Start by marking “You Matter” as Want to Read:
You Matter

You Matter

They All Saw a Cat meets The Important Book in this sensitive and impactful picture book about seeing the world from different points of view by Caldecott and Coretta Scott King Honoree Christian Robinson.

In this full, bright, and beautiful picture book, many different perspectives around the world are deftly and empathetically explored—from a pair of bird-watchers to the
Published June 2nd 2020 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about You Matter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Matter

Start your review of You Matter
Billie
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a book that parents and grandparents will buy because it has a great message for kids, but, alas, it is not one that kids are going to be drawn to on their own. The illustrations are, of course, lovely, but the text gets just a little too message-y.
Jillian Heise
I am always searching for picture books for my school library and to read aloud for #classroombookday that will show students that they matter. The kinds of books that affirm their existence, validate their beings, and support their lived experiences. Books that remind kids that we believe in them and support them, and that even though they are little, the space they take up is theirs to make a difference with. And to know who they are, what they believe, how they want to be - it all matters.

Chr
Rod Brown
Nov 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
When was it decided that most modern picture books will now be inspirational tracts written by Stuart Smalley? Whatever happened to embedding such sentiments in a humorous story about interesting characters?

I did get a chuckle out of the unexpected (view spoiler)
Angela
Aug 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Christian Robinson can do no wrong in my book. He writes and illustrates stunning stories that are affirming and validating, smackdab in the center of kid experiences, with no sentimentality. Essential for classroom, community building, and kid joy.
Adele
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
I meant to review this one because it was on my To Read list, but now I cannot remember a thing about it even though I read it just four days ago. Even reading Rod's review didn't really jog my memory. That is not a good sign, but I probably didn't hate it either. ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
"For anyone who isn't sure if they matter.
You do."

You Matter is Christian Robinson's anthem to the world. Small? You matter. Large? You matter. Old? You matter. Young? You matter. Pesky? You matter. Even gassy? You matter.

All of us don't always hear this. Christian Robinson reminds us of this truth.

Here he is, when I met him at the Texas Library Association Conference:

He's just as nice in person as he is on the page.

And here he is, reading the book to you. This is a lovely way to see and hear
Jan 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Christian Robinson continues to amaze with his spirited and bright focus on life and the human connection. We ALL matter! This picture book should be added to everyone's collection -- for young and old alike.
Becky
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this book! I look forward to sharing this book by Christian Robinson.
Danielle
Aug 13, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This provides an important message - the artwork was a little underwhelming, but it was still cute. This is definitely on the simpler side, though.
June
Aug 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Affirmation requests
Recommended to June by: Edward Sullivan
More of a 3.5, but I might like the real book better than the ebook. The affirmative message is simple, but universally portrayed.
Beth Honeycutt
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another possible choice for the first week or so of school. I love the message of “you matter” - even for middle school students.
Hope
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sparse text, perfect illustrations. A great one for any home library
Trish
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love Christian Robinson's books (and his videos). This is a beautiful book in theme, art and execution. The dedication page says "For anyone who isn't sure if they matter. You do."It is a serious topic but it is treated lightly and even with a bit of humor. The line "when everyone thinks you're a pest" is illustrated with a large picture of a mosquito! "If you fall down" is illustrated with a comet. By the end of the book the illustrations focus on children.It would make a beautiful gift book ...more
Tonja Drecker
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Word of encouragement hit at just the right time in this celebration of self-worth.

The title already says it all—you matter. Hitting examples out of life, which illustrate how small or slow or first or old things can be in everyday life, the message then rings clear that none of that is important because you matter. The scenes are mostly taken from nature and outdoor activities and range from dinosaurs to space travel to a quite day in the park.

