Start by marking “After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot, #31)” as Want to Read:
After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot, #31)

After the Funeral

(Hercule Poirot #31)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  27,613 ratings  ·  1,477 reviews
The master of a Victorian mansion dies suddenly – and his sister is convinced it was murder…. When Cora is savagely murdered with a hatchet, the extraordinary remark she made the previous day at her brother Richard’s funeral suddenly takes on a chilling significance. At the reading of Richard’s will, Cora was clearly heard to say: ‘It’s been hushed up very nicely, hasn’t i ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Berkley (first published March 1953)

To ask other readers questions about After the Funeral, please sign up.
Miguel Ros In the book, George is Richard's nephew and that's all. He becomes the son of Helen in the TV movie with David Suchet. And then it turns out, in the T…moreIn the book, George is Richard's nephew and that's all. He becomes the son of Helen in the TV movie with David Suchet. And then it turns out, in the TV movie I mean, he's Richard's son with Helen, instead of Leo's son with Helen.(less)

·  27,613 ratings  ·  1,477 reviews

Start your review of After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot, #31)
Dita
May 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dita by: Evgeny
Shelves: audiobook
This isn't one of my girl's best because it is "Poirot light". He only appears a handful of times but it is still fabulous because the family dynamics are Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs and I am always in for that.

I also loved that Poirot was upstaged in solving this one and as usual I was blown away by both the who and the why.

Rock on Aggie.
Sumit RK
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
For in the long run, either through a lie, or through truth, people were bound to give themselves away…

A Poirot mystery set in the post World War II Era. A sad reminder that Poirot is now old & retired & that the writer has now slowly started moving away from the Poirot character… An era where Christie had started focusing more on Marple than Poirot.

Story: A wealthy man dies & his relatives gather after his funeral for the reading of his will, during which his sister states that he was murdere

Ahmad Sharabiani
Funerals Are Fatal = After the Funeral (Hercule Poirot #31), Agatha Christie

After the Funeral is a work of detective fiction by Agatha Christie and first published in March 1953.

The book features the author's Belgian detective Hercule Poirot, but the Murder at the Gallop film adaptation instead featured her amateur sleuth, Miss Marple.

A wealthy man dies at home. His relatives gather after his funeral for the reading of his will, during which his sister states that he was murdered. The next day,
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT:"I may," said Poirot in a completely unconvinced tone, "be wrong."
Morton smiled. "But that doesn't often happen to you?"
"No. Though I will admit - yes, I am forced to admit - that it has happened to me."
"I must say I'm glad to hear it! To be always right must be sometimes monotonous."
"I do not find it so," Poirot assured him.

ABOUT THE BOOK: Hercule Poirot is called on to investigate the murder of a brother and sister in this classic from the Queen of Mystery.

When Cora Lansquenet is savag
Evgeny
May 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A rich guy had decency to die just in time for his surviving relatives to inherit his money just when they needed it. It so happened that they all desperately needed it at that time. Right after the funeral during the reading of the will one of them suggested the dead guy was helped to the afterlife - quite tactlessly I might add.
Reading of the will
The family lawyer Mr. Entwistle thought it was peculiar.

A couple of days later the tactless relative was brutally murdered. Again Mr. Entwistle thought it was peculia
carol.
Apr 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Christie, spare writing, Poirot
Shelves: mystery

from my blog, where it is much easier to give links, pictures and half-stars at https://clsiewert.wordpress.com/2015/...

Goodness, but I’m a reading disaster when it comes to Christie books. At one point in After the Funeral, I felt I knew who the murderer was, and when I flipped to check if I was right (oh, the horror!)–yes, I did that—I was. But I got no pleasure out of my powers of deduction, as I’m almost positive I’ve read this at least once before. Possibly twice. So that’s a sad statement
Luffy
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star
I had fears for this lesser known and ultimately excellent book by Agatha Christie. This French translation was done by Yves Massip, and he did a perfect job of it. The murders in this book were very relevant.

The denouement of the plot, was abetted by a concise story. The book is imaginative, daring, original (but not entirely), functional, and elicited an inquisitive mood.

