Start by marking “Marisol: Spanish Rose (Charleston Brides #1)” as Want to Read:
Marisol: Spanish Rose (Charleston Brides #1)

Marisol: Spanish Rose

(Charleston Brides #1)

Escaping to the New World is her only option...Rescuing her will wrap the chains of the Inquisition around his neck.

Marisol Valentin flees Spain after murdering the nobleman who molested her. She ends up for sale on the indentured servants' block at Charles Town harbor—dirty, angry, and with child. Her hopes are shattered, but she must find a refuge for herself and the chi
Published November 12th 2019 by Wild Heart Books

To ask other readers questions about Marisol, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marisol

Start your review of Marisol: Spanish Rose (Charleston Brides #1)
MaryLu Tyndall
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What do you get when you cross a Spanish lady on the run for murder with a handsome pirate who used to be a priest? A great adventurous romance with tons of twists and turns, romance, danger, suspense, and well, everything you'd want in a good book. I immediately connected with the characters, felt sympathy for them, and rooted for them as they faced one harrowing situation after another. Rarely does a book keep me on the edge of my seat through the entire story! Ms. Martin has a real knack for ...more
Melissa Henderson
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Action and intrigue from the first page. Marisol has to make the best decisions for herself and her son. Her life is filled with danger and uncertainties, but she will do anything to provide protection for the ones she cares about. The author gives great details that brought the scenes to life. I could picture the ships, the stables, the homes and Marisol. I look forward to reading more by Elva Cobb Martin. I was given a complimentary copy of the book. No review was required.
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Several things drew me to this book. It is the first in Elva Cobb Martin’s new Charleston Brides series, and when possible, I like to start at the beginning of a series. It is also set during the Colonial era, which I always enjoy reading about, and the book summary sounded interesting. Had I not been given the opportunity to review it, I probably would not have picked this one up, and as I have mentioned before, this is one of the best parts of being a book reviewer. I try to challenge myself t ...more
Denise Weimer
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
You’ll almost smell the salt in the air as you set sail on the Dryade with Ethan Becket and Marisol Valentin. From Spain to Charles Town to Cartagena, the English captain and Spanish beauty attempt to outrun their pain and secrets, only to find the strength to face their pasts together, in the light of God’s forgiveness and love. High seas adventure and romance by Elva Cobb Martin you don’t want to miss!

I was given an advance reader copy of this title by the author but not required to leave a r
Kathleen Denly
Marisol ~ Spanish Rose is an emotional journey that crisscrosses the Atlantic Ocean during the period of the inquisition. Filled with fascinating, up-close glimpses of history, this story takes you on an adventure that keeps you guessing what will happen next. The heroine is strong but vulnerable and as the reader I was rooting for her to not only survive, but thrive. She is both compassionate and headstrong. There were moments when I wanted to shake her a little bit and demand she exercise more ...more
Sally
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An event beyond Marisol's control sets her on a different course. She must hide who she really is. If anyone finds out what she's done, her life will be over. Captain Ethan buys her as an indentured servant, to be a governess to his son. When he gets another lead as to where his sister might be, Marisol is the only person who can help him find her.

I love this story by Elva Cobb Martin. After Marisol has to kill a man to protect her honor, finds herself with child, and is bought and paid for, Ma
Bess
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Knowing my love for books upon the open sea, Marylu suggested this one after she finished it. I didn't realize that I've read one of Ms. Martin's books prior.
I thoroughly enjoyed this read. It hits the ground running for life, literally! Take that and then add miscreants, slavery, privateers, and lots of adventure on the ocean, and I'm sold!
I enjoyed Marisol's story. Her love and devotion to a child born out of violence. I loved that she could see beyond the horrid experience and cherish life.
En
Janice Sisemore
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
This was a fast reading book. I enjoyed the mystery and suspense.
Allison
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, easy read

Martin weaves an adventurous story that starts with pain and ends with happily ever after.
Marisol, fearing for her life, flees Spain for her aunt's home in the West Indies, but ends up as an indentured servant. Ethan Becket is a minister-turned-privateer who purchases Marisol as a governess for his young son.
Sparks and swords fly in this captivating novel.
Dolores
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great pirate book

