Start by marking “Dear Emmie Blue” as Want to Read:
Dear Emmie Blue

Dear Emmie Blue

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  6,872 ratings  ·  1,667 reviews
When 16-year-old Emmie releases a balloon with her biggest secret hidden inside, she doesn't expect anyone to find it. When, a few weeks later, Lucas Moreau does just that, the two teens develop an instant rapport, going from trading emails to a deep and enduring friendship. Fourteen years later, Lucas asks Emmie to be his "best woman" at his upcoming wedding. Emmie accept ...more
Published July 14th 2020 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books (first published June 14th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Emmie Blue, please sign up.
Kari The bulk of the book takes place when the main characters are 30-ish (with just a few flashbacks to when they were in high school/college), so I'm not…moreThe bulk of the book takes place when the main characters are 30-ish (with just a few flashbacks to when they were in high school/college), so I'm not sure how much a 14-year-old would connect with it or be interested in our main character's journey and feelings she's struggling with as a 30-year-old. There are no explicit or overtly sexual scenes, but there are some flashbacks/discussions of a past sexual assault. (less)
Caryn Happy cry. More misty-eyed than a true cry. :)

·  6,872 ratings  ·  1,667 reviews

Start your review of Dear Emmie Blue
Nilufer Ozmekik
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am emotional wreck! I felt like my throat not only filled with cotton balls, but it seemed like at least 3000 acres cotton land invaded my entire body! Eyes are red-rimmed, nose is like tomato juice ( bloody red and runny) and my cruel heart is broken into pieces!

Dear Lia Louis, what have you done to me? I loved this story so much and I wish it could be adapted into screen. I can already visualize the billboards at the streets chanting for “Team Lucas” or “Team Eliot”! This is one of the be
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
❤️❤️Happy pub day to one of my fav books of 2020❤️❤️

OMG I LOVE this book! Okay this book was nowhere to be found on my radar. I am so thankful that the publisher suggested I read this because it blew me away. No kidding, Emmie Blue stole my heart. What did I love? Every single word of this story. I loved the characters, the premise.......everything.

You know when you crack open a book hoping for the best...then you get that feeling from the very first chapter...that this is it...this is going to
Kaceey
4.5*
This is one of those reads that sneaks up on you and when you least expect it…wraps itself around your heart.❤️

Emmie Blue just turned thirty. A birthday she gladly shares with her dearest friend Lucas. Tonight, she’s wishing on a star, with all her heart that Lucas opens his eyes and sees what she believes. That the two of them could have a wonderful future together, far beyond the “friend zone.” Well, all you hopeless romantics…let’s just say things don’t always turn out as we hope.

Emmie B
Jayme
It was SERENDIPITY! 🎈

It had to be!

How else could you explain how an insecure, slightly awkward sixteen year old girl, can release a balloon 🎈 into the sky, with her big secret and her email address and have it be found by a boy, an ocean away who is the same age, with the same birthday, and the same obsession with Marmite and “Footballers Wives”?

So, Emmie just KNOWS what Lucas is about to propose, on their mutual 30th birthday...it has to be the day that their 14 year friendship, will be defin
Sheyla ✎

" I tend to only fancy one person at a time."

Guys, This is my favorite book so far this year!

Oh, the feels! So many feels. It was everything I wanted it to be.

There were tears, sad moments, happy moments, don't-leave types of moments, and ecstatic moments.

As a lover of romance, Dear Emmie Blue melted my heart. My kindle is full of highlights. So many favorite one-liners <3.

So what's the book about?

I almost don't want to tell you. I want you to experience it yourself.

But in case you're
Farrah
Oct 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
⭐4.5 𝙀𝙢𝙢𝙞𝙚 𝙞𝙨 𝙨𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙖 𝙨𝙬𝙚𝙚𝙩𝙞𝙚! 𝙎𝙩𝙖𝙧𝙨⭐

All the words that I've heard used to describe this book are true!
It's 🎈lovely 🎈heartfelt 🎈uplifting 🎈emotional 🎈romantic 🎈cute 🎈charming 🎈painful 🎈beautiful....

