Start by marking “Big Summer” as Want to Read:

Big Summer

The #1 New York Times bestselling author of the nothing short of brilliant (People) Mrs. Everything returns with an unforgettable novel about friendship and forgiveness set during a disastrous wedding on picturesque Cape Cod.

Six years after the fight that ended their friendship, Daphne Berg is shocked when Drue Cavanaugh walks back into her life, looking as lovely and
Expected publication: May 19th 2020 by Atria Books

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: May 19, 2020
    **ENTER FOR A CHANCE TO WIN AN EARLY COPY OF JENNIFER WEINER'S NEXT NOVEL, BIG SUMMER!!**

#1 New York Times bestselling author Jennifer Weiner is back

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 100 copies available, 5425 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 27 - Apr 03, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Big Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Summer

Start your review of Big Summer
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Wow! Fat-shaming, dangers of social media, frenemies, entertaining, riveting, interesting plot with well-developed, impeccable characterization and its Jennifer brilliant Weiner book! Theres nothing say more! Im all in!

Two things I adored about the book:

1) Our MC Daphne, her struggles, family relations, her inner securities and her fight against self-loathing, learning to self-respect, turning it into a shining, growing, successful business opportunity. Yes, she is social media influencer, shes
    etherealfire
    Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I won this ARC in a GoodReads Giveaway in exchange for a fair review. My thanks to GR, the publisher and the author for this opportunity.

This is not my typical go-to genre nor do I feel like I am the ideal demographic for this book. Even so, I was spellbound from the beginning and finished this in one sitting. When things became twisty in the middle of the book I was completely unprepared for it and found I could not stop reading until I reached the riveting conclusion. Still I felt the first
    Kendall
    Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I was actually really surprised with Big Summer.

Jennifer Weiner explores some heavy issues in this one around social media, societal views on women, and women's body image.

Our main character Daphne Berg has been made fun of and judged by her body her entire life. Sadly, she was made fun of by her best friend Drue. Drue is quite the typical bombshell beauty but is extremely stuck up and just mean. Drue of course begs Daphne to be her bridesmaid because she is getting married.

There is a
    Theresa Alan
    Mar 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    The first half of this novel is written in the style Ive come to know and love from Ms. Weiner. Daphne Berg was a scholarship student at a private school. She was friends with the nerdy misfits, but she was honored to bask in glow of Drue Lathrop Cavanaugh, the wealthy, beautiful girl, who sometimes made Daphne feel like the queen of the world and sometimes made her feel insecure because of her bigger size in a world of skinny, cosmetic-surgery-enhanced rich people.

Daphne has done her best to
    Amy Imogene Reads
    Jennifer Weiner's latest is full of surprises and a deep dive into the world of influencers, body image, and acceptance.

Characters: ★★★★
    Body Image Discussions: ★★★
    Plot/Arc: ★★★★

Daphne is a plus-size influencer in our modern world of Instagram, hashtags, and body acceptance. But she's still at the "accepting" part when it comes to her own bodyand the life she leads on Instagram is a constant push/pull with her internal monologue.

Drue Cavanaugh used to be Daphne's best friend, but when she burned
    Tucker

Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
    Genre: Womens Fiction
    Publisher: Simon & Schuster
    Pub. Date: May 19, 2020

Vacation primes us for the pleasure of reading light books with plots that are not too heavy or thought-provoking. Usually, the reader just wants to unwind in the sun, the sand, and a story. Beach books are at their best when read on a beach, which is where this reviewer read Big Summer. There are two timelines in the novel, 1994 and 2018. They do not intertwine. The prologue takes place in 1994. We meet Christina
    Dianne
    Mar 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I will say that this was a good but slightly depressing book for the first 2/3 of the book (fat-shaming, bullying, stuff that when I went to school 45 years ago we didn't have to put up with on this level.) with a lot of terrible behavior on the females part. Surprisingly it turns into a very good mystery for about the last 1/3 that I didn't see coming.

