Start by marking “Date Night” as Want to Read:
Date Night

Date Night

Returning early from a disastrous date night with my husband, I know something is wrong the moment the wheels crunch the gravel drive of our home. Inside, the TV is on and a half-eaten meal waits on the table. My heart stops when I find our little girl is alone in the house and our babysitter, Sasha, is missing…

Days later, when I’m arrested for Sasha’s murder and torn away
Published August 20th 2019 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about Date Night, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Date Night
Maureen
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Well - you could have knocked me down with a feather! But forgive me, I’m getting ahead of myself, after being completely stunned by the ending of this one!

A date night - on the face of it, something that a couple should look forward to, something to be enjoyed. For Libby and Sean that means a meal at their favourite restaurant. They’d been having a few problems recently, after a note was left on Libby’s car saying that Sean was having an affair. Sean completely denies it and he arranges this ra
Dita
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Libby finds a note on her car telling her that her husband, Sean, is having an affair. Their planned Date Night is a disaster and when they get home their ordinarily quite responsible babysitter, Sasha, is nowhere to be found and Alice, the 4 year old, is by herself.

Libby is arrested for Sasha's murder and vehemently denies any knowledge of events but does she know more than she is saying?

This is a compelling story of secrets, lies and control; juicy and well-spun. It dragged a bit in the middle
Linda
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Someone has a date with fate.....

Hardly a sacred moment to rekindle that fire.

Libby and Sean Randell have been experiencing a lot of static in their marriage as of late. Both of them have demanding careers with Libby's gourmet catering business and Sean's on-call life as the local vet. They also have a lively four year old daughter, Alice, who loves spending time with Sean's parents on their farm outside of Great Lyne.

As Libby starts her car one morning, rushing as usual, she spots a note on the
Sue
This ticked all the boxes for me.
For a thriller...

Suspense✔️
Missing person✔️
Psychological thriller✔️
Unputdownable✔️

A couple with everything they needed, nice home, job, child, good marriage until......
𝐀 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝, 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐛𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚𝐧 𝐚𝐟𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐫

What?!

So there plants the doubt and confusion.
Would you be able to ignore this entirely? Or would you sometimes read into things and wonder if it may be true.

So a date night is planned.
𝕭𝖚𝖙 𝖎𝖙 𝖆𝖑𝖑 𝖌𝖔𝖊𝖘 𝖜𝖗
Louise Wilson
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Libby thinks that she has a solid marriage to Sean. Then one morning there's a note on her windscreen telling her that her husband Is having an affair. She confronts him and of course, she denies it. She doesn't believe him but they go on a date night for dinner to try and ease the tension. The date does not go to well, so they return home. But when they get there the babysitter is missing. Libby is arrested under the suspicion of murder.

This story is told in a dual timeline. One in the past tha
Suzy
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Well, wasn’t that a pleasant surprise?! After fearing “genre burnout” due to my last read, I was understandably hesitant to start this one. My fears quickly subsided the moment I started reading. It had me hooked from the start and didn’t let go!

Date Night takes us for the ride of our lives and it’s EVERYTHING! Full of lies, secrets, secrets and especially SECRETS! Everything I adore in a psychological thriller! Twists at every corner that will keep you guessing all the way t
Amanda
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Libby and Sean with their 4 year old daughter Alice seem happy together, although with them both working long hours their relationship has run a little stale. Libby runs her own business and Sean works long hours as a partner in a veterinary practise.

When Libby receives a mystery note saying Sean is cheating on her they agree to a date night to reassure her he is faithful,which ends up with them arguing as Sean’s phone keeps beeping as he gets numerous messages and he won’t say who they are fro
Tan Markovic
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a ride!
Highly recommended read
Bren
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of domestic thrillers and mysteries.
Recommended to Bren by: Suzy and Dita
Once it was "out there", once people knew about it, it would seem more real. Even though it couldn't possibly be.

Could it?

Date Night by Samantha Hayes

If someone looked up the phrase "oh what a tangled web we weave" there would be a picture of this book I'm sure!

Date Night was a book that I finished in just a few short hours. It is fast paced and is one of those twisty domestic thrillers that gets you involved from the start.