It's also completely predictable, but that didn't bother me 𝙖𝙩 𝙖𝙡𝙡. The joy of this book isn't wondering what will happen next, the joy is the experience of watching Emmie discover what happens next 💙
Susanne  Strong
Happy PUB DAY!

Just Call it Kismet! Dear Emmie Blue Hits all the Right Notes and gives you “ALL THE FEELS!

At Sixteen, Emmie Blue feels lost and alone. When she releases a balloon into the sky with a note inside containing her name and email address, she never imagines that it will find its way to Lucas over 1,000 miles away. Lucas is the same age and has the same birthday as Emmie.
From that moment on a friendship is born and every birthday thereafter for the next 14 years is spent together. Emmi
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
These days are making a lot of us feel more than a little anxious including me. I needed something light and ultimately uplifting to read and I found just that in this novel.

At first I thought this was going to be a little too saccharine for my taste. However as the author further developed Emmie’s personality and we learn her backstory, I understood her better.

She has been, at least in her mind, in love with a boy she met when she was sixteen. The blurb will tell you that she released a balloon
Berit☀️✨
Emmie Blue, you melted my heart! Lia Louis this book was beyond perfect, seriously adorable. At 16 lonely Emmy released a balloon with her email and a note written on a card tied to it. Lucas on a beach in France finds the balloon and emails Emmie. Remarkably the two are instantly connected, not only are they the same age, but they share a birthday. It is now 14 years later Emmie and Lucas have been each others person for over a decade, but Emmie wants more. It is the night of their combined 30t ...more
Virginie
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, romance
So much more than a romance story!

Yes, for sure, the love story was cute and I got chills when Emmie finally kissed *the one I was rooting for*. But it was also a deeper story about friendship, about finding who we are, about family and even about abuse (nothing graphic). I fell for these characters and already miss them.

The writing flowed easily and I could see the story playing in my head like a movie. It was better than I expected! Thanks to my GR friends who gave it 5 stars, it's because I
Bridgett
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
“It’s weird, but in moments like this…. our cheeks aching from laughing, with nothing to do but to make up silly games to pass the time, with cold lemonades at our feet, the sun in the sky, and nothing but lovely plans for the next few days, it feels almost risky to be this happy. It feels like I am goading all the things that could go wrong, to happen.”

I was not expecting to love Dear Emmie Blue as much as I did. In fact, I received a copy from the publisher months ago, but because
Katie B
Jun 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It didn't take me long to fall in love with the story and the main character. Emmie was a character who I felt protective over and couldn't help but root for her to find happiness. I caught myself smiling more than once while reading and that's always fun when you find your own happiness in a book. Such a refreshing read and very much needed in my life right now to kinda recharge my weary batteries.

When Emmie Blue was a teenager she wrote a note and attached it to a balloon. She let the balloon
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This is a weird one for me to review. I think that SO MANY people will find value in this book, but I think for me personally it just.. wasn't quite what I was expecting so I don't think it hit the notes for me that it may hit for others. I did enjoy this book, but I feel like it was a lot more melancholy and heavy than I personally like when reading books of a similar genre. I do think that this book is pretty universally enjoyable, but I particularly think that if you're someone who enjoys a b ...more
Corina
This book has so much to offer. It was full of love, longing, and so many feelings, and some heartbreak too. All around it was one of these love stories that stick with you.

My most favorite thing about this story were the characters and their interactions. There was so much heart in everything they did and said to each other. Truly, the friendships were everything in this novel.

Rosie, Emmie’s best female friend was HILARIOUS!!!! OMG she made my day. And her and Fox (Emmie and Rosie’s colleague)
Emer (A Little Haze)
I’d like to be left alone in a dark corner eating my weight in cookie dough ice cream please and thank you.

OH MY FEELS!!