This book also gives those who aren't familiar with all types of social media (like me) a look into what they are missing -in my opinion, we
    Toni
    Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: 2020-arcs
    Im excited about this book! Jennifer Weiner tackles plus size women and fat-shaming head-on in this novel, as it should be. Of course she does it with humor and honesty, but wrapped in a story of two bffs from high school into their adult lives. One is a girl of privilege the other was the scholarship girl at the fancy prep school they attended together.
    Life happens; so much life.
    As the second half unfolds, were suddenly involved in a mystery of a who dunnit, with most of the characters from
    Jen
    Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
    A fun and flirty book that hits on heavy topics, the newest from Jennifer Weiner was a fast read. As always, the author gives luscious descriptions of the settings and its wonderfully written. The main character Daphne is intensely likable and completely relatable. I am confused about the plot, as it starts out in a different tone then switches completely for the rest of the book. While it did tie in together by the end, it was a confusing mood switch that left me feeling adrift. The book was ...more
    Heather Fineisen
    Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
    The first half of this book is like chick lit, evolving into mystery in the second half. This is a very good read but the transition doesn't quite work. What does work is the story of an internet influencer who is plus size and her struggles and relationshipsships. I wish Weiner would have stuck with this formula throughout instead of becoming an okay whodunit. Weiner captures the soul of the plus size protagonist and creates a world one can relate to.

Copy provided by the Publisher and
    Jennifer Lynn
    Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Big Summer turned out to be a completely different book than I was expecting, in the best way possible.

The prologue was intriguing and pulled me right in, which left me incredibly disoriented at the start of part one when there was no discernable connection to the prologue or its characters or setting.

Part one read like other Jennifer Weiner novels, an exploration of female friendships, a main character battling expectations and body positivity and the frenemy who although the main character
    Di
    Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Great story....socially relevant in our times of social media, body shaming and bullying. Plus size Daphne is the main character who is a social media influencer. She claims to be accepting of herself but the old old insecurities of her youth come sneaking through. The first half of the book is about Daphne and her life. It moved along as one would expect.

Then, BOOM! It becomes a mystery. Totally out of nowhere. About halfway through the book. A fast moving mystery. Daphne was a very likeable
    Erin
    Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Thanks to NetGalley and Atria Books for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest review.

I was very excited to get an email from the publisher offering me an advanced copy without requesting it as I am a huge Jennifer Weiner fan going back to her Good in Bed days. BIG SUMMER has been my favorite of her more recent books.

While I don't really relate to influencer Daphine, I found her fascinating and like that she talked about the challenges of being a lower level influencer and how she is trying
    Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Wow! I really enjoyed this new story by Jennifer Weiner. Her writing has always proven to be good and stories well written, but throwing in a twist of a mystery made this one even more enjoyable! Definitely recommend this to any one.
    Jamie
    Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
    I liked this book good enough but I wasnt blown away. Im a huge Jennifer Weiner fan, Ive read all her books and last years Mrs. Everything was one of my favorite reads and maybe one of my top fives of all time.
    This book felt disjointed and the prologue- which I enjoyed didnt make any sense to the rest of the book. It took me several chapters to actual get interested because the characters and writing was all over the place. It felt to me like this book was thrown together without any heart. Ive
    Meghan
    Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: library
    This book was received as an ARC from Atria Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

This book is perfect for the kickoff of the summer season. I also love the fact that Jennifer Weiner is big on drama and the impact it has on the plot. Daphne and Drue had a fight that costed their friendship and have not spoken to eachother in years but when Due and Daphne cross paths, they reconnect and Drue asks Daphne to be her maid of honor
    Emily
    Mar 12, 2020 added it
    I declare May 19 the official start to summer this year. That is the day that @jenniferweinerwrites book #BigSummer will be released into the world. This book is a pure delight. A present day kaleidoscope of characters and events that includes an Instagram influencer, fancy wedding, mystery man, a housekeeper, best friend(s), a detective, crotchety sailing teacher, and MORE; all with Cape Cod and NYC as the backdrop.
    If you love a good beach read this is a book to pre-order or put in your library
    Jillian
    Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
    Thank you to Netgalley and to Simon and Schuster for personally emailing me with an invite to read this book! I was really looking forward to it and based on the synopsis it seemed like it would be like Jennifer Weiners other books.

The book seemed to be like two different books in one. The first half was what Id usually expect and I was really enjoying the Daphne character and her Instagram presence and her relationships, etc.

However there is a change of course abruptly in the book and it
    Jill Dobbe
    Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Mysteries are not really my thing, however, I did enjoy Jennifer Weiner's latest. The plus-sized main character was relatable and her worries and concerns with dating, her weight and self-concept were entertaining and true-to-life. Somewhat predictable, I still found Big Summer to be an easy and enjoyable read. Another good one from Weiner.

Thank you Goodreads and publisher.
    Torrie Tovar
    Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
    This book was hard to put down! Daphne was so relatable. There were times when it was hard to read because it hit so close to home.

It had a HUGE twist that I was not expecting! It had my mouth on the ground. But I'm not going to post spoilers.

It deals with social media and how everything isn't as it seems. That even people who seem to have perfect lives have problems we can't see.

