Start by marking “Pluck & Cover” as Want to Read:
Pluck & Cover

Pluck & Cover

Waylon Jenkins has a problem. Well, he's got a few of them. The ghost of Betsy Ross lives in his house, he's pretty sure his favorite client is the victim of ongoing domestic violence, and he's been roped into helping the police investigate a series of murders.

And his penis fell off in the shower this morning. He needs a new one, but none of his friends are willing to dona
Published March 5th 2020 by Falstaff Books

To ask other readers questions about Pluck & Cover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pluck & Cover

Start your review of Pluck & Cover
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
If you are looking for a mystery short story that will make you laugh then look no further than this book.  The premise is wacky, the characters are plucky, and good overcomes bad in the end.

I wasn't quite sure what to expect when I opened to the first page, but finding a zombie concerned about his manhood was not one of them! And then to have Betsy Ross sewing it back on?  You know that the rest of the book is going to a scream, and not in fear but in laughter.

This story moves at a fast pace an
Larissa
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a funny, quick read. There's a zombie makeup artist, some intrigue, a missing penis, a little kablooie, all the stuff you need for a comedy romp with your new favorite zombie cosmetologist. ...more
Erin Penn
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another delight from JD Blackrose. Made me LOL three times; once, I had to book down until I composed myself.

Her characters are so real, and the real-life solutions to the problems just feel natural. Okay, you might be asking, how can a Zombie Cosmetologist to Hollywood Stars be "real" - I DON'T KNOW - but he IS!!!! I could see running into Waylon Jenkins in day-to-day life and sitting down for a talk on a park bench (with suitable hat and sunscreen).

100% RECOMMEND

(Read through Kindle Unlimited
Patrick
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When a book opens with Betsy Ross stitching on the main character's ...err...part, you know you've got a winner. The book is fast-paced and has a great cast of characters. It will keep you reading and laughing through whatever else is going on. ...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Book source ~ Kindle Unlimited

Waylon Jenkins is a make-up artist in Hollywood. He’s also a zombie but that’s not common knowledge. His secretary is a ghost named Betsy Ross who sews new parts back on his body when he loses one and the tenant in his gate house is a really really old doctor who made him into a zombie in the first place. When the local sheriff has some murder victims but no murderer he thinks it might be Waylon. Because, you know, Waylon is a zombie and the victims were missing som
Samantha
Sep 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Such fun! If you weren't won over by the mere concept of a zombie cosmetologist, then give the first chapter a glance and I'm sure you'll keep reading. A great mix of adventure and comedy, with an original take on zombies that I really enjoyed. These aren't your mindless shamblers or brain-hungry monsters, but something entirely different.

I've already got the second one on my kindle and am looking forward to reading more of Waylon, Betsy, and the rest of the interesting cast of characters.
Sam
Aug 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is an amusing short read! Well written, funny situations & overall a good fun quick read! I did really enjoy it, something a little different to my normal stories but well worth it! I do recommend this, a little like a "cozy" zombie book! ...more
Dino
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read, cool series. Looking forward to the next one!
Awhina Kingi
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another addictive book

Started reading not sure what to expect - didn't put it down until it was finished. Fantastic new series !
Nicole  Reavis
Sep 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was hilarious the entire way through. It opened strong and had me chuckling all the way until the end. Not your average zombie story, and I’m looking forward to reading the next book.
Matt McKee
Ashley M
Sep 06, 2020
Bookworm
Sep 11, 2020

• Hide & Chic (Zombie Cosmetologist Novellas Book 2)
  • Christmas Chopping: A Jenny Ringo Creepy Christmas Story (Jenny Ringo and the House of Fear Book 3)
  • Wolfsong (The Coldstone Case Files Book 3)
  • The Library of Lost Souls: Jenny Ringo and the House of Fear: Book One
  • Something Happened on the Way to the World's Fair (Strange Happenings, #1)
  • betty's big game
  • The Witch's Moon: A short story
  • That Old Book Smell
  • Imaginary Friend
  • Lenses, Leather and Lies, an Alex Lightwood Mystery Prequel Novella
  • Body in the Books
  • Wolfmoon (The Coldstone Case Files Book 2)
  • The Moon of Gomrath (Tales of Alderley, #2)
  • The Weirdstone of Brisingamen (Tales of Alderley, #1)
  • Tempt Me Again (Club Immortality #2)
  • Lay Me Down (Club Immortality Book 1)
  • Boneland (Tales of Alderley, #3)
  • Vacations & Victims (Sapphire Beach Cozy Mystery Series, Book 0)
J.D. Blackrose loves all things storytelling and celebrates great writing by posting about it on her website, www.slipperywords.com. She has published The Soul Wars series and the Monster Hunter Mom series, both through Falstaff Books, as well as numerous short stories.

When not writing, Blackrose lives with three children, an orange cat, her husband and a full-time job in Corporate Communications.

News & Interviews