Start by marking “The Little Kitten” as Want to Read:
The Little Kitten

The Little Kitten

From beloved author-illustrator Nicola Killen comes a charming autumnal story about a little girl who must return a lost kitten to its home, lovingly told and illustrated in limited color with lovely foil and interactive die cut pages.

Ollie and her cat Pumpkin are out frolicking on a beautiful fall day when they come upon a tiny kitten shivering in a pile of fallen leaves.
Published July 21st 2020 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books

To ask other readers questions about The Little Kitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Kitten

Start your review of The Little Kitten
Kathryn
Really adorable. Love the illustrations — they are cozy with a gentle dose of spooky atmosphere when needed — and the little embellishments like cut-away peek-throughs and shiny foil on the leaves just adds to the delight. The cats are darling and the ending has a fun little twist that made me smile.
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
This is an utterly perfect cat-centric autumn Halloween-ish picture book. I couldn't have imagined a book more suited to all things I love this time of year. The illustrations are gorgeous, black and white with orange, including metallic orange in the fall leaves and pumpkins and clever little cut-outs! So pretty!!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ollie and her cat Pumpkin are exploring on a lovely fall evening when Ollie runs across a lost kitten. Ollie sees some lost kitten posters in the woods and she helps the little kitten return home. But where is her own cat?

Lovely gold leaf and little cut-out windows add to the interactive quality of this gentle and charming little fall tale.
Baby Bookworm
Oct 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews
Hello, friends! Our book today is The Little Kitten by Nicola Killen, an adorable autumn tale of feline friendship.

Little Ollie, clad in a playful catsuit, is ready to head outside to enjoy a fall day with her own pet cat, Pumpkin. Yet just as she’s about to jump into a pile of crunchy leaves, a gust of wind blows them all away – to reveal a shivering kitten hidden within! Ollie and Pumpkin welcome their new friend with a day of play and cuddles, but in all the excitement, Ollie and the new kitt
Tracie
Die cut and foil illustrations add charm to this sweet autumn story about a lost kitten who joins a cat-loving girl on a nighttime adventure.
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: halloween
Nicola Killen's reindeer book is one of my most favorite Christmas books (and so easy to make interactive with bells!) so i was very excited for a halloween themed book as well. I don't know if this one lends itself as easily to making it interactive, but I adore the shimmery leaves and peep-through cutouts in the illustrations. The story follows a young girl as she finds a witch's missing cat. Darling for fall.
Kid Lit Reviews
The Little Kitten is a sweet, simple story about friendship, responsibility, and gratitude. Or, it is a simple, heartfelt story for Halloween as an alternative to all the scary stories told this time of year. Ollie, Pumpkin, and Little Kittle become fast friends. They play well together and when tired they rest together. The Little Kitten never tries to run away from Ollie and Pumpkin. When Ollie realizes Little Kitten is lost and his pet human wants him back home, Ollie responsibly decides to d ...more
Tonja Drecker
Jul 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
While this author's book, The Little Reindeer, warmed my heart, this new one has made me an absolute fan of her work.

Ollie goes outside to play with her friendly cat, but as she stares at a pile of leaves, she sees it move. A burst of wind exposes a hidden bundle of fur...and the adventure begins.

First off, I enjoy the illustrations in this book. They are mostly kept in black, white, and grays, leaving only certain objects to burst forth in glorious shades of orange. Add the metallic touches on
Tasha
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
On an autumn day, Ollie heads outside wearing her catsuit and followed by her cat, Pumpkin. She was about to jump in a pile of leaves when she noticed that it was moving! Inside she discovered a shivering little kitten. After warming the kitten up, the three of them played together in the woods until they needed a rest. That’s when Ollie accidentally left Pumpkin behind as she continued to play with the kitten, moving farther and farther away. After following a secret path in the woods, Ollie an ...more
Erica Metcalf
The Little Kitten by Nicola Killen is a cute tale with absolutely stunning artwork! If you're looking for a book for a little one that is just perfect for this season, look no further!

Full disclosure: I was given a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my rating in any way.

So first of all, how adorable is that cover?! I had this book sitting on my shelf with the cover displayed for a couple of months, just waiting to dive in once October
Heidi
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This adorable book follows the adventures of a young girl named Ollie and her cat Pumpkin. As they go to play in a pile of leaves the wind reveals a young kitten hiding therein. After playing with the kitten for a while, the three curl up under a tree to rest. Afterwards, Ollie and the kitten go off to play leaving Pumpkin napping under the tree. Finally, Ollie notices the numerous lost kitten posters on the trees and determines to help the kitten find her way home. In the process, Ollie herself ...more
Angela
Oct 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I planned to buy this book for my nephew, but decided to keep it for myself because it was so adorable. (He's a bit too young for it now.) The illustrations are beautiful with a lovely and thoughtful color palette of black, gray, and orange. It's perfect for autumn! There are also foil details on parts of the pictures to highlight things like leaves and pumpkins. It's a really beautiful book. Some of the pages have cutouts which add some fun and tie together what's happening on the different pag ...more
Suebee
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love fall picture books, and this one is worth the read because of the gorgeous illustrations (with orange metallic details sprinkled throughout - just magical) and the clever use of 2-3 cutouts. Ollie is a little girl with a pet cat, and they are frolicking in the fall leaves when they discover a kitten who has lost her home. Ollie follows the kitty to the kitty's house, but forgets about her own cat! They are reunited, and at the end Ollie gets a sweet "thank you" from the kitty in the form ...more
Meredith
Ollie and her cat Pumpkin discover a lost kitten.

