Start by marking “Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)

Cast in Firelight

(Wickery #1)

The first book in an epic, heart-pounding fantasy duology about two royal heirs betrothed to be married, but whose loyalties are torn, and a ruthless enemy who threatens their world, perfect for fans of Sabaa Tahir, Hafsah Faizal, and Renée Ahdieh.

Adraa is the royal heir of Belwar, a talented witch on the cusp of taking her royal ceremony test, and a girl who just wants to
Published January 19th 2021 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about Cast in Firelight, please sign up.
Amy Brewer It is listed as a duology but I happen to have the inside scoop that it will be a trilogy!

Start your review of Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)
jessica
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
okay. wow. i didnt expect to be so obsessed with this. i kept getting upset each time i had to put the book down because i was having so much fun!

there is so much to love and enjoy about this: the world-building, the different gods and magical powers (sort of a greek mythology meets 'avatar' vibe), an absolutely adorable hidden identities romance, all within a really engaging and entertaining plot!

i also love that this doesnt really end on a cliffhanger. the story is nicely resolved to an exten
Ayushi (bookwormbullet)
When I first learned of Cast in Firelight, I was genuinely excited for it to come out because I heard it had two South Asian main characters. But then I found out that the author, Dana Swift, is white. In her author’s note, she acknowledges that this book isn’t an Own Voices book, and that she wrote this for her future children, who would be biracial because her husband is Indian. (Key word: future. Her children technically don't even exist yet.) First, I think it’s wonderful that she's wants pr ...more
Dana Swift
May 11, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
***UPDATE***
*CAST IN FIRELIGHT has a new pub date! It will now be coming out January 19, 2021.
Because of Covid-19, printers are dealing with distribution and resource shortages. Thank you for everyone's patience and continued support!*

I’m not going to rate my own book, but I did want to use this space to answer some common questions I’ve been asked already and also share my author note for CAST IN FIRELIGHT! If more questions arise I’ll happily add to this list.

1. Is CAST IN FIRELIGHT a series?
Lucie V.
First, let’s talk about how gorgeous this cover is!!! ❤️

✅ Gorgeous cover
✅ 2 POVs
✅🆗 Nice characters, but ordinary
✅🆗 Cute (mild) romance
🆗 Predictable, but enjoyable plot

Cast in Firelight is an easy and quick read, yet it is full of action and spying, and very interesting. The world-building and magic system are simple and easy to understand, but still elaborate enough to make a compelling story.
aly ☆彡
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To say that I love this book would be such an understatement!

Cast in Firelight follows Adraa, the royal heir to Belwar, and Jatin, the royal heir to Napure who has been betrothed from an early age — both competitive, headstrong young people and may not have much affection for one other. However, Belwar's criminal underbelly has begun making hazardous maneuvers for power, prompting both Adraa and Jatin to adopt false identities to stop them.

Honestly, what I do care the most about reading is the
shre ♡
Feb 26, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
i feel unworthy of even looking at this cover.

got an arc. feeling blessed. 😌🤝.
Nora Martinez
**2/5 stars**
So certainly stirred up a bit of controversy with my initial pre-release comments on this novel. I think I have said enough on the subject of orientalism in young adult fantasy, so this review is entirely about the mechanics of Cast in Firelight and my experience reading it.

Firstly, this book is about 95% romance and 5% actual plot. This was unexpected, especially given that it is the first installment in a series. Although one of my favorite fantasy romance novels, Radiance is par
human
Thank you to Netgalley and Delacorte Press for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I can't even begin to understand just how much I enjoyed this book, and how much agony I will be in waiting for the next one.

'Cast in Firelight' tells the story of Adraa Belwar and Jatin Naupure, heirs to their thrones in the magical land of Wickery, where half the population is 'Touched' - gifted by the gods with elemental magic. Adraa and Jatin have been engaged for a long time, but haven't met
Angelica
Apr 30, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This synopsis alone is motivating me to survive the pile of trash that is 2020...at leat until November
Farhina ↯↯ The Wanderer Of Inked Adventures
thankyou to prh international and netgalley for my arc.
firstly, something about this book about brown characters and indian culture written by a white author is deeply unsettling for me, specially when the goodread blurb says perfect for fans of Sabaa Tahir, Hafsah Faizal, and Renée Ahdieh. all of those authors are poc writing about girls of colours. It just irks me that who gets to get away with writing our stories and appropriating our culture in publishing. Why is this being marketed as
Paige ♠
Feb 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was so excited when I finally got this book from the library and it exceeded the already high expectations I had for it!

