Start by marking “In the Shadow of Rome” as Want to Read:
In the Shadow of Rome

In the Shadow of Rome

Roman soldiers, based on the Antonine Wall, Rome’s most northerly frontier in Britain in the 2nd century CE, live, work, and fight beside native Britons who have settled in the shadow of the wall, in the village known as Clotagenium (Old Kilpatrick) on the banks of the River Clwyd (Clyde).
Life is dangerous, and conflicts arise between the soldiers and raiding Caledonii fr
Published June 11th 2019

To ask other readers questions about In the Shadow of Rome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Shadow of Rome

Start your review of In the Shadow of Rome
Shalini
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"I read a book of ancient Rome
Filled with history, war, politics, and then some
A time led by the hatred of Optio Vespasian
An era of soldiers banded in auxilium
Hate and love go hand in hand
Man of sea and woman of land
Soldier Sigdan with Giorsal, his lass
A woman of strength and more sass
Dreams bloomed with the womb
Their destiny soon became the tomb
When evil sullied one such kid
Giorsal rushed in dangerous aid
Sigdan then took matters in hand
Prison was where they both land
Then...
A plan bloomed
A sta
Tarrant Smith
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was wonderful and the research that went into depicting this time period was evident from the very beginning. I really enjoyed reading it. Make sure you have tissues for the ending. Sigdan and Giorsal's saga, though sad, is very satisfying.

Readers need to be prepared for the slow build-up. There really is not action beyond daily life until the end. The author spends a lot of time bringing all the character threads together like in The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. But this book
Deborah Kaminski
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story reminds me of Ravel’s Bolero. It starts slowly, with a unique setting, excellent world building, a collection of engaging characters, and with the thrum of tension sounding just beneath. Then it builds in volume bit by bit, introducing new characters and themes, until finally it explodes in the last half with surprises and gripping narrative. Highly recommended.
I have never read a book about a settlement along a Roman wall, essentially a support group for the soldiers. The historical
Jeffrey Carrier
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In the Shadow of Rome is amazing.

A superb author, Joanna B McGarry has created a parallel historic world and a steamy story that kept me flying through the pages.Takong place during the greatest empires in historyI was drawn in from the beginning by this alternate world and the very heroic young adults who race through it in this tale of intrigue and adventure. The characters are compelling, fun to follow throughout their journey of discovery. There were surprises all along the way. Terrific rea
Jane
Feb 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
The author has certainly the historical research- I was back there flying through time, there was adventure, scary battles, roman settlements. the Characters were real. We know through history that the romans were civilised and to this day we marvel at what the romans did for us, in quite brutal times. The author conveys this well.
Well written good storyline. Recommended
Thomas Zman
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read

This book made me feel a great many emotions. The characters were well developed as was the setting. I was especially surprised by the battle scenes as well as the more tender moments. I highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in Roman history, and am looking forward to any more books from this talented writer.
Gilbert Nicol
John Graves
Nov 13, 2019
Mattie Madigan
Nov 22, 2019

• Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • The Muslim Prince: What if Diana hadn't died?
  • Origins (Seventeen #5)
  • The Saxon Spears (Song of Ash, #1)
  • KING of ATHELNEY: The Saga of Wessex (The Saga of Wessex and the Danes Book 2)
  • The Centurion Chronicles Book 12 "The Final Rebellion"
  • The Saxon Might (Song of Ash #3)
  • A King to Die: Empire of Israel Book 3
  • Longsword (V): The King's Rebels
  • Knight of Rome Part IV
  • Longsword [#6] The Broken Arrow
  • El Campeador (Reconquista Chronicles #2)
  • The Midgard Serpent: A Novel of Viking Age England (The Norsemen Saga Book 10)
  • Fire and Earth (Legion, #2)
  • Blood and Bones (Legion, #1)
  • Destiny (Seventeen #6)
  • With Dark Understandings: A Novel
  • When You Kant Figure It Out, Ask a Philosopher: Timeless Wisdom for Modern Dilemmas

News & Interviews