Start by marking “The Serpent's Curse (The Last Magician, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Serpent's Curse (The Last Magician, #3)

The Serpent's Curse

(The Last Magician #3)

Evade the serpent.

Heed the curse.

Rewrite the present.

Esta isn’t a stranger to high-stakes heists. She’s a seasoned thief who has no reservations about using her affinity for time to give her an edge, and she’s trained her whole life for one mission: travel back to 1902 New York, steal the ancient Book of Mysteries, and use its power to destroy the Brink and free the Mage
Published April 13th 2021 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about The Serpent's Curse, please sign up.
Clara I would assume that it is coming out at some point in late 2019 early 2020. The first book came out in July 2017, and the second October 2018. That's …moreI would assume that it is coming out at some point in late 2019 early 2020. The first book came out in July 2017, and the second October 2018. That's a 1 year and 3 month gap between book which, if we assume stays the same (hard to assume in trilogy since we only have 1 data point) which puts us at January 2020. That's my guess.(less)

Start your review of The Serpent's Curse (The Last Magician, #3)
hillary ☾
I love big books, especially if they involve a certain angsty couple and an amazing magic system. I’m SO READY (actually....I need to reread both TLM and TDT before I can get to this one but that’s just details 🥲)

******

Excuse me while I start reading The Devil’s Thief and doom my existence because there’s no publication date for this book yet.
Angelica
Sep 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
So.... we’re not gonna mention that 900+ page count
No? Ok.
I'm scared y'all. I'm excited and I'm scared
Helena of Eretz ✰
I received this complimentary ARC from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
July 2019: THE COVER IS GORGEOUS!! GIVE IT TO ME!

//////

I want it now. 😭👀
Alexa
Aug 27, 2019 marked it as tbr-2021-releases
Am I screaming because there is suddenly a cover for this novel?
Why, yes. Yes, I am.
Morgan
Jun 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
According to Goodreads this is now a 2021 release, Ms. Maxwell is making me nervous...

The Last Magician: ★★★★★
The Devil's Theif: ★★★

Will Lisa Maxwell redeem herself after making the perfect duology into a trilogy and adding a completely unnecessary book in the middle? Let's hope so because The Last Magician is one of my favorites and I really want to love this one too.
asbah
Sep 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
apparently the cover and title have been leaked and iM IN LOVE 😍😍😍 it really is the year of snakes huh
Becky Boudreau
Dec 29, 2019 marked it as to-read
Hands down prettiest covers in a series. Sorry, I don’t make the rules.

Books 1 and 2 have created such an intense and fun story, so excited for the conclusion!
☀︎El In Oz☀︎
The wait for this has me dying
The Last Magician (The Last Magician #1)
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
The Devil’s Thief (The Last Magician #2)
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
nally nalka
Sep 05, 2020 marked it as anticipated-releases
*update*
Pre-orders for this are open omg I absolutely cannot wait🥲! April 13 gurll please make haste!!!!

NOOOOOOOO THIS HAS BEEN PUSHED BACK TO SUMMER 2021?!?!
I was excitedly counting down to December and now..... day ruined!
Kiki Forest
AHAHSJFJSDI this cover will drive me insane and April is too far away for me to wait
Kayleigh
Mar 10, 2021 rated it it was ok
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for letting me read this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

Spoilers are hidden below.

Diving back into this series after a three year gap between the second and third book was difficult. This book jumps right back into the action immediately where book 2 left off which is great for readers who are binge reading the series but confusing for readers like me who waited the three years for publication. I wish the book had started with a recap of what had h
Meghan
Feb 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing - Margaret K. McElderry Books in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

Having read the first two books in the series and completely loving them, I expected nothing less from The Serpent's Curse and was not disappointed. One of the reasons I loved this series was that there was action and drama on every page and this book was no different. A thrillride that
Heather
Apr 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: this is a 4.5 star read. But it's a really, really solid 4.5 stars and this godforsaken hellsite is making me round up. Anyways, feel free to bury me with this series.

It's only been a year since I got into this series, but The Last Magician is without a doubt the most underrated series I've ever read. It's the perfect blend of fantasy and historical fiction, magic and wonder, and hits literally every single mark of what I look for in a series. After discovering that this third book w
Janette
Jul 12, 2019 marked it as to-read
The cover is perfection. The title is badass. I need it...now.
Cayla (King Cayla Books)
Sep 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
9/29/2019

I just noticed the cover is out and it’s gorgeous!!! I can’t wait to read!
Anna♥Reading
Jan 18, 2020 marked it as to-read
Wow. This cover is everything!! Never heard of this series before, but damn... I want to read it now🤩
Gibs.z
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I cannot wait to read this book, it's big (900+ pages omg) and I just love this series ...more
Megan
Mar 06, 2021 rated it did not like it
Thank you Netgallery and the publisher for letting me read this eARC in exhange for an honest review.
Serpents curse was a total disappointed. The first book in this series was amazing, but after that I felt like this series has gone down hill. The author throws so much useless information into this book, that the plot, character development, etc gets lost behind all the random bits of information. Another thing that had be rate this book so low, was that there was new terms for a group of peopl
michelle (magical reads)

read on my blog

rep: lesbian main character, Chinese main character, Black side characters
cw: mentions of past parental abuse (emotional, physical), forced drug use

I have no interest in being some kind of hero. I don’t want to die to save the world. But I’d happily give my life to save you.

