Start by marking “Fault Lines in the Constitution: The Graphic Novel: The Framers, Their Fights, and the Flaws That Affect Us Today” as Want to Read:

(World Citizen Comics)

In 1787, after 116 days of heated debates and bitter arguments, the United States Constitution was created. This imperfect document set forth America’s guiding principles, but it would also
Published September 22nd 2020 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Fault Lines in the Constitution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fault Lines in the Constitution

Start your review of Fault Lines in the Constitution: The Graphic Novel: The Framers, Their Fights, and the Flaws That Affect Us Today
Rod Brown
Nov 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Even in graphic novel form, it took me a few days to get through this long and packed history and analysis of the U.S. Constitution. The format kept it from bogging down by taking a look at a modern day problem and following that with a flashback to the debates around the originating issue the Founding Fathers had during the Constitutional Convention in the 1780s. It's full of interesting historical tidbits and offers a decent overview.

Drawbacks:
* It's pretty light on diversity, making only pa
Geoff
A very timely book. It's not exactly a graphic novel; much more of a text heavily illustrated and at times the simple cartoonishness of the art detracts from the ideas. At times it drags, but I really liked the way the authors discussed the historical context of the framers, the modern consequences of their decisions, and ways in which states and other countries have addressed those issues. The discussion of population representation inequalities and gerrymandering is especially good.

**Thanks to
Kellyanne
This originally was published in 2017, updated in 2019, and made into a graphic novel in 2020. I’ll just leave this very relevant section from Chapter 19, written before the COVID-19 pandemic:

“In 2017, the CDC adopted rules that followed the federal government to impose national quarantines and prohibit travel from one state to another. In 2018, the Trump administration disbanded the Global Health Security Team, which was in charge of our country’s response in case of a pandemic.

Authorities are
Mary Sanchez
Nov 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A very timely book which I read during the 2020 election. The illustrations held my interest and helped me understand what the historical framers dealt with as they wrote and applied the Constitution to their times. The book also shows modern day applications in the U.S. today and even how our constitution differs from others in the world.

This is a book that could open discussions about the Constitution in the classroom and make it more clear because of the illustrations. I would have liked a b
Tabrizia
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley and First Second for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Very informative and educational, just like the original nonfiction book, but this time being told in graphic novel format! Because of this, I feel younger readers, children and teens, will be more engaged with the information and the story that is being told.
Ms. Yingling
Jun 16, 2020 rated it liked it
E ARC provided by Netgalley

More accessible than the straight nonfiction book because of the pictures, but still lots of good information.
Sandy Brehl
This is long note, but I hope you will read it.
I often recommend books here, most intended for kids. I often point out those that are important reads for adults, too.
I strongly recommend a book for any and every age: Fault Lines in the Constiutution: The graphic book format-
Regardless of your political positions, or insistence that you are NOT political, I urge you to read this. I read the original (by the same author/scholars) and was impressed, informed, but exhausted. This graphic version co
Pat Carson
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nice presentation. Will grab a person who hates lots of text but wants to learn about an important topic.
Kennedy
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was interesting, but somewhat depressing. I feel so discouraged with our country and this highlighted a lot of the problems we face.
Drake
Oct 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think this book will serve its intended audience well. Middle school students just learning about the United States government will get a fun introduction. Anyone else can use it for a quick refresher. The graphic novel format makes it more digestible for a wider audience than its original prose edition.
Lysette H
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
"The latest volume in our World Citizen Comics graphic novel series, Fault Lines in the Constitution teaches readers how this founding document continues to shape modern American society."

In a time when politicians, citizens, and other partisans have tried to convince the world of the simplicity and beauty of the creation of the constitution and birth of the United States, this book presents in an easy to understand format the true nature of the democracy in the US. While I would not really clas
Kari
Oct 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2020
I really enjoyed this ! It is based on the book by the same name but it highlights issues from the present and what the Founders were thinking when they wrote the constitution. It covers things like gerrymandering, the electoral college, and even pandemics! It was written before this pandemic but it has some very pertinent passages. I think it falls a bit short in dealing with our current president. The humorous tone of the book makes more sense when you understand the history. In 15 years when ...more
Dylan Miller
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An excellent introduction to the realities of how the US government came to be. Instead of listing bland facts while omitting truths as most history books do, Fault Lines instead provides information in an easily digestible manner, and appropriate for a wide range of ages. I'd definitely recommend this to be read in classrooms as it is infinitely more engaging than a textbook.
Travis
Fault Lines in the Constitution offers a good overview of the main points in the United States Constitution. Most of this should be familiar to anyone with even a passing knowledge of the government but it's good as a refresher. And it's more valuable for pointing out some of the details the framers left out of the document that defines our country.

Some of the details are purely factual. The lack of a true line of succession is an issue that potentially leads to a lack of continuity in governmen
Jamie Jack
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2020, childrens
Not Always Graphic Novel Style; Lacks Objectivity

As an American who has a deep love for our foundational document of law, this graphic novel intrigued me when I saw it at one of my favorite book review sites. By the way, not all of it reads like a traditional graphic novel with panels and dialogue balloons; parts of it are more just an illustrated book. What I was hoping I would get was an objective view of both the history of the Constitution and how it has been used and abused. Unfortunately,
Emmeline Drake
Dec 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Fault Lines in the Constitution is a good introduction to American politics and its imperfections. Overall the graphic novel did a good job at presenting these topics in a way that is accessible to young teenagers and encourages them to be politically active. There are some topics that felt very surface level, especially filibusters, direct democracy, the example of Senator Hiram Revels, and the role of the Supreme Court didn't seem fully developed.
Jay
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book, despite being written as cartoon drawings, does an excellent job of explaining where our constitution has issues and what other options are used in state and foreign country constitutions. I like that it describes the good and bad both, not being overly critical or overly rhapsodizing about what we have.
Michelle
Sep 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is pretty good. I like how the illustrations helped present the ideas, and I especially liked the modern-day stories of people and how the problems in their lives connect to the things the founders argued over when writing the Constitution. Good job.
Dr. Pepper Ex-Fan
Nov 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
There's a lot of information here, but also (1) there's a chapter on affirmative action that implies the authors agree that with this white woman who thought her application was rejected because she was white, and (2) the authors use the word "anarchy" to mean chaos, as if the current occupant of the White House hasn't already interfered with people's understanding of what anarchists really are.

Two stars, because who knows what else they get wrong but that I now have been misinformed with.
Andréa
Note: I received a digital review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley.
TJ
Nov 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
Good way to explain history and issues with the constitution.
Jonathan H.

• Unrig: How to Fix Our Broken Democracy
  • To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
  • The Times I Knew I Was Gay
  • Welcome To Your Period
  • Giant Days, Vol. 6 (Giant Days, #6)
  • Down Along with That Devil's Bones: A Reckoning with Monuments, Memory, and the Legacy of White Supremacy
  • 古見さんは、コミュ症です。 volume 9
  • Giant Days, Vol. 7 (Giant Days, #7)
  • Steeple
  • Evelyn del Rey Is Moving Away
  • Julián at the Wedding
  • Green and Pleasant Land: Best-Loved Poems of the British Countryside
  • Off to See the Sea
  • Giant Days, Vol. 8 (Giant Days, #8)
  • My Heart Fills With Happiness
  • One Left Alive (Detective Morgan Brookes #1)
  • The Galactic Pantheon Novellas

World Citizen Comics (4 books)
  • Re: Constitutions: Connecting Citizens with the Rules of the Game