When Lib by and Sean have a "date night" out, they return to find their
Ceecee
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book started in an interesting way with the arrest of Libby Randell on suspicion of murder The story was told from Before the arrest and Now and there were a few occasions when I was a little confused but those queries resolved themselves as events unfolded. Libby was suspicious that her husband Sean was having an affair and Date Night was an attempt to patch things up and that was obviously the point at which things in their lives spiralled out of control. Some of the characters were likeab ...more
Helga
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: british, mystery, crime
4.5

There are secrets buried in the land

If you are a fan of genuinely good psychological thrillers where you are left dumbfounded at the end, then Samantha Hayes is the author for you. She has a way of telling the story that leaves you to guess what is implied. Her twists and shocks are not straightforward and that is what I like about her books. Like many authors nowadays she doesn’t assume the readers to be stupid and does not chew everything for them.

The story begins by Libby Randell being ta
ABookwormWithWine
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ / 5

Well color me surprised! Date Night by Samantha Hayes was frustrating to read, but completely brilliant!

What it's about: Libby and her husband Sean go out for a date night and leave their daughter Alice with their babysitter Sasha. But when they get home, Sasha is gone and Alice is upstairs sleeping in her bed. A few days later Libby is arrested, but she swears she didn't do anything. But why does no one believe her, and why did her husband give an additional statement contradicting
Mark
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing

This book, for me, is all about the ending, which I hadn’t guessed at all ( I had thought of lots of scenarios leading up to the reveal, turns out all were wrong 😎😃😃 )
The ending is superb, what a psychological thriller really should be, a ‘shock’ moment and indeed if was!
But enough about the ending, to get to any ending there has to be a story.....
Libby and Sean are madly in love, they have their daughter, their businesses,,their little dream cottage, all is well
Until one day Libby finds a note
Lisa
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
This one did not work for me...but I see I'm in the minority (again!).

The characters really irritated me and some parts of the story were clunky and misleading (not in a good way).
I can cope with unlikeable characters but not weak ones.
I just couldn't get out of my head that if my husband spoke to me the way Sean speaks to Libby he would not be my husband...and unfortunately I just couldn't let it go.

The story itself was good but the characters/character interaction spoilt it for me.

Sorry but
Pauline
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Libby and her husband Sean arrive home after a night out in a local restaurant to find that the babysitter has gone and their four year old daughter is alone in the house.
A psychological thriller with so many twists and turns that I didn't know who to believe.
I always enjoy Samantha Hayes books and this was a really good read.
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Mandy White
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, that did not play out how I had imagined at all …. gotta love that right! Date Night by Samantha Hayes is a book that I devoured in 2 sittings. It had me hooked from the very first chapter and I had to know how this was going to end. The ending blew me away - I doubt many people will see it coming at all. It is a quick read, with short chapters and plenty of twists along the way. If you haven't read anything by Samantha Hayes then you really should, you don't know what you are missing.

Libb
Nicki
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg,I honestly didn't see that ending coming,that was one hell of a totally,unexpected,jaw dropping twist. I was so shocked,I ended up sitting in my comfy chair,doing a very good impression of omg cat for at least five minutes.

Libby hadn't thought that her day could get any worse,first she had found a note on the front windscreen of her car,informing her that her husband Sean was cheating on her. Then a date night that Sean had organised ended up being a unmitigated disaster. Instead of repairin
Tammy
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: release-2019
4.5 stars! A fast-moving psychological page-turner with surprise twists around every corner. Very good, loved the suspense!!
Everything’s picture perfect between Libby and her husband Sean until Libby finds a note on her windshield “Sean is having an affair..” Her husband denies it, but the seed has already been planted.
Immediately the strain of doubt begins to separate them. They set a date night, hoping to put things back on track, it’s a disaster.
Returning home Sasha the babysitter is missi
Lisa-Books Smiles
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Rounding up because of the ending. Full review to come.
Selena
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free e-copy of Date Night by Samantha Hayes from NetGalley for my honest review.

This book kept me up reading through the night. I just couldn't put it down. It kept me guessing till the very end.

Libby is happily married to her husband, Sean. She loves and trusts him with all her heart. Then one day, she finds a note on the windshield of her car stating that Sean is having an affair. She confronts him about it and he of course, denies it. Libby starts to get paranoid and is question
Shalini
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Kill me, kill me now... OK don't kill me. The book will do it for you. It raised my suspense to such levels that the adrenaline caused my heart to race, the pitch was high, and the beats were loud. That was the magic of Sam Hayes' writing.

