issue, lots of good ideas and strategies for children and teens.
Regina
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
I found the writing painfully dry. Read the bulleted points on page 239 for a summation of her advice and save several mind-numbing hours.
Jennifer Clune
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • Under Pressure: Rescuing Childhood from the Culture of Hyper-Parenting
  • Helping Your Anxious Child: A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents
  • A Still Quiet Place: A Mindfulness Program for Teaching Children and Adolescents to Ease Stress and Difficult Emotions
  • Smart Parenting for Smart Kids: Nurturing Your Child's True Potential
  • Lighting Their Fires: Raising Extraordinary Children in a Mixed-up, Muddled-up, Shook-up World
  • Conquer Negative Thinking for Teens: A Workbook to Break the Nine Thought Habits That Are Holding You Back
  • Escaping the Endless Adolescence: How We Can Help Our Teenagers Grow Up Before They Grow Old
  • What to Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Problems with Anger
  • I'd Listen to My Parents If They'd Just Shut Up: What to Say and Not Say When Parenting Teens
  • Breaking the Good Mom Myth: Every Modern Mom's Guide to Getting Past Perfection, Regaining Sanity, and Raising Great Kids
  • Different Minds: Gifted Children with AD/HD, Asperger Syndrome, and Other Learning Deficits
  • How To Be The Parent You Always Wanted To Be
  • The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child: With No Pills, No Therapy, No Contest of Wills
  • The Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness: Five Steps to Help Kids Create and Sustain Lifelong Joy
  • Acquainted with the Night: A Parent's Quest to Understand Depression and Bipolar Disorder in His Children
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: The Clinically Proven Five-Week Program for Parents of Two- to Six-Year-Olds
  • Emotional Intensity in Gifted Students: Helping Kids Cope with Explosive Feelings
AKA Tamar Ellsas Chansky