Start by marking “Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)

Cast in Firelight

(Wickery #1)

The first book in an epic, heart-pounding fantasy duology about two royal heirs betrothed to be married, but whose loyalties are torn, and a ruthless enemy who threatens their world, perfect for fans of Sabaa Tahir, Hafsah Faizal, and Renée Ahdieh.

Adraa is the royal heir of Belwar, a talented witch on the cusp of taking her royal ceremony test, and a girl who just wants to
Expected publication: January 19th 2021 by Delacorte Press

Start your review of Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)
Dana Swift
May 11, 2020 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
***UPDATE***
*CAST IN FIRELIGHT has a new pub date! It will now be coming out January 19, 2021.
Because of Covid-19, printers are dealing with distribution and resource shortages. Thank you for everyone's patience and continued support!*

I’m not going to rate my own book, but I did want to use this space to answer some common questions I’ve been asked already and also share my author note for CAST IN FIRELIGHT! If more questions arise I’ll happily add to this list.

1. Is CAST IN FIRELIGHT a series?
shre ♡
Feb 26, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arc
i feel unworthy of even looking at this cover.

got an arc. feeling blessed. 😌🤝.
Angelica
Apr 30, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This synopsis alone is motivating me to survive the pile of trash that is 2020...at leat until November
megs_bookrack
Take a really good look at that cover. Go ahead, I'll wait.

You back?

I don't care what it is about, I haven't even read the synopsis, this WILL be on my shelves!

((me: cartwheels to Amazon to preorder))

Nora Grace ♌️
I'm under the impression that the author of Cast in Firelight is white. It's somewhat misleading that the Goodreads blurb says, "... perfect for fans of Sabaa Tahir, Hafsah Faizal, and Renée Ahdieh." These are all women of color writing stories about girls of color. We really need to start being more vigilant and critical regarding this Orientalist trend in YA fantasy, where white Western authors write stories inspired by the "romantic" East. The characters in this novel are obviously brown (it' ...more
Cindy ✩☽♔
How have I not heard of this book until now!? It sounds right up my alley, hope it delivers =D
AJ
Jun 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Netgalley for allowing me to read an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review!

“Gods, how are you this manipulative?” He smiles at the weapon as he scrubs its hilt. “You’ve taught me a lot, Jatin.”

This book started off kind of slow but once it picked up, I really enjoyed it.

I’ve always enjoyed the “secret identities” storyline because Im always anxious to see how the big reveal will play out! It was wonderfully done in this book!

The world building and magic was awesome
Eva B.
Apr 30, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The sheer amount of BDE in "they made their own arrangements" made me hit the Want To Read button without hesitation (okay fine I mostly just added this for the cover)
Lisa
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, arc
This book combines so many things that I love: hidden identities, beautiful and interesting magic system and, of course, a swoony romance that is a steady burn.

The author did an incredible job of making the magic and the world complex yet accessible. I want to know so much more about the magic, but readers were given a lot to work with and explore right off the bat.

I appreciated how diverse the characters are and a lot of specific cultural elements were incorporated into the story. Everything f
Lindsay (pawsomereads)
Oct 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
First of all, let’s talk about how stunning this cover is 😍 I’m in love and I once you read the story so many details stick out more, it’s just fantastic. Okay, moving on...
This was a great fantasy read! Cast in Firelight included a cast of diverse characters with many cultural references that added so much to the story.
The author was able to create such an intricate and interesting magic system. It was so unique and complex yet easy to understand. While there was a lot of different elements of
R.F. Gammon
Aug 10, 2020 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: They are betrothed and hate each other but!!!! SECRET IDENTITIES!!!!

Me: *slams the want to read button so hard my computer shatters* GIVE IT
Kenzie The Dragon Queen
The cover is gorgeous, the synopsis is everything, and I can’t wait for this!
Kelly
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
In Cast in Firelight, you will meet two royal heirs : Adraa and Jatin. Their first meeting happened when they were kids and Adraa ended up punching Jatin. It was pretty funny to say the least. Their parents clearly want them to like each other in order to have an alliance through marriage and at first, it's not really working.

In this world, there are many types of magic, each having a distinct color to them. When someone is able to do magic, their arms are marked with the "touch", marking them
Elisabeth
Jun 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was delightful! It was a joy to read and delve into an amazing story with strong characters, beautiful world building, and an amazing storyline. At a time where I’ve not been able to find a good book, this one comes along and sweeps me off my feet. The characters were rich and lush, they were real and they grew and were more and more complex as the story went on, I loved the twists and turns plus the depth of the writing of each main and side character was intricate and beautiful. The ...more
Carly
Feb 27, 2020 marked it as to-read
Charlie Bowater is taking over YA Fantasy with their gorgeous cover illustrations and I'm not mad about it 😍😍😍
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

Alright, alright, alright… this novel is quite promising.

Secret identities, world-building, superb magic system, royal arranged marriages, steady semi slow-burn romance, and diverse characters. What more can a reader ask for? And despite the instant love *gag*, minor scenes between Adraa and Jatin that made me want to pull my hair out, and the somewhat slow pacing that made this a dragful read (maybe it’s just me?)—this was an incredible debut and a must read for 2020.

