Start by marking “Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)

Cast in Firelight

(Wickery #1)

The first book in an epic, heart-pounding fantasy duology about two royal heirs betrothed to be married, but whose loyalties are torn, and a ruthless enemy who threatens their world, perfect for fans of Sabaa Tahir, Hafsah Faizal, and Renée Ahdieh.

Adraa is the royal heir of Belwar, a talented witch on the cusp of taking her royal ceremony test, and a girl who just wants to
Published January 19th 2021 by Delacorte Press

Start your review of Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)
jessica
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
okay. wow. i didnt not expect to be so obsessed with this. i kept getting upset each time i had to put the book down because i was having so much fun!

there is so much to love and enjoy about this: the indian-inspired culture and world-building, the different gods and magical powers (sort of a greek mythology meets avatar vibe), an absolutely adorable hidden identities romance, all within a really engaging and entertaining plot!

i also love that this doesnt really end on a cliffhanger. the story
Dana Swift
May 11, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
***UPDATE***
*CAST IN FIRELIGHT has a new pub date! It will now be coming out January 19, 2021.
Because of Covid-19, printers are dealing with distribution and resource shortages. Thank you for everyone's patience and continued support!*

I’m not going to rate my own book, but I did want to use this space to answer some common questions I’ve been asked already and also share my author note for CAST IN FIRELIGHT! If more questions arise I’ll happily add to this list.

1. Is CAST IN FIRELIGHT a series?
Lucie V.
Wow. I loved this book. And let's talk about how this cover is gorgeous!!! ❤️

Cast in Firelight is an easy and quick read, yet it is full of action and very interesting. The world-building and magic-system are simple and easy to understand, but still elaborate enough to make a compelling story. The Indian/South-Asian influence adds a colorful and exotic touch to the story, and I wouldn't have minded reading another 100 pages about this adventure.

The prologue introduces us to 8 years o
shre ♡
Feb 26, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
i feel unworthy of even looking at this cover.

got an arc. feeling blessed. 😌🤝.
Angelica
Apr 30, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This synopsis alone is motivating me to survive the pile of trash that is 2020...at leat until November
Nora Grace ♌️
Updated review coming soon! My library book is almost ready to borrow.

(view spoiler)
Paige ♠
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited when I finally got this book from the library and it exceeded the already high expectations I had for it!

I LOVED THE INDIAN INSPIRED setting - I've always thought Indian culture was so interesting and unique. The significance of all the colors, the South-Asian atmosphere and traditional clothing instead of big dresses and corsets - It was definitely refreshing to read!

BOTH ADRAA AND JATIN were so lovable and well written. Adraa kind of reminded me of Aelin/Celaena with her c
Cait (Caitsbooks)
Thank you so much to the publisher & Netgalley for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Quick Stats:
Overall:
3.5/5 Stars
Characters: 4/5
Setting: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Plot and Themes: 3/5
Awesomeness Factor: 3/5
Review in a Nutshell: Cast in Firelight is an enjoyable read, and I’m glad I read it, but overall isn’t very memorable.

// Content Warning: Violence, Death, Torture (Mention), Sexual Harassment, (Fantasy Drug) Addiction, Animal Death //

Release Date: 1/19/2021
Publisher: Delacorte Press
megs_bookrack
Take a really good look at that cover. Go ahead, I'll wait.

You back?

I don't care what it is about, I haven't even read the synopsis, this WILL be on my shelves!

((me: cartwheels to Amazon to preorder))

Cindy ✩☽♔
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When both the main characters are likable and reasonable? It’s a huge surprise LOL

*Review to come*
Renaissance Kate
This was such a great read to start off the year! The characters, the romance, the tropes, the twists and turns, the magic system… all of it was just so much fun!

Cast in Firelight is told in dual 1st-person POV between Adraa and Jatin, two royal heirs who have been engaged since their youth. However, they haven’t seen one another since they were children, so their impressions of each other haven’t changed since a certain unfortunate incident. They’ve developed a long-distance rivalry over the ye
Althea | themoonwholistens ☾
[ a very soft dnf because i just want to read about matthew fairchild but i really love this writing ]

we need more ~arranged marriage tropes. i can never resist.
AJ
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for allowing me to read an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review!

“Gods, how are you this manipulative?” He smiles at the weapon as he scrubs its hilt. “You’ve taught me a lot, Jatin.”

This book started off kind of slow but once it picked up, I really enjoyed it.

I’ve always enjoyed the “secret identities” storyline because Im always anxious to see how the big reveal will play out! It was wonderfully done in this book!

The world building and magic was awesome
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
thankyou to prh international and netgalley for my arc.
firstly, something about this book about brown characters and indian culture written by a white author is deeply unsettling for me, specially when the goodread blurb says perfect for fans of Sabaa Tahir, Hafsah Faizal, and Renée Ahdieh. all of those authors are poc writing about girls of colours. It just irks me that who gets to get away with writing our stories and appropriating our culture in publishing. Why is this being marketed as
Eva B.
Apr 30, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The sheer amount of BDE in "they made their own arrangements" made me hit the Want To Read button without hesitation (okay fine I mostly just added this for the cover) ...more
R.F. Gammon
Aug 10, 2020 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: They are betrothed and hate each other but!!!! SECRET IDENTITIES!!!!

