Start by marking “Something is Killing the Children, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Something is Killing the Children, Vol. 1

Something is Killing the Children, Vol. 1

(Something is Killing the Children #1)

When children begin to go missing in the town of Archer’s Peak, all hope seems lost until a mysterious woman arrives to reveal that terrifying creatures are behind the chaos - and that she alone will destroy them, no matter the cost.

IT’S THE MONSTERS WHO SHOULD BE AFRAID.

When the children of Archer's Peak—a sleepy town in the heart of America—begin to go missing, everythi
Published May 26th 2020 by BOOM! Studios

To ask other readers questions about Something is Killing the Children, Vol. 1, please sign up.
April Buy the trade paperback at your local book or comic store.

Start your review of Something is Killing the Children, Vol. 1
Anne

What the Fuck is Killing the Children?!
Something.

description

I've been hearing about this comic forever. Brag, brag, brag, went my friends when they talked about it. So when I finally got the chance to read it? Well, I was a tiny bit nervous that it had been overhyped and I would expect too much.
But it was actually a really cool story.
About monsters.
Killing children. <--Muahahaha!
Why does that make me so gleeful? No idea. But we're just going to ignore that and move on.

description

Monsters being hunted by mon
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
This graphic novel was awesome! I’m going to have to buy the paperback when I can!! I’m already stoked for the second vol coming out in December!! I’m getting the one graphic framed. The graphics are pretty simple I guess I would say, but I love it!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Tina Haigler
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I generously received this as an ARC from Netgalley for review. Thank you so much!

Honestly guys, I had no idea what to expect, and I was a little worried. I love horror, but typically I do not handle things involving kids very well. Was this going to be a gore fest? I really hoped not, but I prepared myself for it anyway. Did the author take a different route? A psychological thriller perhaps? Would it be a man instead of a monster? Was it going to be a slow burn, or would it jump into the story
Sam Quixote
Apr 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
Something is Killing the Children is both the title and the plot summary of this awful comic to which I would append: - And It’s Not Worth Reading Any Further!

Monsters in a small town are killing children. So some random chick comes to town and starts killing monsters. It really is that simplistically braindead.

Questions like: who are these monsters? Why are they killing children specifically? Why here and now? Who is this girl, the improbably named Erica Slaughter? Why is she killing monsters
Chad
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this. It's Tim Seeley's Imaginary Fiends crossed with a rated R Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The first five issues are pretty straight forward with little hints about larger worldbuilding to come. In a small town in Wisconsin, children are dying. Not only dying but being brutally ripped apart. Enter Erica Slaughter, a badass Goth Buffy going from town to town stopping monsters from killing children. Tynion knows his horror. He quickly sets the mood and a sense of dread hangs over ...more
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Oh, man, I loved this SO MUCH. My heart hurt for poor little James and everyone else in this town, but it's hard to focus for long on the tragedy of these missing and murdered children when this incredibly badass monster hunter, Erica Slaughter, arrives. I loved everything about her character and I seriously need to know more of her back story ASAP. Everything from her character design to her snarky attitude to her fearlessness in the face of monsters had me totally rooting for her and I can't w ...more
Mel (Epic Reading)
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-print
5/5 read. These first 5 comics will make up the trade paperback coming out soon (depending on distribution and printing given the virus situation we are all in).
This is one of my new fave series of the last year. It’s got intrigue, a lead gal, crazy scary monsters, dump police, a secret society (I think?), and missing children. I mean what more can you ask for? Oh yeah and girly uses knives and a chainsaw to fight. Yeah that’s right a chainsaw.
If you don’t like children being injured/killed or
Chelsea Humphrey
This might be the fastest I've ever gotten to an ARC in my life! I don't read a ton of comic books or graphic novels, but I like to dive in occasionally, especially when they feature a dark mystery/thriller vibe. The reviews of Something is Killing the Children Vol. 1 have been overwhelmingly positive, and after seeing my friend Destiny give this bind up such a glowing review, I had to start it immediately. This is one of the best YA comic series I've encountered; it had everything! The graphics ...more
Dave Schaafsma
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gn-horror
Well, that title basically tells you all you need to know. In sleepy Archer's Peak, Wisconsin, something like 19 children are killed or missing, and Erica Slaughter is just in town because she kills monsters. It's very gorey, it's horror, it's super-hyped, it's 2020 Eisner Award nominated, It's your worst nightmare and we have no idea why it is happening. I was not that engaged, though maybe it will change. I doubt it. ...more
James DeSantis
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
James Tynion IV has come a long way. He was always a solid writer but goddamn his recent output has been great.