I really enjoyed the first two books in this series, so I’ve been eagerly anticipating this book for years. Now it’s finally out! The Serpent’s Curse was a thrilling continuation of the Last M
Khris Erickson
Mar 28, 2021 rated it liked it
I'm very torn on how many stars to give "The Serpent's Curse". On the one hand I love the adventures of Esta and Harte, but on the other it just doesn't measure up to "The Last Magician" or even to "The Devil's Thief". I'd give it a 3.5 star rating if possible, but I just didn't like it enough to give it a 4 star review.

The first problem I encountered is that it picked right up from where "The Devil's Thief" left off, and it's been several years since I read that. There wasn't any kind of a rec
Teri
Apr 12, 2021 rated it liked it
I read the previous book in this series three years ago, and this novel dives right back into the story without any sort of recap. I struggled for several chapters, but still can’t remember one of the characters mentioned.

The relationship drama between Esta and Harte that weighed down the previous book for me isn’t as prevalent this time around, which was a relief. They actually spend about half of the novel in separate storylines of their own that come with some surprises – especially for Harte
Ben Truong
The Serpent's Curse is the third and penultimate book in the The Last Magician series written by Lisa Maxwell and centered on Esta Filosik – a Mageus Theif and Harte Darrigan.

In 1904, protagonists Esta and Harte continue their cross-country quest to gather the stones to stop threats both mythical and corporeal. Meanwhile, back in 1902 New York City, their compatriots Viola, Jianyu, and Cela continues to work against two opposing threats: Nibsy Lorcan and the Order.

The Serpent's Curse is written
Mrs. Kenyon
Apr 05, 2021 rated it liked it
Esta knows what she is doing. Not only is she an experienced thief, she also is able to travel in time. There is one mission she wants to be successful with and it will require her to travel to 1902 New York. As with many plans, there is a problem. A goddess was trapped in the artifact and she wants to use Esta to destroy the world. Esta now has a new mission, but will time be on their side?

The Serpent’s Curse is the third book in The Last Magician series. I usually love third books. The reader
Mar 31, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-arcs
The Serpent's Curse reunites us with all the main players from The Devil's Thief - some in comically reduced roles, but everyone alive is present.
This book is a lot. There are a lot of timelines going on, there are a lot of pro/anti magic groups, and a lot of repetition of events.
I honestly don't even know what to do with the pregnancy storyline. It made me so annoyed with both characters involved, as they basically opt to not bother worrying about something that might impact them if it's true.
I
Jen
Apr 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Better than B2 but that’s not saying a whole bunch.

There was definite lag from B2 that carried over. Luckily, the second half got better... relatively speaking.

I really hate Jack POV and I skimmed. I also really, really hate North.

But the heart is still there and that is Esta and Harte. There was FINALLY some momentum with their relationship.

So I will definitely finish the series when B4 comes out.
Kanita
Feb 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Nikki
Apr 13, 2021 added it
I planned on reading this book, but it's been so long since I've read the 2nd book that I would need a refresher. Plus, the 2nd book wasn't as good as the first one imo and it kind of lost me. This one is 700+ pages or more and I do not have the energy or the motivation to plow through a book that big.

Maybe I'll revisit the series some day...
Lovely Loveday
The Serpent's Curse is the third book in The Last Magician series by Lisa Maxwell. Having read the first two books in the series and completely loving them, I expected nothing less from The Serpent's Curse and was not disappointed. The story pulled me in from the beginning and left me wanting more.
Misty
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arc
5 AMAZINGLY MAGICAL STARS!!! Review to come. I need to process this one for a bit. It took me a bit to get through because I paused and read another book but this was SO well worth the wait.

I had high expectations for this series and was not let down one single bit!!

• The Deck of Omens (The Devouring Gray, #2)
  • Unravel the Dusk  (The Blood of Stars, #2)
  • Fable (Fable, #1)
  • Promise of Darkness (Dark Court Rising, #1)
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • The Life Below (The Final Six, #2)
  • The Final Six (The Final Six, #1)
  • The Ex Talk
  • V for Vendetta
  • Small Favors
  • Tarnished Are the Stars
  • Forged in Fire and Stars (Loresmith, #1)
  • The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Aru Shah and the Tree of Wishes (Pandava Quartet, #3)
  • All the Stars and Teeth (All the Stars and Teeth, #1)
  • Something to Talk About
  • Spellbreaker (Spellbreaker Duology, #1)
Lisa Maxwell is the New York Times Best-Selling author of THE LAST MAGICIAN. Also of UNHOOKED, SWEET UNREST, and GATHERING DEEP. When she's not writing books, she teaches English at a local college. She lives near DC with her very patient husband and two not-so patient boys. ...more

The Last Magician (4 books)
  • The Last Magician (The Last Magician, #1)
  • The Devil's Thief (The Last Magician, #2)
  • Untitled (The Last Magician #4)

Articles featuring this book

Gothic romance, dueling family restaurants, West African magic, and much, much more! It sure looks like 2021 is shaping up to be a year of...