Ollie and her cat Pumpkin go outside where they soon meet a kitten, and together they play outside in the fallen leaves. When Ollie notices the lost cat posters, she takes the little kitten home. Afterwards she becomes lost herself, but Pumpkin finds her and leads her home. And the following day they receive a special thank you gift.

The story evokes the magic of the fall season. The illustrations are grayscale with orange and orange foil accents.

T
Bridget Neace
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was adorable. Not overtly Halloween-ish, definitely more fall-ish. The plot was cute, but what I enjoyed most were the illustrations--there were some...I'm not sure what you call them, "foil" accents on things (ex: the orange falling leaves) that looked nice and there were cut-outs on a few pages that just worked. I just really enjoyed this--I'd love to get a copy for my school library collection (and possibly even one to just own)--definitely want to check out some of the author's other wo ...more
Erin Buhr
Oct 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
The warm orange tones that pull you into these otherwise muted illustrations is what first drew me to this book. The signs of fall; the leaves, the pumpkins, feel magical as they pop on each page. I love that some of them are even accented with orange foil. The story is sweet. It is about a lost kitten. Together beloved Ollie and her cat, Pumpkin, play with the new kitten. Fall outdoor play is celebrated and die cuts gently lead you through the forest. It is warm and captivating. A nice Fall tal ...more
Ali Book&Seaglasshunter
Sep 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb-read-2020
So cute and fun for fall and Halloween. I love the little girl who has an adventurous spirit. She discovers a little cat and they play together in the woods, where she eventually finds a missing poster. Of course since it is Halloween, the cat isn’t just any cat-he is a witches cat. The illustrations are beautiful, with shiny orange touches and peel throughs that add just a hint of magic and whimsy. I love the focus on just black, white, and orange to set the fall and Halloween feel.
Mort's Kids
Nov 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for cats. And of course I appreciate a story with a good witch.

This is really a Halloween book, and honestly I don't see going back to it except in Fall. But it's got well-drawn and compelling art, a simple story that is a both true to life and a bit fantastical, and multiple cats. Worth keeping around for those October reads.
Lynn  Davidson
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ollie was playing outside with her cat, Pumpkin, when she found a little kitten hidden in leaves. They all played together until Ollie saw posters that showed that the kitten was being missed by someone. Nice story. Surprise ending. The illustrations are lovely, with a few peek-a-boo windows in the story.
The Book Squirrel
With foil-accented illustrations and die-cut holes in pages, this was a gorgeous book about a little girl who gets lost in the forest, returns a lost kitten to its [witch] owner, and with the help of her cat, finds her own way home. Very cute!
Kelly
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday, favorites, 2020
This book is so beautiful! I love the shiny orange leaves and the little die-cuts. It is a really cute story, too. It very slightly leans towards being a Halloween book at the end. It's mostly a calm and quiet read, and I just really really like it!
Tricia
Sep 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sweet story of a girl and her pet cat. Slight hint to Halloween, colors in orange and black
Other themes fall/leaves, friendship, costumes, cats, nature
sparkly pages, cutouts on some for clues to the next page
Sandra
Oct 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hunter
What a beautiful book, the illustrations and colors are gorgeous and I love the foil details on the pages. The little cutouts were surprising and fun, props to the books designer. Hunter really loved the story because cats and Halloween.
Alyssa Gudenburr
A super cute book about a little girl who finds a missing kitten in a pile of leaves. The illustrations were amazing with cut outs and shiny copper leaves. This would make a great read aloud or one-on-one story for lower elementary children.
Pinky
Nov 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lauren
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What is not to love about this picture books? Cats, Halloween, witches, gorgeous illustrations! Definitely a new fav!
Jocelin
Aug 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great book to curl up with a warm blanket and a hot cup of cocoa!
Susan Morris
Aug 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Cute story for fall and cat lovers. Library)
Whitney Stanfield
Aug 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a cute book perfect for anyone that loves fall, kittens, and witches.
Mary Kate
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Cute story and illustrations! I liked the use of the limited color palette; it helped emphasize the autumnal feeling of the story.

• Gustavo, the Shy Ghost
  • The Little Ghost Who Lost Her Boo!
  • The Barnabus Project