Something is killing children is by far the best horror book since Sink for me. So now that we got that out of the way, what is it about?

Well it starts off like any good spooky story, with a spooky ghost story. James, our main character, begins to tell all his friends at a sleepover about a creature in the woods. Ohhhhh scary, huh? Well except soon after all these kids end up slaughte
Helen Power
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Volume 1 of this graphic novel is just what the doctor ordered.

Hauntingly grotesque and gorgeous illustrations? Check.

Badass and inscrutable monster-slaying heroine? Check.

Mysterious mythos and hints at more complex worldbuilding to come? Check.

My only complaint is that this instalment isn’t nearly long enough. I need more Erica Slaughter and I am dying to find out what happens next.  Erica is mysterious and has a dangerous edge to her, and her big beautiful haunting eyes are quite creepy, fitti
Alexander Peterhans
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
It's It: The Comic! Now that lazy comparison-blurt is out of the way, this is a book about a town, where children have been disappearing for a while now, and it turns out something is, in fact, killing those children. Luckily, there is a kickass teenage girl that is hunting the somethings, and now she is being helped by a young boy who narrowly escaped the somethings while all his friends got brutally murdered.

It's a real case of First Volume Syndrome - characters are introduced (and they are be
Lukasz
Apr 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wow.

Tynion IV doesn't pull any punches but he knows what he's doing. In Something is Killing the Children, he finds a perfect balance between a morbid, disturbing atmosphere and dramatic writing. Add haunting artwork to the mix, and you get something special.

Loved it.

ARC through NetGalley
Xavier Hugonet
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, arcs
Something is Killing the Children Vol. 1 collects issues one to five of the new comic by James Tynion IV, with artist Wherther Dell’Edera, coloriste Miquel Muerto, and letterers Andwold Design. Published by Boom! Studios (2020)

The title is not misleading at all as, as early as the first issue, several children are indeed getting killed by something. It’s a welcome change from, for example, the book John Dies at the End by David Wong, in which John died in the middle of the book (then got better)
Nen & Jen
May 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Something is Killing the Children, with its gruesome title and captivating cover, has all of the initial hallmarks of a gripping graphic novel read. From the cover’s depiction of monster-infested woods, unexplained events and a woman ready to fight back I was expecting this story to keep me on the edge of my seat and awake at night.

Unfortunately, that’s not what happened.

Instead, Something is Killing the Children moved at a slumber-inducing pace that seemed to detract from the story’s attempt to
Lashaan Balasingam (Bookidote)
Writer James Tynion IV introduces readers to a tantalizing new horror series where the children of Archer’s Peak are victim to a gruesome monster. Their hope now lies in a mysterious girl by the name of Erica Slaughter and her odd partner who are looking to put an end to this fear-inducing terror.

Artist Werther Dell’Edera excels in his artistic style and helps convey Tynion IV’s story with a near-perfect tone and atmosphere. The story unravels like a children’s horror folktale and readers are cl
Kadi P
*Read as single issues*

BANG! - That's how this vol starts. And that's how it continues. And that's how it ends.
There's no dithering, no beating around the bush, no half-hearted action. We've got a monster devoted to its children-killing ways, a monster-hunter devoted to her monster-killing ways, an adult devoted to stopping the monster-hunter's ways and a kid devoted to getting in the way. Oh, and a stuffed octopus toy devoted to being as unhelpful as possible (don't ask).

It was just fantastic!
Kyle Dinges
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Something Is Killing the Children is a new series from BOOM! Studios written by James Tynion IV and drawn Werther Dell’Edera, with Miguel Muerto on colors. This first volume of the series finds a small town plagued by a number of missing and murdered children. Not great! When one kid named James does return, the police don’t believe his gruesome story of monsters in the woods being responsible for the dismemberment of his friends. The mystery escalates when a woman going by Erica Slaughter shows ...more
Jim C
Nov 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Actual rating is 4.5 stars.