I LOVED THE INDIAN INSPIRED setting - I've always thought Indian culture was so interesting and unique. The significance of all the colors, the South-Asian atmosphere and traditional clothing instead of big dresses and corsets - It was definitely refreshing to read!

BOTH ADRAA AND JATIN were so lovable and well written. Adraa kind of reminded me of Aelin/Celaena with her c
Althea ☾
something was bothering me the whole time I was reading this and now I know what it is, so please read Ayushi's review. Even though I am SouthEast Asian, we are not a monolithic culture so I hope we all take the time to read the ownvoices reviews for this book. thank you :)

and PSA: this is not an #Ownvoices book. It features South Asian characters and is written by a White author... and I don't know how the 5-star reviews aren't mentioning this. Not that non-ownvoices books are necessarily bad b
R.F. Gammon
*loooooong sigh*

Things I still need to learn: a brilliant concept doesn't always make a brilliant story

The tropes of arranged marriage and enemies to lovers are two of my favorites, but the problem, I found, was that those tropes themselves were the only things present. The characters weren't developed outside of them, and neither was the plot, really. Except for the presence of my single least favorite fantasy trope: common people are being denied magic, and only our intrepid protagonist girl (
Cait (Caitsbooks)
Thank you so much to the publisher & Netgalley for giving me an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

Quick Stats:
Overall:
3.5/5 Stars
Characters: 4/5
Setting: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Plot and Themes: 3/5
Awesomeness Factor: 3/5
Review in a Nutshell: Cast in Firelight is an enjoyable read, and I’m glad I read it, but overall isn’t very memorable.

// Content Warning: Violence, Death, Torture (Mention), Sexual Harassment, (Fantasy Drug) Addiction, Animal Death //

Release Date: 1/19/2021
Publisher: Delacorte Press
megs_bookrack
Take a really good look at that cover. Go ahead, I'll wait.

You back?

I don't care what it is about, I haven't even read the synopsis, this WILL be on my shelves!

((me: cartwheels to Amazon to preorder))

Cindy ✩☽♔
Feb 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When both the main characters are likable and reasonable? It’s a huge surprise LOL

*Review to come*
Renaissance Kate
This was such a great read to start off the year! The characters, the romance, the tropes, the twists and turns, the magic system… all of it was just so much fun!

Cast in Firelight is told in dual 1st-person POV between Adraa and Jatin, two royal heirs who have been engaged since their youth. However, they haven’t seen one another since they were children, so their impressions of each other haven’t changed since a certain unfortunate incident. They’ve developed a long-distance rivalry over the ye
Shijia
Feb 10, 2021 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
A little rant here.

I read it and enjoyed it, but there was a small part of me that felt a little irked by this book. I tried to ignore this feeling, but then I realised, wait a minute. This book features South Asian characters, but is written by a WHITE author. I knew this, and yet I overlooked it. I did more research on why this is harmful and came to the conclusion of why this is both NOT DIVERSITY and how trash the publishing industry can be.

The conversation surrounding whether white authors
~ a foray in fantasy ~
Did the Anglicizations bother anyone else? It just seemed like a made-up language instead of drawing on a language from the Indian sub-continent.

The supposed “representation” was only important in the first 10%. I mean… if the only bread you can think of is naan, don’t try to write a book about a culture not your own. Also, who eats upma with naan? What kind of monster is the author?

And the inclusion of the arranged marriage/ creepy older guy trying to marry a young girl??? Like please, don’t p
AJ
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for allowing me to read an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review!

“Gods, how are you this manipulative?” He smiles at the weapon as he scrubs its hilt. “You’ve taught me a lot, Jatin.”

This book started off kind of slow but once it picked up, I really enjoyed it.

I’ve always enjoyed the “secret identities” storyline because Im always anxious to see how the big reveal will play out! It was wonderfully done in this book!

The world building and magic was awesome
Zoe (Book Hooked)
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021-favorites
4.5

Unboxing it!