This book is criminally(pun intended) underrated. I read that the culprit barely appeared in the book. Wrong. Read for yours
David Schaafsma
Agatha Christie’s #31 Hercule Poirot mystery is the work of a writer that at this point knows her craft so well that she can do it almost in her sleep. And this story has a lot of sleep in it, and dreams. And a couple of funerals. I preferred the original title, After the Funeral, because it speaks to the more serious literary tone of this book (compared to the more comic tone she often seems to be going for, that would match Funerals are Fatal, which isn’t exactly accurate, as you are led to be ...more
Adrian
A fabulous Poirot. More tomorrow

So I, and a number of other people are now well into the third year of our Group Buddy Read of all of Agatha Christie's Poirot Novels and short stories, and whilst some of the novels fade in my memory, I can imagine this one will stay with me.

Poirot is asked by an old acquaintance and family lawyer to investigate the possible murder of his old friend and also the murder of his old friends sister just days after the funeral. Is there even a connection especially hi
Ken
Sep 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't let Dame Agatha's 130th Birthday pass without reading a Poirot - especially as it's also the hundredth anniversary of his first appearance in Christie's debut novel.

It was a slight shame that this actually turned out to be a Poirot-lite mystery, though the family drama aspect of following the array of potential suspects actually make for a great whodunit with numerous red herrings.

Following the funeral of Richard Abernethie his sister Cora declares that she thinks his death wasn't thr
Jason Koivu
Nov 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I used to make fun of Scooby Doo and how the gang would unmask the villain at the end, specifically how the villain would inevitably and hurriedly admit to the crime. Then I started reading Agatha Christie's books and I realized where they picked up the habit.

Now, don't get me wrong, Christie's mysteries are wonderful reads. So much fun! I especially love Hercule Poirot. It's a shame it takes such a long time for him to show up in After the Funeral. Much of the groundwork is laid out by a lawyer
John
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this Poirot story. The sister after the funeral makes the startling statement that of course he was murdered. Then she is murdered. What follows is a classic of misdirection and red herrings.

It stumped me even with the clues. Perhaps it was because all of the family were so unlikeable that the murderer is such a surprise.
Piyangie
Apr 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic-mystery
Agatha Christie never runs out on ideas, now, does she? And this is her 31st installment of the Poirot series, among others.

After the Funeral is another great murder-mystery story by her. It is a very interesting story with a strong, intelligent, and original plot. I was quite taken in for a ride with so many turns that I was a little disoriented as to the crime and the criminal. I assure you, the crime was baffling too because after all, (view spoiler)
Vikas Singh
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
Unorthodox storyline. Relatively smaller novel in length than other Poirot novels, it all begins when the deceased's sister makes a comment that her brother was murdered. In true Christie style all family members are suspects. Poirot joins and solves the murder. Interesting read.
Andy
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poirot, 2011
Ah Poirot, how I enjoy you with your funny egg shaped head, your sleek moustaches and your willingness to embrace the rampant racism present in the average Englishman all in the pursuit of a tricksy murderer. This lovely hardcover facsimile edition has been sitting on my shelf for a while waiting to be read and it's really a very enjoyable Poirot whodunnit.

We have a stately home reaching the end of it's life along with the owner, a death swiftly followed by a second and a small cast of eccentric
Nandakishore Varma
The story starts after the funeral of Richard Abernethie, when his scatterbrain sister Cora makes a wild statement: "But he was murdered, wasn't he?" There is no such scandal, and everybody admonishes Cora - but the seed of doubt has been sown. Because the silly Cora has in the past been known to blurt out unwelcome truths.

Then, the next day, Cora is bludgeoned to death...

-------------------------------------------

This is an exquisitely structured novel with plenty of characterisation. As with a
Raya راية
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

unbelievable one!