This is a collection of comics where the name basically describes what is going on. In a small rural town children are either missing or found dead. Erica Slaughter is a young woman who is backed by an organization that knows what is going on and she is determined to remedy the situation.

I noticed this collection and I was on the fence about reading it. Then my Goodreads friend Melissa loved it so much and recommended that I read it. Thank you so much for that Melissa
Emily
Jun 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
"You've got a monster in those woods."

Something is Killing the Children Vol. 1 is a good introduction to this spooky horror series! I liked the story, art, and the main characters, and I will definitely be continuing on with Vol. 2 when it's released.
Théo M. (bookswiththeo)
Definitely has a lot of potential. Really liked Erica’s character. Would be interested to see where the story goes. Would make a really good Netflix tv show.
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, James Tynion IV and BOOM! Studios for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review*

1.5 stars.

I couldn't decide between 1 star or 2. So I chose 1.5 because it wasn't bad, it just wasn't for me. I didn't connect with the story and the artwork just isn't my style. I did like parts but not a lot of it and not enough to increase my star rating. I guess I was expecting it to be scary to a degree but I didn't feel that at all. Unfortunately this is a miss from me but it
Rod Brown
Sep 01, 2020 rated it liked it
A fairly decent riff on the monster hunting genre that crosses a Buffy the Vampire Slayer lead (or maybe more Billie Eilish) with the darker storytelling of Supernatural. It's not original, but I'm sure Tynion will keep it interesting enough to string me out for several more volumes.

The art is okay, but I'm annoyed by the random use of two-page spreads with small panels that seemed intended to make me read the panels out of order again and again and to lose chunks of art in the binding.
RG
Mar 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This is getting hyped however I wanted a little more world building/backstory plus some characterisation. It just felt a little stilted
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Jun 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Liked the illustrations.

The storyline was just not that convincing to me.

I guess I was expecting a lot more from the book loving the book cover so much.

I wanted it to be more thrilling and adventurous.

The blurb sounds more interesting.

Thanks netgalley for the copy.
Cassie
Oct 19, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a pretty solid start. It was creepy, the artwork was great. Overall, not my favorite thing I’ve ever read, but it wasn’t horrible by any means. This monster does not hold back from ripping kids to pieces lol. I recommend checking out if you like creepy monsters and gory stuff!
Niki
Jun 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
This actually had a lot in common with my other most recent NetGalley-acquired graphic novel, Lizard in a Zoot Suit. Both were enjoyable enough that I flew through, but neither was a particularly fresh story; not to mention that some of the action scenes were kinda hard to follow in both.

In this one, the title tells you all you need to know: there's monsters killing children, and a girl is sent there to kill the monsters (gave me Malus Domestica vibes besides the obvious It/ Stranger Things) The
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.0 Stars
I loved the premise so much, but the actual execution left me underwhelmed. I thought the story was objectively good, but I never felt compelled to keep reading.  I did enjoy the artwork however. The colour choices and panel setups were beautiful and atmospheric.
Shannon
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most interesting series I've read this year.

Individual issue reviews: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5

Total review score: 4
Ashley
Review To Come

BOOKCITEMENT LEVEL 4/5

Review Copy from publisher through Netgalley

I liked this. It had enough mystery to leave me really intrigued. I'm interested to see where the story goes next. I'm also a fan of the art style. It's sketchy feeling, but it feels finished at the same time. The colors are muted and dim. Our main girl does have a weird style to her that works.
I liked it.

• Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love
  • Once & Future, Vol. 1: The King is Undead
  • Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators
  • Once & Future, Vol. 2: Old English
  • They Called Us Enemy
  • Find Me (Call Me By Your Name, #2)
  • Basketful of Heads
  • Twas the Nightshift Before Christmas
  • My Hero Academia, Vol. 1 (My Hero Academia, #1)
  • Ash
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 5: Wicked Worlds
  • Reckless
  • Nervous Conditions
  • Sisters of Sorrow #1
Prior to his first professional work, Tynion was a student of Scott Snyder's at Sarah Lawrence College. A few years later, he worked as for Vertigo as Fables editor Shelly Bond's intern. In late 2011, with DC deciding to give Batman (written by Snyder) a back up feature, Tynion was brought in by request of Snyder to script the back ups he had plotted. Tynion would later do the same with the Batman ...more

Something is Killing the Children (3 books)
  • Something is Killing the Children, Vol. 2