Start by marking “Gold Wings Rising (Skybound, #3)” as Want to Read:
Gold Wings Rising (Skybound, #3)

Gold Wings Rising

(Skybound #3)

In the final installment of this LGBTQ fantasy series, Kylee and Brysen must fight for their lives and their humanity. Book 1 was a Today Show Book Club Pick!

The war on the ground has ended, but the war with the sky has just begun. After the Siege of the Six Villages, the ghost eagles have trapped Uztaris on both sides of the conflict. The villagers and Kartami alike hide
Published September 1st 2020 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (Byr)

To ask other readers questions about Gold Wings Rising, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gold Wings Rising

Start your review of Gold Wings Rising (Skybound, #3)
Grüffeline
Feb 13, 2021 rated it liked it
"When death has drawn your map of days,
Best take your feet some other ways."

My first rating below four stars this year. It started out very promising, though.
I was drawn in immediatly and I almost no problems getting into the story despite having read the last intstallment years ago and remembering excactly nothing. But at some point I just started feeling lost. I couldn't keep up with the actions and decisions of any character in this book. I didn't understand the consequences, the train
Bethany
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
Black Wings Beating: 5 stars
Red Skies Falling: 4.5 stars
Gold Wings Rising: 4 stars

Overall Series Rating: 4.5 stars

An epic ending to this underhyped trilogy! I really wish more people would pick them up because the character work and world-building are top-notch and unlike what others in YA fantasy are doing. I can't say too much because this is book 3, but the central relationship in the series is between siblings who come from an abusive home and have a complicated relationship. Their character
USOM
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Gold Wings Rising is glorious. From the first chapter, you are immersed in detailed, atmospheric, powerful prose not to mention the emotions that will wash over you. It's hard to review the last book in a series without dwelling on the character growth and evolution, but this book hit me in the feels immediately. Gold Wings Rising is a stunning book about family, sacrifice, and war.
Rebeca
Oct 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
What a creative concept with beautiful writing.

Much of the book was character driven but bringing the story into a smooth conclusion. It’s no surprised that I enjoyed the story as I have been a fan of London for a long time.

“It’s like my scars. They’re a reminder of the wounds, but they’re also a reminder that wounds heal.”
DJ
Sep 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Red Skies Falling>Gold Wings Rising> Black Wings Beating.

This was overall a good conclusion to the series. There were a lot of twists and wild things that happened I could have never predicted or foreseen in book 1. I was very surprised to see how much I loved both Brysen and Kylee. If you read my reviews for the first 2 books in the series, you'll see how much I disliked both of them in the beginning. I love how much they grew on me as I read more.

I've also mentioned in other reviews that for
Francesca
Sep 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Brilliant conclusion to a brilliant trilogy
Isaac
I'm so torn on what to rate this. I think I'll settle on 4.5 stars. Still a great conclusion, but it's not as good as Red Skies Falling.

-I still love most of the characters. Brysen and Kylee's development is so clear and so well-done.
-I hate Ryven. Not as a person, as a character. He exists purely to be a plot device, and nothing about his character makes any sense.
-The romance was still adorable.
-This book had an excellent portrayal of someone adapting to a disability.
-The portrayal of cycles
Trisha Perry
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this the third and last book of the series the war on the ground is done now but now it is Kylee and Brysen turn to fight for the sky. Everyone wants the ghost eagle for its glory and power. When a ghost eagle egg appears and Brysen finds it he knows he must take it where it will be safest, the blood birch forest and the owl mothers, and he will need all of his friends and his sister to help him get it there because others have found out what he has. But when Brysen and Kylee uncover the who ...more
Katie
Sep 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A great ending to the series! Wrapped things up well and was very emotional. I loved learning the backstory to the ghost eagles and I loved what the characters decided to do for their community and world!
Ben Howard
Jan 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2021
This trilogy is so good. Get into it!
Sabrina
Sep 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Guess what. I still love Jowyn with all my heart.

I can’t believe this is the end. I will miss these characters a lot. Great ending to this series!
Aaron
Dec 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
YES YES YES ALL THE WAY YES. the perfect ending to a wild ride of a fantasy story. BRYWYN FOR EVER!!!!!!!!
Will
Sep 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
"Change isn't collapse."

Picking up this last installment really brought "Fall is here" vibes to me after reading each previous one about the same time of year, like clockwork. Unfortunately, I think this one gave me the most frustration of any in the trilogy, and certainly took me the longest to read.

Truthfully, I never really understood why Red Skies Falling ended the way that it did. (view spoiler)
Michael
“If help was given only to those who deserved it, civilization would’ve collapsed a long time ago,” Brysen said.

I struggled with a rating for this one. The theme of learning from your past, changing as a person and as a people, of giving help to everyone regardless of what they have done, is powerful and broad reaching. And the story comes to the conclusions it does and makes me feel hopeful for humanity. But it gets there despite some flaws in the telling.

First, I loved Brysen for all his many
Victoria
This series was such a unique series to read. I loved the idea of birds being a focus, and after the ending of book 2, I had no idea where this book would lead. What I did know was that it would break open the story’s world as we knew it.