There's no way to ignore the message when reading t
Tasha
Jun 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Master picture book author and illustrator Robinson returns with a book just right for our pandemic situation. The book moves in a complete circle, beginning and ending with the same phrases. It starts with the importance of things that are too small to see with the naked eye. The book expresses that you matter whether you are first or last, go with the flow or go your own way. You matter if you fall down, if others are too busy to help, or even if you have to start all over again. You matter if ...more
Frosty61
Jul 22, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a picture book with a message that will appeal to adults as it addresses the question of who matters - such a hot topic right now. I think some kids might get the message but it's a bit abstract and deep for young ones. The illustrations are great.
Amy!
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is lovely. I always love Robinson's illustrations, and the text of this book is just as wonderful. I like that he didn't go the typical "you matter" route, instead taking the reader through evolution "from the smallest things too small to see" to a mosquito biting a T-Rex's tail to a meteor hurtling towards earth and eventually to modern kids.

I have to admit my first read was too quick to really pick up on what he's doing, but subsequent reads with my kiddos have allowed me to really appre
Katie Reilley
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lovely case covering. Beautiful end pages. Using acrylic paint and collage, Robinson’s illustrations draw the reader in, and his words share the most important message our young people need to hear right now: YOU MATTER.

This book made my heart happy, and I also enjoyed a giggle on the pages with the dinosaur scenes (and the word “gassy.”) Highly recommend!
Kellee Moye
We watched Christian Robinson read this on PBS Kids, and he shared that he created this book because he wants every kid to know they matter, and he did. With scarce yet lyrical text and his signature illustrations, Christian Robinson shows that no matter what, you matter.
Erin Buhr
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-books
This is the newest book by Christian Robinson an author/illustrator who has yet to create a book I don't absolutely adore. Whimsical, subtle, and so full of heart, YOU MATTER is a message to all children that they matter. Absolutely one of the best books of 2020 so far.
Edward Sullivan
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Delightfully simple and empathetic in its heartfelt affirmations.
Juli Anna
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The text is both abstract and concrete in just the right ways, and Robinson truly is a masterful illustrator. What a sweet little book.
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
You Matter is a lovely picture book with a great message and fun illustrations!

We originally heard this story from the author himself (on PBSkids!) and loved how impactful and important it is! We borrowed it from the library as well for extra reading in our own time!
Sandy Brehl
This is a lovely picture book with simple but lyrical text. The illustrations are the winning element, conveying a diverse and accepting range of young lives with the recurring refrain "You matter".
Colorful and appealing.
Abigail (Abbe)
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kendall
Love the message and the artwork!!! Ages 6-10
Beautiful book to remind everyone that they matter.
Dawn
Nov 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I felt the messages were too broad to really hit home for children. The structure was loose compared to the concept. 3 stars.
Pam Jones-Nill
Aug 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Of course ALL LIVES MATTER, but in today's world, we are clearly having issues celebrating that fact.
Talking to our children about the news of the day can be difficult and even emotional. Author Christian Robinson has done a beautiful job celebrating all of us, right down to the smallest insect, in his picture book, "You Matter." The thoughtful text is full of words of encouragement and supportive self-reflection and is creatively supported by his colorful illustrations. Small and big, young and
Elizabeth
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This gorgeous book emphasizes that everyone matters, no matter how small and no matter how different! A library promotional campaign created a poster and bookmarks using the artwork in the book as the theme. Perfect!
Peacegal
Aug 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humane-education
Another gem on the shelves. Without a hint of sappiness or sentimentality, readers are reminded that all of us, from the tiniest to the largest, has an important role to play on this planet.

I loved that each "you matter" statement was illustrated with both people and all sorts of creatures, from dinosaurs to pigeons to salamanders---and even the globe itself! Whether you're feeling as insignificant as an ant or as far away as an astronaut, you matter!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• I Am Every Good Thing
  • Nana Akua Goes to School
  • Our Favorite Day of the Year
  • Lift
  • Your Name Is a Song
  • Jabari Tries (Jabari, #2)
  • Outside In
  • Swashby and the Sea
  • I Talk Like a River
  • We Will Rock Our Classmates
  • Gustavo, the Shy Ghost
Christian Robinson is a 2016 Caldecott Honoree and also received a Coretta Scott King Illustrator Honor for his art in Last Stop on Market Street by Matt de la Peña (Putnam, 2015); de la Peña himself took home the 2016 Newbery Medal, awarded by the Association for Library Service to Children for the "most distinguished book for children". Robinson, based in San Francisco, is also an animator and h ...more

News & Interviews