This book was just perfect. It was heartbreaking, sad, hopeful, romantic... filled with anger, loss, longing, sweetness, joy, laughter, regret, belief, trust... and I loved every single second of it.

Content warning: sexual assault

When Emmie was a teenager she was sexually assaulted by the father of her best friend at a school dance but no one believed her. Her mother saw her
Christine
May 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
4. 5 stars rounded to 4 stars

What a great debut novel this is. Being in the midst of two “once-in-a-lifetime” crises in our country, plus having a sick kitty, and also undergoing a complicated prosthetic hip revision all at once, I chose something a bit lighter to distract me from life. This one fit the bill perfectly.

Emmie is 30 years old and is basically lost in terms of where her life is going. She has a crappy mother, an unknown father, a low-level job, a rented room with a cold landlady, an
preoccupiedbybooks
4.5 stars. This book was adorable, and made me cry, smile and laugh! 💕😭Emmie Blue must be protected at all costs!
Scott
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

" . . . and then there was me. Me. The girl in the old creased dress. The girl who loves someone she shouldn't. A third wheel. A fifth wheel." -- the title character, on page 122

An absolutely charming and involving British romantic dramedy, Dear Emmie Blue works because of the personable protagonist and her first-person narration. Emmie ("nobody really calls me Emmeline") Blue is a thirty year-old waitress at a hotel restaurant, where she usually gabs with the friendly co-worker duo of
Kendall
Jun 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
AWWWWW Dear Emmie Blue was overload with sweetness and cuteness!!

I was seeing so many high stars for this one and was terrified that I would be another outlier. But, ladies and gents I also really enjoyed it yay!

When I was younger, in my early twenties funny story. I actually always on and off fooled around with sending a balloon in the sky with a letter attached to find the love of my life haha. I never ended up doing it but I fell in love with the premise.

What more could you ask for in a roma
Tina
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible, audio-books
4.5 *

Did I pick this up because a lot of people were saying it reminds them a bit of Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine? Well yes. I adored that book. Guess what? This one was superb as well all in it's own right!!

I listened to the audio. The premise is unique. The story is amazing. The narrator is fantastic! The writing is super! Emmie Blue is so likeable and sweet 💙 I would love to see this as a movie! What an ending! 🎈

Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

When 16-year old Emmie Blue released a balloon with a note tied to its string, she never knew that a boy her own age would discover it on a beach in France, or that the two would become besties and have a friendship that would last well over a decade. But that’s just what happened. Now on the cusp of Lucas’ upcoming nuptials, Emmie has to decide if she’s ready to tell her true feelings or simply be his “Best Woman.”

The blurb doesn’t l
Lacey
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dear Emmie Blue is far and away one of the best books I've read this year. I doubt it'll be winning a Pulitzer anytime soon, but it does what all great fiction is supposed to do: it captures the human experience at its highs, lows, and in-betweens. It makes you feel everything all at once, and other times it makes you feel void of any feeling at all. It leaves you wanting more. It's funny and it's poignant and it's unbelievably sad. Hopeful, and also painful. There's joy, longing, jealousy, wist ...more
Lori
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Charming and heartwarming! What a wonderful surprise this turned out to be. I loved the characters and the story kept me engaged. Reminded me a lot of Bridget Jones's Diary. This may go down as one of my favorites of 2020. Worth every one of the 5-star reviews it’s received. ...more
jenny✨
Dear Emmie Blue, 🎈

Your story hurt my heart in the BEST way. I seriously couldn't help but fall for you a little more with every painful, beautiful step you took toward the life you deserve.