Me: *slams the want to read button so hard my computer shatters* GIVE IT
alissa
Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bipoc, fantasy
how does one explain to their parents that they preordered this book...right after finishing their eARC of it? asking for a friend, of course!!!!

this book is everything! i cannot stress enough that you NEED to read this because i can’t suffer on my own (YES I CRIED STOP ASKING?). also, a month ago i said that i hadn’t found a good arranged marriage story that wasn’t toxic yet...

i would just like to announce that miss dana swift changed that. look where we are now, all obsessed and mentally unsta
Lisa
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, arc
This book combines so many things that I love: hidden identities, beautiful and interesting magic system and, of course, a swoony romance that is a steady burn.

The author did an incredible job of making the magic and the world complex yet accessible. I want to know so much more about the magic, but readers were given a lot to work with and explore right off the bat.

I appreciated how diverse the characters are and a lot of specific cultural elements were incorporated into the story. Everything f
Zoe (Book Hooked)
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5

Unboxing it!

First thing is first. I didn’t enjoy this book till half way. I thought the characters were childish and I didn’t understand why Adraa and Jatin couldn’t recognize each other. At the half way mark I went back and I realized I thought the prologue was chapter 1. And supposedly there is a 9 year gap between the prologue and chapter 1. Explains why I thought them childish in the beginning, because they were! AND they hadn’t recognized each other the whole
Alaina
Slightly obsessed and not even sad about it.

Cast in Firelight was so damn easy to devour. I'm so glad that I own it and found time to just sit and focus on this beautiful thing. The characters were so easy to fall in love with and ugh, I just need more. I seriously can't wait for the next book and I'm hoping that I can get my hands on the next one soon.

In it, you will meet Adraa and Jatin. I'm not going to lie, they made think of the movie The Swan Princess for some reason. It's like when they
Lindsay (pawsomereads)
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all, let’s talk about how stunning this cover is 😍 I’m in love and I once you read the story so many details stick out more, it’s just fantastic. Okay, moving on...
This was a great fantasy read! Cast in Firelight included a cast of diverse characters with many cultural references that added so much to the story.
The author was able to create such an intricate and interesting magic system. It was so unique and complex yet easy to understand. While there was a lot of different elements of
Ashley
Feb 11, 2021 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Onto THENEXT BR with my girl, Darce! Cast in Firelight, let's do this thang!

(ps: psssstt! i am LOVING this so far 😍)
Monica
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Initial Thoughts

I was super excited to have been approved for this book. Full disclosure, I’m writing this post in July (and it’s a November release). I read it as soon as I was approved – because it sounded that good.

Some Things I Liked

Indian influences. This is not an #OwnVoices book but I felt like an Own Voices reviewer here. In the acknowledgements, Dana Swift described that this book was inspired by her husband’s culture and the characters were written with her children in mind. That actua
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
Aug 06, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
is it just me or do these two look . . . *whispers* related?

Shauni
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for sending me this book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved this book! It swept me up and took me on a journey of magic and adventure. The characters are well developed with an endearing charm that I couldn't help but love. The world-building and history of the Gods was well-done. What impressed me the most was the magic system. So unique and intricate, I absolutely loved the colorful representations of each magic. The plot was intriguing with a cou
Kenzie The Dragon Queen
The cover is gorgeous, the synopsis is everything, and I can’t wait for this!
Evie
Feb 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 rounded up

Did I pick this book up purely because the cover was pretty? Yes. And I’m not sorry about it.

Cast in Firelight really surprised me in how much I enjoyed it. I stayed up until 2am reading and only put it down because I didn’t want it to be over too soon. I saw that the next book won’t be out until next year and that absolutely sucks, the ending of this book, whilst still making me grin like a fool, is a really well done cliffhanger and I cannot wait for the sequel.

Usually I am not
Kelly
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-arcs
In Cast in Firelight, you will meet two royal heirs : Adraa and Jatin. Their first meeting happened when they were kids and Adraa ended up punching Jatin. It was pretty funny to say the least. Their parents clearly want them to like each other in order to have an alliance through marriage and at first, it's not really working.

In this world, there are many types of magic, each having a distinct color to them. When someone is able to do magic, their arms are marked with the "touch", marking them
Elisabeth
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was delightful! It was a joy to read and delve into an amazing story with strong characters, beautiful world building, and an amazing storyline. At a time where I’ve not been able to find a good book, this one comes along and sweeps me off my feet. The characters were rich and lush, they were real and they grew and were more and more complex as the story went on, I loved the twists and turns plus the depth of the writing of each main and side character was intricate and beautiful. The ...more
Yeganeh
3.5 star
So i didn't essentially know that this book is much like a love story and plot. Truthfully, until the two third of the book barely something intresting happend and i don't know what to make of this book wether i enjoyed it or not. I mean i definatly have seen better debut novels.

The magic system and setting were unique and new , the romance despite the instant lovey was cute and i'm not sure about other side characters.

So overall, quick and enjoyable read but still there were something m
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Into the Heartless Wood
  • Shielded (Shielded, #1)
  • Unchosen
  • Five Ways to Fall Out of Love
  • Beach Read
  • The Frozen Crown (Warrior Witch, #1)
  • The Mask of Mirrors (Rook & Rose, #1)
  • Lore
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • These Hollow Vows
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Tarnished Empire (Dark Shores, #0.5)
  • Quintessence
  • Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • In Case You Missed It
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
Dana Swift started making up fantasy worlds when she was eleven years old and hasn’t stopped since. She graduated from the University of Texas at Austin, where she earned degrees in English and Advertising. While in college, Dana competed as a saber fencer and learned a thing or two about fighting, parrying and how it feels to fall in love with your sparring partner. She currently lives with said ...more

Wickery (2 books)
  • Bound by Firelight (Wickery, #2)

Articles featuring this book