Finally a pirate/privateer book that is not steamy! Love this genre but is usually not fit to be read by a Christian. This one fits the bill! Plenty of romance, mystery and intrigue. Love it!
MK
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent historical novel

I really enjoyed this book about a young woman fleeing from a tragic event who meets a dashing privateer. Both of them learn to place their trust in God through harrowing circumstances.
Frank
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a well written book, suspense, drama, action and a beautiful love story that’s clean. A good author doesn’t need sex scenes as good writing and story line carries the day.
daleen boshoff
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fast moving

I like the way the story kept moving!
Much enjoyable and history is brought in well.
Look forward to more books in this series
Denise Troutman
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book, very hard to put down, action packed, so many twists and turns to the story. This will definitely be a book I want to reread! Loved it!
Tonya Goodhope
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marisol

Too choppy in certain areas of the story. One minute here, then the next day. Overall, it was a great story.
MaryAnn Bell
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Escaping to the New World is her only option…Rescuing her will wrap the chains of the Inquisition around his neck.

Marisol Valentin flees Spain after murdering the nobleman who molested her. She ends up for sale on the indentured servants’ block at Charles Town harbor—dirty, angry, and with child. Her hopes are shattered, but she must find a refuge for herself and the child she carries. Can this new land offer her the grace, love, and security she craves? Or must she escape again to her only livi
Kim
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Marisol - Spanish Rose
By Elva Cobb Martin
Book 1 in the Charleston Brides series
Wild Heart Books - Release date: 11/12/19
Rating: 4/5

Such a fun, sweet, action-packed story of love and redemption! I love being able to read books from the past. Historical fiction is always so interesting and different - the author has a way of transporting the reader to a time where pirates and privateers ruled the seas. I didn’t anticipate the amount of action that this book contains and it was wonderful!

After murd
Deana Dick
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The story is set against the high seas on an adventure that is filled with danger and secrets. I loved how the author made you fill like you were on the ship as it rocked back and forth. There was little room to move around in the cabins and it was filled with unruly men at times. Marisol was such a wonderful character. Her beauty was witnessed by many and her ability to defend herself remarkable. It was not easy to read about a horrible attack she endured and I wanted to scream at the man who c ...more
Kimmie
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story was such a unique combination of different cultures and historical facts.

Elva Cobb Martin wrote a story that combines rich Spanish history, travel on the high seas (PIRATES!), the American indentured, murder, romance and God’s will in our lives. The main characters Ethan and Marisol had interesting backstories that made them stronger. They were a cute couple to get to know, although at first, I was not sure where Elva Cobb Martin was taking them. By then end of the book I genuinely li
Melissa Wardwell
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Get ready to embark on a high sea adventure that covers three continents and several ship ports in Marisol: Spanish Rose.

I wasn’t sure what to expect when I began this journey with Marisol as I’ve never read anything by Elva Cobb Martin. Wow, was I surprised by what I found within these pages. Harrowing rescues, broken hearts, adventurous sea travel, a young woman trapped in several life threatening situations, and a pastor turned privateer with a heart of gold.

When the story begins, you find Ma
Erin
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: celebrate-lit
My Thoughts on Marisol Spanish Rose:
I love a good romance novel. Add in a bit of mystery and danger and I’m hooked for the duration!

This book was very well written. The characters really drew me in and wouldn’t let me go. I had to keep reading to find out what happens to Marisol and if Ethan ever gets his sister back. And most importantly if everyone ends up happily ever after in the end!

Definitely a book I recommend. Also, make sure you have time to read for hours when you start this book becau
Amy
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you are looking for an adventurous read with characters that have to overcome a great deal of adversity, then Marisol Spanish Rose may be just the read you are looking for. I enjoy a good romantic swashbuckling adventure with pirates/privateers, ship battles, espionage, and spying. Throw in political intrigue and this read certainly delivers that and more.

The story starts right off with Marisol having survived an attack and just when she and her maid decide to runaway, things go from bad to w
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, I love a swords-woman.
Marisol expert swords-woman and horsewoman.
This book was very educative to read; the growth of the church in the 18th century. The scarce availability of the English Bible and how the Bible was heavy protected to avoid it been destroyed to be able to get to those who needed it. Reading and thinking about the endless availability of the Bible now is so thrilling on how God works.