I'm a sucker for unrequited love stories like yours. (Which, by the way, was written with such poignant humour and lyricism.) You released a red balloon fourteen years ago, when you were at your loneliest and most vulnerable. When you were shunned for the actions of a man who shattered your life. You wished fo
Susan's Reviews
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed all the characters in this delightful novel. Emmie has had a rough "teen-hood" and her absentee, atrocious parents were only a small part of her issues (no spoilers here!) After Lucas finds the message attached to her balloon, Lucas and Eliot become her surrogate family. As most readers will guess, Emmie falls in love with Lucas, but Fate has a different plan in store fo
BernLuvsBooks
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, 2020, adult-reads
This book will break your heart many times over, yet leave you feeling as buoyant as the balloon on its cover before you turn the last page. I LOVED it! ⁣

Oh, Dear Emmie Blue - how I wanted to reach into the pages of this book and hug you! Lia Louis did an amazing job of not only bringing her characters to life but of making the reader feel so much emotion. This book made me laugh & cry. I felt so much emotion right along with Emmie - joy, hope, sadness, loneliness, acceptance and love. ⁣

There
DeAnn
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
4 sentimental stars

Emmie has just turned 30 and she’s so disappointed – her best friend (and whom she secretly loves) since age 16 has just told her that he’s marrying someone else. Can she tell him the truth and then they live happily ever after?

Emmie Blue is a sweet woman who has worked hard to overcome a traumatic high school event. She’s working at a dead-end job, she lives in a small over-heated room, her mom is distant, and she doesn’t know her Dad. Now that Lucas is engaged, she’s really
Theresa Alan
Oct 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful romance. Emmie Blue sent out a balloon on her 16th birthday and Lucas Moreau finds it in France. He and Emmie become friends, which Emmie desperately needs because of a tragic thing that happened to her. Her mother isn’t there for her and she doesn’t know who her father is, so Lucas and his family become her support network.

Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read this novel.
Lucy
Jan 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2021, audiobooks, romance
Ever read a book and feel like you've become friends with the main character? That was exactly me with this book 😄.

I loved this book from beginning to end! I didn't always agree with Emmie Blue's decisions, but I was rooting for her the entire way. Sometimes I wanted to give her a hug, other times I wanted to say "Seriously?!" to her 😆. In the end, I liked the way everything turned out and was happy for Emmie.

I highly recommend this book! It's a fun, feel-good, and cleverly crafted story 🎈.
Jessica | JustReadingJess
Dear Emmie Blue is a wonderfully unique story! Emmie is in love with her best friend, Lucas. When Lucas makes plans to tell her big news, she is expecting him to say he has feelings for her, but of course Lucas has other plans. You might think you've read other stories like this, but Dear Emmie Blue is different. Dear Emmie is a story of love and friendship. Emmie will discover some things she always believed were wrong. Sometimes what you think you want is not really what you want. Dear Emmie i ...more
Play Book Tag: Dear Emmie Blue by Lia Louis 1 11 Feb 21, 2021 04:12PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Dear Emmie Blue by Lia Louis - Starting Februay 7th 2021 42 23 Feb 21, 2021 03:57PM

• The History of Bees (Klimakvartetten, #1)
  • The Cafe by the Sea (Mure, #1)
  • The Vanderbeekers and the Hidden Garden (The Vanderbeekers, #2)
  • Women & Children First
  • The Truth Hurts
  • The Giver of Stars
  • Sex and Vanity
  • Verdens Verste Jul (#3)
  • Tåkedis
  • Gaven
  • On the Bright Side: Stories about Friendship, Love, and Being True to Yourself
  • Christmas Shopaholic
  • MemoRandom (MemoRandom, #1)
  • Bleed for Me (Joseph O'Loughlin #4)
  • Missing
  • The Wolves of Leninsky Prospekt
  • In the Dark (DI Adam Fawley, #2)
  • Escape From the Tower (The Royal Rabbits of London #2)

Articles featuring this book

Finding the perfect book at the perfect moment can feel a lot like falling in love. Both experiences bring up those “I can’t take my eyes off of...
“Do you know why I like storms? They're a little reminder that we're not at all in charge, but Mother Nature is. And while the world might not look exactly how we'd prefer it to, it is enough, if we just stop and look. The whole sky lit up. The smell of the rain. Safe inside. What more could you need?” 11 likes
“Maybe home isn’t a place. It’s a feeling. Of being cared for and understood. Of being loved.” 9 likes