I love that it pointed out that all anyone really wants and needs in life is for someone to love them. And to love
    Cynthia
    Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Book Review: Big Summer, by Jennifer Weiner, published by Simon & Schuster

First, thank you to Net Galley and Simon & Schuster for the opportunity to read Big Summer in exchange for an honest review.

As an avid fan of Jennifer Weiner I jumped at the chance to read Big Summer. After having read Mrs. Everything and falling for its multi-dimensional characters, I knew that there would be so much to like in Big Summer too, especially from a character perspective.

Let me start by saying I wasnt
    Krista
    Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
    **A huge thank-you to NetGalley and Atria for an ARC of this book**

This will be a great beach read!

While reading the first half of the book - I kept thinking that things just didn't make sense about some of the events that were happening- but it was a lovely story about a plus-size social media influencer and her trials and tribulations with being a plus-size person in a size 0 world. I related a lot to the Daphne of the first half of the book, and it was very Weiner-esque which was lovely.

At
    Jessica C
    Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
    An ARC of Jennifer Weiners Big Summer was such a delight! Daphne Berg has worked unbelievably hard to make it as a plus-size influencer on Instagram. She walked away wounded, embarrassed and hurt from her childhood friend, Drue Cavanaugh. So years later, when Drue seeks her out and asks for her to be her maid-of-honor in her upscale Cape Cod wedding, Daphne is shocked. Something about Drue has always made it hard for Daphne to say no and before long she finds herself carrying out her MOH duties ...more
    Brittany
    Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley, 2020-reads
    This was the perfect stress-relieving read that we all need right now! Daphne Berg is a plus-size influencer, living a successful single-girl life in NYC. When her high-school frenemy, Drue Cavanaugh, asks her to be a bridesmaid in her summer wedding, Daphne reluctantly agrees. Both women, as well as Drue's fiance, will benefit from the online exposure. Daphne meets a great guy at the wedding, but things take a turn for the weird when someone is murdered right before the wedding. Suddenly, ...more
    Andrea
    Mar 14, 2020 rated it liked it
    I didn't request this book; it appeared. I was reluctant as I was lukewarm on Mrs. Everything [enjoyed the 60-70s flashbacks/walks down memory lane--but not much else]. I decided to go ahead since it said it was set on Cape Cod {which I love, but there really was not much Cape stuff].

Billed as "...a poweful tale of friendship and forgiveness..." Yes, well... Nonetheless, it wasn't a bad read, but...
    And the title: Big Summer: A Novel--definitely a summer read.

I totally identified with Daphne's
    Stephanie
    Mar 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
    I received an Advanced Copy of this book, in exchange for my opinions. I loved this book. It had so many twists and turns. Not your typical Jennifer Weiner book, more of a mystery who-done-it that kept my attention til the end.
    C. Purtill
    Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
    Oh yes! This was not just fun but a great page-turner. I'm one of Jennifer Weiner's fans from her first book, Good in Bed, which was such a wonderful story with great characters, sizzle and charm. "Big Summer" is very reminiscent of that: Daphne is a "plus size" influencer on Instagram who is invited to her former bff's wedding (ulterior motives on Drue's part? hmmm). There's love and revenge, of course, as most weddings have (hence the fun!) but this one also has a major mystery (hence the page ...more
    Rachel
    Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Big Summer by Jennifer Weiner is a fabulous story that is both a light, breezy womens fictional novel and a deeper, poignant general fictional novel that delves into some of the fundamentals of who we are as a person and why we become what we are today.

I have read Ms. Weiners previous book, Mrs. Everything, and thoroughly enjoyed it, so I was certainly excited to be able to dive into Big Summer. This book was a surprising read in the fact that at first I thought it would be a lighter, beachy
    Tiffany Foskey
    Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
    Daphne Berg is a Instagram influencer, she is a big woman who has always struggled with her weight until one night when a girl she thought was her best friend showed her true colors. That night changed Daphne's way of thinking about her weight life in general. She becomes a successful influence who is confident in her own body and life. Until that old best friend comes back into her life asking her of all things to be her maid of honor at her society wedding. I loved this book just as I have all ...more
    « previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Devil's Highway: A True Story
    • The Eighth Girl
    • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
    • Paris Never Leaves You
    Jennifer Weiner is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of sixteen books, including Good in Bed, In Her Shoes, and, most recently, Mrs. Everything. A graduate of Princeton University and contributor to the New York Times Opinion section, she lives with her family in Philadelphia. Visit her online at JenniferWeiner.com.