We return to Kylee and Brysen in this book. Each twin has grown in their own way throughout the book series, and they continue to grow in this one. Kylee is still very headstrong, and she still struggles sometimes, but I also see the strength she has grow. Brys
Simi Sunny
Mar 12, 2021 rated it really liked it
Estel
Oct 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a very fitting ending to an amazing trilogy that deals with themes of abuse, recovery, love, and breaking the cycle of intergenerational violence and trauma. It does so in a way that I think works very well to introduce the intended audience to ways of handling this healthily, while still giving a lot of hope. There's a wonderful diversity of gender and sexualities among our cast, and they feel like real, flawed people that need a hug and to be sheltered from the horrors of their world b ...more
Haley Campbell
Sep 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was the conclusion to the Skybound trilogy and I feel it did a nice job of wrapping everything up. ⁣
Like the previous books, it’s told from Brysen and Kylee’s perspectives, with random perspectives at the end of each section. I find myself enjoying Kylee’s sections more than Brysen’s, though I will say Brysen has grown on me quite a bit. ⁣
Some things I loved: the fact that it’s a queer fantasy trilogy about birds. There is so much representation in this book and I am here for it! Brysen and
Allison
Nov 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
I enjoyed reading this final installment to the Skybound trilogy. I really liked how the book ended because it didn't seem rushed at all and everything made sense. As soon as I started the book I remembered how everything went in the last two as the writing is just so detailed. The character arcs were very well done and I would have given the book five stars except for some pacing things in the beginning/middle which was why it took me over a week to read as some parts just seemed to drag on whi ...more
Megan
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BranPap
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, fantasy, ya, fiction
Okay so the ending moral of 'sometimes you need to let yourself have space to grieve and then take that solace to build something new from the ashes' was maybe a LITTLE on the nose this week, but hey, that just means it's a relatable text, right?

Anyways, I love this story, I love this world, I love this world-BUILDING, and I love Kylee and Brysen. My aro-ace queen and gay king, respectively. Jowyn is a bi icon.

Give me more escapist fantasy with such a lively cast of queer characters that also m
Kendra Lawrence
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this little trilogy. Gay and ace representation, and the bird theme felt original. The characters have to make tough choices, and there are lessons to be learned about cycles humans can get caught in when they repeat history.

The ending was hopeful, filled with promise. I would have liked to have known more about the sky burials and souls going to the sky, and also more about the world itself, but that's just the lore addict in me.

All in all, I enjoyed this series. There seems t
Karen Cohn
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is the third book in a series. In the first book, we meet Kylee and Brysen, who are twins who were abused by their father (she mentally, while watching their father abuse him physically), and not protected by their mother, a common pattern in child abuse. They live in the Six Villages, a society centered on catching, taming, racing, fighting, and selling a wide variety of birds of prey. In the continuation from the first two books, Kylee and Brysen are attempting to control the ghost eagles ...more
Naomi Waters
Sep 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, lgbtq, reviewed
This book just wasn't it for me. Kylee kinda got on my nerves in this book, and I didn't even give a crap about Brysen (who is still my favorite character). I found the story of the ghost eagles absolutely fascinating but not enough to bump this up another star. This is just another YA book to me, one I will only remember because I love the first two in the trilogy so much.
And apparently we have a ghost eagle turn into a phoenix in this.
Mooooooo
Dec 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-period
This is such a beautiful closing for the trilogy. Alex, you are otherworldly. This is just heaven.

This book talked to me with its lessons, the way you carved their pain, their journey, and finally, their realization.

I love Kylee and Brysen so much, and the worldbuilding that you did for this book is magnificent. Wow. Honestly, I'm just speechless right now, I don't know what to write because this book is that amazing. Alex, you are amazing.
Ginny Kaczmarek
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant end to this trilogy. I was relieved to come through the war into this more complicated, compelling storyline. It flips everything outside down, forcing the reader to re-examine what you think you know, alongside the characters. At times some of the travelers felt extraneous—there only to get killed off—and the grande finale might have gone in a bit too long. But I really loved this series and was all in.
Veronica
Sep 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt, owned
Although I enjoyed the ending, I feel like it pales in comparison to the first two books in the trilogy, so my actual rating is 3.5 stars (technically I would say 3.7 if that was something I could do). Either way, I’ve been waiting for this series to conclude since the start and I’m glad to have taken this journey with you, Mr. London! :)
Matt
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the strength's of London's trilogy is how different they feel in terms of forward action for the protagonists. Kylee and Brysen learn and grow and face new and evolving threats, but each book feels distinct and separate, even as elements span and unite the story. I really enjoyed it and look forward to future entries from London. ...more
Bianca
Mar 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
one of my favourite conclusions + series, hands down. i’m so glad i picked up 2 + 3 after having read black wings beating a few years ago!! a powerful, moving series with intriguing worldbuilding from start to finish. i feel very lucky to have read this. it’s one of those series that would transpose beautifully into a tv series or movie series. sooooo good!!!
Ashley Woodard
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wow, what an interesting series! I picked this up at random, the audiobook, and I'm really happy I did! Such a unique world. I really enjoyed both narrators as well. I never hear anyone talking about this series, so I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to try something new! Lots of LGBT rep as well, one of the main characters is asexual and the other is gay, I believe. ...more
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 9780374306892 2 9 Oct 03, 2020 04:37PM

• The Anti-Virginity Pact
  • Stitching a Life: An Immigration Story
  • The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness
  • The Death of Vivek Oji
  • As the Shadow Rises (The Age of Darkness, #2)
  • Bloom
  • Passing
  • The Fascinators
  • Winter's Orbit
The Short Version:

Alex London writes books for adults (One Day The Soldiers Came: Voices of Children in War), children (Dog Tags series; An Accidental Adventure series) and teens (Proxy). At one time a journalist reporting from conflict zones and refugee camps, he is now a full time novelist living in Brooklyn, NY, where he can be found wandering the streets talking to his dog, who is the real bra

Skybound (3 books)
  • Black Wings Beating (Skybound, #1)
  • Red Skies Falling (Skybound, #2)

News & Interviews