Marisol was reeling from great loss and running from a life in Spain when she met the Captain
Valri Western
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Historical Fiction. When I first read the synopsis of this book, I wasn't sure if this would be the type of book I would like. I was so very wrong! This book is epic, amazing, sweeping in nature and historic! I don't know how else to describe it! Once I started it, I was transported back to a time in history that I knew little about but wanted to know more. Marisol became a real woman to me and what a strong woman she was! So many things happened to her to knock her down but she never let ...more
Jane
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marisol - Spanish Rose was an “I can’t put this down” read. Elva Cobb Martin has created believable and endearing characters. Marisol and Ethan are characters with personality traits many readers will be able to relate to. They have both been disappointed by life events and have turned to the Lord to help them overcome those disappointments. They have also both acted in their own strength and wisdom, but turned to the Lord for His wisdom.
Martin includes a “Vocabulary Appendix” to help readers wi
Donna C
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What I think you should know:
Marisol Spanish Rose is the first book in the Charleston Brides series by Elva Cobb Martin. It is a historical fiction, set in the early 1740s. Marisol flees Spain after she murders a man in self defense after he attacked her, only to be captured by slavers and pirates. While the start of the book is in Spain the majority of it takes place across the Atlantic in Charles town and Cartagena.

What you might want to know:
What an adventure! Marisol is a woman who strengt
Marguerite Gray
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited to read this novel for many reasons. The historical element intrigues me as its set in colonial Charles Town, SC at a time when death is prevalent. Babies, children, and young wives dies from diseases and complications. Because of this the opportunity comes around often for second time love. How would it feel to not have the chance to live to an old age?

I love the Spanish element as Marisol travels from Spain hoping to start a new life in Cartagena. Her life takes a different p
Amy
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Marisol: Spanish Rose the exciting first installment from Elva Cobb Martin’s new series, Charleston Brides. Marisol finds herself fleeing from her home in Spain as a wanted woman for murder. She crosses the Atlantic and to become an indentured servant. Will she be able to find a second chance or have to flee again for her life?

Marisol: Spanish Rose has a lot of what I love in a book. Which includes: history, action, adventure, romance, high seas and pirates. Throw in beautiful Charles Town and i
Nyla
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the first page I was hooked. This is a Christian Historical Romance and has everything needed to be a page turner. I could not put the book down.

The author is an excellent storyteller. Her tale would twist and turn. Most characters were endearing. The villains were as detestable as they should be. The main characters Marisol and Ethan were complex and made the story intriguing.

Author Martin has a nice writing style. Her book was well thought and written with twists and surprises that made i
Psusan
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Marisol ~ Spanish Rose is the first book by Elva Cobb Martin that I have had the pleasure to read. It is a swashbuckling adventure of a determined woman to overcome all that has endured while also finding God’s grace is an action-packed story.

It has known bad guys from history those of the Inquisition period and other villains that have often preyed on women. The characters are courageous but intriguing. Take Captain Ethan Becket for example, a former pastor who is now a privateer, that just ma

• The Duke's Refuge (The Leeward Islands, #1)
  • Freedom in the Mountain Wind (Call of the Rockies, #1)
  • Heart of a Royal (Daughters of Peverell, #1)
  • The House at the End of the Moor
  • Lake Season (Bluebell Inn Romance, #1)
  • Wings Like a Dove
  • The Thief of Lanwyn Manor (Cornwall, #2)
  • Love's Allegiance
  • Waltz in the Wilderness (Chaparral Hearts #1)
  • Strands of Truth
  • On Wings of Devotion (The Codebreakers, #2)
  • Forks in the Road
  • Escape to Vindor (World of Vindor #1)
  • CROWN 30 Wife-Changing Lessons
  • Legion: Rediscovering the God Who Rescues Me
  • Trapped
  • Vestige of Hope (Vestige of Time #1)
  • His Unexpected Amish Twins
Elva Cobb Martin's passion is to write adventurous, romantic novels that not only entertain, but celebrate the moral truths found in classic fiction. Truths like honor and respect, fidelity and reverence. She lives in the South Carolina upstate with her husband and a mini-dachshund. For more information visit her web site at: elvamartin.com. ...more

Charleston Brides (3 books)
  • Georgia Ann ~ English Rose (Charleston Brides #2)
  • The Petticoat Spy (Charleston Brides #3)