Libby and Sean went for their date night, with Sasha as their babysitter looking after daughter Alice. A misunderstanding, a fight or two, the couple returned back to find Sasha missing. A few weeks later, Libby was arrested on the suspicion of Sasha's murder.
Linda Strong
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Date Night is not going so well for Libby and her husband , Sean. Receiving a note that states her husband is cheating on her isn't real conducive to a romantic evening. Even though Sean denies there is anyone else, why does his phone keep pinging with texts and he doesn't even look to see who it's from?

Returning home early from the disastrous date, they find that their babysitter is missing. Their young daughter is safe in bed asleep ... but where has Sasha gone? She would never leave the chil
Tracy Frenette
Jul 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Date Night by Samantha Hayes
Release date August 20th 2019
Sean and Libby seem to have a happy marriage. Then one morning Libby is taking their daughter Alice to her mother-in-law's and Libby finds a note on her windshield. "Sean is having an affair". The note has been bothering her for a couple days now. So Sean and Libby decide to have a Date Night to reconnect and put the note out of their minds. Well date night doesn't go as planned and it leaves Libby more suspicious then before. They leav
Nov 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m so conflicted over this book. The first 3/4 of the book was really good and kept me hooked and I was desperate to find out what happened. The downsides to this book was that a lot of the book was confusing and so many different accounts of what happened had me unable to know what was going on and the ending of the book was absolutely ridiculous. It just felt like all the book had led up to that and it was such a let down. The characters were all horrible so there was no one you could root fo ...more
Michele
Just imagine for a minute that you find a note on your car windshield telling you that your husband is having an affair. How would you react? Then imagine that when you ask him about it, he is offended and brushes you off. Then, every time you try to bring up the subject again or anytime you ask who he is texting or calling, you are met with his impatience and frustration. Suddenly you are the "bad guy" because you have doubts...

Now all of a sudden, this person you used to know so well starts t
Chloe
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
⭐⭐⭐⭐ 1/2

Libby and Sean go on a date night to resolve their differences in marriage but the night doesn't go as planned and they end up arguing and leaving early. Things go bad from worse when they get home to find their daughter all alone and the babysitter Sasha is nowhere to be found . Days later, Libby is arrested for Sasha's murder, and although she insists that she is innocent no one believes her. She tells them she didn't hurt Sasha .. but no one is listening to her. What really did happen
Melissa
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Sadly, this book didn't work for me. I was confused for half of the book, everything was going anywhere, assumptions were made and refuted... I was so lost, I didn't enjoy how the plot unfolded. And this plot! It's something. Sooooo far from being what I was thinking. I'm happy to have finished it, though. I really wanted to know how it was going to end....

Many thanks to Bookouture for the e-copy of this book through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Samantha Gonsalves
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
Flippin Fantastic! Date Night is so insanely twisted you'll never see the ending coming! Compelling, twisted and fast-paced, this book was one I did not want to stop reading! Starting out, I thought this would be just another thriller in a sea of thrillers with similar themes, but no! As I got deeper into the story I found this one to be very hard to put down!

Libby and Sean Randell are living the perfect life with their daughter Alice till one day Libby receives a note on her car telling her th
Shelby
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Libby has never been arrested before, especially not on the suspicion of murder. Libby is left to wonder how on earth she got there? So we have to go back to the beginning, when everything began.

Libby was taking her 4-year old daughter, Alice, to school when she discovers a note on her windshield. The meaning of the note was straight to the point—her husband Sean was having an affair. Even though Sean swore up and down that there was no truth to that note, Libby remained suspicious.

To clear th
Susana
ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

4 stars

This book is about:

A woman named Libby who receives a note saying her husband Sean is cheating on her. After debating it with herself, she decides to confront him and although he denies it completely, she doesn't believe him and they go out for dinner on a date to ease the tension.

However, it doesn't go very well and they end up going home early and finding the babysitter they left their daughter with missing.

Now, in the presen
YA Buddy Readers'...: Date Night by Samantha Hayes - Starting April 17, 2020 9 18 May 09, 2020 09:57PM

• Single
  • The Marriage Betrayal
  • Little Whispers
  • The Guilty Mother
  • The Secrets He Kept
  • The Night You Left: The tense and shocking thriller that readers can’t put down
  • The Other Daughter
  • One Mistake
Hello!

Thanks for stopping by my Goodreads page!

I'm thrilled that my latest book THE REUNION is out NOW from all good online ebook retailers, as well as a paperback from Amazon. I do hope you love it!

If you love a good 'domestic noir' thriller that will mess with your mind and keep you turning the pages, then this one's for you! Here's the blurb...

"They were all there the day

News & Interviews