------------
my favorite quotes:

...
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.
Roman Clodia
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After some of her exotic settings, Christie returns to the classic English country house and the multigenerational cast of suspects. The plot is fiendish, Poirot spots a giveaway clue in full sight, and red herrings are scattered liberally. A murder is particularly violent in this book so the squeamish need to watch out. And that motive...!
NILTON TEIXEIRA
I was introduced to Agatha Christie during my teens, by my older sister who was an avid reader.
I’m a huge fan and she’s been my favourite author. I have read all of her works (including the plays and the romance series). She is probably the only author that I don’t mind re-reading.
This is the third time that I read this book, but the first time in English.
In my opinion this is not one of her greatest work.
Don’t get me wrong. It still has all the elements that made her the queen of mystery.
Once a
Veronique
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“It is a profound belief of mine that if you can induce a person to talk to you for long enough, on any subject whatever, sooner or later they will give themselves away!”

Our dear Agatha does it again, offering us a really vile group of people, all perfectly possible murderers, and yet baffling you once more. I did remember who it was but this allowed me to focus on the rest instead and lead me to wonder if sometimes the crime is only the carrot she dangles to attract her readers, the ‘meat’ of
Ellie
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
For fans of the inimitable Hercules Poirot, After the Funeral is a delightful visit to Agatha Christie-land. The usual suspects-beautiful, ruthless women, somewhat crooked young men, plotting spinsters are gathered at the big denouement Christie does so well.

I can always turn to Christie when I need a comfortable place to situate myself in and this was no disappointment. I had my own choices for the ending but hers worked quite as well. This may, sadly, be the last of hers I had not yet read but
Gary Sundell
Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had me guessing until the end. Hugh Fraser does a wonderful job on the audio version.
☮Karen
I went through a time in high school when I read nothing but Agatha Christie, setting me up for a lifetime love of mysteries. Thing is I don't remember any of them. I think they were Miss Marple, not Poirot. Now every once in a while I try to sneak in a Christie here and there.

For a challenge, I needed a book published in 1953. Poirot was semi-retired then (I think Agatha was about fed up with him after 30 previous books), so his part is small until he gathers everyone together at the end with h
BrokenTune
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
3.5*

Should murder make sense? Mr Entwhistle wondered. Academically the answer was yes. But many pointless crimes were on record. It depended, Mr Entwhistle reflected, on the mentality of the murderer.

This was my first time reading After the Funeral, but, of course, it is the story that is loosely used as the story in Murder at the Gallop, that classic Marple film starring the incomparable Margaret Rutherford.

This is all wrong, of course. After the Funeral is a Poirot mystery, not a Marple.

Bu
Jim
"...reading an Agatha Christie novel is, above all else, great fun." -
Sophie Hannah

Open an Agatha Christie book and you step into a different time and a different world. Here the time is post World War II but the setting feels Victorian. There is the mansion, the old and loyal butler, and of course there is the family.

The story opens with the family of the late Richard Abernethie returning to his mansion following the funeral. Abernethie's sister, Cora Lansquenet, shocks everyone when she sudde
Elizabeth (Alaska)
I think Christie is the best after a long hard day or after a hard read. Unfortunately, I wasn't experiencing either of these conditions when I picked this up. Her prose is fairly simple and she offers little in the way of characterization. Christie is for plot. OK, it's for plot, just go with it, I told myself.

There is the premise here that a man who for all appearances has died a natural death, may have been poisoned. Poirot is consulted. Without giving too much away, it is easy to see the pre
Obsidian
Oct 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Only read this book if you want to read all of the Poirot books. Otherwise skip it. Seriously.

Some of the most despicable characters and an ending that had to be the dumbest one yet for a Christie novel.

Once again we have very little Poirot to start with. This book starts at the reading of the will of the late Richard Abernethie. The whole family is left money, though his sister Cora mentions that he had to have been murdered. This disturbs other members of the family and the family solicitor, M
Jerry
Sep 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good...but not the best from this author.

• Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #45.5)
  • Spider's Web
  • The Monogram Murders (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #1)
  • Closed Casket (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #2)
  • The Mystery of Three Quarters (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #3)
  • The Unexpected Guest
  • Queen's Gambit: Camelot West Virginia, Season One, Episode Three

Agatha Christie is the best-selling author of all time. She wrote 66 crime novels and story collections, fourteen plays, and six novels under a pseudonym in Romance. Her books have sold over a billion copies in the English language and a billion in t

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee: A Mystery Play in Three Acts (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)