So will
Aly
Aug 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a great read!

I so enjoyed this book, the magic, the characters, the pacing was all well done. I love the different gods and the powers and colors they go with. In case you were wondering, I'd want black powers. I thought the meeting between Adraa and Jutin as kids was hilarious and when they got older and both were lying about their identities, it was adorable. They were able to get to know each other without pressure of their royal titles or knowing they're engaged.

The plot about the mis
Kilikina
I'm excited about A LOT of books releasing this year, but this is absolutely one of my most anticipated ones yet.

November cannot come soon enough!
Kristen
I'm not sure how this ended up on my NetGalley list to be honest. I think I read the blurb and thought it would be interesting back when I was a bit less judicious with what I requested. Based solely on the cover art, I was pretty sure this wasn't going to be a hit for me.

BOY WAS I WRONG. This book is one of the best books I've requested from NetGalley, which includes new releases from authors I have cherished for years. I'm going to reread this. I'm going to buy this. I'm going to recommend it
Ashleigh
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
* I won an e-arc from the author in a giveaway*

Amazing debut from Dana Swift! I was immediately swept up into this fantastical world where magic is cast in nine different colors, corresponding to their deities. The magic system was crafted so well, and I could envision the stunning colors swirling through these enchanting kingdoms. I also loved the rivalry to lovers trope and the slow burn swoon worthy romance. Yes please!

I absolutely adored the main characters, Adraa and Jatin. They first meet
nat
May 01, 2020 marked it as z-not-interested
Look me in the E Y E S and tell me the girl on this cover does not look the same as the girl on Star Daughters'. (They're both created by Charlie Bowater.)

Julia
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
*received an ARC on Edelweiss*

4.5⭐️
This is so unexpectedly amazing! I mean a world in which different colors are different types of magic and the more colors you master the higher you are in society. Also there is underground, corrupt cage fights but with spells and magic, a drug bust, political corruption, secret identities/vigilantism, flying and so much more and just typing that all out is insane and totally epic which is exactly how I would describe this book.

Also can we talk about how Jatin
Fanna
Feb 26, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-releases
February 27, 2020: First of all, covers with POC are my cue to like to a book but seeing those names in the blurb is making me so ready to like this book!
TABI⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
is it just me or do these two look . . . *whispers* related?

Autumn
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I’m going to be completely honest here: there are two main reasons I requested this book. The first reason is the cover is absolutely gorgeous! Charlie Bowater is incredibly talented! The second reason was the whole concept of two unwilling participants in a politically arranged marriage accidentally meeting while using secret identities and working together. This book did not disappoint!
As children, Adraa and Jatin met for the fi
Jacob Rundle
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dana’s novel CAST IN THE FIRELIGHT is one of my anticipated reads of 2020! The characters are real, dynamic, and relatable. The prose is so well done. Her ability to magically maneuver her plot points. My favorite part is her magic system—color magic meets deities. Her story made my heart sing for days. I was left wanting more! I was so upset when I finished the story. I need more!!!!!!!!!
Amanda
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full review to come.
Monica
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
Initial Thoughts

I was super excited to have been approved for this book. Full disclosure, I’m writing this post in July (and it’s a November release). I read it as soon as I was approved – because it sounded that good.

Some Things I Liked

Indian influences. This is not an #OwnVoices book but I felt like an Own Voices reviewer here. In the acknowledgements, Dana Swift described that this book was inspired by her husband’s culture and the characters were written with her children in mind. That actua
michelle (magical reads)
rep: Indian-inspired world and characters

**I received an eARC from the publisher through Netgalley. These are my honest opinions, and in no way was I compensated for this review.**

I honestly didn't enjoy any part of this book...there was little development between the characters and the plot, which meant a lot of telling with no showing and left me very annoyed. I definitely won't be reading the sequel because I'm not invested in any way. I wouldn't say it was a bad book, just not for me at all,
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Challenge Corner: Cast in Firelight by Dana Swift --> Starting July 24th, 2020 21 10 Aug 27, 2020 02:46PM

• Shielded (Shielded, #1)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Namesake (Fable, #2)
  • Rebel Rose (The Queen's Council, #1)
  • The Princess Will Save You (Kingdoms of Sand and Sky, #1)
  • You Have a Match
  • A Golden Fury
  • The Code for Love and Heartbreak
  • Among the Beasts & Briars
  • These Violent Delights (These Violent Delights, #1)
  • Kisses and Croissants
  • The Camelot Betrayal (Camelot Rising, #2)
  • More Than Just a Pretty Face
  • Hunted by the Sky (The Wrath of Ambar, #1)
  • Broken Wish (The Mirror, #1)
  • Kingdom of Sea and Stone (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #2)
  • Swamp Thing: Twin Branches
  • The Poppy & the Rose
Dana Swift started making up fantasy worlds when she was eleven years old and hasn’t stopped since. She graduated from the University of Texas at Austin, where she earned degrees in English and Advertising. While in college, Dana competed as a saber fencer and learned a thing or two about fighting, parrying and how it feels to fall in love with your sparring partner. She currently lives with said ...more