First thing is first. I didn’t enjoy this book till half way. I thought the characters were childish and I didn’t understand why Adraa and Jatin couldn’t recognize each other. At the half way mark I went back and I realized I thought the prologue was chapter 1. And supposedly there is a 9 year gap between the prologue and chapter 1. Explains why I thought them childish in the beginning, because they were! AND they hadn’t recognized each other the whole
Lindsay (pawsomereads)
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all, let’s talk about how stunning this cover is 😍 I’m in love and once you read the story so many details stick out more, it’s just fantastic. Okay, moving on...
This was a great fantasy read! Cast in Firelight included a cast of diverse characters with many cultural references that added so much to the story.
The author was able to create such an intricate and interesting magic system. It was so unique and complex yet easy to understand. While there was a lot of different elements of t
Ashley
Feb 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: darce-ash-brs
Star Rating: —> 4 Stars

Onto THENEXT BR with my girl, Darce! Cast in Firelight, let's do this thang!

RTC
Alaina
Slightly obsessed and not even sad about it.

Cast in Firelight was so damn easy to devour. I'm so glad that I own it and found time to just sit and focus on this beautiful thing. The characters were so easy to fall in love with and ugh, I just need more. I seriously can't wait for the next book and I'm hoping that I can get my hands on the next one soon.

In it, you will meet Adraa and Jatin. I'm not going to lie, they made think of the movie The Swan Princess for some reason. It's like when they
Lisa
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020
This book combines so many things that I love: hidden identities, beautiful and interesting magic system and, of course, a swoony romance that is a steady burn.

The author did an incredible job of making the magic and the world complex yet accessible. I want to know so much more about the magic, but readers were given a lot to work with and explore right off the bat.

I appreciated how diverse the characters are and a lot of specific cultural elements were incorporated into the story. Everything f
Monica
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Initial Thoughts

I was super excited to have been approved for this book. Full disclosure, I’m writing this post in July (and it’s a November release). I read it as soon as I was approved – because it sounded that good.

Some Things I Liked

Indian influences. This is not an #OwnVoices book but I felt like an Own Voices reviewer here. In the acknowledgements, Dana Swift described that this book was inspired by her husband’s culture and the characters were written with her children in mind. That actua
Mara YA Mood Reader
Jan 07, 2022 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
It’s the: I’m-not-like-other-princesses!-I’m-pretty-but-I’m-a-cage-fighter-and-I-hate-dresses! for me.

I don’t think you could pay me to finish this book.

Creating a from-scratch fantasy is tough. And can be very tricky. You can either do it amazingly and become a very well rounded fantasy author, or, you could totally botch it delving on the side of cringe, ridiculous, forced and kill your fantasy career.

I made it almost 200 pages. The premise was interesting. I love a good arranged marriage t
Yeganeh
3.5 star
So i didn't essentially know that this book is much like a love story and plot. Truthfully, until the two third of the book barely something intresting happend and i don't know what to make of this book wether i enjoyed it or not. I mean i definatly have seen better debut novels.

The magic system and setting were unique and new , the romance despite the instant lovey was cute and i'm not sure about other side characters.

So overall, quick and enjoyable read but still there were something m
ale ♡
Apr 04, 2021 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
am i just in love with this beautiful cover? yes, indeed

hope it worth the hype!

• Five Ways to Fall Out of Love
  • Beach Read
  • The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3)
  • The Honey-Don't List
  • Quintessence
  • Chain of Gold (The Last Hours, #1)
  • In Case You Missed It
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1)
  • Recursion
  • The Priory of the Orange Tree (The Roots of Chaos, #1)
  • The Bitter Kingdom (Fire and Thorns, #3)
  • Wool (Wool, #1)
  • Star Daughter
  • All Stirred Up
  • Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
  • By Force Alone
  • Dear Girl
See top shelves…
Dana Swift started making up fantasy worlds when she was eleven years old and hasn’t stopped since. She graduated from the University of Texas at Austin, where she earned degrees in English and Advertising. While in college, Dana competed as a saber fencer and learned a thing or two about fighting, parrying and how it feels to fall in love with your sparring partner. She currently lives with said ...more

Wickery (2 books)